Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy 7: Darkness Falls ❯ Chapter 40-48, Epilogue, End Notes ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 40: Darkness Falls

by Gemini83

Disclaimer: I don't own FF7, just this story.

Cloud ran at Sephiroth, pointedly ignoring any words intended to enrage him. Cloud hacked his way through Sephiroth's defense, despite all the man could do. Finally, Sephiroth lashed out with a pure wave of energy, flinging Cloud against one of the various pillars.

The others cried out in dismay, raging against the restraints of Cloud's energy shield.

He yelled out to them, "stay back! You might break through the barrier, but in his present state, he could kill you all!"

Sephiroth nodded, "now you begin to understand Cloud."

He sneered as strands of energy began to spring forth from him, almost like the tentacles of some misbegotten beast.

Cloud laughed harshly, "you look like Jenova."

Sephiroth grinned smugly, "I am what I was created to be...and more..."

Cloud laughed, "you...are nothing Sephiroth. A self-proclaimed god? Don't make me laugh. What, by the Planet, is a god made by humans?"

Sephiroth sneered, "I AM a god, and you will all fall!"

Slowly, determinedly, Cloud drew raised his sword from behind his back.

"What are you? Nothing but a failure, a machine, a project created and discarded by your creators."

"I am a man Sephiroth," said Cloud, "don't you ever forget that."

"A man?" spat Sephiroth, as if insulted by the word, "a mere man defies me? In the age of gods and demons? All of creation will quiver at my feet. But before that, unfortunately, you will already be dead."

Cloud said nothing...

"What?" asked Sephiroth, "no quirky reply, no last declaration of defiance?"

Cloud said nothing...

Sephiroth narrowed his eyes, "have you nothing to say before you die?"

Cloud said nothing...

"Damn you!" screamed Sephiroth, "answer me!"

Cloud still said nothing...

Sephiroth nodded, gathering great strands of energy about his body.

"If you will not kneel to me now," stated Sephiroth, "then you SHALL kneel...in pieces!"

Sephiroth, one of the most feared and powerful men on the Planet, struck forth at Cloud with all his might, bringing his tendrils of energy to bare upon the leader of Avalanche.

And still Cloud said nothing...

He merely rushed the assault, seeming for all the world, to be running towards his death.

His friends cried out in dismay, looking on with fear. But they could do nothing.

Cloud ran faster...faster...pushing the limits of his muscles. And slowly, implacably, he brought his sword out in front, charging at his foe.

Sephiroth felt for a brief moment that something had gone terribly wrong, then Cloud was there...

He sliced through all the tendrils, breaking past Sephiroth's defenses, and plunged his sword deep into Sephiroth's chest.

Sephiroth was paralyzed with pain, and coughed out blood, his eyes grew blurry. Cloud stared back coldly into Sephiroth's glassy eyes, and drew out his sword with a jerk.

Sephiroth staggered back, eyes wide, clutching at the deadly wound in his chest. The Masamune fell from his hand.

"What...how...," struggled Sephiroth, "not...possible..."

Cloud was breathing raggedly, "there are...no limits to what a man may do...for those he cares about."

Cloud fell to his knees, exhausted. The energy field around his friends disappeared. Avalanche and the Turks rushed to his side, helping him to stand.

Kaede looked calmly as he saw his death approaching. His only regret was that he could not see Aeris again.

Dear Aeris...

He felt a gentle tugging at his hand. Kaede looked down, and saw Aeris' string necklace wrapped around his wrist. And joined to the necklace was...his sword.

He must have subconsciously put his hand through the loop...he had his sword after all.

Renewed hope surged through his veins, a calm, grim determination, and Kaede gripped his sword tightly. He had to time this just right...

Methos soon closed the distance between them, and thrust his sword at Kaede. The Planeswalker spun around, sidestepping the attack. Methos' blade sliced through Kaede's back, but it wasn't over yet...

...For Kaede brought his own sword around, and, using the Drahk lord's own momentum, struck Methos through the heart...

Kaede's blade ran clean through, emerging from Methos' back. The Horseman's sword fell clattering from his hands, and his shoulders slumped. Kaede drew out his sword, and Methos' body jerked in pain.

"Damn Kaede," said Methos, "you killed me..."

Kaede's eyes widened, as he heard a...softness in his brother's voice. Methos stumbled backwards, falling to his knees. Kaede stared into his eyes, and saw the blood red haze disappear, leaving a pair of clear blue-green eyes staring right back.

"Brother?" asked Kaede, not daring to believe.

He ran forth, catching Methos before he fell, cradling his brother in his arms.

Methos coughed painfully, "I...didn't think you'd actually...thank you...Kaede."

Kaede stared shocked into his brother's eyes, "what do you...what are you talking about?"

Methos shook his head, "I've been such a fool, such a damn fool. Kaede, I was wrong, I let my thirst for power blind me. I feel it leaving me now, I feel my energy draining bit by bit."

He gripped at Kaede's hand, tightly.

"I can tell you now...now that I'm no longer drunk with power...I love you...brother."

The Planeswalker could only gape, at a loss for words, "but before...you...why now? Why...?"

More blood leaked from his mouth, and Methos grimaced from the pain, "like you said brother, I let my pursuits...I let them take control."

Kaede tried to say something, anything, but Methos silenced him.

"Don't say anything Kaede, just be glad you were able to break the cycle, that you were able to set me free. You killed the beast that has been controlling me all these years."

Kaede's eyes widened in shock, "you mean...you, you too?"

"No Kaede, I was not forced, like you, to become a Drahk. But I did let them change me, turn me into something worse than I had ever intended. But I'm back now. I am truly me after such a long time."

Kaede blinked back his tears. Why now, dammit? Why was is that the only was he could have his brother back...was to kill him?

"Just hang on," said Kaede, "I'll get you help."

"No...use...Kaede," grunted Methos.

"Don't say that."

"Kaede, we've never...harbored...false illusions. Let's not start now. You are a great warrior...perhaps the best of us...you know a death wound when you see one. Under normal circumstances, I would already be dead..."

Kaede shook his head, closing his eyes, and knew it was true. In the heat of battle, there had always ever been one choice, kill or be killed. That was his life, that was his legacy.

Methos reached his hands up, and hugged Kaede. Kaede grimly closed his eyes, and hugged back.

"For the first time in years," whispered Methos, "we are truly brothers."

"Brothers..." echoed Kaede.

Then Methos felt a strange force, like sparks running through his veins, and he knew there was one thing left to be done...

...Out in space, clouds of energy surged forth from the remnants of the Drahk space forces, and circled above the Planet...

"Kaede...help me to my feet."

"What is it?"

"Please, just do it."

Kaede nodded, and helped him up.

"Brother," said the Methos, "I have something to tell you, about this place...about the emperor's plans..."

"You're even more stubborn than me Cloud," grimaced Barret.

Cloud looked into his friends' eyes, and laughed.

Tifa groaned, slowly opening her eyes, Cloud took her in his arms, running his hand along her hair.

"Cloud..."

He kissed her forehead, "hush Tifa, I'm here..."

Sephiroth forced his shaking hand to reach for the Black/White Materia.

"Fools," he said, "you have not beaten me..."

Cloud jerked his head up, looking at Sephiroth. The others followed suit.

Sephiroth laughed, raising his hand with the materia in it, "I still...have this. And it contains all the power I need...to defeat you all..."

"That bastard Jenovan, Sephiroth," spat Methos, "he has the power to destroy us all."

Kaede nodded, "we have to stop him."

"You will need the Cetra."

"Aeris?"

Methos nodded, "I know how you feel about her Kaede...hold on to her, for she is this Planet's greatest treasure."

"I know..."

"Goodbye brother..."

Kaede looked askance, `...good...goodbye...?"

Without a word Methos ran forward, bursting through the hole in the wall. Kaede yelled at him to stop.

Sephiroth turned as he heard the noise, and saw Methos running at him.

"Ah, good. Now we..."

Methos silenced Sephiroth by leaping into the menace, reaching for the Black/White Materia.

"No you fool!" shouted Sephiroth, "what do you think you're doing?!"

"You cannot not have the power of this planet," shouted Methos, "I will not allow it!"

Methos trapped Sephiroth in a headlock, and prepared for his final attack.

"No! Methos! Wait!" shouted Kaede.

"Too late brother," replied Methos, "it's been too late for a long time."

Methos stared into the night sky, glaring at the remnants of the Drahk fleet, and cried out, "YOU BASTAAAAAARRR-"

Methos unleashed his attack. A great halo of fire engulfed him and swallowed his words in a rush of sound, consuming both he and Sephiroth...

When it was over, Sephiroth was lying sprawled on the ground, gasping for breath, his clothing was charred.

...Methos was gone...

The Black/White Materia rolled towards Kaede's feet, and stopped.

He heard a voice in his head, Methos,' `the rest is up to you brother...farewell.'

Kaed grabbed the materia in one hand and raised it to the sky. He closed is eyes and finally let out the anguish that had gathered within him for so long...

"NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!"

Aeris opened her eyes, feeling a strange power surging around her. She looked up, and saw what Kaede was about to do. She screamed in denial.

Sephiroth struggled to his feet, leaning heavily upon his knees, and slowly stepped forward, reaching out a hand, "no...you can't..."

Kaede gripped the materia in both hands, and raised it above his head. He screamed in rage, as his eyes began to glow with untapped energy.

"No! Kaede please! There must be another way!" shouted Aeris.

