Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 14 - Sacrifices ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Once again, I do not own these characters, I just use them until they get very upset and accuse me of an abusive relationship. Ah, the life of a woman is wonderful. This way, I can oogle Sephiroth all I want. ::chuckles::

Author's Note: um…one question Tori. What does XD and xp mean? I don't quite understand. Perhaps it is a term that fanfiction writers use that I don't know yet cuz im a newbie??? <sigh> oh well, read and review as usual. Tori, I think you will like this chapter…but then again, maybe you won't… ::grins slyly::

Chapter 14 - Sacrifices

The sky burned in hues of orange and red as the sun slowly began to set. Sephiroth glanced over at Aeris, who seemed entranced by the fire-filled sky. Her eyes seemed to dance in the approaching dusk and he smiled as she turned to look at him.

Although bright in the light of the sun's fading glow, Aeris' eyes still held an obvious sadness. Sephiroth longed to ease whatever pain she felt, but he'd been unable to ask her what was wrong.

When the sun disappeared behind the horizon, and the deep purple of twilight made it difficult to see, Aeris followed Sephiroth back to their small apartment to rest.

Sephiroth closed the door behind him and groped for the light switch. He found it quickly, and the lights came on, illuminating the front entry hall and the kitchen.

"Ah good, you're finally back," came a distinct voice.

Aeris, who had just come inside behind Sephiroth, gasped. "Cloud!?"

Cloud appeared in the hallway, a grin look playing his face. His muscles were taut, his sword gripped tightly in front of his body.

"Cloud! What are you doing here!?" Sephiroth exclaimed. He drew his Masamune as a safety precaution, moving Aeris behind him. "Aeris!" he whispered sharply. "Open the door!"

"Why?"

"Just do it!"

Aeris slowly slid her hand behind her back and rested her hand on the doorknob.

Cloud was chuckling. "Why, I've come to play! My old dear friend wishes a great deal of revenge on you, Sephiroth. You see, you killed her, and now she wants YOU to die!"

Sephiroth frowned. "And who is this dear friend of your that twists your thoughts so!? Are you obeying Jenova, Cloud!?"

"Only you have every obeyed Jenova. Aeris returned to ME! And she sent me to kill you and bring the spineless bitch impostor back to her!"

"Cloud! This is Aeris. She doesn't want you to hurt me!"

"She's a liar. Aeris is in the Ancient City where she belongs! It is her home! I'm killing you and taking the impostor with me!!!"

"Aeris, NOW!" Sephiroth yelled. Aeris flung the door open behind her and raced outside. Sephiroth followed and spun around in time to meet Ultima Weapon with the blade of Masamune. Cloud attacked with fury, sending blow after blow at Sephiroth's chest and throat, and he fought to find an opening. With quick movements, Sephiroth parried, but never had enough time to counter Cloud's flurry of attacks.

Aeris called upon her magic and quickly flung Wall spells on both of the warriors, which quickly set in and prevented any damage to either fighter.

Cloud cursed aloud, his face red with anger. "You protect us both, wench!?" he screamed. "I must finish this task! I must obey Aeris!" Cloud chuckled suddenly, grinning insanely at Aeris. "She never said I had to bring you back alive," he sneered. "People like you don't deserve to live. People like you and that bastard kill people and destroy the lives of those that still live!"

"Cloud," Aeris said sadly. "You are still Cloud in there, right? I understand what you are saying."

Cloud gave her a strange look, dropping his sword momentarily.

"Cloud, I am Aeris. That man, Sephiroth, did kill me, but you must understand that I wasn't his fault. And you must understand that what happened to him is now happening to you too. You must fight Jenova! We are not your enemy!"

Cloud shook his head and blinding light flashed across his eyes. His head pounded with agony. Raising his gaze against the pain, he looked up at Aeris blankly. "Aeris…help…me…"

"Yes, Cloud. Fight her. I'm here."

"Aeris…I…" Cloud stammered. "But…he killed you. How can…you trust…him?"

Aeris lowered her head. "Cloud, it is hard to explain…but let me try." She glanced back at Sephiroth. "I think you should hear this too."

* * * * * *

Jenova cursed aloud, and strained to hear the conversation through Cloud's ears.

"I'm here."

Jenova's fury increased. She was getting through to him, breaking her hold on his mind.

"It's hard to explain…but let me try…"

Jenova grumbled, fighting to keep her hold as Aeris spoke to Cloud.

"After you killed Sephiroth in the Northern Crater," she heard Aeris say, "Holy was released and, with my help, Meteor was destroyed. However, someone else was with me, aiding Holy in its quest. Sephiroth, who had returned to the lifestream, was helping me.

"After that, Sephiroth and I refused to be reborn again, and therefore, we never truly died." Jenova heard Aeris pause and she held her breath, waiting for the perfect moment. "You see, Cloud, Sephiroth and I didn't want to return."

"We fell in love."

Jenova felt Cloud's anger rise slightly. A lingering hate had suddenly resurfaced. With all her strength, Jenova found his weakness, and attacked it with all her might.

* * * * * *

Aeris held her breath, waiting for a response from either Cloud or Sephiroth. Cloud and Sephiroth simply stared at her, and she shifted uncomfortably as she looked up to watch the Wall spells flicker and wear off. She sighed sadly. "That's why, Cloud. Please understand."

"Aeris…" Sephiroth began. "I…"

"NOOOOO!" Cloud suddenly screamed, gripping his skull with his left hand. "Tarnished! Filthy! Corrupted!!" He screamed in painful agony, gripping his sword so tight his fingers paled white.
"DIE!"

He ran at her, sword up, his teeth clenched with fury. Aeris gasped and held her hands up. "Cloud! Stop!" she screamed. She shut her eyes tight, prepared to feel the touch of a cold blade through her chest again, ready to see her blood run as she died.

The feeling never came, but the sound of Ultima Weapon entering flesh still filled her ears.

"Ugh…"

Aeris opened her eyes in fear and saw Sephiroth blocking her, Cloud's weapon buried in his right breast. Aeris screamed as Cloud pulled his blade free and Sephiroth fell to his knees with a soft moan.

"Nooo!" she yelled, falling down beside him, pulling him to her frantically, Sephiroth's silver hair falling across her arm as she pulled his limp figure into her lap.

Above her, Cloud laughed, the bloody sword at his side.

"So I win again, Sephiroth," he murmured. "Good always wins over evil."

Tears ran from Aeris' eyes as Sephiroth's ruby blood stained her hands. His eyes were slightly open and he stared at her as she called his name.

"Aeris," he said quietly. "I didn't know. Why didn't you tell me?"

Salty tears streamed down her face. "You didn't remember. I thought maybe it was only a dream."

Cloud laughed again. "And now, the bitch will die!" he exclaimed, raising his sword over his head.

He paused as an inhuman shriek filled the night air.

Cloud spun around in time to see a huge flying beast tackle him to the ground. Cloud smacked his head hard against the ground and white light flashed through his head just before he passed out.

The winged Chaos beast snorted angrily and turned its body to look down at Aeris, who held Sephiroth against her body. She was still crying hysterically, and a strange golden aura had enfolded her body. It sparkled and shimmered around them. Chaos lumbered over to them, picked them up carefully with one huge claw and leaped into the air with flapping wings, leaving the unconscious body of Cloud lying in the grass.