Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy: The chronicles of Four! ❯ To the temple, you fools! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

And so the second chapter in my warriors' lives! Mimic 12355, thanks for reviewing! I hope for you to read more! And as a footnote, I do not own FF1 or any characters in this story.
 
---
 
“I'm not saying it.” Black Belt said, sitting across from Fighter in the Creaky Door tavern. Fighter held up five playing cards.
 
“You have to say it, BB! We can't finish this game if you don't!” Fighter exclaimed. A few people stopped to stare at the two warriors as they were locked in a game of wits. Black Belt sighed.
 
“Okay... This goes against me, but I'll say it.” Black Belt said, leering at the table, “....Go fish.” With that, Fighter happily drew a card from the pile.
 
“See? I knew you could say it!” Fighter chirped happily.
 
“Hey, if our friends are out there in the face of danger, don't you find it disturbing that we're playing cards?” Black Belt asked. Fighter nodded, and they both looked towards the door.
 
“BARKEEP! Another round on our table!” They both yelled, shrugging.
 
---
 
It was a bright day as the four heroes walked out of Corneria Inn.
 
“Man, this stinks! We're going to see the king, and we have no proof of who we are!” Black Mage ranted as they walked towards the castle gates, “The king would have to be blind to let us go out on such a quest!” Thief looked towards the small battle guild as they passed.
 
“I could rob that guild. I'd score us some cheap, strong hero-wear in no time. Then we'd be convincing and ready to kick butt!” Thief exclaimed, simply in glee of his idea. White Mage sighed, placing her hand on her forehead.
 
“The point of being a hero is to help the people, not rob them blind, Thief...” she said. Red Mage pulled back to stay in line with the other three.
 
“Not like we'd have much time. We've been talking so much that we're already at the gates.” Red Mage added. Surely enough, the foursome were at the rather majestic gate to Corneria Castle, but the gate seemed harmless compared to the guard that was standing in front of it.
 
“Leave this to me.” Black Mage commanded, and walked up to the guard, “Out of my way! I'm here to see the king.” The guard didn't budge.
 
“Sorry, but the king is interviewing for the Light Warriors right now. You'll have to wait about two weeks to see him.” the guard said. Red Mage walked up towards Black Mage.
 
“But we are the Light Warriors.” Red Mage said, “Here's the proof.” Red Mage showed the guard four lifeless orbs. The guard examined them carefully. He seemed to have a hard time deciding whether to let the heroes inside.
 
“We'll see what the king says. You may pass.” The guard got out of the way, so the four youths walked into the castle. Another guard came and led them up the stairs towards the king's room. The king looked very upset, and the sight of the four youths didn't seem to make him feel much better.
 
“Who are you four?” he asked, though he sounded very tired. Red Mage stepped away from the group towards the throne, and knelt respectively.
 
“We are but four heroes, seeking to fulfill the prophecy of the orbs. I know you may have doubts, but we do have four orbs with us.” he said, and once again handed over the four lifeless orbs. The king sighed with boredom.
 
“Says you and all of the other people I've sent to rescue my daughter. Anyone with a crystal thinks they are heroes, but the true proof lies within the Temple of the Fiends.” the king explained, giving the orbs back. Black Mage put his hands on his hips.
 
“I'm guessing we have to go to this temple and retrieve something. What it is, a cup?” Black Mage asked, raising an eyebrow.
 
“No. My daughter, Princess Sara, was captured by the evil knight, Garland. If you can manage to defeat Garland, then I'll allow you passage to Pravoca. But if you can't, then you will sadly die from his onslaught.” the king replied. Thief put his fist to his heart.
 
“We'll do it! We'll save your daughter. But... you can help us out, right?” Thief asked, a little worry showing in his voice. The king shook his head.
 
