Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ FF9:Crystal Nexus ❯ Chapter 2: How I Feel ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 2: How I Feel

“Is everybody on board?” Regent Cid called over to the pilots, who promptly confirmed that no one would be left behind. Garnet turned to face Cid.
“Once again, thank you so much for this, Uncle Cid,” she said, bowing to him. Cid smiled gently.
“Please, don't worry about it, Garnet. We shall take care of them and ensure they all have a place to stay until it is safe to return to their homes.” He took a few steps towards the Hilda Garde 3 then turned to face at Garnet, “If you have any troubles, please let me know immediately. You are still far too young to hold such a burden on your shoulders.”
“Thank you, Uncle Cid. I will.” She bowed again, and then looked over to Zidane, who stood next to Kain. He decided to stay with them, since he had always felt more at ease around Vivi's old friends anyway. Garnet walked up to the two of them, glancing over at the Lindblum airships occasionally. “We should head back to Alexandria. There is nothing more to do here.”
“Maybe,” Zidane replied. Garnet frowned at his sudden disinterest. They headed for the airship, where Zidane immediately separated from the others to one of the rooms below deck. She sighed, and then smiled at Kain.
“Come on, Kain, let's go look at the scenery,” she suggested cheerfully. Kain nodded and followed her to the edge of the ship.

As they flew over the ocean, Kain decided to sit against a wall when he began to feel airsick. Garnet stayed, looking over at the slowly approaching Mist Continent.
“Hey, Garnet?” Kain called over to her. She turned around to look at him. “Where did Zidane go, anyway?”
“He wanted some time to himself,” she replied. “I'll go see if he's alright.” She headed down below deck, and tried to work out which room he was in.
Zidane was sitting on a bed, looking at the pale blue crystal again. Its unusual aura was almost hypnotic as he examined it closely. He looked at the silver clasp around the top of it that had string threaded through, then tied the crystal around his neck and hid it under his shirt. He looked up suddenly as the door inched open and Garnet peered around it.
“Hi,” she said quietly, then walked into the room, shutting the door behind her. “I just came to see if you're alright.” Zidane laid back on the bed.
“Yeah, I'm fine.” He felt the bed sink a little where Garnet had sat down beside him. Lifting his head up to look at her, he could see that she looked troubled. He decided not to say anything though.
“Zidane, are you really alright?” She asked again. He sat up and looked at her irritably.
“Why do you have to keep asking? Didn't I already say I was fine?” Garnet stood up and turned to him.
“Why are you acting like this?” She demanded, “I'm worried about you, yet you've been keeping to yourself and now I feel like I can't even see if you're okay!”
An unusual silence followed; the kind where nothing was said vocally, but just through the two looking into each other's eyes. Eventually, Garnet sighed and prepared to speak again. “Are you...mad at me, Zidane?”
“What? Why would I be mad at you?”
“After we parted at the Iifa Tree, I never returned to look for you. I thought you'd hate me for that.” Zidane stood up and pulled her into an embrace.
“You had Alexandria to think of. I'm happy you didn't leave them just for me.” Garnet smiled and tightly hugged him back. “I'm sorry I've been ignoring you lately. I just needed time to think. A lot had happened, and I wanted to get my head around it.”
“Thank you,” she said quietly, “Come on, let's head up on deck.” Zidane smiled and followed her out of the room.

Leaving the ship, Kain decided to talk with the moogles, after realising that Eiko wasn't there to keep him company. Garnet relayed all information to Beatrix that she knew about the crystals, who suggested researching in the library.
“First, I need to send a letter to Uncle Cid, just to check that everything is alright,” she thought out loud. Zidane waited in the entrance room for her to return, and then the two of them headed for the library. It was going to be difficult to find the right books, especially considering that Doctor Tot wasn't there. They each chose a shelf to look at first and started their search.

At least two hours had passed since they began shifting through the books, trying to find any information on crystals. Garnet sighed as she shut another book.
“I'm starting to think we should have gone to Daguerreo,” she said, laughing a little, “I'm sure they would have the information we need.”
She got a little tense when she didn't get a response. “Zidane?” Still no answer. She walked around the library, looking in all the isles, speeding up as she started to panic.
“Zidane, this isn't funny!” As she looked down one isle, she saw something on the ground. She walked up to it and picked up an open book, looking at the title. “'The Evolution of Gaia',” she read out loud. Looking through the pages, she couldn't find anything to do with crystals, but what worried her more was that it was just left there. She thought she had heard a noise echo through the room not too long ago, but didn't think anything of it.

She had searched the entire library with no sign of Zidane, and was now running through the corridors of Alexandria Castle to get to the grounds.
“Your Majesty, what's wrong?” She stopped as she heard a voice calling after her.
“Beatrix!” She gasped, “Have you seen Zidane?” The general shook her head.
“I'm afraid I haven't,” Beatrix replied, “Has something happened?”
“We were trying to find information about the crystals, like you suggested, but Zidane disappeared without telling me!”
“I shall inform all of the soldiers at once,” she saluted and walked off. Garnet held her hand to her head and groaned. What was going on?