Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy: The World of One ❯ The Card of Doom ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Final Fantasy: The World of One

******************************************

Final Fantasy, the characters within and all terms with relations to the said game series are registered trademarks of Square Enix. The original characters depicted in this fanfiction piece are copyrighted to the author. Thus, nothing in this fanfic can be used without the author's, or the game producer's permissions.

******************************************

This fanfic is rated PG-13 for strong language, violence, alcohol and suggestive themes.

******************************************

The Card of Doom

"You are getting better, Hikoichi." Vincent remarked after a day of rigorous training. "You're a natural. When time comes, you'll be a better Myrmidon than I am."

"Thank you, Master." Hikoichi answered. "But, I am nothing without your guiding."

It had been two weeks or so since Vincent and Anne had returned from their Adamantine quest. For each day of the first week that had passed, Vincent was teaching Hikoichi the basics of using a sword. Surprisingly, the boy learns very fast, and by the second week, they had moved on to a Myrmidon's basic techniques.

"I told you to stop calling me `Master'. I'm just like you, an apprentice." Vincent said. "Anyway, I want you to rest for now. We'll resume this in the morning."

"When are we going to learn about the secret techniques?" Hikoichi asked.

"Don't rush." Vincent said. "We'll get to that in due time. As for now, I want you to practice and master the Six Root Attacks, okay?"

"Just a question, Master Vincent. Why are they called the `Six Root Attacks'?"

"That's a good question." Vincent answered. "The six techniques I have taught you: Braver, Rough Divide, Spiral Cut, Cross Slash, Sonic Thrust, and Blade Beam, they are called the Six Roots because all of the advanced techniques of a Myrmidon are either a more powerful aspect of one of the Six Roots, or is a combination of any or all six of them. Example, Climhazzard, the move you just practiced, is a more powerful version of Rough Divide."

"Wow." Hikoichi said. "Okay, thanks Master. Oh, yeah! Grandfather asked me if you could join us for dinner today."

"Why not?" Vincent said. Everyone was very hospitable to him in Madan Sari, even though he was there only for a short period of time. The children would invite him to their games, as the young men would ask him for advice on combat, as well as his hand in hunting for game. Vincent was quite surprised at how this small community of less than 100 members was able to live harmoniously with nature, and the Ancients.

"Thanks a lot Master." Hikoichi said gleefully as they walked towards Masamune's temple-house. "You know, Grandfather is very happy nowadays that I am training to be a fighter. He said that once I have come of age, he will make me a sword that will be almost impossible to break!"

"An unbreakable sword?" Vincent asked.

"Yup! Ever since we started to journey together, Grandfather had always been looking for the metal that could make an unbreakable sword. Even though Adamantine is strong, it still can be broken. Grandfather is looking for something to aid the Adamantine so it can be stronger."

"I see." Vincent said. "So, what are you having for dinner today?"

"I dunno." Hikoichi replied. "But, if it's Grandfather, it's probably grilled fish and rice. Bleah..." Hikoichi made a face and pretended to vomit.

"Hey, don't do that." Vincent said. "Fish and rice are good for your health."

"You SHOULD try the food Grandfather cooks." Hikoichi said. "He may be a good swordsmith, but sometimes, burned wood is better than his cooking."

"Yeah, whatever."

"Seriously... oh, looks like we're here." Hikoichi said as they reached Masamune's gate. "Grandfather, we're here!" Hikoichi called out as they both got inside the Masamune residence.

"Oh, Hikoichi, welcome home." Masamune called out. "If Vincent is with you, can you bring him here at the living room?"

"Yeah." Hikoichi led Vincent to a wide room that was open on one side, and was next to a Japanese-looking garden, complete with a small stream and a wooden bridge over it. In the center of the roofed area was Masamune seated cross-legged on the floor.

"Vincent, thank you for accepting our invitation." Masamune said.

"Hey, no need sir." Vincent said, as he and Hikoichi sat in front of him. "I still owe you all a lot for letting me live in this area."

"You have to thank Vinzer for that." Masamune said. "By the way, do you have an intention of leaving sometime soon?"

"Well, I never gave it too much thought at the moment, but I need to look for the other who were also brought here." Vincent replied. "I really don't know how to get back, but I need to find a way. I think if I can find a way back to Bastok I can find some answers there."

"I would be lying if I say I'm not impressed by your will, Vincent." Masamune said, closing his eyes and smiling. "Anyway, I asked you to come here because I need you to give something to Vinzer."

"To Praeter Vinzer?"