“I am truly sorry, warriors. But I have given all of the people before you my greatest of armor and weapon. All I have left are a few magical scrolls. You may take those, all of them. We've no need, for we haven't any mages. But it is the least I can do if you are so willing to help me.” the king said, and showed the four a few magic scrolls. When the four youths left the castle, Red Mage was equipped with a Fire and a Sleep spell, White Mage had a Cure and a Harm spell, and Black Mage had another Fire and a Bolt spell.
 
“Okay, now this really stinks. We have to go to death's door, fight off a probably invincible knight, and we have no potions, nor do we have any weapons!” Black Mage ranted again, as the four walked towards the city gates, “At this point, I'm surprised we weren't smeared along the walls by now!”
 
“At least we have some magic.” White Mage said, “So we can fight to some extent.”
 
“And if we're lucky, maybe a few monsters outside have weapons on them.” Red Mage added, opening the gates to the outside world. Black Mage stopped suddenly, glaring at Red Mage.
 
“And what are we going to do then? Ask them for their weapons? Oh, like that'll go well! Oh, hello, Mr. Imp! I have to kill you, but could I use your dagger afterwards? Thbbbt!” Black Mage exclaimed sarcastically, spitting at the end of his sentence.
 
“Well, at least it's better than not thinking at all, BM!” Red Mage yelled back, “I haven't seen you come up with ANYTHING other than to complain since we left!”
 
“Uh... guys?” Thief pointed to a shadow in the distance, but no one paid any attention. Red Mage and Black Mage continued to bicker.
 
“GUYS!!” Thief screamed this time, making the two mages jump.
 
“What?!?” They both yelled in unison. Thief dragged them over to where he was.
 
“Monsters. Now we can test RM's theory.” Thief said. Black Mage looked to where Thief pointed. He could see three imps and a ghost wandering by. Two of the imps had dirks, the third was carrying a sword, and the ghost wobbled along on a staff.
 
“If you look, genius, you'll see there are four monsters.” Black Mage said.
 
“And? What's the problem?” Thief asked, raising an eyebrow.
 
“We only have two spells to kill them with. That's “what's wrong.” Black Mage replied, narrowing his eyes. White Mage also spotted the weapons the monsters had with them.
 
“Although I hate to rob, we do need their weapons. We need a plan to con them out of their wares. Let's think about this.” White Mage said, looking at her three companions. Red Mage and Thief were already onto a plan. Black Mage was too busy whining about the lack of a Flare spell.
 
“Correction... They'll think.” White Mage muttered, sitting down.
 
---
 
After about half an hour, Thief and Red Mage came up with an ingenious... well, maybe it was a stupid idea. Thief found a rather large box, and made it look like a small concession stand. Up top, Red Mage sat with a net and a guide to better stat increases.
 
“FREE FOOD! GET YOUR FREE FOOD HERE!” Thief shouted towards the monsters. They looked over at him, and whispered a few things. Behind the “concession stand,” White Mage and Black Mage waited, watching carefully.
 
“I've said it once, I'll say it again. This is a stupid idea.” Black Mage said, shaking his head with disapproval. White Mage slapped him lightly.
 
“Shhhh! They're moving!” she hissed. It was true. The monsters had stopped their discussion and were walking towards the stand.
 
“And what can I get for you lovely monsters today?” Thief said, wearing an apron and a chef's hat. One imp, who was in gray unlike the others, stepped up.
 
“We'd like some fish, please. Uncooked would be nice.” the imp stated. The ghost mumbled something. “Oh, and a dead squirrel or bird for my friend there.”
 
“I see. Lucky you, you're just in time for the catch of the day!” Thief exclaimed, “RED MAGE, NOW!” Red Mage jumped down and tackled the Gr. Imp. The other monsters started screaming.
 
“AAAAH! RUN!”
 
“We've been tricked!”
 
“I'm too young to die twice!” But Thief also started punching and kicking at the monsters. Within a few minutes, the ghost disappeared, and the imps were lying on the ground, defeated.
 