"What's he doing?" asked Reeve, shielding his face with his arm.

Vincent felt a strange power surging, a shift in the Lifestream, "is that...?"

Cloud could feel it as well, "what is he doing...?"

Aeris staggered over to them, "you have to stop Kaede."

"What's he doing?" asked Shera.

"He is going to split the Materia in half," replied Aeris, "make it pure White and pure Black again."

"So?" asked Reno.

"Don't you understand?" asked the Cetra, "this technology draws on the energies of those who wield it. Kaede has virtually none left to give..."

Yuffie gasped, "you mean?"

"It's draining the last of his life away," cried Aeris, "he's dying!"

Cloud turned to Kaede, shouting at his to stop...

...But it was too late, with a final cry, Kaede let forth a beam of energy from his eyes, which lanced straight through the Black/White Materia. The sphere's colors churned furiously, and a crack appeared in the middle. Soon, the Materia broke apart in Kaede's hands, once more two, Black and White.

Kaede lowered his hands, turned wearily to his friends, and smiled.

Aeris, teary-eyed, smiled back. The others looked on with varying looks, of astonishment and smiles...

Then Kaede's eyes closed, and he collapsed.

Aeris screamed, and rushed to Kaede's side, picking him up, trying to get his to say something.

She held him in her arms, yelling past her tears, "Kaede! Wake up! Wake up! WAKE UP...please..."

Cloud and the others came up from behind, and looked on in silence...

...Kaede wasn't moving...

Author's Note: Yes! Keep reading, I have more surprises left! Hope you're enjoying this as much as I am!

Chapter 41: Darkness Falls

by Gemini83

Disclaimer: I don't own FF7, just this story.

Up above, a great cloud of energy began to coalesce, forming into a storm which would devour the planet whole. It was the Dark Purge.

Sephiroth slowly raised his head, "this Planet is doomed..."

Cloud turned sharply around, "YOU are dead, just admit it and leave us..."

Sephiroth laughed harshly, "you fools...the Drahk aren't idiots. I may not like them, but they are capab-"

Then he started to quiver, and Sephiroth let out a bark of pain.

Cloud narrowed his eyes, what was he up to now?

Sephiroth glared past the blood streaming down his face, and leered at his foes, "there is no stopping us. Soon, the Dark Purge will consume you all, and I shall return to...oh damn..."

The mists of the Dark Purge circled up above, lightning crackled through the skies.

Barret turned to look at Sephiroth, "I really don't like the way he said that."

Sephiroth widened his eyes, "no...it isn't possible!"

The lighting streamed down from the clouds, striking Sephiroth with one solid beam of light.

Wave after wave of energy streamed into him, as he screamed in pain. Then...it was gone, leaving only the mists and silent thunder to rage in the skies above.

Sephiroth looked up with glowing eyes, "this world...is doomed."

"And you will try to destroy it?" asked Cloud.

"Not...me," replied Sephiroth, "something far worse...oh shi-"

Then a wave of energy surged forth from inside him, blazing fires which consumed Sephiroth whole. He screamed out in pain, and his body began to change shape...becoming larger, scalier, more...demonic...

A strange figure began to form from within the heat of the fires, and soon the blaze flew outward in a great explosion. The mists cleared, and the figure stepped forth...

...It was the demon Emperor of the Drahk...

He laughed cruelly, "that fool of a Jenovan, did he honestly think he could defy me, Lord of the Drahk? I live! And in my wake shall fall a rain of anguish and torment such as has never been seen!"

Cid's jaw dropped at the sight of the mammoth demon, "I think the crap's really hit the fan this time. We are in very deep trouble."

In Aeris' arms, Kaede stirred.

"Kaede!" she shouted, "Kaede, can you hear me?"

Kaede grimaced in pain, and slowly opened his eyes.

Aeris smiled down at him uncertainly.

Kaede saw the fear in her countenance, and knew something was wrong. Without a word spoken, he knew what it was. He had been trained since birth to be a warrior, after all.

With hardly a sound, Kaede surged up to his feet, jumping back, away from his friends. He looked at the new menace with emotionless eyes. The demon towered above him by over a full two feet, but Kaede didn't seem to care.

"Hello Kaede," laughed the Emperor, "miss me, my prodigal son?"

"I am not your son," spat Kaede.

"Methos was only too happy to accept me as his surrogate father," replied the demon, "why not you?"

"My brother died cursing your name," answered the Planeswalker.

"Yes, it is because of HIM that I must settle this now, and in such a...mundane manner. Methos died cursing my name, eh? As shall you..."

"Don't you dare underestimate me you heartless bastard!"

Kaede jumped, screaming out his rage as he flew through the air. The Emperor jumped back from the attack, just as Kaede landed. The Planeswalker fell fist first into the floor, causing a huge crater. Dust rose from around him, and Kaede stared back into the Emperor's eyes once more.

"You are a dangerous man Kaede. Given enough time, you could be even more deadly than I," said the Emperor, "but you still cannot defeat me."

"Let me be the judge of that."

He rushed at the demon, releasing a flurry of punches to his midsection. The Emperor reached out with his hands. Kaede merely slapped them aside, and grabbed them. Jumping up, Kaede rammed his foot into the Emperor's face, and jumped away behind his back.

Kaede landed on his feet, and ran forward to attack the demon's unexposed back. However, the Emperor was no fool. He turned around, viciously backhanding the Planeswalker, sending him reeling backwards.

The Emperor stormed forward, loosing another punch at Kaede. The Planeswalker fell back to his hands and kicked upwards, catching the Drahk lord in the chin. The Emperor shrugged off the attack, and grabbed Kaede's legs. Picking him up, the Emperor held the Planeswalker upside down, and glared into his eyes.

"Do you see now the futility of this fight?" asked the Drahk lord.

Kaede stared coldly back, "...bite me..."

The Emperor's eyes flamed in rage, and he flung Kaede against the far wall. Kaede turned himself so his feet touched the wall, then he jumped back to his enemy. The Emperor was caught by surprise as Kaede landed a jump kick to his chest.

Landing in a crouch, Kaede waited until the demon doubled over, then hit him again with a rising uppercut. The Emperor screamed in rage as he fell back, lightly touching his jaw.

He laughed, "do you think your mundane tactics can beat me?"

With a grunt, the Emperor fired a volley of blue fire at Kaede. The Planeswalker ran up to meet the attack, swatting aside the flames as if they were insects. The he drew his sword, only to have it knocked away by another blast. Without losing a stride, Kaede continued forward. The Emperor raised his giant fist to smite Kaede, but he merely sidestepped the attack. Falling into a cartwheel, Kaede brought himself closer to the demon, and plunged his hand into the Emperor's side.

His fist broke through the scaly skin, and stuck. Despite all he could do, Kaede couldn't pull his hand out. Then he looked up at his enemy's eyes and knew he had screwed up.

The Emperor grabbed Kaede by the throat, and pulled him up to eye level. He didn't even flinch as Kaede's hand withdrew from the hole in his side, which almost immediately patched itself up.

"I said you COULD have been deadlier than I. But you stubbornly refuse to give yourself over to the rage that burns inside you. That makes you weak, mortal," the Emperor sneered into Kaede's glassy eyes, "and no mere mortal can withstand me."

The Planeswalker felt his head grow light as the Drahk demon continued to apply pressure to his throat.

"You have tasted the darkness Kaede," said the Emperor, "and you have enjoyed it. But you shunned that power, so now you shall die.

The demon laughed as he tightened his vise on the Planeswalker's neck. Kaede reached into his belt, pulling out a knife. Putting as much force into the attack as possible, Kaede slashed his knife at the Emperor's hand, shearing clean through the wrist. The blade wasn't long enough to cut it all off, but it did cut through half of the demonic hand.

The Emperor let go of Kaede, and sent his other fist to meet him. Kaede grabbed the other hand, using it as a backboard to jump into the air. Then the Planeswalker threw his knife at the Emperor The knife imbedded itself to the hilt into the Emperor's blazing eye.

Kaede landed on his knees, breathing heavily, and tried to rise to his feet. The Emperor screamed in rage as he pulled the knife from his eye, and threw it away.

"INSOLENT CUR!" shouted the Emperor, "YOU DARE TO STRIKE ME?"

The demon launched himself at Kaede, punching him in the gut. The Planeswalker doubled over in pain, reeling from the blow. Then the Emperor punched him across side of his head. His claws cut into the skin, and Kaede fell back, blood dripping from several wounds along his temples and sides.

The Emperor came forth again. But this time Kaede jumped into the air, extending his foot as he flew upwards. Using the demon's outstretched hand as support again, Kaede brought his feet around, slamming them into the demon's face again. The Emperor yelled in rage, and punched Kaede in midair, drawing more blood.

Kaede flew back, causing a trench as he skidded along the floor. Kaede rolled over onto his stomach, pushing himself off the ground with his hands. He glared up at the Emperor, as blood leaked onto the ground from his face and body.

"It'll take more than that to beat me," prodded Kaede.

Aeris screamed in pain, "No Kaede! Stop it! I can feel you inside me! I can feel you killing yourself!"

Kaede forced himself to his feet, feeling several things breaking inside him as he did so. He shuddered to think what state his body must be in now.

The demon lord laughed, "you should listen to her Kaede. Better to join me now, before I tire of you."

Kaede returned his best intimidating glare, and did not answer.

The Emperor nodded, "then so be it..."

With a gesture, the demon sent forth a great beam of light at Kaede.

