Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Final Fantasy VIII Twin Force ❯ Dream yourself far away ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

FINAL FANTASY VIII PROJECT
 
TWIN FORCE
in story form
 
A/N Feels like I've been waiting for this moment forever, when finally the first chapter of this story is published. Twin Force was initially created in year 2006 in a script form and it's going to be a big one, imagine about 200 pages of dialogues or more written by hand, so it's going to take me some time to make it a story and transfer it to the computer. I promise I'll be as quick as possible, especially if I get some response for this, and I don't strictly mean reviews, though it would be good to know your opinion on this project.
It is set three years after the original game, so it works as a sequel.
I don't own Final Fantasy 8, only my OC named Gillian Thunderstone. Also, it's my very first story in the FFVIII section and the debut of her.
The main character is Squall, and most of the story will focus on him and his company who eventually reunite in this brand new adventure. Rinoa fans, I know you want to shoot me, but you have my word, I won't abuse her ''memory'' and include various flashbacks about her. As for pairings, it's Squall x OC for a while, but ONLY for a while, and after a certain period of time. I don't intend to use Gillian as a Mary Sue only because I had a crush on Squall when I first wrote this, otherwise I'd simply prefer to insert me inside straight away. And honestly, had my intentions been different, I wouldn't be telling you all this stuff right now. I just know how most of the readers are prejudiced and judgmental when it comes to OC's so I wanted to make my position clear. And yes, I'm a huge fan of OC s.
If you think it's ok with you, go ahead and read, I guarantee your reading satisfaction as well as your entertainment, since there's a long variety of genres to be used here, such as humour, action, mystery, supernatural and so on. All the elements that create a Final Fantasy story.
In this first chapter, Squall narrates the events that occurred after the defeat of Ultimecia, including what became of his fellow comprades, his thoughts about Laguna, and what he plans to do with his current life. It's an introduction to what's about to follow next. Let's not waste more time pals, on to the story now!
….......................................................... ........................................................................... .......................
 
 
 
 
Introduction
Dream yourself far away
 
One more blessed night gazed upon Balamb Garden, dressing it with it's alluring veil of dark blue and purple, painting stars in the vast sky. The moon was smiling down on it, reflecting it's tempting light in every corner of the place. The corridors of Balamb seemed to be empty, the lights were now gone, but still, the crescent moonlight was revealing the shadows of various shaped figures sneaking around the place. Girls and boys, meeting together just to find a chance to go at the Training Center's most romantic spot, and spend some vital moments together. Well, in fact you wouldn't say they 'd have some private time, since that place was crowded with love-birds every night, but it was nice going there anyway. As for the less courageous students or the single ones, they were just happy spending some moments by playing various table games, their faint laughter piercing the grave silence of the dormitories, reaching the ears of someone who was still awake. Still, he was too drown into his world to interfere in their happiness...
 
