Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy: The chronicles of Four! ❯ Some unexpected guests and a new boat! ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

So many reviews, and so little time... Thank you all so much, I think the past chapter's reviews have helped me the most. I didn't realize my story's similarities until you all told me, and I'd like to say sorry for that. I didn't intend to do that, and to “...”, the ogre was chosen completely at random in the first chapter. This isn't an excuse, and I'll tone down the 8-bit stuff. As always, I don't own FF or 8-bit.
 
---
 
Fighter and Black Belt stood outside a brand new bar in the small town of Cherry. The Creaky Door tavern had gone bankrupt, no thanks to the fact that Fighter and BB kept getting free drinks, or from the fact that they scared everyone off with their stupidity.
 
“So, what's this place called?” Fighter asked, as people around them chattered away. Black Belt looked up at the huge sign.
 
“Looks like it's called the Bradford Bar. Kind of a weird name if you ask me.” Black Belt replied. Just then, a green-haired girl walked out of the building and up to a stand. Everyone began cheering, and Fighter's jaw nearly dropped to the floor.
 
“Fighter, what's wrong?” Black Belt asked, concerned.
 
“That's... That's Terra Bradford! OHMYGOD! She is only the BEST sword-wielder ever!” Fighter exclaimed, love-struck, “I gotta shake her hand!”
 
“Fighter, wait!” Black Belt cried, but he was too late. Fighter was already on his way to Terra.
 
“First of all, I'd just like to...” Terra began until Fighter slammed into her, “AAAH!” Terra fell off the stage.
 
“Terra!! I love you, you're the best, I can't believe you're here!” Fighter exclaimed as Black Belt dragged him off the stage and into their small hide-out.
 
“With our friends gone, the last thing I need is you being arrested...” Black Belt mumbled.
 
---
 
Meanwhile, the real heroes of the story were walking through the fields as Matoya had instructed.
 
“Do we have to do this quest? Can't we just go about our adventure without her?” Black Mage asked, as they walked through the heat.
 
“Well, it might be nice to help her out.” White Mage replied, “After all, the main purpose of warriors is to help the people.”
 
“Not to mention she said she'd give us a reward!” Thief added happily, throwing the small sack that held their supplies around.
 
“But what about equipment?” Black Mage cried, “We only have one potion! We might need more! Red Mage, you're with me, right?” Red Mage looked at the sack thoughtfully.
 
“I see your point, BM.” Red Mage started, but Black Mage interrupted him.
 
“See!! I knew he was on my side!” Black Mage exclaimed, uncharacteristically in glee.
 
“You didn't let me finish...” Red Mage grumbled, “We may have but a potion, but we also have Cure magic, and I'm sure we'll be in Pravoca soon. Besides, Matoya might have leads as to where the first altar for the orbs is anyway.” Upon hearing this, Black Mage almost went berserk.
 
BUT WHAT ABOUT MONEY!?” Black Mage screamed, jumping up and down angrily. Thief took out some gil in his pocket.
 
“We've got about 286 gil. That should do it, right?” Thief asked, confidently. However, Black Mage was not convinced.
 
“Yeah, that'll buy us what... 4 potions! Ooooh! Four potions! Like that'll get us to the first altar!” Black Mage ranted, “I'd be friggin' surprised if it gets us back to Matoya's cave!” White Mage was getting pretty annoyed with Black Mage's complaints.
 
“Well, I don't see you charging into battle, BM.” White Mage stated, tapping her foot impatiently. Black Mage shrugged.
 
“I prefer to fight at a safe distance. Besides, it's not like I can do very much damage physically anyway.” Black Mage replied. Red Mage nodded.
 
“So, with that being said, I think magic should be our prime goal for now. After all, there are three mages in our party. Let's see... with the potential for three awesome spells each... and according to this guide here... each spell is about 400 gil.” Red Mage began to write something down. Black Mage sighed.
 
“We could be here for hours if we let him figure this out.” Black Mage warned.
 
“But we need to know what we're actually saving up for.” White Mage countered, “Not to mention, we could use the experience to get stronger.” By that time, Red Mage was done with his calculations.
 
“I've got it!” Red Mage exclaimed, putting his feather-pen back onto his hat, “We'll need about 4500 gil to get the equipment we'll need from Pravoca. But this doesn't include potions and stuff like that.” Black Mage sighed. This would be a long night.
 
