Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Hung Up ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Rikku drummed her fingers on the side of the Celsius. She was in the cabin, just looking out the window.

Time goes by so slowly,” she quietly sang.

“Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly.”

She stood up, hearing a beat; a dance beat, in her head. The beads in her hair clinked as she began to dance. Not dancing like she did when she used the Songstress dressphere, but, different.

“Every little thing that you say or do

I'm hung up

I'm hung up on you,” she sang as she danced down the stairs and past a startled Barkeep.

“Waiting for you call

Baby night and day,” she sang as she danced onto the, winking at Shinra and Buddy.

I'm fed up

I'm tired of waiting on you.”

“Rikku, fryd yna oui tuehk?1” Brother yelled, outraged by her antics, as usual.

Time goes by so slowly for those who wait

No time to hesitate,” she went on, ignoring Brother and dancing with Paine. Moving over to Yuna, she continued.

“Those who run seem to have all the fun

I'm caught up

I don't what to do.”

Everyone seemed to have stopped and was now staring at her. Leaving the bridge, she headed out, off the ship entirely and into the rain.

“Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly

Time goes by so slowly

I don't know what to do.”

People, of the few that were out, stopped what they were doing to stare at her. In her skimpy clothes that were practically plastered to her skin, beaded hair in plenty of braids, and the singing which had gotten a little louder, it was no surprise. But, somehow, she didn't notice any of this.

“Every little thing that you say or do

I'm hung up

I'm hung up on you.

Waiting for your call

Baby night and day

I'm fed up

I'm tired of waiting on you.”

She paused for a moment, out of breath. Heading down the Mi’ihen Highroad alone, she fiddled with a braid and it’s blue bead at the bottom. As she walked, though jog would be a better term, she picked up her song again.

“Every little thing that you say or do

I’m hung up

I’m hung up on you”

Finding herself at Rin’s Travel Agency, she rented of his newly acquired Chocobos. It seemed that many people had wanted to ride the things, so now people could walk, or ride a hover, or ride a Chocobo. She hummed the beat that was in her head as she rode. Getting off at Mushroom Rock Road, Rikku headed onto Djose. Still humming, she picked up singing when she saw the temple come into view.

“Waiting for your call

Baby night and day

I’m fed up

I’m tired of waiting on you”

She didn’t noticed Gippal walk by, stopping at her words. No, the spontaneous Al Bhed girl went on her way.

“Buzz, buzz, buzz goes the Commsphere2

The lights are on but there’s no one home.”

“Rikku, fryd yna oui tuehk? Tet oui ku lnywo un cusadrehk?3” Gippal called out. The girl didn’t answer, instead, just kept singing.

“Tick, tick, tock it’s a quarter to two

And I’m done

I’m hanging up on you”

She left, heading towards the Moonflow. Gippal followed, as did Yuna and Paine who had been tailing her.

“I can’t keep on waiting for you

I know that you’re still hesitating,” she said, or rather, sang as she stepped onto the Moonflow. Guadosalam was on the other side of it.

“Don’t cry for me

‘Cause I’ll find my way

You’ll wake up one day;” she paused for a moment, catching both her breath and a shoopuf. The three that were following her grabbed the same one.

“But it’ll be too late.”

She was quiet during the ride. But as soon as her feet touched the shore, she took off, going as fast as she could. The others followed, though not as fast. Rikku stood outside Guadosalam.

“Every little thing that you say or do

I’m hung up

I’m hung up on you

Waiting for your call

Baby night and day

I’m fed up

I’m tired of waiting on you.”

She walked inside, her friend right behind her. She hummed, heading straight for the Farplane. A man blocked the entrance, the place deemed unsafe with the Guado gone and all. Not that she would have gone into the viewing area. The farthest she would have gone to would be the stairs.

Quietly, so that the other had to strain their ears to hear, she picked up her song once more.

“Ever little thing that you say or do

I’m hung up

I’m hung up on you

Waiting for your call

Baby night and day,” she paused for a moment. Then, so soft and quietly, little more than a whisper, she finished.

“I’m fed up

I’m tired of waiting on you.”

Collapsing on the ground, she dreamed. A gold thing smiled at her. A green swirl flowed around her. A red blob set her at ease.

She woke up on top of her bed in the Celsius’ cabin. She stretched and yawned. The window showed a clear and sunny sky, birds chirping outside.

Rikku smiled, her soul freed from the pain it had held. Touching her hair, she realized she had three new beads on a new braid. The first was green with a black swirl that made her thing of her eyes. The second was gold, almost indistinguishable from her hair. The third, a rich red. Touching the green bead, she felt a burst of compassion and understanding. The gold brought laughter and funny, silly thoughts. And the red, it made her feel peaceful.

A smile on her face, Rikku wondered what would happen next in her adventurous life.

1 Rikku, what are you doing?

2 Changed to fit Spira

3 Rikku, what are you going? Did you go crazy or something?