Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 7 - Old Rival's Meet ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Not mine, well, the story is mine, the characters are not. They belong to Squaresoft. Don't sue me for trying to be creative.

Author's Note: Well, I'm home sick again, so I should get another couple chapters out today. Let me know what you think and if I screw anything up, don't be afraid to let me know. That's what this is all about anyway. Enjoy and don't forget to review.

Chapter Seven - Old Rival's Meet

Cloud was just about to sit down for dinner when the phone rang. Tifa laid the pot she held on the table and rushed to answer it.

"Hello?"

Cloud glanced over at Tifa, who held the receiver to her ear. An odd expression came over her face before she lowered the phone and looked over at Cloud.

"It's for you, Cloud. It's Vincent, and he says he must speak with you immediately. I didn't like the tone of his voice."

Cloud nodded and walked over to her, quickly taking the phone from her.

"What's up Vincent?"

"Cloud? There's someone here who wished to speak with you…" Vincent paused strangely, and Cloud was instantly suspicious.

"Go ahead," Cloud said.

Cloud heard some shuffling as the phone on the other end was passed. Then, a voice clear and unmistakable reached his ears.

"Hello Cloud," the voice said. "It's been awhile."

Cloud's eyes widened in shock and the phone slipped from his grasp, falling to the floor with a clatter.

"Oh, my…God," was all Cloud could stammer for quite some time.

* * * * * * *

Sephiroth hung up the phone with a soft click before sweeping around to face Vincent.

"He's coming."

"I'd imagine so."

With those words, the two men were silent, and did little speaking until Cloud arrived on his gold chocobo, Stratus, two days later.

Dismounting the golden feathered bird, Cloud fled him to a light pole before heading to the inn. The small town, having been perfectly restored down to every last detail, still held haunting memories that made Cloud's blood freeze. It was here that he had sent Sephiroth to his first of two deaths. He hoped today would hold no bloodshed, especially in his own hometown.

Cloud had left Tifa in Kalm, not wanting to risk her safety. She'd been told that Vincent was in need of some help finding Lucrecia, and Tifa had no reason not to believe him. Cloud hated to lie to her, but he knew that she would refuse to let him go alone if she knew that real reason he was leaving, and that would worsen the situation.

Cloud spotted Vincent easily. He was standing next to the inn door. His eyes were marred with worry, yet still glowing their usual blood red. Cloud approached him.

"Cloud, I…" Vincent began.

"Don't," Cloud interrupted. "I understand. But I can't promise I won't kill him."

Vincent nodded slowly in understanding. "Just hear him out first. There are too many things that he says that make sense."

Cloud sighed. "I'll try. Where is he?"

Vincent glanced over to his left. Following his eyes, Cloud realized he was looking directly at the ShinRa Mansion. "He's in the basement," he replied softly. "I trust you remember where the hidden entrance is."

A wave of fear ripped through him like a shard of glass. Cloud swallowed hard, nodding, and walked down the street, his hand already prematurely on the hilt of his sword, Ultima Weapon.

The walk to the abandoned mansion was a short one, and Cloud's heartbeat picked up tempo the whole way. Finally reaching it, Cloud opened the large oak doors and walking inside. Vincent followed, allowing the doors to shut with a screech and a slam behind him.

Already knowing the way from previous experience, Cloud went up the main staircase and headed to the right wing of the mansion and into the last guestroom down the right hallway. The hidden rock door in the back corner had already been slid over, revealing the blackened entrance to the basement. Cloud stepped through the doorway and onto the top of the wooden spiral staircase that brought memories back that sent shivers down his spine. Before Cloud realized what he was doing, he was already at the bottom of the staircase, staring down the damp, dark hallway that led to Hojo's old study. The study door was slightly ajar, and a sliver of light slid onto the floor like a path. Cloud approached the door and slowly opened it, the hinges only creaking softly as his heart beat hard and high in his chest.

His hand tightened on his sword hilt as he slid into the room and Vincent walked up beside him. He had no choice but to believe his friend now, even though he'd tried so hard not to. Sephiroth stood beside a bookcase nearby, holding one of Hojo's old books gingerly in his hands. As he heard Cloud walk in, he lifted his head, watching him with glowing green eyes that matched Cloud's own green stare. The Mako that made Sephiroth a member of SOLDIER all those years ago had been used simply to keep Cloud alive, but their eyes had the same side effect: a glowing green color that would never fade.

Sephiroth smiled, closing the book carefully and placing it back on the shelf.

"I'm surprised you came," Sephiroth said.

Cloud frowned. "Really? I was going to say the same thing to you."

Sephiroth chuckled. "I guess I know what you mean. I wasn't expecting this to happen either. In fact, this was the last place I thought I'd ever set foot in again."

"You shouldn't be setting foot anywhere," Cloud growled. "So exactly who thought it would be a keen idea to send you back from the depths of hell?"

Sephiroth frowned. "I don't appreciate that comment," he said seriously.

"I didn't appreciate being run through," Cloud sneered, "but that never seemed to stop you."