“But we only have 286 gil... That means we need to fight a ton to afford this. Come on, team.” Black Mage said, although he wasn't enthusiastic about it at all. It would be a very long night.
 
After the hard fought battles, the team managed to score about 2400 gil, which, according to Pravoca Tours magazine, roughly added to their upgraded equipment and about 4 spells. Thief figured that was enough to get them through for now, especially since Black Mage was beginning to whine from pain more than the enemies were. But seeing as how they were only on level 2, no one was really surprised.
 
“My arm hurts!” Black Mage whined pathetically. Thief sighed as he carried Black Mage on his back.
 
“We know, BM. You've been complaining for the past ten minutes.” Thief groaned, as he tried to shift Black Mage a little, “RM, how much further until we reach Pravoca?”
 
“Well, we're in a small swampland, and seeing how Pravoca is a coastal town, it should only be a few minutes until we get there.” Red Mage replied, “Why?”
 
“Good! I think Black Mage gained some weight. He's heavy!” Thief exclaimed. Black Mage twitched, and then leapt onto the ground, eyes red with rage.
 
THINK I'M OVERWEIGHT, HUH?” Black Mage roared, “I'VE HAD IT WITH THIS QUEST! I'M GONNA FRY YOU!” He immediately aimed what appeared to be a large fireball at Thief. White and Red Mage grabbed his arms to hold him back. Black Mage lashed around angrily.
 
“Let me go! He deserves to die!” Black Mage screamed. But soon he fell on the floor. White Mage stood behind him, dusting her staff off triumphantly.
 
“Now that that distraction is over, we should really get to Pravoca.” White Mage said sweetly, and began walking down the field again. Red Mage and Thief followed, dragging Black Mage along the floor. Within a few minutes, they had reached the beautiful little town of Pravoca.
 
“What should we do with BM?” Thief asked, “He's not looking too good.”
 
“I agree.” Red Mage said, as he examined Black Mage. Black Mage was covered in dirt, which wasn't a surprise since he was dragged about half a mile on the ground.
 
“Maybe some water will help him.” White Mage suggested. She took an empty bottle from their sack and filled it with water from the town fountain. Then she dumped the water all over Black Mage. He woke up with a start.
 
“What? Where am I? What was I doing?” Black Mage asked, genuinely confused, “And why am I soaking wet!?” He turned to look at his friends. Red Mage and Thief pointed to White Mage.
 
“Thanks, guy...” White Mage grumbled, “Anyway, now that you're up, we should do the shopping.” Black Mage snickered.
 
“You sound like a housewife, you know.” Black Mage teased, “Oh, look at me! I'm a goody-goody! Let's go do the shopping! Let's go save the world! What's next? Are you gonna make us wear dresses or something?” Black Mage then burst into hysterical laughter. Unfortunately for him, the other three didn't share his humor.
 
“GET MOVING!” White Mage ordered angrily, hitting Black Mage again with her staff. She then stomped over to the magic store. Black Mage rubbed his head.
 
“Man, I don't care what those stupid guides say. Her hits hurt the worst!” Black Mage exclaimed, getting up. He, Red Mage, and Thief followed White Mage into the store...
 
“I can't BELIEVE those idiots!” Black Mage ranted as they walked out of the store 15 minutes later, “All of that work and no spells worth learning!”
 
“Hey! That ice spell was a bargain!” Thief cried, although he was sure it was a rip-off too. Black Mage spat.
 
“Look, BM. I know you're mad, but now we have more money for potions and things we'll need.” Red Mage said, trying to calm Black Mage down. Black Mage choked back his anger and instead stuffed his hands into his pockets.
 
“Fine... let's get our equipment and get some rest.” Black Mage mumbled, as the four then walked into the armory. After an hour of shopping and haggling, the four heroes retired to the inn. Black Mage was thankful that Red Mage talked Thief out of getting a gold pocketknife, or else they would be sleeping in dirt.
 
“You know, now that I think about it, how are we gonna find Astos? Matoya never said where he was, did she?” Thief asked, flopping on his bed.
 
“Maybe one of the villagers know something about him.” White Mage replied, setting her new hammer on the table. Black Mage grumbled angrily.
 
“Can we discuss this tomorrow? I'm trying to sleep here!” Black Mage complained. White Mage sighed and got into her bed. Red Mage turned out the lights and soon the foursome was asleep. The next morning, though, Red Mage and Thief left before White and Black Mage were even up.
 
