Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Endless Crisis ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Endless Crisis: Chapter 3

~~~

Last time:

"Welcome to New York City... population eight million..."

~~~

"How could that many people live in one area? Even in Midgar's greatest day there weren't more than five hundred thousand living on the plate and below it..." Tifa gasped, her eye wide as she gazed at the ruin city.

Biggie chirped in a low tone, the light in his eye dimmed a great deal before he slowly began walking down the path. Cait Sith walked over to Reeve, looking every bit as glum as Biggie had. "'E says that the sign was wrong. The eight was just the people living 'ere. At any time there'd be another twenty million people in the city, visiting or working. Come on tho'... e's living us behind."

Again they started off down the path, which looked a great deal like a beat down highway, the only a little light to guide their way. Everyone was silent in light of what was said. The farther in they went the more things piled up on the sides, halfway to the city strange looking cars littered all sides of the road. They were brightly painted unlike the ones made now, but it was hard to make out much more than that since they were mostly crushed. Cloud was too caught up in his thoughts to even notice though.

"Son of a BITCH!" Yuffie cried out as she hit the ground with a thud.

Everyone turned with weapons in hand, afraid they were under attack. It turned out that she had only tripped on something. "Yuffie you should really be careful where you're walking. You down know what could be hiding..." Tifa said as she bent down to help her up.

"Yea I know..." she muttered. Slowly she reached to grab Tifa's outstretched hand only to catch sight of what tripped her in the first place. Yuffie's scream echoed through the area, stopping everyone in a moment's notice, all weapons drawn.

"Yuffie, what the fuck are you screaming for!!!!???" Cid yelled when they realized that there wasn't anything attacking them.

Yuffie, who was clinging to Tifa for dear life and whimpering, pointed down at her feet.

"Is that... ... ... a skeleton?" Barret asked. And it was a skeleton, thou it was very brittle with age and its arm broken where Yuffie had tripped on it.

Biggie stopped and turned, beeping slightly low as he shuffled back and forth. Cait Sith turned and replied, "Of course it's a skeleton... this was a war zone. The bodies of the dead are everywhere..." Biggie started chirping again before turning back around and continuing down the road, thou he walked much slower now. "The innocent and the soldiers lay everywhere between 'ere and where we're going... you'll get used to it."

~~~

About an hour later they made it down into the heart of the city. Everyone was silent as the passed the remains of the people that had once lived there, Biggie stopped attempting to explain things to the group and Cait Sith refused to push the touchy matter any further.

"Hey... how are the lights on...?" Yuffie asked, the first thing to come out of her mouth since her scream. Very slowly everyone noticed that a building not too far ahead had a few lights. There weren't many lights, but they stood out in the dark city as the group slowly walked towards their destination.

Biggie chirped wildly and started running down the street, completely forgetting his dark mood. "Hurry up, 'e says that we're almost there!"

Everyone chased after the little robot, all the while the dark feeling that Cloud had only got worse.

The closer they got to the building the more they realized that there were more lights the closer they got. And they were moving, slowly but they were moving. Weapons out, the group skidded to halt at the foot of the building as they came face to face with the Weapon. The thing was massive, slowly it stood up and glared down at the group. The lights on its body glowed in bright red streaks around its body, and as it uncoiled from itself it looked like a great snake. It wasn't until it opened its massive wings that they saw that the beast in front of them was a great dragon. Biggie wasted no time in jumping in between the two groups, chirping furiously at the dragon as Cloud and the others watched.

Barret made a move to step in to protect the robot, only to have Cait Sith stop him. "No! E's tellin' the beast that we're here on a peaceful mission!"

So they waited quietly as the two beings conversed, unsure of what they should be doing. Then, after minutes of the dragon growling at the robot, it moved from their path to curl up like a great kitten somewhere off to the side. Biggie waved to the group and grabbed his wagon.

"What the fuck was that all about?" Cid asked as they walked into the building, attempting to follow the quickly moving robot.

"That," Red began as they walked the tiled floor of the lobby, "was the Garnet Weapon. Legend tells that it takes orders directly from the princess because it was made from her very birthstone. It protects her from being awoken to early."

"Does that mean...." Cloud asked. Red only shook his head, unable to answer his question.

The red wagon carefully parked along the wall [the same as he had done for longer than ANY of these people had been alive], Biggie led the group towards the back of the lobby. Everyone watched as the little robot retracted it's antenna until it was gone. Before anyone could ask the antenna shot up and hooked around a pipe above him. Slowly the line tightened and the robot slowly lifted off the ground until he was level with a collection of buttons on the wall. He tapped on pointing down and the wall opened up to an elevator. Biggie dropped to the ground and watched as the group slowly to their place in the elevator.

"You know, if you needed someone to push one of the buttons you could have asked..." Tifa mentioned.

Biggie looked up and gave the impression that he was giving her a smug look as he used his antenna to push another bottom on the wall. "'E says 'e enjoys doing things 'imself," Cait Sith replied. "That and 'e says the look on your faces wuz priceless."

The elevator chimed as it hit the bottom of where it was going. Slowly everyone got out and looked around, amazed at how everything looked. The walls were completely white, giving it a hospital feeling as they walked. The room was almost as big as the lobby upstairs, the only thing occupying the room being a large thing on the opposite side of the room that looked like a computer. Biggie walked across the room and waited next to the computer as he watched the group. Sometimes he thought humans were odd.

"What is this place?" Vincent asked, his underlying suspicions clear in his voice.

Biggie huffed, but replied as he turned to the computer and tapped on it. "'E says that all questions will be answered by 'is master."

"His master is a bunch of blinking lights?" Yuffie asked.

A small tile on the floor opened up as Cait Sith tried to answer. Everyone watched as a machine came up through the floor. The machine blinked to life in a great flash, nearly blinding everyone in the room [except for Biggie since he didn't have eyes...]. As the light receded they noticed that in the place of the lights there was a figure.

The figure was of a man dressed in a lab coat over a pair of baggy jeans and a t-shirt that read 'Wake Me When I Should Care'. Carefully he ran a hand threw his black hair as it hung over on side of his face so he could take a better look at the group.

"He looks like Vinnie!!!" Yuffie gasped.

Vincent took a closer at the projection, and true enough she was right. The man looked like him, but back when he had been in the Turks... before the experiments. But that was where the similarities ended.

"For Christ's sake! It's about fucking time you people got here!!!!" he cried out at the shocked group.

~~~

For those of you that'd like to see what Biggie-Smalls looks like:

http:// sweetstarlights . deviantart . com / art / Biggie-Smalls-78758232

Reviews:

Matrineal: Thanks for all the luv! [super happy] I thought I'd be a great plot twist if they came across a major city from here, I was thinking San Franscico... but then I thought... why not New York? They always seem to be blowing in up in movies, why should this be any different? And it was a highway sign Cloud was reading... I'm just not sure which one...

Tormax: Glad you like the story, it's always nice to hear things like that. Hopefully the story will be just as interesting as it starts picking up, so keep reading!

Thanks to all the +'s! Tormax, Matrineal, mychemicalromance122, aerisxtifa; you guys are great!!! [And anyone else that I forgot!!!]