The Planeswalker calmly brought his hands together, gathering his energy into a ball, then retaliated.

Vincent turned to Cloud, "we have to do something now, before he burns himself out."

"He's dying," continued Aeris.

"Okay," replied Cloud, "let's get ready..."

The two beams warred back and forth, neither side refusing to back down. Kaede stepped forward despite the push of the forces, bringing his attack that much closer to the Emperor, the demon lord did the same.

They met, one foot apart, still glaring into each others eyes, as the forces of their summoned energies threatened to consume everything around them.

"What can one such as you possibly do against me?" sneered the Emperor.

"Everything he can," returned Kaede, "you son of a-"

A huge explosion drowned them both in a fury of light and sound.

Author's Note: No, this isn't the end. Neither is the next chapter. Maybe the chapter after that, but then again, I've also got two endings to write. Keep reading, I hope you're liking this!

Chapter 42: Darkness Falls

by Gemini83

Disclaimer: I don't own FF7, just this story.

Smoke fumed everywhere, leaving Avalanche and the Turks coughing. Soon, however, the wind carried it away.

Vincent pointed as the others regained their sense of sight.

Barret muttered a curse under his breath.

Kaede was standing, bloodied and ragged, his clothes vaporized and torn in places.

Unfortunately, the Emperor was standing as well, looking as evil as before. What's more, his eye had grown back, and now he glared at Kaede with two blazing eyes.

The Planeswalker grunted once, then fell to the floor, his body shaking slightly. Soon, he was drenched in a pool of his own blood. Kaede breathed harshly in pain, but forced his eyes open.

The Emperor looked down at Kaede with a grimace, "you should not have fought me Kaede. Perhaps, if you had been fresh, you might have stood a chance. But you are not my equal, and you never were."

"You still don't get it," said Kaede, "hate isn't power, nor is terror. You are a slave to your own evil, your urges control you. That is a kind of weakness I shall never hope to-"

"SAVE YOUR PITY FOR THE WEAK!" shouted the Emperor.

"You are a sad mockery of life," replied Kaede.

"Think what you want Kaede," sneered the Emperor, "I will destroy you all."

"I don't think so," answered Cid.

The Drahk emperor turned around, to see the planet's greatest warriors staring right back. A grim, determined band of men and women stood ready to fight him, ready to drag him down no matter what the cost. They would not allow him to destroy this world. Cid calmly flicked away his cigarette.

They had finally defeated all the Horsemen. The generals of the Drahk army were dead. They had struggled, they had fought, and they had sacrificed. They were past tired, their were past pain. They had given everything they had, and stayed alive. Their world should be safe. Instead, they found this idiot terrorizing them yet. And that was the last straw, Avalanche and Turk alike attacked with raw fury, determined to take down the monster who would dare target THEIR planet for destruction.

The Drahk Emperor roared in anger as the battle raged around him, threatening to swallow him whole in its fury.

Vincent turned into the dark angel, grappling with the Emperor. Barret, Reeve, and Elena kept up a constant barrage of fire and spells, while Red, Cid, and Yuffie slashed away at the demon. Rude and Reno backed them up, using there own special attacks as openings came.

Aeris came to Kaede's side, resting his head in her lap. She did not like what she saw. His body was twitching, he had lost more blood than she would have thought possible, and his breathing came in hoarse gasps.

"How is he?" asked Cloud.

Aeris shook her head, "not good."

Tifa looked at the raging battle between their friends and the demon, and heaved a sigh, "we've got to do something soon."

Kaede opened his eyes, and struggled to get the words out, "help...me...up..."

Cloud shook his head, "can't do that Kaede, you're a wreck."

The Planesawalker looked into Aeris' eyes, trying to make her understand.

The healer nodded, and tried to use her powers to heal Kaede. She didn't have much power left, for the Planet's resources were quickly drying up as it fought the Drahk invasion.

Kaede felt a light breeze go through him, taking the edge off his pain. He breathed a little easier. Kaede nodded, and allowed the others to help him to his feet.

"What now?" asked Aeris.

"We've been going about this all wrong," answered Kaede, "we have to get to the spires."

"What are we going to do there?" asked Cloud.

"Methos told me what to do," said Kaede, "we have to activate the Fortress."

"How?" asked Tifa.

"No time," returned Kaede, "take me to the spires. I'll need you three when we get there."

"Fine," answered Cloud, "let's go."

Tifa looked back at their friends, "I hope they can hold out."

"So do I Tifa," answered Aeris, "so do I."

Cloud carried Tifa in his arms.

"You don't have to do this you know," she said.

"Yes I do," replied Cloud, "your wounds haven't completely healed yet."

"I'll be fine," demurred Tifa, "I'm more worried about Kaede."

Cloud turned to look at the Planesawlker, and saw that he was still leaning heavily against Aeris as they trekked through the hallway.

Kaede must have heard them, "I'll be fine, I've been through worse."

Aeris caught a hint of something in his voice, "no you haven't."

The Planeswalker looked back at her, "maybe not, how could you know?"

"Something in your voice and thoughts," replied the healer.

Kaede remained silent. These people knew him too well.

Then they reached the top. Four spires projected from the floor, situated in a circle around the central dais.

"What now?" asked Cloud.

Kaede took out two orbs from his belt, "Aeris, you take the White Materia. Tifa, you take the Black."

He handed the two women the spheres, and backed away from them, "in order to activate the device, we must bring together the four elements which can harness the power of the Planet."

"Why not use Holy?" asked Cloud.

"The Lifestream is...disturbed," answered Aeris, "we need something more this time."

Kaede nodded, "two of the "keys to the light" are the Black and White Materias."

"And the other two?" asked Tifa.

"Simple," answered Kaede, "my sword...and Cloud's."

"What?" demanded the leader of Avalanche.

"This technology reacts to relics of Planeswalker heritage," answered Kaede, "which was why my sword reacted to this place. I didn't tell you about it before, because I honestly didn't know."

"And my sword?" asked Cloud.

"Your sword was originally wielded by one of the WEAPONS, correct?"

"Yes."

"Don't ask me how the Ancients did it," explained Kaede, "but somehow...the sword is derived from the raw energy of this Planet. It is needed to complete the harnessing of the energies we will need to save the Planet."

"What happens then?" asked Tifa.

Kaede grinned, "we'll find out."

The Drahk Emperor shouted in rage as he fought the Guardians of the Planet. These insects sought to overthrow him, leader of all the Drahk. He would teach them the error of their ways. His plans may have been set back, he may have to do this himself, but he would see this Planet and all its people suffer eternally in a Hell of his own creation.

Avalanche was not about to let him do that, nor were the Turks. Finally seeing a tangible end to the fighting in sight, the warriors through themselves at the enemy, disregarding their own wound. Despite his superior power, even against so many, the warriors forced the Emperor back by sheer force of will.

Vincent grappled with the Emperor, both of their eyes blazing as the surged back and forth. Preparing a powerful spell, Vincent let forth a mighty blast, blinding the demon.

Rude thrust his energized fist into the Emperor's stomach, feeling the scaly hide give way under the force of the attack. The Drahk lord swatted him away, only to see Reno jump into the air. The Turk brought his nightstick down across the Emperor's face, adding a touch of an ice spell for good measure.

The Emperor punched at Reno, who sidestepped the attack. Cid followed, burying his spear point deep into the Drahk demon's side. Bracing himself, Cid jumped high into the high, tearing a huge rent in the monster's side as he went. The Drahk Emperor howled, as much in rage as in pain, and blasted Cid from the sky. The captain flew downwards, only to be caught by Shera.

Yuffie continued the attack, letting fly her shirukens. The two stars flew about the demon, cutting holes in his body as fast as he could repair them. She finished with a blinding flash of light, which engulfed the Drahk Emperor, flinging him back against the wall. The marble crumbled under his weight, and the Drahk Emperor rose to his feet.

"Vile insects!" he hissed, punching the floor with his great fist.

Shockwaves of energy surged through the floors, throwing the warriors of balance. Several of them cried out in pain, feeling as if they were being fried alive by the attack. The Drahk Emperor sneered and ran to follow the attack.

Ragged, tired, and beyond caring, Nanaki of the Cian rushed at the demon, raking his teeth along its scaly hide. The Drahk Emperor grunted, grabbing Red by the throat and flinging him away. Red smiled, expecting the counterattack, and spun in midair, so he was facing the demon. Summoning forth all his energies, Nanaki shot forth a mammoth blast of energy at the Drahk lord. The demon crossed his arms before him, absorbing the brunt of the attack. He fell to his knees, grunting ever so slightly as he breathed.

Elena ran forward, releasing a flurry of punches and slashes from her knife. She danced back and forth, cutting her own bloody path through the monster's defense. The demon roared as he retaliated with his claws. Elena ducked under the attack. Reeve followed up, striking the Emperor in the chest with an armored fist. The demon staggered back, gasping for breath. Reeve made another attack, shooting a ball of energy into the monster's face, blinding his yet again. Elena kicked upward, catching the Drahk lord with a roundhouse. The Emperor opened his eyes in rage, catching Elena's foot, and throwing her into Reeve, sending them both flailing back.

Vincent covered them, punching the demon, slashing up and down with his claws. Then he leapt out of the way as he heard a warning cry from behind. Barret leapt into the air, high above the Emperor's head. Aiming his gun arm downward, the man emptied his most powerful blast against the demon. The recoil slowed his descent, almost causing him to hover in midair. The energy swallowed the Drahk lord, tearing apart and vaporizing marble as it did its work. The others shielded their eyes from the intense light...