“Red Mage, did we have to leave so early?” Thief yawned as they walked down the dim sunlit street. Red Mage, however, didn't seem one bit tired.
 
“Well, we need to ask around for Astos, and you know Black Mage wouldn't help.” Red Mage replied.
 
“But couldn't we wake WM up?” Thief asked, tying his bandana in his hair.
 
“No, she puts up with us enough. Some extra sleep won't hurt her.” Red Mage said. But inside, he was wondering if they should've waited. Almost no one was outside, save for seven people hanging outside the pub.
 
“Why don't we start with them?” Thief asked, pointing to the group. Red Mage nodded, and walked over to them. The boss, who actually looked like a pirate, eyed them suspiciously.
 
“Excuse me, sir. But do you know the location of one named Astos?” Red Mage asked. The other six looked at their leader. He grinned evilly.
 
“Aye, that I do. He lives across the Aldi sea, in the land of the elves. But anyone who dares to fight him have never returned.” he explained. Thief puffed out his chest confidently.
 
“Except for us! We're the Light Warriors!” Thief exclaimed. The pirate's eyes gleamed.
 
“Are ye, now?” he asked, with interest. Just then, White Mage and Black Mage came running, and they both looked worried.
 
“There you are... Oh!” White Mage gasped, “What the?”
 
“Good news! We know where Astos is now!” Thief said happily. Black Mage, however, scrunched his nose.
 
“That's nice but we have a bigger problem at the moment!” he exclaimed pointing to the lead pirate.
 
“We were asking around yesterday when you both were in the armor store, and those seven are pirates! They've been terrorizing the village! Even worse, they work for Astos!” White Mage explained, “The leader's name is Bikke, and he's the most feared pirate in history!” Bikke threw off his cape to reveal a middle-aged man with a curly black beard, and the usual pirate look.
 
“Argh, that I be! Astos asked me to drown the lot he's planning on saving the world.” Bikke turned to his crew, “Get `em, boys!” The six pirates sprang to attack as three more ran out of the pub to join.
 
“There's nine of them?!” Black Mage yelled angrily, but Red Mage kept his cool.
 
“That won't be a problem if we put them to sleep. BM, use your sleep spell!” Red Mage exclaimed. Black Mage nodded, and cast a fine powder over the pirates. All nine of them fell asleep. White Mage, Red Mage, and Thief each took on a pirate as Black Mage attempted his new Ice spell. Soon, the battle was over.
 
“Ye... ye destroyed me crew!?” Bikke was in shock.
 
“Yup. Now then, help us get to Astos and we might just spare your meaningless life.” Black Mage threatened. Bikke gulped.
 
“Okay. A deal be a deal. You'll need a ship to cross, so take mine. You won it fair and square.” Bikke said. Thief still wasn't completely satisfied.
 
“And promise to stay out of trouble too?” Thief asked. Bikke nodded.
 
“Aye, I keep my word. I'll leave here for good.” he replied. The four heroes nodded, and began to leave for the port. Black Mage whacked Bikke with his new staff before he left. Bikke rubbed his head until he saw a girl pirate stomp up to him.
 
“BIKKE! Why are four landlubbers pilfering our ship?!” asked a brawny, blonde pirate.
 
“Aye, I'm sorry, Faris. They won it fair and square...” Bikke replied. Faris began throwing a hissy-fit.
 
Meanwhile, the heroes were beginning to sail off into the sea.
 
“I hope we reach Elfheim soon.” White Mage said, “That's the capital of Elfland, so I'm sure someone will know something.”
 
“Its king is also supposed to know how to revive the four orbs, too. All the more reason to hurry.” Red Mage added. Thief nodded.
 
“Not to worry. My uncle taught me how to steer a boat, so we'll be there before you know it!” Thief exclaimed. Black Mage was over the side of the boat, throwing up.
 
“Could you slow it down? I just lost my breakfast.” he mumbled.
 
“Sorry, but no can do! We have to help Matoya and figure out how to save the orbs!” Thief exclaimed proudly.
 
“After all, we're the Light Warriors!”
 
-----------------------------(They're so confident, aren't they?)
 
And so, our heroes now got their hands on a boat! Can they get to Elfheim safely? Will anyone know where Astos is? Does the king really know how to revive the orbs? And why did I put Terra and Faris in here? All will be revealed next chapter! So click that Review button!