"I'm a bit too busy nowadays, so I can't give this to him personally. I have completed joining together the two parts of the Spiritstone more than four days ago. I don't know why they need it, though." Masamnue said as he handed Vincent a small bag. When he opened it, Vincent found a glittering stone, which shone light blue for a moment, and then to green, and then to yellow, to orange, to blood red, then to a dark shade of blue, and then to light blue again.

"That's the Spiritstone. If I remember right, it's a key to open certain seals found in Terra. According to the legend, this stone will open three seals, and beyond each seal is great power."

"Great power?" Hikoichi asked.

"I remember my father telling me about the powerful forces they used to defeat the Dark Lord `Chaos'." Masamune answered. "I think one is found somewhere in the Vana `diel continent, sealed in a tower in the middle of a magical forest. After sealing the three seals, the Ancients broke the Spiritstone in two, kept one here in Madan Sari, and gave the other to San D'oria."

"Hmm... could it be a weapon?" said.

"I don't know." Masamune shook his head. "Nobody knows what inside there, except for the Ancients. In fact, people believe it as a legend nowadays, since the said tower and the forest do not exist. "

"But the Spiritstone..."

"The Spiritstone has not been seen in Vana `diel for more than 350 years." Masamune said quietly. "I'd bet we are the only ones who totally believe its exisence. Anyway, enough about that. Shall we eat?"

========================================

"Well, I have to get going now..." Vincent said as he stood outside the gate of Masamune's abode. "Thank you for the meal."

"No problem, Vincent. Oh, and I forgot to give you this..." Masamune gave him a slender object that was wrapped in cloth, and seemed to be very light. "That is the weapon you had wanted me to make for you. Why don't you see if it fits you?"

Vincent removed the cloth to reveal a sheathed blade about three feet in length, and a quarter of a foot in width. Judging by the sheath, the blade was single-edged, with a handle similar to that of a katana. When he pulled it out of the sheath, he was amazed to see it was colored a pale gray, and along its width there was something written in a calligraphy he couldn't understand. He tested its swing, and it was unbelievably light.

"Sir, thank you..."

"Haha, I like you, kid. That's why did my best to give you a very good blade." Masamune said with pride. "I call it the Zanmato, the sword of hope."

"Sword of hope?" Vincent asked.

"`Zanmato' means `Demon Cutting Edge'. A blade used to slay evil." Masamune replied. "In its blade I have inscribed the words of Justice, Strength, Chivalry, and Purity. Those are said to be the traits of each of the Four Light Warriors."

"The Light Warriors?"

"There is a legend," Masamune said, "that one day, the Son of Terra, who is supposed to be the hope of the people, shall herald the return of the Dark Lord Chaos. The winds shall die, the sea shall rage, and the earth shall decay. But, the Son of Gaea, along with the Four Warriors of Light bearing the power of the Crystals, shall defeat Chaos once and for all, and shall renew Terra."

"And what are the Sons of Gaea and Terra?"

"When the Great Hyne created this world we live in, He created two worlds in one: The Gaea, which is the inner plane, and the Terra, which is the outer plane. We live here in Terra. The Gaea is sort of place where those who have passed away go to, but some say it's a world like Terra. After the creation, Hyne made a part of His power linger on humanity: the power of hope. It is said that in every generation, this power chooses a worthy being, and instills on them the strength to shape the world into a better future. The person who is blessed by Hyne's power is called the Son of Terra. Gaea shares the same power of hope, and they say that once the Son of Terra fails, the Son of Gaea will cross to this plane of existence together with the four Light Warriors, and fight Terra's battle."

"Wow, Grandfather knows a lot..." Hikoichi bumped in.

"I read a lot of books." Masamune said.

"But, why did you give me a blade that is supposed to represent hope? I'm not Terra' Son."

"I know you're not. But your eyes remind me of much hope. You are quite a strong young man, Vincent. I believe that the San D'oria might be invading Bastok and Windurst as we speak. I want you to be there and be a light for them. That sword shall help you in becoming that light."

"Well, I'd best be going. Thanks for the food, the tale, and the blade, Sir Masamune." Vincent said as he walked off. "And I'll see you in the morning Hikoichi."

"You betcha, Master!" Hikoichi and Masamune waved him goodbye.

"Zanmato..." Vincent said as he examined the blade while walking to Anne's home. The blade glistened in the moonlight, with the inscriptions flashing in a golden gleam.

/The Sword of Hope.../

/A masterpiece.../

He raised in up into the air and brought it down fiercely. A rock about his size that was in front of the direction he slashed was cleaved clean vertically. Vincent sheathed the blade and smiled.

/I like it./

Afterwards, he continued to walk and eventually reached the du Mont house, where he was greeted by Anne in high spirits.

"Hey, Anne. Guess what Sir Masamune gave me today."