A haze of smoke engulfed the floor where the attack had landed, and the Guardians of the Planet drew together once more.

"Do you think we got him?" asked Yuffie.

"I hope so," voiced Red.

"We better have," replied Elena, "those were our toughest attacks."

"Wretched mortals," came a voice.

The Drahk Emperor slowly materialized as the smoke cleared away. His eyes no longer blazed with fire...but there were more disturbing. The two orbs were completely blood red. There were several wounds on his body that had not yet healed. He was clearly more weary than he had been, and his breathing was a little more pronounced now. But he still looked mad enough and strong enough to tear them limb from limb. The Drahk Emperor glared at them through his demonic eyes, and sneered.

"Impressive, but not enough. Come at me insects," he invited, "come and meet your death."

Barret and the others remained silent, regarding the demon coldly.

"I am really beginning to hate this guy," voiced Reno.

Then the Fortress of the Ancients began to shake, while the skies above continued to churn in fury.

"What's happening?" demanded Elena.

"I don't know," answered Red.

Even the Emperor was searching back and forth, as if he too was unaware of what was happening.

"This is either a good thing," suggested Cid, "or we are all in deep shit."

Author's Note: AAAHHHH!!!! (Let's out an exasperated groan) Do you know how many pages I've written so far? Within spitting distance of 300! I have no clue where all this came from. I had a beginning, I had a middle, and I had an end planned out (although I changed it). Somewhere in the writing process this...this...work of mayhem arose. I hope you guys are enjoying this, I sure am, I just never expected to write this much. Anyway, THANK GOD IT'S NEARLY OVER!!! I love the story, but I have other projects to work on as well. I'll tell you later. Anyway, I anticipate a max of three chapters left. Maybe four if Fate decides some really weird direction for my fic to finish in. Keep reading and sending reviews, I never tire of them. Thanks.

Chapter 43: Darkness Falls

by Gemini83

Disclaimer: I don't own FF7. I've said it before, I say it again. But I do own the story.

Cloud slowly walked up to one of the spires. It read "PLANET'S WEAPON." Who would have known it would have an almost literal meaning?

Cloud laughed to himself, "are you sure this will work?"

"It has to," answered Kaede.

He had walked up to the spire opposite Cloud, the one marked as "WALKER'S LEGACY."

"Together now Cloud," said Kaede.

Cloud nodded.

"3...2...1...now!"

In unison, Kaede and Cloud thrust their swords into their spires. A low rumbling emanated from the walls.

Kaede nodded to Aeris and Tifa. The two women nodded back, and walked to their respective spires.

At the same time, the two women set the White and Black Materias atop their respective spires, leaving the orbs to hover in the air above the projections.

A light ran through the inscriptions in the floor, illuminating the alien script. Energy rose from the dais, causing an iridescent glow to tinge everything with color. The trembling grew more accented, and the floor began to shake, opening and closing at odd angles.

Cloud, Tifa, Aeris, and Kaede were engulfed in the light, feeling the energy of the Ancient technology flow into them, shooting raw power through their veins. They had to close their eyes against the brilliant luminescence. Into their minds came a phantasmagoria of images, showing them the battlefields across the world, connecting them with each event and life on the Planet. Then the images died down, and the light beyond their closed eyes dimmed.

When they opened their eyes once more, the scene had changed. Now they could see, that the floor beneath them had risen as well. The Drahk Emperor looked at them with astonishment. The four could see their tired friends as well.

The others looked upon the four standing in the dais with a sense of wonder. They didn't look like mere mortals anymore. No, their eyes glowed with energy, their clothes shone with unrelenting light, tingeing them and everything around them. They no longer seemed bound by the laws of this world. They had moved beyond it, above it.

Kaede extended his will, reaching into their minds, `Now...attack him!'

Aeris shook her head, "What about you?"

Kaede spoke through their minds again, `I must maintain the powers of this Fortress, for the final attack. But I cannot summon them until you kill the Emperor.'

"We won't leave you!" shouted Cloud.

`You have no choice,' replied Kaede, `please be quick, there is not much time...'

"I can help you!" pleaded Aeris, "let me-"

`No Aeris,' came the reply, `I must do this, and they will need your help. You must trust me...please...'

"Always," answered the healer.

Tifa turned to Cloud, and smiled, "ready to do this?"

Cloud smiled back, "ladies first."

"You are such a gentleman," joked Tifa.

Aeris stepped in front of them, "please, allow me..."

Gathering the energies in her staff, Aeris extended her arms. The intense green light matched the color of her glowing eyes. Then she gestured to the Drahk Emperor with her staff. A great bolt of lightning came forth, engulfing the demon, striking him repeatedly. The beast cried out in pain, but was still standing. Soon, he shrugged off the attack, looking up to sneer at his attackers.

But Tifa was already upon him. Rushing at him at almost blinding speed, Tifa imbedded her elbow deep into the Drahk lord's stomach. Raising the same arm, she brought her fist crashing up into the Emperor's chin. Aeris continued her volley of spells, while Cloud rushed in, supporting Tifa with his sword. It was not his Ultimate Weapon, no...he had drawn his powers together, forming a sword of pure energy in his hands. And with it, he sought to finish the Emperor once and for all.

The rest of Avalanche looked on in awe as they saw the titans battle.

"Somebody tell me when in the Hell living gods came into existence on this mud-hole," demanded Reno.

"They are not gods," said Nanaki, "they are the acolytes of the Planet, empowered by it to carry out its will."

But even they had their limits. Despite the power flowing through them, the Acolytes of the Planet could feel themselves changing, tiring. Their bodies were not meant to withstand such forces for so long. But they pushed on relentlessly, because the lives of so many depended on them...

...Because that's what heroes did...

...Even the ones doomed to die...

...Especially them...

Aeris twirled her staff above her head, then brought it crashing down on the Emperor. Bringing her weapon back up, Aeris slammed her staff into the demon's face. She swung around again, clipping the monster against his ear. She raised her staff again, but was caught off guard by the Drahk lord's retaliation.

She was moving too fast to hit, so he attacked in all directions, sending forth a wave of energy to engulf everything around. Aeris was only stunned by the attack, but the demon took the opportunity to follow up with more. He viciously backhanded her, sending her reeling. Then he slammed his fist into her stomach, causing Aeris to keel over in pain. He grabbed her by the throat, and picked her up, choking her. The Cetra healer gagged and sputtered, uselessly hitting the Emperor's outstretched arm.

Tifa came to her aid. Jumping high into the air, Tifa reached out her hand, blasting away at the demon. She landed, sidestepping his punch. Falling into a cartwheel, Tifa swept her feet along the ground, striking at the monster's legs. As he was thrown off balance, Tifa jumped once more, bringing herself to face level with the demon, and initiated a roundhouse. The Drahk Emperor was blind with pain, and Aeris thrust her staff into his side, letting loose another spell.

He cried out as he let her go. Aeris fell back, barely conscious. Cloud followed up the attack on the Emperor, vaulting into the demon's midsection. The Emperor staggered back, as Cloud landed on his feet. Running up to the beast, Cloud attacked with his sword, slashing at his enemy.

The Drahk lord managed to dodge the blows, then brought his fist forth, ramming it into Cloud's face. The leader of Avalanche let out a bark of pain as he was thrown back. Tifa came to his rescue, once more striking at the demon's legs as she cart-wheeled on her hands. Flipping behind the Emperor, she ran up to follow her attack. But the demon turned, raising his leg. Tifa was staggered as her enemy's kick flew across her face. Then the Drahk lord punched Tifa in the stomach with his most powerful blow. His claws raked through his foe's skin this time, and Tifa gasped in pain as she felt the attack tearing her apart. Beams of light shot from the Emperor's eyes, throwing Tifa back. She fell to the ground, but forced herself to her feet, cradling her stomach. Blood leaked through her hands, and she tried in vain to ignore it. Tifa looked down and winced...it wasn't good.

Cloud cried out in rage, shouting his denial. Then raw fury took over, as he rushed at the Drahk lord. The demon waited until the last second, then sidestepped Cloud's attack, winding up behind him. Cloud barely had time to realize his mistake before he was pummeled from behind. Aeris ran to follow the attack in attempt to help him. She threw herself in between Cloud and the demon, and the blast from the Emperor's hand quickly floored her, searing her clothes and knocking her unconscious.

Kaede's mind was on fire. He didn't know how long he could hold out. If his friends didn't finish this soon...

Tifa glared at the Emperor past the red haze at the corner of her eyes. Blood was streaming from her mouth, which indicated internal wounds...damn. Making up her mind, Tifa leapt forward, forcing her screaming muscles to make one last attack. Yelling out in rage as she attacked her opponent, Tifa let loose an impossibly quick flurry of punches, staggering the Emperor. Kicking him in the stomach, Tifa leapt from her other foot, catching the demon with another kick as she jumped into the air. Landing on her feet, Tifa attacked with a low roundhouse, followed by a rising uppercut. Grabbing the Emperor, she rose into the air, feeling things break inside her as she carried the Emperor up with her into the air. Then she slammed him into the ground again, releasing tidal forces as the demon fell to the floor. Tifa landed on her feet again, and glared at the Emperor's bloodshot eyes. Letting out a hoarse laugh, Tifa charged her final energies into her fist, and shot forth, driving her fist deep into the demon's midsection. Atomic forces shattered his skin, flinging the Drahk lord back and forth like a rag doll, engulfing him in smoke...

