Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VII : Atonement ❯ Chapter 27 - Liberation ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Author's Note : I honestly have nothing to say but enjoy the chapter and don't forget to keep those reviews coming! :o)

Chapter 27 - Liberation

Cloud was sprinting again, back into the blackness of his mind. All of his fear, reluctance, helplessness and frustration melted away in the sweat that beaded on his forehead and slid down his face. All he felt was fury; cold, relentless fury.

He tried to focus this anger, and he turned it into the energy that propelled him forward through the darkness. It pumped through hiss veins with incredible force and he could practically hear it rushing by his ears. He had to get out. He had to free himself.

And he didn't want any help.

He ran faster. His lungs screamed in pain, his legs ached from effort. Yet still he ran, into nothingness, hoping for release.

Instead, he hit a wall.

He ran, full-force, into Jenova's barrier once more, and he fell to the ground. Pain lanced through his body. He moaned, his muscles strained and sore. He couldn't get out. Jenova had him trapped like a caged rat.

~Those cells are not hers! You are my clone! They are my cells!~

Sephiroth's words came back to him. They seemed to float on the air like softly rolling waves sliding up onto the beach.

~Let go of you thoughts of revenge and let loose your hatred for me.~

How was he supposed to do that? Sephiroth had killed his mother and burned down his village.

~I can set you free, but you have to trust me!~

Perhaps it wasn't his fault. Maybe it was Jenova. Yes...she admitted it. This must be Jenova's fault.

~Your friends trust me, don't they? Give yourself to me, so I can let you go!~

Yes. He was ready. He was prepared for sacrifice. He was prepared for pain.. He was prepared to fight.

And finally, he was prepared to forgive the man who was once his hero.

He reached out his thoughts to Sephiroth, calling upon the man he would allow to be his master and decide his fate.

"Sephiroth!" he screamed as if to the heavens. "I forgive you! My mind and body are yours! I belong to you, not to Jenova! I will obey only you. The cells in my body can obey only you! My loyalty, strength, and trust are yours!"

A sound similar to that of breaking glass surrounded him before the darkness filled with light and a wave of torturous pain flashed through his body.

* * * * * * * * *

Sephiroth had to bring his Masamune to a sudden halt as Cloud's body faltered and failed to parry his attempted blow. Sentences of forgiveness flashed through his mind as fast as lightning and he immediately knew what had happened.

"Back off!" Sephiroth shouted suddenly to the others. Everyone jumped away from Cloud, who had fallen to his knees and dropped Ultimate Weapon to the ground. He had his fingers gripped against his skull, his knuckles turning white under their pressure. His face twisted in agony as he fought Jenova to gain control of his body. Sephiroth sheathed his sword and knelt beside Cloud.

"Fight her!" he shouted. "You are not hers! Don't let her take you!"

Cloud's body shuddered violently. "Help me!" his voice begged, the words forced from his mouth.

"Fight her! If you must have a command, here it is! Obey me! Take your body back from your invader!"

Cloud screamed and began to pound his fist repeatedly into the ground. His neck snapped up sharply then, Jenova's voice hissing from his lips. "He's mine...."

"My cells have claim to his mind and body," Sephiroth said. "He is no longer yours."

Jenova hissed as if in sudden pain and Cloud regained his voice in time to scream again.

"Cloud! Listen to me! You can fight her! For my sake, for Aeris, for Tifa, come back to us!"

Cloud didn't answer. Instead, he suddenly fell forward to his chest and lay still for a moment. There was silence, but Sephiroth was almost positive he could hear Jenova's curses in his mind.

Cloud stirred slowly, placing his palms to the ground to try and lift himself up. With a little help from Sephiroth, he managed to regain a sitting position. Tifa soon rushed to his side.

She called out his name in panic before looking at Sephiroth with worried eyes. Cloud's eyes were blank and placid, staring off into the distance.

"What's wrong?" she asked. "Is he okay?"

"Jenova's consciousness has fled his body and gone elsewhere; back to her own body, I suspect," he answered. "He's only exhausted from his inner battle with her."

"Then, is it over?"

Sephiroth shook his head. "I have to kill Jenova before she finds another tool to play with." Sephiroth glanced around. "Where's Aeris?"

His only reply was the shrugging of their shoulders. Sephiroth began to panic. Why would she leave the battlefield without telling him? Surely she wouldn't try to fight Jenova by herself?

Then it hit him.

"Oh, no..." he whispered. Then, without a word, he stood and sprinted toward the shell that led below to the Ancient Capital. He could only hope he wouldn't be too late.