"Stop it!" Vincent yelled. "Neither of you are helping the situation at all." He glared a red gaze at Cloud. "Especially you."

"What?!" Cloud almost screamed. "You're on his side now!?"

Vincent pursed his lips. "I just want you to listen to what he has to say."

"I've heard more crap from him than anyone should have to hear in a lifetime," Cloud spat, drawing his sword. He spun and held Ultima Weapon close to Sephiroth, ready to slit his throat in an instant.

"Cloud, stop it!" Vincent shouted. "There is no need to shed blood here!"

"Vincent, don't even try to tell me he deserves to live," Cloud shouted back, his voice clogged and wavering with emotion. "He killed so many people! My mother, Tifa's father," he said, swallowing back pain and tears. "He even killed Aeris."

Sephiroth's face tumbled at the sound of her name. He looked down at Cloud, aware of the blade that stood inches from his neck. "Cloud, I'm not going to fight you," he said softly. He was faintly aware that a tear had fallen across his cheek. "What I've done, I will always regret. If you believe I should die again for it, I won't try to stop you." Sephiroth watched as Cloud looked at him, his anger turning to confusion and amazement. "But you must know that I was being manipulated the way you were," he said. The softly, he added, "You almost killed her too."

Cloud couldn't deny it. He had almost raised his sword again her in the Ancient Capital. "But you were controlling me," Cloud managed to say.

"And Jenova was controlling me," he replied. "But not anymore."

Cloud sighed and lowered his weapon to his side and took a step back, keeping a tight grip on the handle. He stared into Sephiroth's eyes, searching for answers.

"You have nightmares, don't you Cloud," Sephiroth said suddenly. If he hadn't been watching Cloud so carefully, he wouldn't have noticed him widen his eyes in surprise very slightly. "You must feel her."

Cloud swallowed hard. "So what if I have?" he said, not sounding very confident.

"When did they start?" Sephiroth asked, looking very serious.

"A few weeks ago," Cloud replied, feeling like he was in a doctor's office. The old laboratory surroundings didn't help at all.

Sephiroth glanced over at Vincent. "This could be worse than I thought," he murmured, mostly to himself. He looked over at Cloud again. "What are they about?"

"Well, Jenova sometimes," Cloud admitted, "but they're usually about Aeris."

Pain lanced through Sephiroth again, but he didn't show it. "Aeris? Why Aeris?"

Cloud shrugged. "I couldn't protect her." He resisted to add `from you.'

"Cloud, Jenova has been calling to you, like she once did," Sephiroth explained. "Her cells are still alive inside of you, and have been since…well…the incident."

Cloud cringed. After being nearly killed at the reactor by Sephiroth himself, Hojo had infused him with Mako and injected Jenova cell into his body, making him what Hojo like to call a `Sephiroth Clone.' "How come she isn't controlling you?"

"Cloud, I died that day in the Northern Crater for the 2nd time. When we fought, Jenova was still alive, gripping my mind, forcing me to fight and hold back Holy. After I died, she seemed to disappear from sight, and her scattered cells went dormant. I returned to the lifestream, but I was not at peace for long. The Ancient Cetra found me, and cleansed me of Jenova's hold. Her cells are still within me, for I can not live without them, but she can never access them the way she used to be able to. My fear is that she will find another new toy to play with when she finds out that I am unavailable to her."

As if on cue, a scream ripped through the air, and it came from outside. Cloud looked around in surprise and turned to leave when he suddenly fell to his knees, gripping his skull.

"Are you okay, Cloud!?" Vincent yelled, kneeling beside him.

Cloud was gritting his teeth in pain, a woman's voice piercing through his head.

~ Come to me, my child. ~

"Oh, God," Cloud managed to say. "She's here." In anger, he snapped his head around, glaring at Sephiroth, who looked genuinely surprised. "You tricked me into come here!" he screamed, seething fury.

"No!" Sephiroth shouted. "This is too soon! We have to stop her!" The commotion grew louder outside, and Sephiroth reached into his cape, pulling out Masamune, his four-foot long sword. "Cloud, be strong. We must stop her! Vincent, you must help too."

Vincent looked over at him. "We don't have any materia."

Sephiroth held up his sword, showing them the handle. Six orbs were locked in place: five green, one an ominous red.

"Fire, bolt, ice, restore, and barrier. All mastered," Sephiroth stated.

Vincent nodded his approval, removing his gun from his coat. "What's the red one?"

"My secret weapon."

Vincent shrugged, helping Cloud to his feet. Sephiroth ran ahead, his cape and long silver hair blowing behind him. Vincent and Cloud followed as quickly as they could, heading up into the guestroom, down into the Grand Hall, and outside where they were met with screaming and flames.

Author's Note: Well isn't this a wonderful place to stop. LOL Don't hurt me! This chapter is long enough. It's over five pages typed, so I had to stop it somewhere. Let me know how you like it. Is Vincent too OOC?? I think he might be, he gets worse later, but it's hard to tell what his personality is because he doesn't talk much during the game, so I kinda had to make it up as I went along. Don't forget to review!!!