Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ In My Mind's Eye ❯ Chapter 6

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter Six
Wu-Wei led them down in the moonlight to a little cove. The tranquil water looked like polished glass, reflecting the stars in the inky sky overhead as if they were powdered diamonds. There, just ahead, tethered to a rock, was a little boat, made from the broad leaves of the trees, floating in the shallows.
“It is time.” Wu-Wei said, stepping into the boat.
Loki looked up at the iceman and the little princess with a tear in his eye. “Goodbye, Princess Yuffie. It has been an honor to travel with you.”
“Goodbye, Loki.” Yuffie hugged him like her own stuffed toy. “Hope you find the wisdom you're looking for.”
“So long, Frosty.” Loki waved. “May we meet in another time.”
Yuki and Yuffie stepped into the little boat as Phong Thuy and Loki waved them goodbye from the shore. Wu-Wei placed his staff in the water and pushed off. The boat glided smoothly over the calm surface of the lake. As they journeyed over the water in silence, remembering all that had brought them here and wondering what adventures might yet lay in store. Yuffie watched Loki and his new friend gradually become smaller and smaller and smaller…until they faded from her sight.
Yuffie was awoken from her contemplation as the boat hit the opposite shore. Wu-Wei smiled sadly as the iceman and the little princess carefully climbed on to the stony ground.
“The path ahead is perilous.” Wu-Wei said. “And I will not have you take this journey without some help. First, Phong Thuy has prepared some prana bread.”
Wu-Wei presented his paw, where Yuffie saw two tiny cakes.
“Is that it?” she frowned, looking at him dubiously. “Look, pal. I'm gonna need something more than two measly cupcakes to get outta this island, y'know.”
“HO-HO!” Wu-Wei laughed. “Very funny. Prana bread is a vital source of life. It will fill you with energy, with the smallest bite. These two cakes are more than enough for your needs.”
“Ah, fine…if you say so.” Yuffie grunted.
“You'll need a map.” The panda said, presenting a tiny little nut to the princess.
“What kind of a map is that?” Yuffie exclaimed. “Have you been smoking too many leaves?”
“It is a living map.” Wu-Wei replied, breathing on the little round nut.
At that moment, the nut wriggled, and began to change shape as it opened up to reveal glowing light.
“What's that?” Yuffie asked.
“It's a seeker fly.” Wu-Wei replied. “I have spoken to this little insect and asked him to guide you on the next step of your journey and he has kindly agreed.”
Suddenly the little insect spread out his wings and flew up into the air. Its tail glowed brightly with an intense sapphire blue, whose light reflected and twinkled in the ice from Yuki's body.
“Okay, I admit that's pretty cool. But there's gotta be something else!” Yuffie said, only half impressed.
“What do you mean?” Wu-Wei asked.
“Well, one thing I have learned,” Yuffie said, “is that things come in threes. So there must be something else.”
“HO-HO!” Wu-Wei wriggled his fat belly. “Yes, I can see there's no fooling you. The last thing that I give you is my blessing. It is the only protection I can bestow.”
He held out his paws towards them, with his eyes closed.
“Whatever happens, may the four spirits of nature sustain you at your moment of your trial.” Wu-Wei opened his eyes. “The rest is up to you.” He turned to go and seemed to be about to get back in his boat, when he stopped and paused before turning round and looking at Yuffie.
“What is it?” she asked. “Why are you staring so creepy at me like that?”
“There is something I have not told you.”
“Something you've not told me? Call yourself a wise panda and you keep information from me?”
“You sound just like your mother sometimes.”
“My Mother? What do you know of my mother?”
“I…”
“Where is she? Is she here? Have you been hiding her from me?”
“She is dead, my dear.”
And in her heart Yuffie knew this to be true, although she had been frightened of admitting as much. “How do you know?”
“Her boat was shipwrecked here…she had gone on a mission that was meant to bring peace, but instead, unfavorable winds blew her off course and she was trapped here…”
“Then why didn't you tell her how to escape?”
“Oh, but I did…” The old panda looked sorrowful.
“What happened?”
“She was found by Kazar…there was no way out…”
“Well…wh-why didn't you tell me this before?”
“I didn't want to add to the burdens you were carrying. But because I know you have Yuki beside you, I know you will be safe. Your poor mother had no one…I am sorry I did not tell you this before.”
The wise old panda stepped back into his boat, waved farewell and with his bamboo staff, pushed away from the shore as his little leaf boat carried him back to his island retreat. As they watched the little figure of Wu-Wei disappear into the distance, they suddenly heard a loud insistent buzzing behind them. Turning round, the seeker fly seemed to beckon them into the woods, as it darted into the trees and hovered, waiting for them to catch up.