 
He was there, all alone, blue eyes wandering helplessly around the ill-decorated walls, locked inside a room that now seemed more like a cage, an isolated sleeping refuge where he had built his own personal world of storming thoughts and guilt to escape from reality. No consolation could be found among his countless thoughts, no deliverance for his tormented soul, neither a healing hand for his heart's disease. Especially that particular night, which once was so glorious and magnificent, and now stood as a living resemblance of an endless nightmare haunting him, perhaps forever...
Squall was broken far beyond repair, for he had lost his most precious possession a long time ago...Was it three years or more? No, three years exactly, just like that night.
A triumphant night that turned to a series of unfortunate events, leading him to his emotional downfall every day, one by one. Ever since that special night, his life had changed dramatically and gone downhill without alleviation for his pain, for the loss of his loved one...
Rinoa was her name, a name so beautiful, sounding like angel's whispering, so pleasant and ecstatic, feeling his heart with the richest of emotions. Now it hurts, and the wounds are yet to be healed, in spite of the flow of time, in spite of his will, in spite of it all... For he was bound to this Garden, and became an instructor so as not to leave this adorable place, choosing this painful memory of her loss never to abandon his mind. Somehow, he had gotten used to it, though he never got to accept that terrible fact, putting the blame on himself within every chance...
Because no one could bring her back to life.
Rinoa was the infinite light shed into the darkest chambers of his mind, infiltrating his innermost thoughts, showing him without his defensive shell. Only to her he could reveal his real self, the emotional and caring aspects of his seemingly adamant personality, and be free, at last. Without her, his defensive ego had to be resurfaced, just like he actually did, for fear of getting hurt one more time.
Next to Rinoa, it was Ellone the person to whom he could not hide anything. She was his ''sis'' as he used to call her when he had been just a little boy living in an orphanage, before she was taken away from him. That was the first time Squall ever suffered from the loss of a beloved one, but still he couldn't bear a grudge against her, even when she had found her again. Ellone was the key to his salvation, he was well aware of this. Nonetheless, someone imposed an obstacle to their sweet brotherly relationship, someone who proved not to be a stranger at all...
Laguna, the man he didn't want to see before his eyes, though later proved to be his biological father. Squall really had ambivalent feelings for that ''guy'', not only because they were entirely different but also because he couldn't make up for his empty childhood years without having a parent. Most of his life, Squall was led to believe that he was all alone in this life and had to cope this way. Therefore, it was too late for him to learn that all those years could have been entirely different. It didn't matter anyway, nothing could compensate for he lost time. Absolutely nothing at all.
Deadlocks everywhere, a dead end ahead of him which was more preferable than facing stupid and ignorant people all day long, lecturing him all the time about the way he behaved and felt. No one could really understand him, no one could feel what he felt, and no one could shoulder his own burden, his own destiny. And at the same time, he wished no one would ever meet such a fate like his own...
A rough diamond, that's what Squall was in reality. Still, he would prefer to send away everyone in hopes of saving himself from getting further hurt, or damaged.
''This is the last time pain knocks my door.'' he must have been thinking all the time ever since he lost her. And this distant attitude of him emerged again, so to speak of the matter. He barely had conversations with his students once his teaching was done, he was a light eater as well as a light sleeper, and that was that. However, no one could complain about having such a talented and skilled instructor such as Squall, though not being talkative and open. Want it or not, he was an idol to everyone, and well respected. Sometimes, he had been offered some help by his students as a token of gratitude, but turned them all down and went even more hot-tempered than already he was. Only god knew what untold pain he could be bearing in his brain, and was going through all this without telling a single thing to the others...
Cruel reality. The scars in his devastated soul cut so deep, much deeper than the first time he had felt the scar burning on his forehead, that river of blood flowing through his delicate lips. That scar was only a trivial matter when compared to his agony, growing bigger and bigger every single day, all the silent way... Who knows what he might be speaking to the shadows of his past and into the obscure darkness of his locked dormitory.
 
 
 
''Three years have passed after our last critical journey. Actually, it was my journey, for I doubt the others recollect of it the same way I do...
Seed is no longer a force training mercenaries, but a school teaching martial arts and self defense. According to the rules of Gardens existing all over the world, all SeeD members who reach their twenties are to leave the Garden, join the military forces or work as instructors. This is the reason I'm still here or... I won't be here longer.
The world could not be the same after the defeat of Ultimecia. Rumours about new continents emerging from the depths of the earth, and secrets yet to be discovered have been spread. However, SeeD is unable to explore them, for it has lost it's original purpose. No more adventures and thrilling battles, nothing reminding of the glorious past.
Everything seems to be way too peaceful and silent. A silence so insufferable that begins to drive me mad.
The only pure company I ever had is Quezacotl, my Guardian Force.
It is said that if you use a Guardian Force you may have a loss of memory...It had happened to me once, and I wish it would happen again, because everyone leads to normal lives now, apart from me.
Zell has become a champion in many skateboard tournaments. He's surely the same Zell I knew three years ago. Hot-tempered, enthusiastic about new challenges and flippant at times. Nevermore, when critical danger approaches, he may get scared like a chicken wuss. Anyway, no matter how different we are, he still keeps in touch with me and often visits me in a attempt to reminiscence of the good old times.
Selphie always loved trains. She used to watch the landscapes while singing in happiness and joy. It was a bit irritating of her to do that, but recollecting her innocence makes me somewhat envy her nowadays. Cheerful, funny and open hearted, she is definitely the best person to serve the passengers boarding a Galbadian line. I sometimes wonder if she preferred Irvine to Laguna...''
Squall frowned at the thought of Laguna, for reasons more than obvious. It was inevitable to stop his train of thoughts, though.
 