Tifa was breathing heavily now, and as she felt her feet give out, Cloud came to her side, slowly easing her back down to the ground. She smiled up at him.

Cloud forced back his tears, rigidly making himself maintain his calm. Dear Planet, her blood, she had lost so much blood. Her teeth were colored with it, it had soaked into her clothes as well as his, but he didn't care. And her wounds...

Cloud let the tears come, not caring who saw them. Tifa brought her hand to his face, clearing away his tears. He hugged her closer to him.

"Don't leave me Tifa," he cried.

"Never...," she whispered, "we will always be together."

She clutched him tighter, "I love you Cloud...now...finish this..."

Cloud raised his head, looking past Tifa's shoulder, to see the Emperor emerging from the flames. He was tired and ragged, but still alive. The Emperor shook his head, then sneered at Cloud.

Then something in his mind snapped. Gently, Cloud laid Tifa down, and stepped forward. The Sword of energy rematerialized in his hands, and Cloud once more donned the mantle of the cold, calculating warrior deep inside himself. To him, the Emperor represented every terror that had ever hounded him. This scum was the reason for so much suffering...and it would end now...

Screaming out his rage, Cloud swept his sword along the floor, and great rifts of energy raged toward the demon, searing him as the bastard cried out in pain. The Emperor stepped forward, daring Cloud to attack with a stream of curses. Cloud ran forward, rushing past the Emperor's defenses, and plunged his sword deep into the menace's belly. Bracing himself, Cloud rose high into the air, leaving behind a stream of flying blood as he jumped. The Drahk lord screamed in pain and rage, but Cloud wasn't done yet...

Summoning more energy, Cloud charged up his sword, unleashing volley after volley of energy at the Emperor. Meteors flew through the sky as well, racking the monster with pain. Cloud landed, then ran forth one final time. Striking out with his sword, Cloud assaulted the Emperor with pure rage. Cloud's sword moved faster than thought, as blow after blow cut through the demon. He howled in pain as his body was torn apart piece by piece. Cloud leapt high into the air, gathering his energy into one last blow, and smote the Emperor with a downward slash. The Emperor's screams tore through the sky, as his body fell apart and vaporized at the pure energy thrown at him. Then all was quiet, the Drahk Emperor was no more...

Author's Note: Dang it, three more chapter, I mean it this time...

Chapter 43: Darkness Falls

by Gemini83

Disclaimer: I don't own FF7, just this story.

The sword vanished from his hands, and Cloud ran to Tifa's side once more. Cradling her in his arms, Cloud whispered assurances into her ear, as Tifa ran her hands through his hair.

The rest of Avalanche slowly approached Aeris, Tifa, and Cloud...merely mortals once more.

"Cloud," whispered Tifa, "Aeris and Kaede..."

The swordsman nodded, "Vincent, how is Aeris?"

The ex-Turk slowly came up to the healer, lightly slapping her face. Aeris slowly opened her eyes.

"Hmm, wha-?"

She jerked up, looking back and forth, shouting out her friend's names.

"Aeris, Aeris listen," pleaded Vincent, "how do we help Kaede?"

Aeris stood up, and faced Kaede.

Slowly, she walked up to the dais, the rest of her friends close behind.

Kaede's face was a mask of pain, as he endeavored to hold in the powers threatening to tear him apart.

"Kaede?" she asked, "it's done...the Emperor is dead..."

The Planeswalker opened his eyes, and nodded, "now let us end this..."

Kaede lifted himself higher, looking towards the Heavens. Letting out a great cry of pure anguish, he struggled to release the forces of the Planet. A great pillar of energy formed around the Fortress of the Ancients, heading towards the skies.

But a dark shadow fell from the skies, surging forth against the pillar of light. Kaede yelled out in pain as he felt the warring forces. He pushed himself onward, trying to summon forth more energy, but the Planet had none left to give. Great wounds appeared on Kaede's body, and blood flew from several wounds which cut their way along his body.

"There isn't enough power to destroy the Drahk forces!" shouted Aeris, "whatever forces they summoned are still threatening to destroy the planet!"

And indeed, it was true, for the dark pillar warred with the column of light, surging back and forth. This was the legacy of the Emperor. His dark soul powered the hearts of the Drahk, and now it struck from beyond life, threatening to consume the Planet even now.

"Isn't there anything we can do dammit!?" demanded Cid.

Aeris thought frantically, struggling for any idea that could help. Kaede was screaming constantly now, as his body was being torn apart. Great wells of blood pooled on the floor beneath him.

Then Aeris knew what she had to do, "I need you to help."

"We have nothing left to give," said Barret, "but what do you need?"

"I need you to join with me, to connect with my mind," answered the healer.

"What?" asked Reno, "how will that help?"

"No, I understand," answered Red, "together, our wills can force back the Emperor's dark spirit."

Aeris nodded, "we can destroy them once and for all if we join."

Tifa raised her head, "do it..."

Cloud looked down, "Tifa, you are worn. You have nothing left to-"

"We have to...Cloud," reasoned Tifa, "...no other way...everyone will...die otherwise..."

"I'm in," said Yuffie.

"As am I," offered Vincent.

The others followed suit.

Cloud nodded, "what do we do?"

"Open your minds," replied Aeris, "just like Kaede taught us..."

The Cetra reached out to her friends' minds, finding them ready and waiting for her to lead them. Together, they became a driving force, pure will and energy, a whole far greater than the sum of its parts. Together, they reached into the hearts and souls of each life on the Planet, forcing all who were protecting the Planet to take notice. This was no one person's fight, it was everyone's. The forces of the Planet heard the call to arms, and lent themselves to the greater forces, the raw will of the Planet.

And together, the elements of the world joined. Rivers of Lifestream flowed throughout the planet, surging forth into the Fortress of the Ancients. The great energies flowed into the dais, and Kaede yelled again as he felt the forces and wills of every living being on the planet emptying into him. But it still wasn't enough...

Aeris strode forth into the circle, wrapping her arms around Kaede. She knew what was wrong. The Planeswalker had the strength, and the will, to carry out what needed to be done. But he could not forgive himself for what he had done, and it was eating at him, tearing apart the forces of the Planet.

"Aeris...I'm so tired," sighed Kaede.

She held his face in her hands, "Kaede...Kaede I know you're tired, but you have to do this...for us."

"No use...failure," whispered the Planeswalker.

"Kaede," she whispered, "you must forget your past. You must forgive yourself."

Kaede opened his eyes, softly looking at her past the blood on his face, "I am a monster Aeris. Look at me, look at my legacy of death. Do you see anything worth saving?"

Aeris looked into his eyes, "I see you, that's all the justification I've ever needed."

Kaede laughed harshly, "Aeris...I killed my own brother. My parents, my sensei, my friends, they all died, or came close to it, to save me. I have brought nothing but pain...and now I have brought doom upon this planet."

Tears streamed down Aeris' face, "Kaede, can't you see the reason for it all? Can't you see your worth?"

"The reason why my own people don't trust me, shun me as a pariah?" demanded Kaede, "give me one good reason why my life is worth a damn."

"Because Kaede," whispered Aeris, "I love you..."

Those three words...words that he chased in all his dreams, that could send his soul flying, unfettered even now.

"I love you Kaede," repeated Aeris, "that's all that matters anymore. We are all ready to forgive you, now forgive yourself."

Kaede looked up into her eyes, his own so full of uncertainty, "Aeris...?"

She brought her face close to his, and spoke once more, "I...love...you..."

Then her lips met his, and Kaede drowned himself in his emotions.

He opened up that long neglected part of him, forcing it to come out. He forced himself to feel normal again, to see past the dark warrior he had forced himself to be for so long. He looked past his weaknesses, past his illusions, and looked into why he fought and strived at all. He looked into the mirror reflection of his own soul...and saw a firm resolve glaring right back. He saw a will to shatter mountains upon, a love to drown all hatred. And he finally let go, he finally forgave himself.

The energy seethed upward from the Fortress, spreading throughout the entire Planet. All around the globe, Drahk forces fell back as a fire of pure will consumed them. Then the fire spread outward, reaching out into space. It swallowed the planet...swallowed the solar system...until it had engulfed the entirety of the Drahk forces. It swallowed the darkness whole...and the Drahk forces shattered against the stronger will of the Planet. For a brief moment, all those minds were invincible. Then the fire was gone, and all the minds on the Planet fell back into their respective bodies.

Author's Note: We're not done yet! Just because the bad guys are dead doesn't mean it's over. We still have the endings to go, and I swear, my heart bleeds every time I read it.

Chapter 44: Darkness Falls

by Gemini83

Disclaimer: I don't own FF7, just this story.

Everywhere, the Planetary forces cried out in joy, for the Drahk forces were no more. Already, their minds were beginning to forget the taste of immortality they had experienced, their minds not prepared to deal with such a powerful concept. Only a select few, those with the strongest minds, would remember what really happened. Everyone else would attribute the victory to the "miracle weapon" of the Ancient. But for those who knew the truth, they would never forget.

Such as the elders among the Cian, Seto and his mate. Such as Lord Godo of Wutai, and his generals. Such as Elmyra, Shera...such as Avalanche and the Turks...

The Guardians of the Planet gathered around the dais, slowly drawing close to Aeris and the man she was rocking in her arms, Kaede.

Cloud looked down at the Planeswalker's broken body, and tried not to shiver. Yuffie buried herself in Vincent's arms, as did Shera in Cid's. Barret looked away, and Red's eyes were downcast.