===================================

"This is the Spiritstone... hmmm... such power..." Vinzer said as he fumbled with the rainbow-colored crystal. "Sir Masamune has indeed outdone himself this time."

"Kind of." Vincent said, as Anne as amusing herself with examining the Zanmato in the room adjoining the one they were on.

"Vincent, there is a favor I would like to ask you." Vinzer asked. "I have been contemplating about this for some time now, and have asked the Council of Ancients about it."

"Yes?"

"Vincent, Destiny blows a strange wind your way." Vinzer said. "But, `tis a good wind. With the unification of the Spiritstone, I am pretty sure the ones who invaded the Elvaan throne will most likely look for it here in Madan Sari. I would appreciate it... if you could take the Spiritstone, and journey to the mainland. `Tis not safe with us here. Should the foes attack, you should also save my dear daughter Adriane."

"I see..." Vincent said. "But, surely, you don't want any other to do it?"

"I have great faith in you, Vincent." Vinzer answered in a voice near to a whisper. "They will most likely come here t look for the power of the Ancients. War is coming once more, and it is not against the Beast Men. Palamecia will not rest until it gains much power. We have prepared a small boat filled with supplies in a small cove near. I pray you leave within this week, for the safety of all who live in Vana `diel."

"I... understand..." Vincent said. "But, does Anne know about this?"

"She knows and wishes for the day to come when I will have to send her to the mainland." Vinzer replied.

"Well, if that is the case..."

"Um, father, can I have a moment with Vincent?" Anne said. She had approached them and was carrying a small box of some sort.

"Yes. I will rest in my quarters. Vincent, Anne, do not stay up late. You will have a big day tomorrow." Vinzer said as he left.

"Yeah? What do you need?"

"Here..." Anne gave hi the small box. "It's a gift from my friends."

Vincent nodded and opened the box. Inside was a shimmering red sphere. It looked like a...

"Dress Sphere..." Vincent said.

"Yup." Anne answered. "The girls thought you'd like a clean exchange of clothes before we travel, so they tailored one for you."

"So, when they were irking around me that time was..."

"To measure you, of course. We can't make you clothes without knowing your body size."

Vincent was silent.

"So? Go ahead and try it on!" Anne pressed him.

"Alright." Vincent sighed. "So, how does this work?"

"Simple! You just apply pressure to it until it starts to glow brighter, and then just let it float in front of you."

"If you say so..." Vincent said. He squeezed the sphere in his hand. The red glow began to intensify. When he released it from his grip, the sphere floated in front of him at chest level, and in a flash, it melted into light flashes which engulfed him. At once, he felt his clothes leaving his body for some reason, and felt the air around him becoming a bit heavy. The air soon began to wrap around his body, and when he looked at his arms, he saw some material forming around them.

When the light dissipated, he found himself wearing a new set of clothes. It was a black shirt inside, which was hidden by a red turtlenecked overcoat that stretched down to his ankles and was held at the waist by a leather belt, and which partially concealed his black trousers. He was wearing a set of black leather gloves, and his feet encased in boots made of some tough material.

"A... Amazing..." Vincent gasped, examining the garments.

"Tee-hee, I'm happy you like them." Anne said. "Took us a good week to finish that ensemble off, which we copied off a page of the journal I picked up at one of the sunken ships."

"Heh, you guys shouldn't have bothered." Vincent said. "So, how do I take this thing off?"

"Simple! You just think of it being taken off your body and it'll eventually disappear." Anne said. "Just think of the clothes you were wearing a while ago!"

"If you say so..." Vincent closed his eyes and thought of what he was wearing before: a white shirt torn at the sleeves, along with a pair of light blue slacks and some sandals.

As he was thinking, he felt the same light feeling, as if his clothes were melting away. Soon enough, when he had opened his eyes, he found himself wearing his normal clothes, and the red sphere hovering in front of him at chest's level.

"Hmm... a Dress Sphere..." Vincent said, taking the small red sphere into his right hand. "Thanks for this gift."

"Hey, don't mention it!" Anne cheered up. "Okay, we should get some sleep. Anyway, when will we leave?"

"Tomorrow." Vincent answered.

"Tomorrow? But isn't that a bit to soon?"

"The more we stay, the more we put your people in jeopardy." Vincent answered. "Stay if you wish, but I'll have to go."

"Then, I guess I'll have to bid farewell..." Anne said. "I shall see you in the morning, Vincent."

And with that, she left in complete silence.

Vincnet followed suit, proceeding to his room. There, he set Zanmato and the Dress Sphere on his bedside table, and fell asleep shortly...

=============================

Which was shortly stopped by a rattling explosion.

Vincent jumped up to his feet, and glanced through the window. There he saw red. Fire in each corner, and screams of women and children filled the air.