“Well,” said Yuki, “I think it's time we set off on the last part of our journey together.”
Yuffie said nothing, for they both knew that deep down only one of them would survive this ordeal.
“You're sad.” Yuki noticed her tears. “Don't worry. You are going home now and we must both be brave.”
The seeker fly zipped back and forth, impatient for them to follow him.
The journey was uneventful enough. All they had to do was follow the little fly through the trees. They had no idea where it was leading them. All they knew was that they had to follow. Sometimes it would press ahead, sometimes it would turn to the left, and sometimes make a sharp right. Sometimes, it would hover in one place as if listening out for something and then would change direction once again. The only sounds in the night forest were the squeaks and chirps of the birds and insect life that came alive at night.
After several hours of following the darting blue light, Yuffie was hungry. It was all she could do to pick up her feet and walk on. Her eyelids were heavy and she felt ready to drop them at any moment.
“I'm tired.” she said, but the little seeker fly pressed forward insistently.
“Take a bite of the prana bread.” Yuki advised, breaking a piece from one the cakes and offering it to her.
The exhausted princess eagerly took the cake and devoured it. Almost at once, she felt a tingle rush through her body from the tips of her ears to the tips of her toes. This was followed by a warm rush of energy, which almost lifted her off her feet.
“Wow,” she remarked. “why didn't you give me any of this before?”
“You never asked.” Yuki replied.
“Well, c'mon! You better keep up with me now!” Yuffie rushed forwards with the little seeker fly, her body bursting with energy.
The next part of the journey seemed much easier now, even though the terrain became rougher. There were rocky hills in the forest, which they climbed over, and sharp ravines, which they had to creep along. All the time the seeker fly flew a few feet ahead of them, sometimes stopping so they could catch up and sometimes shooting off into the darkness as if it was looking for something. Soon, they realized the night was coming to an end when Yuki looked up and saw the first violet glow of dawn spreading through the treetops. The seeker fly increased its speed as if determined to get them to their destination before the sun rose. This part of the forest was a tangled mass of vines, creepers and twisting trunks. Blocks of masonry jutted up through the earth, getting in their way, but still the seeker fly pressed on. It was getting lighter now, and as it got lighter, the bright glow from the friendly little insect diminished. Yet still it sped forward as they rushed on after it as slowly its light became invisible in the growing dawn.
“I can't see it anymore.” Yuffie said. Even Yuki's keen eyesight could only just distinguish a pinpoint of blue in the distance and then it passed out of sight.
At that moment, a terrible scream rent the air. Yuffie and Yuki looked at each other alarmingly.
“Blood Screechers!” Yuki shouted, as one of the monsters bore down upon them, its horrid bloody mouth opening wider, revealing the sharp teeth within.
The Blood Screecher was aiming directly for the little princess' head, moving as fast as an arrow. Its hideous tongue wriggled in its hellish mouth as it screamed louder and louder. In that moment, Yuffie knew, with a certainty, that she was going to die. Wu-Wei had been right after all. But suddenly, at the last moment, as she froze in terror, the solid wall of Yuki's body got in the way and the Blood Screecher's hideous jaws broke as they pounded into the solid ice. Yuki collapsed, pieces of the Blood Screecher embedded in his icy flesh.
“Yuki!” cried the princess.
He looked down at his wounds, and as he tugged the splintered teeth out, a strange luminous icy gel trickled onto his hands. He looked amazed.
“What is this?” Yuki wondered.
“Yuki,” Yuffie murmurred. “you're…bleeding.”
He stared at the sticky luminous liquid that was weeping from his wounds.
“My… blood?” he said, shocked.
“Don't you see?” Yuffie continued. “If you bleed, you gotta have a heart. And if you got a heart, it means that deep down, you're still a human!”
At that moment, more blood curdling screams screeched throughout the air. Yuffie looked up and saw to her horror, countless of the horrid monsters, flapping towards them. Yuki saw it too.
“Quick! We must run!” he said, pulling himself to his feet, grabbing her hand and literally dragging her after him as he took great strides through the forest undergrowth.
But the Blood Screechers were undeterred, and seemed to bear down on them with renewed intensity. There was nowhere to hide. They were close now, only a few feet away. Yuki pushed the little princess behind him for protection. He raised his huge icy fists into the air to bat them away as they began their attack. In a mad terror, Yuffie looked around.
“Oh, gawd! Please, please!” she prayed. “Please don't let this be the end!”
At that moment, she saw an old fashioned stone archway, half hidden in the undergrowth. The cry of the Blood Screechers grew louder and it seemed as if Yuki could no longer fend them off. More streaks of his luminous icy blood were flowing down his arms where the creatures had bitten him.
“C'mon, Yuki!” Yuffie cried. “There's a tunnel!”