Kaede, the savior of the Planet, had given all he had to its protection. And after they had destroyed the Drahk, after they had saved the world, they still couldn't save him...

...For Kaede Knight, Planeswalker, warrior, lover, and friend...was dying...

And this time, the Planet had nothing left to give for his revival...the Lifestream had been drained nearly dry, and it would be years yet before it could be replenished. Life would flourish, already Aeris could feel the sprouts of new beings coming into the world. But there was nothing left to save Kaede. Even the lake in the City of the Ancients could not help him now...

Kaede coughed out blood, and pulled a face as his senses came back to him.

"Aeris...I'm tired...and cold...so cold...," he croaked.

Aeris closed her eyes, as tears streamed down her face, and hugged him all the more tightly.

"Just hold on Kaede," she struggled to say, "you'll be alright."

Kaede smiled up at her face, "I wanted to do so many things...I promised you I'd take you to see the stars..."

"You will Kaede," cried Aeris.

"No...I won't...I can feel my life...draining away..."

"Don't say that!" pleaded the Cetra.

Kaede shook his head, "not...anybody's fault Aeris...I have no regrets...after all...I met you..."

Aeris shut her eyes again, as she struggled not to scream. She was a healer...she had come back from the dead...saved countless lives. She had even brought back her love once...now she was useless. There was nothing left for her to save him with. Kaede would die...in her arms...in the arms of a healer...

"Don't blame yourself...Aeris," smiled Kaede, "we did...what we had to do..."

"Kaede..."

"Aeris," heaved the Planeswalker, "Aeris, where are you...?"

She gripped his hand tighter, bringing his close "I'm right here Kaede."

He looked up at her, tears streaming down his face. In the blink of an eye, he saw the life he had wanted to make with her...he saw all the happiness, peace, and joy he had hoped to share with her...and in the next, he saw it all fade away.

"Aeris...I never got to...I'll never..."

"Hush Kaede...no words are needed between us."

She silenced his doubts with a kiss. She had finally found life again, found love again...and now it was being taken away...again. Her insides screamed as she felt herself tearing apart inside.

She felt him fading away in her mind, his hopes and reams crumbling as he fell away. He died in her arms without another word...

Kaede had been a brave soul, fighting for those he loved. He had made the ultimate sacrifice...

...As had Tifa. She felt her head grow dizzy, and knew what was happening.

Tifa let out a strangled scream, and cried out, "Cloud..."

The leader of Avalanche turned to his wife, and caught her as she fell down.

"Tifa, Tifa are you alright? Answer me Tifa!" shouted Cloud.

Tifa rolled onto her back, cradling her stomach in her arms. Red forced his way to her.

"Cloud," he said, "open her arms, let us see the wound."

Cloud nodded shakily, slowly prying Tifa's hands away from her stomach.

He looked down, and sharply breathed in.

"Dear God..." said Barret.

Tifa had a gaping hole in her stomach, where the Emperor's claws had cut her. Before, the blood soaked into her clothing had hid the fact, but she was still bleeding.

...Cloud could see through the rent in her skin...he could see bone and...

"Planet save us..." whispered Cloud.

She looked into his eyes, one gesture telling more than words could ever have.

Cloud let the tears fall onto her face, as Tifa's breathing grew harsh. He raised her lips to his, and drowned himself in one last, sweet kiss...

...Then her hand lost its grip, and her body fell limp in his arms...

Cloud raised his tear-ridden face to the sky, and let out a scream of pure agony.

"NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Weeks later...

It was raining in buckets, along the shores of Costa del Sol. Bullets of water pattered on the grass fields, as if in grief for the events they bore witness to...the funeral of Kaede Knight and Tifa Lockheart Strife.

The gathering wasn't particularly huge. The friends and family of the two had insisted it be conducted privately. People could understand that...

...That didn't keep the event from being broadcast. The world was in mourning for all its heroes, and the death of two of its greatest warriors added to the pain. The wake of Tifa and Kaede was the wake of every living being that had died in the Drahk attack.

The funeral was short and simple. There were no dramatics, no long speeches, simply teary-eyed friends and family saying goodbye to their loved ones, two brave, selfless souls. The officials said a few words, encouraged others to take heart in the miracle of their own lives, especially after so great a threat. Then it was over, a few pleasantries, tearful hugs and kisses...time to go on. Forget the past, move on to the present, and continue their lives.

...Or what was left of them...

Aeris walked up to the summit of the hill, coming to a halt beside Kaede's grave.

"I hope you'll like it here Kaede," she said, "peace...quiet...just like it was when we first kissed."

Aeris heaved a heavy sigh, "I think you'd be happy to see what's happened in the past few weeks. The world's starting to rebuild. Believe it or not, this whole thing helped to end years of tension."

Aeris laughed slightly, then spoke again, "you got what you wanted Kaede...the world accepted you as their hero. They'll remember your image, not you, but that's true of most of us. We forgave you Kaede...and I'm glad you were able to forgive yourself...I'm glad I was able to touch your heart before you..."

Aeris a quivering hand to her face, shuddering as her tears overcame her, "oh God...I miss you Kaede...I miss you so much..."

She felt a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"It's alright," said Cloud.

Vincent was with him, the others had gone inside Villa Cloud.

Cloud looked at her, tears in his eyes, "Aeris...I miss her so much..."

Aeris turned to him, not saying a word.

Cloud smiled slightly, "Tifa always said she'd hunt me down if I left her, but now...what will I do now? Dear Planet...how am I going to..."

Cloud closed his eyes, arms hanging limp at his sides.

Aeris held his hand, looking down, "Cloud...you've been through it before...does the pain ever stop?"

He shook his head, "never, but it does grow bearable in time, doesn't it Vincent?"

The ex-Turk nodded, "you'll never stop missing them...there will always be an emptiness left behind...but it will get better. You must remember what they fought to bring you, you must remember how their lives were filled with joy."

Vincent pointed to the horizon, as the sun peaked through the storm clouds in the distance, "look...a new dawn arises."

Cloud and Aeris turned to see the view, and understood. This was the legacy of Kaede and Tifa. They had strived for it, sacrificed for it, so that the others might enjoy the sun of another day.

And although the pain ate at them, they had hope. The world was growing all the time, life would go on, as it had for centuries.

...And so would they...to pursue new dreams, as dawn brought new hopes...

...As was fitting, for the Saviors of the Planet...

Author's Note: AARRGGHH! I almost hate myself for writing that last chapter, but I did it on a dare. Someone thought I couldn't bring myself to write an ending like that. Well, the other ending is next. If you want to review this chapter though, I suggest you do it before you read the next one. Anyway, next chapter is coming soon, it's just one more, and the last one too, so please read. Thanks.

Chapter 45: Darkness Falls

by Gemini83

Disclaimer: We're almost done here...I don't own FF7, just this story. Now "move out!"

Several years passed. Already, the events after Meteor began to fade into history. The Drahk were a tool now, used by mothers to scare naughty children. But the warriors who had fought in the Great War would never forget.

Into the despair that followed the Drahk war came a ray of hope. The members of Avalanche and the Turks joined together, forming a new alliance. Together, they helped to usher in a new era of peace into the world. Contact was made with other races from outside the solar system, and Cid, appropriately, was foreign ambassador for space relations.

Vincent and Yuffie had made a family, true to the ex-Turks dreams, above Lucretia's cave. Reeve and Elena married, forming a new banner to which others flocked, finally unifying the disparate peoples and governments around the world. Barret became mayor of North Corel, trading his gun arm for a hand of peace. Marlene grew into quite the speaker, it was said, and beautiful too. Red succeeded his parents as elder of Cosmo Canyon, retaking the mantle he had given up when they returned, and retired to a quiet life with his family.

Aeris and Cloud grew closer, and no one was surprised when they finally married. All their friends congratulated them, and the world was in jubilation. Finally, justice was served, as two more of the Planet's greatest protectors found joy at last.

Months more passed, all seemed right in the world...but the happiness was not to last...

Cloud had become a major power in the New Shinra Corporation, helping to decide it's foreign policies. Surprisingly, the ex-Soldier found he had a knack for political and social life.

As was usual, he preferred to drive himself home in his own car. It was sleek, worth every penny he paid for it. He was thinking about what he would buy for Aeris...tomorrow was their anniversary, after all...

He never saw the truck that ran a red light...until it was too late.

Aeris was working in her garden, humming happily to herself. Then Elmyra came outside, solemn and silent.

"Hi mom!" shouted Aeris, "want to help me out here? Cloud's coming home soon, and I can't decide which flowers to set on the dinner table."

The old woman looked frail indeed now, he face pale as a ghost.

Aeris saw her hands trembling, and knew something was wrong. Despite her age, Elmyra Gainsborough was as fit as they came. She looked and felt half her age, which was why Aeris was so frightened.

The older woman opened her mouth to speak, forcing the words out...and Aeris felt her world crash down around her...

...For Cloud Strife, her husband, the great warrior, the Planet's savior, had died...not in battle, not too some weapon...he had died...because of a drunk driver...

...He had died instantly...

Aeris screamed what was left of her sanity into the evening skies. Elmyra tried to comfort her, but Aeris ran away, as fast as her feet would take her, trying to outrun the pain she felt burning in her soul. She ran and ran...not knowing where she was going, until she ended up THERE...

...Kaede's grave...

