Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Glass Tower ❯ Repress ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

#17 Repress
[word count: 506]
It was three o'clock in the morning when the phone rang. Rufus groaned softly and turned in bed with restless annoyance. He didn't want to answer it but he couldn't just let it ring. The call could be important…or it might be Reno. Maybe he knew when he was coming back to Midgar.
 
Rufus smiled slightly at the thought. Reno was always so wanton after a dangerous mission, still so wild with adrenaline. The sex was always amazing and intense.
 
He sat up languidly and reached for the phone.
 
“Hello,” He answered informally.
 
“I'm sorry to be calling so late,” Tseng's voice replied.
 
Rufus frowned and raked his fingers through his hair anxiously. Tseng never called him unless it was urgent. “It's fine. What's going on?”
 
“Reno had to be hospitalized,” Tseng said rather curtly.
 
Rufus felt as though someone had hit him hard enough to knock the breath from his lungs. He swallowed hard and tried to remember how to speak calmly. “How…how is he?”
 
“He'll live,” Tseng replied with gentle compassion, “It's nothing that he hasn't dealt with before, but I thought that you should be the first to know considering your…fondness for Reno.”
 
“Thank you,” Rufus murmured. His throat felt tight and he tried to clear it. Rufus could still only speak in a voice hoarse with emotions he tried so hard to repress. “Where has he been hospitalized?”
 
“Junon. I'm sorry we couldn't bring him back to Midgar in his condition.”
 
“I thought you said it was nothing serious,” The anger edging Rufus's tone made his voice strong and clear.
 
“His injuries were not fatal, but that doesn't mean he was safe to travel long distances,” Tseng explained calmly.
 
Rufus exhaled a long, slow sigh. Getting mad at Tseng wouldn't do him any good. He only wished he knew who was responsible for hurting his lover. Rufus was aware that he would not get this information from Tseng, who knew his sense of vengeance all too well. “Thank you, Tseng. I greatly appreciate this. Will you promise me one thing?”
 
“What is it that you want?”
 
“When Reno gets out of the hospital, call me immediately,” Rufus said firmly.
 
“Understood. Good night, sir.”
 
Rufus couldn't listen to his pleasantries right now and just hung up the phone. He was a wreak and he didn't even know why. During the span of knowing him, Reno had been hurt quite a few times while on duty and Rufus had never felt like this before.
 
He covered his face in his hands and heaved a shuddering sigh. What had changed? Rufus knew that Reno was perfectly capable of taking care of himself, but that didn't stop the emotions flowing through him.
 
When he pulled his hands away from his face, he noticed with detached fascination that his palms were damp. Tentatively, he touched one of his cheeks and found that it was slick with tears.
 
“Oh god,” Rufus breathed.
 
I'm in love with him, He finished the thought deep within the privacy of his mind.