Laguna...I will never understand this guy even though I have learnt we share the same blood. I can't call him a father, he's not. Most of my lifetime has been spent into knowing I was an unlucky orphan, not someone abandoned by his father. Laguna's still the President of the Esthar nation, trying to evolve highly sophisticated technology. He wanted me to come along some time ago. I gave no respond to his ridiculous proposal. All this stuff is just too much for me. Yet I've come to a point to realise that meeting with him is inevitable, sooner or later. And most probably, it will be really soon.
Irvine's whereabouts are unknown. He had told us that he was a lonely person and left us for good. But I doubt he would quit his favorite hobby of chasing beautiful girls. Back then, he had shown some interest to Selphie, well, not only to her, actually. He was born to be a lady's man, always prying for attention, so it's most probable he must be visiting amusement parks, trying to impress girls with his remarkable shooting skills.
Quistis, (the once failed instructor) has finally calmed a bit and left me alone. Confessing her feelings to me resulted in her rejection, and honestly little do I care about how feels, I have my own problems to deal with.
Therefore, she's devoted herself in keeping her position of the Queen of the Cards while working under Headmaster Cid's authority, after he had been granted the leadership of this Garden again. Really, I had no reason to be in charge of the Garden after that war ended, my task was executed and done perfectly, I didn't want to perform more duties when my part in that story was over.
 
I obtained many things after the end of Ultimecia's threat upon the world. But every victory has a price...and I learnt the hard way..
I still remember that delightful night three years ago, when we were holding the celebration of our triumph over Ultimecia... We were flying by the Garden, watching the heavens and rejoice in the sparkling cheerful atmosphere of abundant laughter and bliss…
A falling star, an innerwish...
Our first and last kiss...
The beginning of the bitter end drawing near...
Witchcraft would not end that easily as we had originally thought. She couldn't be helped... Ultimecia had left her traces on her, trying to possess her again and live through her body. She resisted and fought her inner battle, but their powers were equal for a reason yet to be explained. Then insanity began to consume her slowly in a torturing way, mumbling strange things to me, that it had to stop, otherwise the world could never be in peace...
Her last words were ''Go on.'' and the rest is history...
 
Everyone but me has got over those unbearable moments... This is why I wish I could forget this experience. I was not used to being all alone anymore. I wasn't afraid of revealing the hidden, vulnerable side of me... But it was beneath me to pretend that everything was all well. My thoughts and fears were always right in the first place :
If you show love to the others, something will happen and those people will leave you, one way or another. So, I tried to return to my original self, the one I should always be.
Unfortunately, even that was not the solution. My lust for fighting grew stronger, that was the only way to keep my mind busy. And this thirst cannot be quenched in this Garden anymore.
I was not trained to end up as a boring and numb instructor. Theoretical training, practice, education... I will not take it anymore, so I've taken my final decision to leave. Besides, my time has come. I'll quit and turn over a new leaf in hopes of leaving the past behind.
Tomorrow, I'll hand over my resignation letter to Headmaster Cid. I'll be released from my bounds and start a new adventure. I hate to think of this, but I may go to Laguna and seek some information about this new continent. There must be something within this new found land, I'll be the first to know. Soon, I'll be there...''
 
A/ N That was it. Next is on progress. By the way, would someone want to beta-read my upcoming chapter so that I won't be having any grammar mistakes? Sorry guys, English is not my first language so I'd be more than glad to get some help, if you don't mind.