Aeris slowly walked to the cliff's edge. Time and pressure had worn away as the beach, until it was now at the bottom of the cliff's she now stood upon. It was still as beautiful a place as it had ever been.

Aeris heard voices from the past, old memories resurfacing. It happened sometimes, she was a Cetra, after all, and she had always shared a special bond with her world.

"It's been so long...Kaede."

`It has...' replied the voice.

Aeris brought her hands to her face, "it's happening again Kaede...I've lost another that I love..."

The voice could not answer her, or didn't understand, all it could do was make comforting noises.

"I can't do this again Kaede," cried Aeris, "you were everything in my life...everything. And then Cloud came, and I...he's gone. You both left me...and now all that remains inside is emptiness."

She felt a soothing feeling caress her body, trying to comfort her...Kaede's spirit. But she was beyond help now. She had lost everything she had cared about, everything important in her life.

`What about the others?' asked the voice, `they will miss you...'

"They'll get over me," said Aeris to the winds, "no one needs me anymore anyway..."

The wind's reply was drowned out by a huge roar from above. Aeris looked up, to see a great beast land before her. It was a great dragon, but it was not Bahumet, or his brothers. The monster had been enraged by something...and the blood lust was in its eyes.

It was a renegade monster, a few had cropped up here and there. That was the Turks department, they had been hunting down the last rogue beasts, trying to make it safe for normal people again. It looks like they had missed some...

Aeris had no weapons, had no materia. She had nothing, nothing at all. The healer tried to draw the power from deep inside, but there was nothing to draw from. It was as if her power had left her, and she knew why. She was a healer, she was supposed to save people. But so many of her friends had perished, while she had been powerless to do anything about it...she was a failure.

And slowly...it dawned on Aeris...she wanted to die...

She laughed cruelly at the beast, spreading her hands, waiting for it to attack. It merely grunted, sensing something amiss, and flew away. Aeris blinked after it, wondering why it hadn't attacked...the answer came immediately...

The ground beneath her cracked, falling away from the weight of the Cetra and the dragon. With nothing left to support her, Aeris plummeted into the ravine, heading towards the rocky waters below. She fell without a sound, welcoming her demise.

"I love you mom, farewell..." she whispered

`No...'

"I loved Cloud, but I was always for you Kaede..."

`No...'

"I hope you rested well Kaede, for now I come to join you..."

She bid farewell to her old life, and died on the rocks below without another sound...

`NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!'

"NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Kaede woke up with a start, kicking and screaming.

"No! Aeris...don't die, NNNOOO!!!"

Two powerful sets of arms held him down tightly.

"Calm down Kaede!" shouted a voice, "CALM DOWN!"

The Planeswalker was disoriented, "WHERE IS SHE? SHE'S DEAD!!! TAKE ME TO HER!!! AAARRRGGGHHH!!!"

"KAEDE!" shouted the voice, " KAEDE!!!!"

He felt a needle plunging into his neck, hitting a major vein, and his thoughts slowed down again, as reality came crashing down around him.

Slowly, he came to realize he was in a room. It looked familiar...semi-rustic atmosphere, mixed in with new age technology. Lights softly gleamed down...where was this place...?

"You're in Villa Cloud..."

Kaede's eyes cleared, and he could see several other shapes materialize around him. The central image sharpened, resolving into...

"Shera," breathed Kaede, "what...how....?"

"You were out for a long time," said the woman, "it's been weeks since you and Tifa fell unconscious."

Then everything came rushing back to him. He wasn't dead, he had survived.

...He was alive...

"And Tifa?" asked the Planeswalker.

"She snapped out of it a few hours ago," came another voice, "if we didn't know better, we'd say you two timed it..."

Kaede turned around, "Barret..."

The giant man pulled a grin, slapping Kaede on the shoulder.

Kaede winced, "ugh, not too hard..."

Barret laughed, "sorry."

Kaede heard more laughter, and looked around the room. Almost everyone was there. Kaede squinted his eyes into focus once more, and saw more old friends.

"Bahumet!" shouted Kaede.

The King of Dragons flashed a toothy grin, "it is indeed good to see you well again sire."

Kaede groaned, "Zero, doesn't he ever let up?"

Bahumet Zero chuckled slightly, "never."

The Planeswalker grinned at them, but he was looking for someone else.

"Where is Aeris?" asked the Kaede.

The others grew silent and sober.

Shera nodded, "she's outside Kaede."

"Wouldn't leave your side this whole time," continued Cid, "for the whole week."

"We forced her out eventually," said Elena, "the girl hasn't breathed fresh air for far too long."

Kaede nodded, feeling light headed, "can I...?"

Shera nodded, "go ahead, just don't overdo it."

The Planeswalker nodded his thanks before getting to his feet.

"One more thing before you go," voiced Cid.

Kaede turned around.

"We contacted the Council," he continued.

"Indeed?" asked the Planeswalker, with an arched eyebrow.

Cid nodded, "Bahumet helped us out...you have friends that want to see you Kaede."

"Such as?" he asked.

"Such as..." started Bahumet, "Talos, and Kyra."

Kaede's features changed, turning into an odd mix of surprise and delight. They hadn't seen it on him before, but it didn't look out of place.

"I couldn't believe it man," said Reno, "that Kyra looks like Shiva's sister."

"Shiva?" asked Kaede.

"An ice elemental," offered Vincent.

Kaede laughed, "when is your next contact?"

"End of the day," answered Zero.

"I expect to be invited," said Kaede.

"Oh of course," replied Reeve, "we couldn't very well meet the leaders of the Planeswalkers without our own ambassador, could we?"

Kaede nodded, then backtracked, "hold on...Talos is coming HERE?"

Reeve laughed, "sorry Kaede, we couldn't wait for you to come around. But yes, he should be here before nightfall."

The Planeswalker shook his head, smiling, "you should make Cid your ambassador."

"Oh we did," said Elena, "you are the designate ambassador of the Planeswalkers.

"Courtesy of Kyra," offered Neo Bahumet.

Kaede shook his head, not believing it.

"It seems the Drahk are being pushed back on all fronts with the fall of the Emperor," explained Zero, "you are becoming popular among the ranks again."

The Planeswalker laughed, "must be Talos and Kyra's fault, the Council never likes to admit that it's wrong."

The three Bahumets chuckled.

"If you'll excuse me?" requested Kaede.

"Of course..."

Cloud and Tifa were embracing in the garden, grateful to be in each others' arms once again.

"Oh Planet ," whispered Cloud, "I thought I'd lost you."

Tifa hushed Cloud, caressing her hands along his hair, "it's alright Cloud, I'm here now."

Cloud drew back, cracking a smile, "don't you ever do that to me again."

Tifa grinned back, "at least you know how it feels now...to be sidelined, waiting for another's recovery."

Cloud held back his tears, "I won't do it again if you won't."

"Deal..." replied Tifa.

Once more they drowned themselves in each other, oblivious to the world.

Elmyra stood a respectful distance away, merely waiting. Then the waiting stopped...

...Kaede Knight stepped out of the front door, blinking, and shading his eyes against the first sunlight he had seen in days.

The older woman turned, her eyes beaming.

"Kaede!" shouted Tifa.

The Planeswalker waved hello, and was caught unawares by Tifa and Cloud's fierce grip.

"Ugh...air," breathed Kaede.

The two backed away, laughing.

Elmyra walked up to him, then slapped him on the shoulder.

Kaede looked at her askance, until Elmyra started smiling.

"Don't you ever scare me or my daughter like that ever again," grinned the older woman.

Kaede smiled back, "speaking of which."

"Ah, young love," said Elmyra.

"If you call a hundred years young," quipped Cloud.

Kaede laughed.

"Stop torturing him guys," said Tifa, "Aeris is on the beach."

The Planeswalker sobered, "how's she been?"

"Honestly," answered Elmyra, "not good. The poor dear's been sick with worry. Hasn't eaten right for days."

"Go talk to her Kaede," said Cloud, "she's waiting for you."

"And remember, I'm the bride's maid at your wedding," said Tifa.

"What about Kyra?" asked Cloud.

"...She can throw the rice..." said Tifa, a slightly combative tone in her voice

Kaede blushed slightly, causing Elmyra to laugh.

"I'm sorry to cut this short," said Kaede, "but patience is one of my stronger virtues today."

He smiled at them, then walked brusquely away in the direction of the beach.

Elmyra turned to the couple by her side.

"Now that," she said, "is the way things should be."

Author's Note: One last epilogue, then I'm done, I promise. Keep reading! Thanks.

Epilogue: Darkness Falls

by Gemini83

Disclaimer: For the last time, I don't own FF7, just this story. Yes, I know the epilogue is rather long, please bare with me. Thank the Planet I don't have to write THIS again!

Kaede nervously walked up to the edge of the beach, heading to the place in his dreams, the summit of the hill overlooking the shores. As he neared, he saw her...standing alone.

Aeris looked so forlorn, so alone out there, all by herself. He couldn't imagine how it must have been for her, seeing him fall, a hair's length away from death. His own dreams had dashed his hopes, destroyed his reason. He literally had died...only to be given this second chance to set things right.

He neared closer, a scant few feet from her, and found he could not speak. His hands trembled, his body shook with anticipation.

Finally, he managed to whisper her name.

"Aeris..."

Aeris heard the voice again, calling to her. She allowed herself to hope again, then reminded herself that it was just the wind, playing tricks on her again.

