Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 1 - Cloud Strife's Dreams and Tifa Lockheart's Love ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Don't own it so don't sue me.

Author's Note - Sorry if you are confused about the poem…..It just sort of sets up the story. I bet you can guess who the `speaker' is. Hehe. Reviews!

Chapter 1 - Cloud Strife's Dreams and Tifa Lockheart's Love

The rain beat like drums upon his head, plastering his blond hair to his face. He blinked through the raindrops as he ran, his heart pounding in his chest. Terror seized him and he ran faster into the woods. He remembered these woods. The sleeping forest. He'd passed through here just before -

"No!" he screamed, his legs pumping. A flash of pink suddenly stopped him dead in his tracks. A familiar figure stood before him.

"Cloud," the woman whispered delicately, stepping towards him.

"Aeris…" he started, unable to find words; the words he'd never been able to say.

A smile crossed Aeris' lips as she moved still closer. She silently reached for him with an outstretched arm and took his hand in hers. Before Cloud could say a word, she had pulled Cloud to her violently with incredible strength, pressing herself against him and claiming his mouth with her lips.

Cloud's eyes widened in surprise and he broke free from her grasp, stumbling backwards. With a look of disbelief, he looked up at his old friend.

Aeris laughed. Her voice was somehow unfamiliar and unwelcoming and Cloud watched her with a suspicious gaze. She tilted her head to one side. "What's wrong Cloud? Don't you miss me?"

Forgetting his suspicions, Cloud nodded frantically. "Of course! I'm so sorry! I tried to help you -"

"I'm here," she cut in, walking towards him again.

"No!" Cloud shouted, stepping away from her like a cowering puppy. "You're dead! I watched you die!"

Aeris laughed again. "Come back to me," she sang in her musical voice, clear as a silver bell. She watched him, sensing his nervousness, and giggled softly. Cloud watched her, ignoring the rain that soaked him but didn't seem to touch her. "What's wrong, Cloud?" she repeated, this time with an edge to her voice. "Didn't you use to love me?"

She was toying with him, and he knew it. This wasn't like Aeris at all. Cloud turned and sprinted back the way he came. The rain fell harder and he pumped his legs furiously. Just then he noticed that he hadn't moved and inch. A heavy, yet feminine, hand grasped his shoulder and spun him around. He found himself face to face with Jenova, the Jenova he'd seen in the reactor in Nibelheim with Sephiroth so long ago: that blue face, that cold stare.

Jenova laughed. "Miss me?"

All Cloud could do was scream.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Cloud cried out in his sleep before he suddenly sat upright in bed. He was breathing hard, a cold sweat still beading on his forehead and glistening on his muscles. The sheets rustled as a comforting had fell on his back.

"Cloud?" he heard his love whisper. "Are you okay?"

Cloud leaned back and turned on his side. He forced himself to smile. "Yes, Tifa. I'm fine. Just a bad dream."

Tifa gazed into his eyes. "About what?" she asked with genuine concern.

Cloud shook his head. "Nothing important. It's really silly."

Tifa smiled, reaching forward with her left hand and sliding her finger across the side of his face, gently brushing his blond spiky hair out of his eyes. Cloud caught a glimpse of that sparkling diamond on her finger and grinned.

He'd proposed a month ago. Nearly three years had passed since they'd helped destroy Meteor and Cloud and Tifa had returned to Kalm together. Unable to be apart from her, Cloud had finally proposed. Cloud chuckled as he remembered how nervous he had been. Tifa had accepted, as Cloud had hoped, and they were to be married in four months.

Cloud gazed into Tifa's deep brown eyes as he leaned forward to kiss her forehead. "I love you," he whispered gently to her, tucking a section of her hair behind her ear.

Tifa smiled as Cloud lay back down and began drifting back to sleep. "I love you too."

Tifa watched him as he fell deeper into sleep, but a deep worry refused to let her relax. Since a few weeks ago, these dreams had become more frequent, and Cloud had woken up in the night. Tifa had woken too, every time, although Cloud didn't know. He'd tired to hide it, but Tifa knew better.

Cloud often talked in his sleep, and Tifa had a pretty good idea what Cloud's nightmares were about. They were about Aeris.

Tifa continued to watch Cloud with tearful eyes. She knew that Cloud loved her, but more and more often she awoke to hear his voice calling out Aeris' name. It was as if her death had scarred him, and he couldn't get over her. Tifa closed her eyes, allowing the salty tears to slide down her cheeks. ~ Did he love her? ~ She thought sadly to herself. ~And if he did, will her memory keep him from loving me?~

Just then, as if to answer her thoughts, she felt his hand slip into hers and tighten in a comforting hold. Tifa lay perfectly still, staring at his face. Then, sure he was still asleep, Tifa held his hand tight and slowly drifted back into slumber.

* * * * * *

"Good morning sunshine!"

Tifa moaned softly, her eyes slowly opening. Bright light invaded, and she squinted. Cloud stood beside the bed, awake and dressed, a smile lighting up his face.

"Morning Cloud," Tifa said with a tired grin.

"I felt bad about waking you last night, so I thought I'd surprise you."

Tifa raised a brow. "Oh really?" she teased.

Cloud nodded before bending down to pick something up off of the floor. Tifa sat up and Cloud picked up a silver tray and played it in her lap.

Tifa laughed. "Chocolate-chip pancakes!"

Cloud nodded. "Your favorite." He leaned forward and kissed her lightly before sitting next to her.

Tifa chuckled, picking up a fork. "You're so good to me," she said, cutting the pancake and stabbing it with her fork.

Cloud shrugged. "I try."