"What the...?!" Vincent was cut short when his door burst open, and Vinzer appeared, dressed in robes, having the look of both alert and fear in his face.

"Lord Vinzer, what happened?" Vincent asked.

"They've come for the Spiritstone..." Vinzer replied. "The San D'orian fleet, which is under the command of Golbez..."

"No..."

"Vincent, we must flee. I shall lead you to the cove where the boat is docked. Take my daughter and Sir Masamune's son with you."

"What about..."

"We will draw their attention. Here, take the Spiritstone with you..." Vinzer handed him a small glittering gem.

"But, you might die... The Elvaan force..."

"I am fully aware of that." Vinzer replied. "But, it's important that they don't get their hands on the Spiritstone. If they do, then nothing can stop them. Vincent, promise me that you will find the seals of the Spiritstone, unlock the power and use it to defeat both Palamecia and San D'oria."

"Y-yes..."

"Enough words..." Vinzer said. "Come, let us flee!"

After grabbing his Dress Sphere and fastening Zanmato under his belt, Vinzer and Vincent disappear in the shadows.

===============================

"Father..." Anne sobbed as she hugged Vinzer.

"Weep not for me, my daughter..." Vinzer said as he held on to Anne. "You must be strong. After this, you must help Vincent search for the seals. Do it for Terra..."

"Hikochi, you are a man now." Masamune told his grandson. "Protect Lady Adriane with this sword." He handed him a blade wrapped in cloth. "It was your father's. He would be very pleased in the plains of the afterlife knowing that his son will use his beloved sword to protect."

"Y-Yes, grandfather, I will not fail!" Hikoichi said with determination, trying his best to hold back the tears.

"Vincent, everything rests on you. Please do not fail us." Vinzer said. "We will hold them back, so please try to leave now."

The boat was a small yacht, which had small area which provided some shelter. There was also a storage area where there was supplies enough for a few weeks.

"Yes..." Vincent looked on, and as Vinzer and Masamune left the boat, he began to set the sails and fins to move.

Vincent, Anne and Hikoichi looked on sadly as the island of Madan Sari lit up that night in a gigantic fireball. High above them was a fleet of airships, with the Dreadnought looming in the lead. In the background, they could hear the screams of dying people, the clash and firing of weapons, and the crackling of magic.

Anne fell to her knees as she sobbed miserably, and Hikoichi was failing in comforting her.

Vincent's heart was filled with fire. In his hand he gripped the Spiritstone, and clenched his other fist.

"GOLBEZ, BY MY HAND AND MY BLADE, ZANMATO, YOU SHALL DIE!!!"

==============================

Thunder.

Rain.

A Strong Wind.

A Storm at sea.

The wind and the waters tossed the boat asunder.

Vincent had asked Anne and Hikoichi to stay inside the sheltered part of the boat. He, on the other hand, had tried to keep the boat intact. The main mast had broken, and the fins were also torn.

"Damn, at this point, we'll never reach the mainland." Vincent thought out loud as he moved around the ship frantically to minimize the damage. But, to no avail. It was a battle that was to be lost.

"Master Vincent! Master Vincent!" Hikoichi was running on the slippery deck to help Vincent.

"Hikoichi, no! Stay inside with Anne!" Vincent shouted, but it was too late.

The strong winds rocked the ship, and Hikoichi was knocked down. The water raged, and in one sweep, it threw Hikoichi out of the ship and into the raging sea.

"Master, HELP!!!" Hikoichi cried out to him. The sea was separating them further apart, and he knew there was nothing he could do...

"MASTER!!! HELP ME!!!" Hikoichi cried again. However, another large wave came up, and he disappeared behind it.

"HIKOICHI!!!" Vincent cried. He was gone.

"NO!!!" He heard Anne cry out.

But, he had no time to weep.

Another wave came, bigger than the last one.

And it enveloped him, Anne and the boat in a watery tomb.

/NO! Not this again.../

He felt the massive volumes of water swirl around him, and the embrace suffocating him.

He didn't bother looking for Anne.

He was too weak to.

This time, he will be not so lucky.

He closed his eyes, and waited for Death's Kiss.

/Forgive me, Lord Vinzer, Sir Masamune.../

/It seems I wasn't the hope.../

=========================

"Mmmmmm..." Vincent heard himself groan.

He was staring at a wooden ceiling.

"I'm... alive?"

"Oh, Vincent! You're awake!"

Vincent knew that voice he looked around until his eyes focused on the source of the voice.

"Sarah?"

====================

Well, there you go...

Sorry if it is written in a very jumbled and fast pace. I just wanted to end thses events as soon as possible.

Anyway, thank you for reading....