He had fallen into a deep sleep weeks ago. Aeris had lost all hope of his return after the battle, only to find that Kaede hadn't died, but had held onto the edge, caught between life and death. That had been almost worse, for several agonizing days, Aeris had despaired, hoped as things seemed to get better, and broken down as no improvement was made. For days it had been like that

"Aeris..."

Aeris lifted her head at the sound. It was...different now, different from all the other days, all the other fleeting dreams she had had of Kaede. Planet, she missed him. Aeris contemplated the hill, thinking how if it was a little higher, she would probably have jumped, joining Kaede forever.

"Aeris..."

Again she heard the voice, teasing and tormenting her. Wasn't it enough that she ached, day in and day out, by his bedside? It was like a prod, daring her to do something foolish...daring her to end it all. Aeris sniffed once, then strengthened her resolve again. She wouldn't do anything foolish. Save the melodramatic death scenes for "Loveless." The actors could keep them. Aeris would content herself with her hopes. Kaede would want it that way.

"Aeris..." this voice was more pronounced this time. If she didn't know any better, Aeris would have thought Kaede was behind her.

The Planeswalker was tired. Why wasn't Aeris listening to him? Was she purposely ignoring him? Then he delved into her thoughts, sharing that special bond he shared with her, and understood.

He stretched out with his mind, `I'm not a dream, nor a ghost...not this time...not ever again, I love you, now and forever...'

He said it again, "now and forever...Aeris..."

She turned around, slowly, not daring to believe. Kaede saw her eyes sparkle with newly rekindled hope as she gazed at him once more...

...In a heartbeat, they were in each others' arms, kissing with a strength and passion that only two lovers could share.

Aeris melted against him, reveling in the way her body molded against his. There was no more doubt, no more fears, no more ghosts...she was in his arms again...and that was all that mattered.

Aeris drew back, taking in a breath, "it's been a while...I like the new look, non-pale skin is much better on you, save the pallor for Vincent..."

Kaede grinned, "a week of setting by my bedside, worrying yourself to death, and now you're joking with me?"

Aeris arched an eyebrow, "who told?"

Kaede mirrored her reaction, "who didn't?"

The kissed each other once more.

"Hi," said Aeris.

"Hi," returned Kaede.

They lost themselves in each others' eyes, simply enjoying their closeness. Then a ship flew overhead, jarring them from their reverie.

"Is that Kitana?" asked Kaede.

Aeris shook her head, "Kitana and the Highwind are in for repairs, that's another ship."

The Planeswalker took a closer look at the glyphs adorning the sides of the craft. He looked at the horizon, the sun was still setting.

"`They'll be here before nightfall,'" remembered Kaede, "Talos...punctual as ever..."

"Is that your friends?"

"Yes."

"Will you take me to meet them?"

"Yes."

"Are you going to answer me in more than one word?"

Kaede turned to her, and pulled a grin, "eventually..."

Aeris smirked, "they want to make you a Councilman, or an ambassador, or something."

Kaede shrugged, "doesn't really matter, I have more...pressing matters to occupy my mind."

Aeris gave him a wry grin, "such as?"

Kaede wrapped his arms about her waist, bringing her in closer, "you have to ask? Besides, I did promise you I`d take you to the stars."

"Glad you remembered me," said Aeris.

"Always," replied Kaede.

Cloud looked on with Tifa, enjoying the view, "think things will calm down now?"

Tifa sniffed, "not a chance...not that I`d have it any other way."

"Just make sure you bring me along for the ride."

Tifa smiled, "come here..."

Red looked on his friends with a sense of pride. He was glad to know them, glad to have been a part of this legacy. It brought his soul even more joy that they had found happiness at last. A new race of allies would come now, spreading the good will shared by the Saviors of the Planet. The Cetra would come, the Planeswalker as well, to usher in a whole new era. But through all the miracles, through all the joys, one thing brought him the most happiness

...He had his family back...

Now the sun set on the horizon, putting a close to the fall of darkness that once threatened the land. New hope loomed ahead.

...And it would be their destiny to meet it...

Author's Note: IT...IS...FINALLY...OVER!!!!!!!! Five months of pure writing mayhem has finally ended. I originally wrote this fic because I didn't want to see FF7 end. Now that I'm finished, I'm not entirely sure I'm ready for it now. Well, that's life, things come and go. Yes, I wrote a happy ending, after much beating around the bush. You can tell I was raised on Disney Cartoons...

Anyway, the epilogue was long, longer than any epilogue has a right to be, but at least I cut it down. Originally it was chapter 45 AND the epilogue you just read (or didn't, if you're a CHEATER who skipped to the end! Shame, shame!).

I'll have one last afterword, explaining some seeming ambiguities in the story. You should be able to figure them out, but I spell it out for you in the afterword...read it if you want more insight into the story.

I'd just like to thank everyone who supported me in this fic. And to all of you who sent in reviews...thanks! You helped to shape the story and make this possible!

Afterword: Darkness Falls

by Gemini83

Disclaimer: Hah! I deem this unnecessary now! I could skip this and snap my fingers! But I'll be nice and say it...the story is mine, not FF7.

WARNING: LOTS AND LOTS OF JARGON!!!

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone who made this story possible. You are too numerous to name. Thanks to the friends who urged me to write this story...way back when it was just an idea I'd been kicking around. Thanks to everyone who reviewed this work, who sent in suggestions, and provided me with moral support. Thanks to everyone who read this fic, or will read it, or is reading it...I could go on and on.

Now, to the meat of the matter, strange unexplained occurrences in Final Fantasy 7: Darkness Falls, that you should be able to derive anyway:

1) What's with the "Highlander: the Quickening" scenes?

The whole "Highlander" absorbing your enemy's power thing: mainly a really cool way to grab your attention early on in the fic. It's only purpose was to add a little bit of intensity early on. However, it also served a purpose later in the fic, providing Methos with a second wind, giving him the power to nearly kill Kaede.

The are 2-3 ways one can receive "the quickening" in my story: one is if they are borne "to the school of hard knocks" that is the Cetra/Planeswalker/Drahk heritage. If you receive the gift, or have it in your bloodlines, you can do the "Highlander" thing.

For example: the dark beings in the beginning of the fic gave their powers over to Kaede, but not Xizor, later on. This is because Xizor did not have Planeswalker/Drahk blood in his veins.

I say Planeswalker/Drahk, because the two are interrelated, much like the Protoss and Dark Protoss in "Starcraft."

The only other way to receive the "quickening" is through the Rite of Blood.

2) What is the Rite of Blood?

Basically a pledge, made between two who join their blood together, vowing to protect each other. You don't necessarily have to blindly love the person, as in the Methos/Veletta case, but it does help strengthen the bond. The Rite of Blood was mainly a tool I used to join the wounds of the two warring couples, Kaede/Aeris vs. Methos/Veletta, and add a little twist to the fight scene.

However, the bond is not total, so if one dies, their power is absorbed into the body of their blood mate. This is why Methos received Veletta's powers, rather than Aeris.

Also, Kaede's power did not drain into Aeris, when he died, because it was a dream. If you are one of the people who likes the sad ending however, you can just pretend...

Kaede and Methos shared a Rite of Blood, but that was lost when they went their separate ways...you can only have a R.o.B. with one other person.

3) What about Kyra and Talos?

What about them? They are among the few people in the High Council who aren't righteous bigots. The others just used Kaede as a tool for justice, but Kyra and Talos were his friends. I would have featured them more, but I wanted to leave you guys craving SOMETHING, and this seemed the lesser of all evils.

4) What happens to the characters after the story?

They live happily ever after...the end, as in many good fantasy/fairytale stories. Yes, yes, again, I saw a lot of Disney as a child. Moreover, in the past people saw movies and read books to get away from the pressures and problems of the "daily grind." So, reading a sad ending kind of defeats the purpose of setting your mind at ease. That's why I wrote the happy ending this time. Next time however, I may not be so indulging (probably will though).

5) What about Gold Saucer?

It'll be raised back up as soon as Dio can get it up.

6) Travels to space?

Definitely.

7) Pairings?

Everyone who smooched, or came close to it, in the fic will be pairing it.

8) Sequels?

PROBABLY NOT (read "MY POINT' below). I mean, anything after this would have to take place more in space, ending up more like "Babylon 5" than Final Fantasy. Anything else might be anti-climactic. HOWEVER, I will try to write more fics...FF8 and beyond, Neon Genesis: Evangelion, Batman Beyond (love that show), even vampire related stuff (Vampire Hunter D, Blade, Blood: The Last Vampire), Ninja Scroll...you name it, I'll try it. I'll even try some original stuff, on occasion. Now that I've entered the world of fan fiction, I'm hooked!

MY POINT: I will write sequels to fics if I can make good tie-ins or have some mind blowing ideas. Also, if I can make a good idea for a crossover between this fic (Darkness Falls) and my FF8 fic, for instance, a sequel may happen, tying the two together, to make a loose trilogy.

Kudos to anyone who would like to post this up at other sites, just notify me first please.

**********************************

FF7: Darkness Falls

Started Nov. 2001

Finished Mar. 2002

Content: 45 Chapters, 2 Prologues, Epilogue, and Author Commentary.

Over 285 pages, single spaced, 12 size font, MS Word

Which Means: I love to torture myself (not really, or at least I hope not!)

**********************************

Final thanks to everyone. I hope you enjoyed this story, I guess authors only ever write fan fiction as a labor of love...for the enjoyment of those who don't want to let go of their favorite characters just yet. Well, I hope I didn't disappoint. Thanks again. Peace.