Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 12 - Evil Approaches ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: The characters ain't mine! Squaresoft has all claims to them.

Author's Note: Hm…..can't think of anything worth putting here. Oh, well. Read and enjoy! Review as usual!

Chapter Twelve - Evil Approaches

Sephiroth sat almost motionless, a billion thoughts flying through his head. He could still feel her gaze on his face. He knew she had not been totally mentally aware, but there still had been no trace of fear in her eyes and it puzzled him. She also found it hard to believe she was alive, but that was understandable. On top of that, she had no memory of the incident in Nibelheim, which pleased him. Although he would eventually have to tell her about the event, he didn't want her to have the memories that plagued him.

When Aeris awoke again, she seemed much more like herself. He suspected that Jenova's trace had left her body, and he was thankful. He hoped this wasn't temporary.

"Sephiroth, what is troubling you," Aeris asked.

Sephiroth sighed. "You couldn't possibly understand what this is like for me right now."

Aeris grinned. "Try me."

"If you remember everything that happened before I…you know…how can you be near me without a trace of…"

"Fear?"

Sephiroth nodded.

"I have no reason to fear you. I haven't for over two years. Don't you remember?"

Sephiroth raised a brow. "Remember what?"

Aeris' face seem to fall 100 feet. "Nevermind." She sighed softly before shaking herself off and smiling again. "Don't worry. I know about everything. It wasn't your fault."

Sephiroth's spirit lifted. Finally, someone believed the truth. Now, he could protect Aeris and fight Jenova. Aeris only needed more time to heal. Still, he felt there was more he should know.

"Do you remember what happened to you when you died?" Aeris asked gently.

"No," Sephiroth said, shaking his head. "I remember very little of the lifestream."

"What do you remember?"

"I remember a meeting with the Ancient Cetra. I didn't know why they had summoned me or how I had gotten there. I don't even remember most of what they said. It was like a dream that I moved in and out of."

Aeris nodded. "I know that feeling. After I died, I felt as if I had not yet completed what I had set out to do. I had told Cloud that I would `handle Sephiroth,' and I didn't think he, or you, quite understood what I meant. I still believe they think that the only reason I went to the Ancient Capital was to summon Holy."

"But, why else were you there, then?"

Aeris giggled. "I went to be sent back to the lifestream. I purposely ran into your trap so that I would die."

Sephiroth's eyes widened in shock. "But why?"

"I knew you would keep Holy from moving because I knew of Jenova's power and her hold on you. Jenova knew a lot more than she told you. I also knew that she couldn't directly fight Cloud and his friends. Therefore, when Cloud broke free from her spell, she knew you would lose. I gave up my life, trusting that Cloud would find himself and that I could indirectly aid him when the time was right.

"If Holy wasn't enough to halt Meteor, the planet was going to get involved. I simply guided it. I sent the lifestream out onto the surface and fed the power into Holy to strengthen it and defeat Meteor. With my last effort, I attempted to shield the Highwind, which carried Cloud and his friends, as Meteor exploded.

"I did not know if it had been enough. I waited in the lifestream, my will keeping me from eternal death as Aeris, until I heard if I had saved them.

"Time passed, and many things happened, but there was no news. Not long after, I began to see visions of Cloud, but he was always frightened by me and was always running away. After that, I have very little memory of what happened to me."

Sephiroth was speechless.

Aeris smiled. "What's wrong?"

"I was used," Sephiroth said slowly. "I'm useless."

"No you're not."

"You said Jenova knew I would lose to Cloud!"

"Sephiroth, you were being controlled. You were dead then. When she ran away, she took her power with her. You were going to die whether or not Cloud defeated you. She gave you that weakness."

Sephiroth sighed and dropped his eyes to the floor.

"You really don't remember anything, do you?"

Sephiroth shook his head. "I remember only fear and death under Jenova after Cloud killed me at the Nibelheim Mako Reactor. I remember my second death and my journey to Nibelheim after being brought back to life by the Cetra."

"Nothing in between?"

Sephiroth shook his head. "Nothing."

Aeris had to turn her face away to hide the tears that quickly filled her eyes.

* * * * * *

Cloud glanced up at the stardust sky and smiled, Ultima Weapon clenched tightly in his fist at his side. It glowed with a strange light that illuminated his skin and cast an eerie glow around him.

"Aeris," he called softly. "I am ready."

Jenova, disguised in Aeris' form, walked up beside him. "Yes, my dear. You are ready."

"What shall I do for you, love?"

"You shall track down a man named Sephiroth and a woman who look just like me. She is an impostor. Kill the man and dispose of him. Bring the impostor back to me."

"Sephiroth," Cloud spat. "That murderer. He ruined my life. He took you from me once, but I will protect you this time."

"Yes, my dear," Jenova cooed. "Now go, and do my bidding."

Jenova materialized a golden chocobo out of thin air, then watched as Cloud mounted and sprinted away.

Jenova laughed. "Yes, my child. Go kill my Sephiroth. Your blind hatred for him is what keeps you bound to me." Jenova laughed again as she turned and slinked back into the shadows of the Ancient City to wait for Cloud to return.

Author's Note: Sorry, I'm a sucker for cliffhangers. They really are the only good way that I can end my chapters. Smile and be happy and don't forget to review!