“That sure was easy! Well, now we're ready to fight Garland!” Thief exclaimed, signaling to White Mage and Black Mage.
 
“And Thief and I even gained a level! Talk about luck!” Red Mage added. He handed the team's “new weapons” to the corresponding members. White Mage took the staff, Thief and Black Mage took the two daggers, and Red Mage kept the sword.
 
“So, anyone have any idea where the Temple of Fiends is?” Thief asked when they continued their journey. White Mage tapped her new staff on the ground.
 
“I remember Fighter saying something about a temple to the north of here. Why don't we go that way? He might've seen what we're looking for.” she said. Black Mage shivered.
 
“We're going there? Do we really have to?” The other three looked back at Black Mage in surprise. He never backed out of a challenge.
 
“Why shouldn't we? If what Fighter saw was the temple, why not go? We need to prove ourselves to the king.” Red Mage answered, sheathing his sword.
 
“I know, but there are wolves up there. They attack in packs, and they're mean!” Black Mage explained. Thief chuckled.
 
“Come on! You're a Black Mage! You have incredible magic and you're worried about wolves?” Thief asked, trying to hold back his laughter. Black Mage fiddled his thumbs a bit.
 
“They're resistant to magic. And they're hard to hit. But you all got to me. We need to do this, so let's go. White Mage, be prepared for some healing.” Black Mage said. As they walked further north, Red Mage patted Black Mage's back.
 
“You're not so evil after all, are you? You're actually going to go through with us.” Red Mage said. Black Mage sighed.
 
“Friends are friends. And if you all are going to throw your lives away, I'm not going to sit there alone. I'm going too.” he replied. After a while though, Black Mage started to rethink what he said. The sun had sunk below the forest trees where our heroes had to trek through, and it was growing darker every minute.
 
“Guys, we've been here for hours. I'm starting to think this was a trick.” Black Mage said. Thief sat on a rock, panting a little.
 
“I agree with BM, here. What if there is no temple, and this is to thin out the line of warriors the king has to see?” Thief asked. White Mage tapped her foot.
 
“Nonsense! We must go on! Corneria depends on us! We must save the prince... huh?” White Mage stopped as howls slowly pierced the sky. Black Mage shivered again.
 
“Wolves...” Red Mage said, although everyone got what the sound was. Red Mage drew his new sword as something rustled through the bushes. Thief slowly grabbed his dagger and stalked towards the bush. Suddenly, before anyone could react, a wolf jumped out at Thief!
 
“THIEF!! Are you okay!?” White Mage, Black Mage, and Red Mage were in a panic until the dust cleared. Thief was laughing as the wolf playfully licked his face.
 
“Aww, isn't he sweet? He's harmless, guys! Nothing to worry about!” Thief said, trying to stop his laughing. The wolf then bounded for Red Mage.
 
“Harmless?! What about the other wolves?! I suppose you think they're harmless too?” Black Mage asked, annoyed. Thief nodded.
 
“Why wouldn't they be? This one's a sweetie!” Thief exclaimed, petting the wolf, “I'm calling it Freddy!” Red Mage once again sheathed his sword. He walked over to the wolf and petted it too, then he looked seriously at Thief.
 
“We can't keep it. It belongs out here, and we haven't the time for a pet anyway. We need to get to the temple to rescue Sara.” he said sternly. Thief sighed sadly and let the wolf go. But as soon as the foursome started walking, the wolf followed them.
 
“Why is this bag of fleas following us?!” Black Mage asked angrily. White Mage took a look at the wolf, although she didn't know the answer either.
 
“Maybe it likes us!” Thief said, “Now we'll have to keep it!”
 
“As I said, we haven't the time for a pet, Thief. Do you want it to die if we have to fight something?” Red Mage asked. Thief shook his head quickly. “Then we must let it go. If it chooses to follow us, that's its choice, not ours. Move forward.” After that, no one said very much as the team walked through the forest. Night had now fallen, but the faint moonlight did reveal the path out.
 
