Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Enemies of the Empire ❯ Enemies of the Empire ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Disclaimer:
Copyright Square-Enix
-------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh God!" Kadaj yelped as the A50s shot at them again. They ran, dark-clad bodies and silver tops, like three painted needles. "Where are we going?"
"Hell if I know!" Loz shouted, directing them to an alcove in the dark buildings. They panted while waiting.

"So AVALANCHE sent 'em, huh?" Kadaj gasped, looking to Yazoo, who was looking angry as usual.

"Well, we aren't the favourite around here..." Yazoo regarded almost dejectedly. He spotted the main water tower that remained from the plate fall. "Tower...?"

The other two peered at it, and Kadaj nodded, leading them out into the open. Two A50s were waiting, and they launched c-tags at them. They ran, and as Kadaj passed a c-tag, he hurled it at an A50 as hard as he could and continued forth. The c-tag reached the A50's leg and blew an Ultima spell on its "knee". The A50 fell on a building, where Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo had just hidden. The other A50 whipped around, and spotted them with its technological eye, firing lasers and starting up its cannon. It could be heard for a ways, a high-pitched humming, dreadful but strange.

"The tower's entrance is closed," Yazoo huffed, "but there are cable connectors from the destroyed ShinRa Corporate Tower." Indeed, as they neared a charred, crumble remnance of the once prominent and thriving ShinRa Corporate Tower, they saw the water tower being anchored to the top by heavy chains that had wood supports, so workers could cross to operate on the water supply. The beautiful clones climbed, tired and unrested from the last night's tirade. They reached the chains, creaking and rusted, boards weakly applied. Kadaj hesitated.

"It's right there, Kadaj, don't be afraid," Yazoo reassured, out of breath. Kadaj saw the A50 a few blocks away, looking for them. Was it really that slow and stupid? Or maybe they had tricked it?

"Kadaj, let's go!" Loz ordered, and Kadaj took his weight on the cables. They followed carefully, the grey city looming below tauntingly. Kadaj was losing balance, and he shouted out, taken ahold of by Yazoo. Unfortunately, the A50 heard him and turned violently. It was useless now. They jumped. The A50 watched as they cascaded into a roofless building full of trash and scraps of machinery. The A50 lingered off, satisfied with its work that they had died.

And nearly had they. Kadaj coughed, called for his brothers. They groaned in pain, sitting up.

"This sucks..." he remarked, getting up, his ankle piercing with a sharp pain when weight was applied. The other two got up, but seemed mostly fine. They walked out, trying to think of another way to get to that tower. If the water tower was highest, then the Underground choppers that flew around here and there would see them, and they would take them out of Midgar until they had a proper plan.

They neared the ShinRa Corporate Tower.

"If we don't make loud noises or move too much," Yazoo explained smartly, "it probably won't even know we're there. No loud noises—" to Kadaj, "no jumping around—" to Loz.

"What're you, my mother?" Loz asked belligerently.

"No. Just the oldest, thanks," Yazoo said with great finality.

Kadaj's ankle had swelled. It was hot and it hurt, but if they could manage to get across, they would be fine until the Underground came. They reached the top, and proceeded to climb across the cables, but, of course, their attempts were thwarted. The A50 from afore saw the cables swaying and calculated no irregular wind movement. Upon inspecting, it saw them. They rushed. They practically crawled frantically across the cables, and the A50 shot the chains, which broke, and all three pulchritudinous men jumped for the base of the water tower. They clung fast, scrambled up the sides. But all was lost. The A50 charged the water tower, and its supports broke, causing the water tower to fall mercilessly.

Black.