Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Hope and Heartbreak ❯ Hope and Heartbreak ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: FFVII belongs to Square Enix, but Ariadne is my OC, and that's something they can't take from me! Mwhahahaha!!!
 
******************
 
~Hope and Heartbreak~
 
The air was hot as it wafted over the Palace Gardens. A gentle breeze lilted along, bringing with it a gust of cool that ticked the surface of the pond, causing it to giggle in a rippling laugh. Yuffie stood on the bridge that crossed the middle of the pond, staring into the mirrored surface, watching the koi that swam just past her reflection. She sighed, thinking about the time that had passed since she had seen her friends. It had been nearly a year since Deep Ground's defeat, and in that time, Godo had died, passing Wutai on to her. She had seen the gang at her father's funeral, but that had been almost eight months ago. Then, she had been glad to see everyone happy and healthy, especially Tifa and Vincent, who looked rather cute and cozy together, especially with Tifa's swollen belly that would eventually bare Vincent's child.
 
Yuffie smiled to herself, glad for the couple. Even though, at one time, she might have wanted Vincent for herself, she knew Tifa was everything Vincent needed in a companion; everything she couldn't be. At first that had upset her, but they were her friends, and there was no way she could stay angry or upset with them. Sighing softly again, she blinked, jumping when a reflection suddenly wavered next to hers. Surprised and frightened, she spun, readying for her attacker, but paused when she realized who it was.
 
“Vincent,” she gasped. She placed a hand over her heart, trying to calm it. “You scared me.”
 
Vincent looked away, a silent apology. Yuffie noticed that he was unusually silent and still, and something seemed very not right. She watched him stare at the ground, realizing that he had donned his cape once more. She hadn't seen him wear that since his and Tifa's wedding. She knew something was terribly wrong.
 
“Vince?” she whispered, drawing his gaze. She noticed how dull and lifeless his usually burning crimson gaze was. She stepped forward, searching his gaze. “What's the matter?” She glanced around, realizing he was alone. “Where's Tifa?”
 
Vincent noticeably wilted a little, unable to hold her gaze. “She's gone, Yu,” he said softly.
 
Yuffie frowned. “What'd you do?” she asked, wanting to help them. If they had split up, there had to be a way she could help them get back together—
 
“Not that kind of gone,” he whispered. His voice was emotionless, but Yuffie felt certain that he couldn't look at her because of the tears threatening to make themselves known.
 
Yuffie's eyes widened, and she gasped, her hand flying to her mouth and tears filling her eyes. “Gone?” she whispered. She could feel her heart in her throat. “What….what do you mean?” She looked up at Vincent, searching his face. “Tell me it's not true.”
 
“I wish it wasn't,” he breathed. He looked up, meeting her gaze. His dark hair fell across his eyes, which were shining with hurt. He could tell Yuffie wished to embrace him, but he couldn't let her.
 
“Oh, Vincent,” she whispered, breaking into sobs. She cried quietly for a moment, and Vincent had to fight down his own emotions. He held her watery gaze when she managed to compose herself. “How….?”
 
Vincent looked away. “Trying to bear our child,” he whispered. Yuffie could almost feel the guilt in his voice.
 
“Oh, no, Vince,” Yuffie said, stepping closer. “And the baby?” She wiped at her tears, feeling her heart breaking.
 
Vincent drew a hesitant breath, before sweeping his cloak back. He heard Yuffie gasp as she saw what it was he cradled against his chest. He watched her sad eyes widen in awe as she stepped closer, brushing the baby's cheek. “Her name is Ariadne,” he whispered, so as not wake her. He watched Yuffie's eyes soften, even as more tears filled them at the child's fate. “Yu?”
 
She looked up, her deep hazel eyes shining with unshed tears. “She's so beautiful,” she whispered. She turned her gaze back to the babe, noticing her shock of dark hair. She vaguely wondered what color her eyes would be as she realized that the baby looked exactly like her father.
 
“I have something to ask of you,” Vincent said, drawing her gaze once more.
 
Yuffie nodded. “Anything,” she whispered.
 
“I…” he gazed down at the child in his arms, his smoldering gaze filled with unconditional love and sorrow. “I want you to take her.” He looked up at her, seeing the fear and uncertainty in her eyes. “You are the only one I trust.”
 
Yuffie stared at him, feeling as if she'd been struck. “Why?” she asked, scared to hear the answer. “Why would you leave your baby? Your last link with Tifa?”
 
Vincent looked away, knowing she could never understand. “I do not trust myself to care for her,” he said, looking down into her soft face. He could feel his heart breaking again. She was too much a reminder of Tifa. “I do not wish to hurt her.”
 
Yuffie touched his arm, her eyes searching his face. “I cannot be to her what you are, or what Tifa would have been,” she said, scared that he would try to force the child upon her. She didn't know what she would do with a baby. “I will assist you in caring for your daughter, but she shouldn't grow up never having known you, or the memory of her mother.”
 
Vincent's eyes fell away from hers, landing once more on his daughter. He knew she was right. He suppressed the guilt that was rising inside him, suppressing a gasp when
Ariadne's eyes suddenly began to open. “Yu, look,” he whispered, drawing her gaze.
 
Yuffie turned her gaze to the baby's face, smiling. “She has her mother's eyes,” she whispered.
 
Vincent looked up at her, feeling a soft smile on his lips. “She does, doesn't she,” he said quietly. He held the baby closer against his heart. He felt lightheaded as Ariadne stared at him. He knew she probably couldn't really see him, and if she did, she couldn't understand who he was, but her gaze was captivating as it seemed to see right into his soul. For a moment, when he blinked, he swore it was Tifa that he was seeing, but when he opened his eyes again, she was gone, leaving only Ariadne in her wake. Even though a wave of sadness washed over him, deep love consumed him as well. “I promise,” he breathed, pressing his lips to her forehead. “I will always take care of you.” He looked at Yuffie, giving her the most genuine smile she had ever seen from him. “Thank you, Yuffie.”
 
Yuffie was slightly speechless, and she had to look away. “For what?” she asked quickly, scratching the back of her neck as a nervous gesture.
 
“For helping me,” he whispered. He gazed lovingly down at his daughter. “For helping us.” He was silent for a moment as he gazed at her. He cradled her in one arm, letting his other hand brush her tiny hands. He smiled a little when she wrapped her tiny fist around his finger. “I believe that everything will be alright now.”
 
Yuffie smiled, even though inside her heart was hurting. She was saddened by the loss of her friend, and the distance that now separated her from Vincent. She had hoped that there would one day be a chance for things to work between them, but it was painfully obvious now that there could never be a relationship between them, other than one that was platonic. She watched him gently rock the infant, lulling her to sleep. “I'm always here for you, Vince,” she whispered. She held his gaze, even though it hurt her.
 
“I know,” he whispered. “And I appreciate that.” He looked down at Ariadne. “You are a wonderful friend, Yuffie. For that I am eternally grateful.”
 
Yuffie looked away. If that was all they could ever be, then so be it. She would enjoy his friendship for as long as it lasted; for as long as he continued to offer it.