“Finally! I thought any longer and we'd rot in that forest!” Black Mage said, running around happily. If he weren't so dignified, he'd start kissing the ground too.
 
“Well, here's the temple. Think we should go in?” Thief said. As it turned out, the forest led right to the front door to the temple. White Mage looked around.
 
“Yes. But something bothers me. Don't you find it odd that there are no enemies here, no traps, and not even an ounce of resistance here?” White Mage asked, worriedly. Red Mage nodded and walked under the archway.
 
“It's as though he wants us to go in. Maybe he's expecting us.” Red Mage suggested. Black Mage snorted, irritated by the discussion.
 
“Yeah, expecting us to get our butts kicked before now.” Black Mage added sarcastically, “Well, if that's the case, why don't we show him why we're the Light Warriors.” Black Mage headed inside, and soon, the other three followed.
 
“Geez, you'd think that with him being the most feared villain on the Cornerian continent, his pad would be a little more... dangerous.” Black Mage stated, “It's just a big hallway.” It was true, the Temple of Fiends was nothing more than one long hallway with locked doors on either side.
 
“It makes it easier to find Garland, at least.” Thief said, “But from the looks of things, I'm guessing he makes up for corny decorations with pure strength. I've never seen more skeletons in my life!” The four heroes stepped cautiously through the hall, as it was littered with bones and skulls from the other warriors who passed here. When they reached the end of the hallway, Red Mage carefully opened up the door to reveal a knight in black armor sitting on a throne.
 
“I'm guessing that's Garland...” Red Mage said. White Mage nodded.
 
“And that's probably Princess Sara.” she whispered, pointing to a young girl lying on the ground. Thief burst through the door and walked right up to Garland.
 
“Who dares to enter my domain?!” Garland asked angrily. Thief took out his dagger angrily.
 
“I'm Thief, and I'll kick your sorry butt for capturing the princess!” Thief yelled, doing some weird ninja kung-fu pose.
 
“We're gonna die...” Black Mage said as he, White Mage, and Red Mage walked up behind Thief. Garland laughed hysterically seeing the four youths.
 
“You four are brave, I give you that! But you are no match for my strength, children!” Garland exclaimed, literally jumping off of his throne. He landed in front of Thief.
 
“Yeah, we saw your other “guests” out there. We get that you're strong.” Black Mage said, “But did you have to kill them in the hallway?” Garland looked confused for a minute.
 
“Those warriors from the king? Heavens, I didn't do that! My pet dragon, Ruby, must've done that. No one's challenged me for ages!” Garland replied, “I was beginning to wonder if anyone even cared that I kidnapped Sara.” He pointed to the sleeping girl next to the throne.
 
“Okay, beside the point that you haven't harmed her in any way, we'll still have to kill you. Prepare for one nasty fight, dude.” Thief said. Everyone readied their weapons.
 
“Yes, I have been waiting for an adversary of good merit. Let the fight begin!” Garland bellowed, drawing his own sword. Red Mage tried to slash Garland, but Garland gracefully deflected the hit. Thief tried to throw his dagger, but again, Garland was too fast.
 
“Yeah, yeah. Try to dodge this, helmet head!” Black Mage exclaimed, aiming his only Fire spell at Garland. It was a direct hit, and soon Garland's cape began to ignite! Everywhere in the temple, Garland's screams of “OHMYGOD, THAT'S HOT!!!!” could be heard! White Mage saw this as an opportunity and smashed her staff on Garland's leg. Garland then bent down in pain, while trying to roll on the ground to put out the fire on his cape.
 
“Is it me, or is this the easiest fight we've ever had thus far?” Red Mage asked, as he and Thief charged to strike the final blows.
 
“Who cares? I'm not complaining!” Black Mage yelled.
 
