Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 6 - The Stirrings of Trouble ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: <sigh> I don't own it.

Author's Note: Hooray! The fun begins! Reviews please!

Chapter 6 - The Stirrings of Trouble

Four days had past since Vincent's first glimpse of who he thought was Sephiroth. Since then, Vincent had kept a watchful eye, waiting to see what he would do. Now, Vincent was peeking around the corner of the inn, watching as the black-caped man walked down the street, long silver hair flowing behind him.

Keeping his distance, his hand griped his gun, the Death Penalty, at his waist. He followed him down the road and watched as the man walked silently towards the ShinRa Mansion. Vincent nodded. ~ Perfect place for me to approach him ~ he thought. ~ If things go bad, no civilians will be watching. ~

Silently, Vincent followed, entering the mansion long after `Sephiroth' had closed the door. As Vincent slowly closed the door behind him, he heard the familiar sound of someone sliding back the stone entrance to the hidden stairway upstairs. Swiftly, Vincent raced up the stairs with incredibly light feet and saw the man walk through the hidden stone doorway and head down the wooden spiral staircase.

Remembering Cloud's story of his past, fear griped Vincent as he headed down the stairs. He remembered Cloud's story clearly, and although a few people had been confused and switched, what Sephiroth had done never changed. And this was the same place it all had started. Still, Vincent was determined to find out what this man wanted, and he continues, his heart thumping hard and high in his throat.

Vincent followed him down the dark, damp, basement corridor and watched silently as he approached Hojo's old laboratory and library. Vincent pulled the Death Penalty out and griped it tight, sliding cautiously to the door.

Through the slit of the doorframe, Vincent saw the man searching the shelves, unaware that Vincent was there. Quietly, Vincent eased the door open and slipped into the room, placing the barrel of the gun just behind his neck.

"Don't move," he said, holding his hand steady. The man hesitated, his back to Vincent. "Turn around slowly."

The man did. Or actually, Sephiroth did. There was no mistaking him now, and Vincent swallowed hard. Sephiroth had an incredibly blank expression on his face and he stared at Vincent with his shining Mako green eyes.

"What are you doing here?!" Vincent demanded, narrowing his blood red eyes at him.

"I'm looking for information," Sephiroth said coldly.

"About what?"

"Jenova."

"Jenova?" Vincent was surprised. "Jenova is dead. What do you need information about her for?"

"Jenova is alive."

"Excuse me?!"

Sephiroth frowned, his eyes glittering in the darkness, finally revealing emotion: hate and anger. "Jenova is alive, and she wants revenge."

Vincent narrowed his eyes at him. "And I suppose she's brought you back from the dead to do her dirty work," he snapped, seething fury.

Calm returned to Sephiroth's face, humanity present in his eyes that Vincent had never seen there before.

"Think about that for a moment. That idea is ridiculous. If I were working for Jenova, why would I be looking for information about her? I could ask her myself."

"Then what is it you want?!"

Sephiroth paused, his black cape about him like a shadow. "I am here to stop her."

Vincent's frown deepened. "Am I really supposed to believe that?"

Sephiroth shrugged. "What you believe is not up to me."

Vincent took a step back, confused by his answer. He held the gun steady, aimed at Sephiroth's head. "Explain yourself now. I want every detail." Vincent's eyes narrowed to blood red slits. "And remember not to give me a reason to kill you."

"The reason you don't understand or believe me is because you were never tainted by Hojo."

"Never tainted by Hojo!" Vincent shrieked in rage. "I was destroyed by him. He ruined me and everyone I cared about! You can't eve begin to tell me that you feel what I have been through and lost!"

"But I have been through everything you have," Sephiroth said coolly. "Pain, suffering, torture," he said. "Even love." Sephiroth gazed at Vincent, his eyes softer than Vincent thought was possible. "But unlike myself, you were not manipulated the way I was. You were not manipulated to destroy the ones you loved with your own hands. Before I was even born that man cursed me. Injected with Jenova's cells by a man who willed me to call him father and allowed a monster to control me from the inside-out."

Vincent stood speechless, his outstretched hand holding the gun loosely now.

"You were never injected with those cells," Sephiroth explained. "Although they currently lay dormant, Jenova is stirring, attempting to regain control of the clones she lost those three years ago. Cloud should know what I speak of."

"What about you?!" Vincent stammered. "How can you resist her power now if you couldn't before?"

"Although her wretched cells must remain within me to allow me to survive, because they are a part of me, the Ancient Cetra within the lifestream have cleansed my body, removing Jenova's grip on them. Those cells are no longer hers to control. Death was perhaps the best thing that ever happened to me." Sephiroth looked up at Vincent, and took hold of the gun, lowering it to Vincent's side. "You must let me help you."

Something was different about him, Vincent was sure of it, but he couldn't decide alone. He thought for a moment before realizing what he needed to do. "I'm going to call Cloud."

Sephiroth nodded. "Good. Make sure he comes here. I must thank him for setting me free."

* * * * *

Pulling the material of her skirt closed about her legs, she looked up through the trees at the clear blue sky. Her mother slept peacefully beside the cool pond and she smiled happily. Restoration was almost complete and she sensed the aura of her objective quite near. Bending down, her thin fingers grasped the long metal staff, it's top-end brilliantly decorated in multicolored steel adornments meant for causing destruction. She brought the Princess Guard close to her side and closed her eyes.

~ Patience my darling, ~ she heard. ~ I hear your wishes. You will get them soon. ~

She nodded, smiling again before her lips parted and maniacal laughter poured like water from her mouth.

Their first stop would be Nibelheim.

Author's Note: So what do you think? Let me know! Reviews please!