“Yeah, the quicker we get this done, the more money the king will give us for rescuing Sara!” Thief added, and punched Garland in the face. As if from a comic, Garland flew straight through the wall into the pit of spikes on the side of the castle. He held up a white flag.
 
“Okay!! You win! Just take Sara and... actually, do you mind helping me out?” Garland asked. Black Mage sighed as White Mage and Thief ran over to the gigantic hole where the wall used to be.
 
“Fine. We'll spare you. But just answer this...” Black Mage said, “If you're such an awesome villain, why the heck do you have a pit of spikes on the side of the building instead of in front?!”
 
“Do you know how many people try to sneak in here through the window?!” Garland shrieked, as Thief helped him out of the pit, “I certainly cannot accept that kind of garbage around here. I too have a reputation to uphold!”
 
“Yeah, as being the most idiotic loser ever spawned from the lamest planet in the weakest of galaxies... that's you.” Black Mage mumbled as Garland dusted himself off.
 
“Well, seeing as how you've won, you should take Sara and high-tail it before the king sends another warrior for Ruby to eat.” Garland said, sitting on the throne again.
 
“But what about you?” White Mage asked, as Red Mage picked Sara up.
 
“Oh, just tell the king I died or something.” Garland replied simply. Black Mage shrugged.
 
“Works for me.” he said, as the four left the temple. A little while after though, they stopped. Princess Sara had woken up.
 
“Hmm? Where am I?” she asked, “Last I remember, Garland said I should get some sleep because it was so late.” Thief bowed.
 
“Princess, you've nothing to fear. Garland is gone now.” he said, smiling.
 
“Yeah, we toasted his sorry butt. Literally, you should've seen him!” Black Mage exclaimed excitedly. Princess Sara yawned.
 
“I see. Well, thank you, kind warriors. My father must be worried. Let's go see him.” Sara said, but Red Mage shook his head.
 
“How? We're about a mile away from Corneria.” Red Mage explained. Sara smiled gently.
 
“I am a descendant of Lady Jane, the legendary white mage in Corneria. I have a warp spell to send us back.” she said, and with that, she chanted a few words and the foursome found themselves in the king's room.
 
“Ah, thank you. You four truly are the Light Warriors. Now, you must go to Pravoca. That is where the quest truly begins.” the king said, seeing his daughter.
 
“What about the reward?” Thief asked, hanging his head.
 
“Oh yes! I know. It will help you immensely on your journey.” the king replied.
 
“What is it? Gold? Weapons? Magic spells of death?” Black Mage asked, almost jumpy with glee. The king laughed good-naturedly.
 
“Oh no! It will be a bridge!” the king exclaimed. Everyone else in the room twitched.
 
“A bridge?!”
 
“Yes. I've been meaning to repair it for years, but you four gave me the push to do so! I hope it'll help you with your journey.” the king said.
 
“Okay, how in the 10 levels of Hell will it help us if you build yourself a bridge?!” Black Mage asked, “And what journey are you talking about?! We're only saving Sara, and that was it!”
 
“You mean you don't know the legend?” The four youths shook their heads, “Well, those who defeat Garland are the Light Warriors, and they must re-light the orbs to save the world.”
 
“What does defeating Garland have to do with the orbs?” Red Mage asked. Sara stepped forward.
 
“That's something we are not yet sure of. You need to go visit Lukahn in Crescent Village, which is to the southwest of here. The journey there will not be easy.” Sara explained, “You will need this sometime in the future. It was passed down from queen to princess for centuries.” Sara handed Red Mage a very old lute.
 
“Thank you. We will re-light the orbs. I promise you that.” Red Mage said, as he and his friends bid farewell to the king. Sara looked at the sky, towards the fading moon.
 
“Good luck, my brave warriors...”
 
-----------------------------(End of chapter 2)
 
Well, now that my heroes have saved the princess, what must they do next? Can they make it to the town of Pravoca? And what happened to Garland? Once again, I might not update until I get farther in the game or until I get some reviews. So click the Review button please!