As the giant whirled his powerful arms, he turned his head and saw where the little princess was pointing. With one final powerful blow, he knocked the creatures back, grabbed Yuffie and made a dive for the tunnel entrance. Holding her gently in front of him, as if she were the most delicate of blossoms, he propelled himself into the tunnel's mouth. The next thing Yuffie knew was that all the light had gone and everything was black. Yuki landed with a thud and for the first time, she heard him let out a terrible cry of pain. Yet still he managed to hold her safe, gently relaxing his grip and softly placing her on the damp mossy earth that lined the tunnel's floor.
“We've made it!” Yuffie said…but there was a faint rumbling sound behind Yuki. “Thank Leviathan we're safe.” There was a silence. “Yuki…? Yuki…?” she spoke to the darkness.
Yuki stirred. There seemed to be an awful lot of his blood now, weeping from his body, casting a pale eerie glow around the tunnel.
“See, you're not completely useless.” Yuffie smiled at him.
There was a rumbling sound again, and Yuki grimaced.
“C'mon, what are you waiting for?”
“I don't think I'll be able to come with you, Yuffie.” Yuki sighed.
“What...why?” she asked anxiously.
“I'm badly damaged. When I dived through the opening, I hurt myself. The tunnel was too small for my body and now I fear it's about to collapse. I can feel the earth moving around me. You must hurry.”
But Yuffie refused, shaking her head like a spoiled child. “You can't leave me, you can't leave me now! I won't let it! As Princess of Wutai, I order you to get off your ass and get on your feet, right now!”
“Even if I could free myself, my body is badly mangled. I fear my life is ending.”
“No, you're wrong. It's not meant to end like this!”
“We can't always foresee our ends, Yuffie. Surely you must understand that.” The gentle ice giant replied. “Here, let me give you this. It will help you on the rest of your journey.”
His hand reached up to his eye and in an instant, he plucked the icy diamond from its socket and proffered it to her.
“Let this be a light to guide you.” he sighed.
As she looked into his half-blind face, tears began to stream down her cheeks. The rumbling grew more insistent and suddenly the roof and the walls of the tunnel collapsed onto her beloved iceman, burying him. All that was left was his hand, protruding from the rubble; in its fingers, the shining diamond of his eye. At that moment, Yuffie let out a cry of anguish and threw herself on the ground, beating at the earth with her fists and feet.
“IT'S NOT FAIR!” she screamed.
She lay there on the floor for some time, until she had exhausted herself with her tears and rage. After a while, it was clear she could not stay there any longer. Yuki had sacrificed himself for her. She owed it to him to complete the journey. Picking herself up, she took his bright prismatic eye and held it up. As she did so, it illuminated the tunnel just ahead. It seemed to go on forever. So keeping it in her outstretched hands, she slowly crept forwards, hoping to find an exit from this terrible place. After she had been walking for some time, she recalled the prana bread. There was a little left in her pocket. Breaking some off, she munched it. Soon, the familiar tingling sensation rippled through her body and she felt more alive, less despondent, more hopeful and energetic. They hadn't come this far to fail at this last moment. She had to be brave, not just for herself, but in recognition for all the help she had on this journey.
Seconds passed into minutes, and minutes passed into hours. And all that she could see were the dark damp walls of the tunnel. She thought she would never escape…but then, in the distance, she began to detect a faint light. Holding up Yuki's prismatic eye, she moved forward. It was at this moment, she discovered that his eye also acted as some sort of magnifying device. And as she held it up to her own eye, everything became clearer, sharper and magnified.
There, in the distance, was daylight. She was sure of it. Hope rose in her, and picking up her legs, she ran. Sure enough, the glow became bigger and brighter. In her excitement, all she could hear was her panting breath and beating heart. Nearer now, she could clearly see the outline of a doorway. Pushing herself on even further, she ran and ran. An arm outstretched now, as if she could touch the bright sunshine ahead. She could feel a cool breeze, wafting down the tunnel, bringing her scents of hot stone and spices. In an instant, she was outside in the glorious, dazzling and blinding sun. How it hurt her eyes after that long dark trek in the underworld. She never thought she would see the day again. She sank to her knees recovering, thankful that she was safe in the light again, regaining her breath, and adjusting her eyes to the new conditions. She carefully placed Yuki's eye in her pocket and began to look around.
There were no trees here, but sandy dunes stretched out in front of her, pale gold in the dazzling light. Here and there, were waxy green cacti from which bloomed extraordinary colored fleshy flowers; pink, orange and crimson. Their spicy scent drifting over the dunes, making her feel light headed with their perfume. She sniffed again. There was another smell too, one that excited her. It was the sea…the briny tang of the salt sea. She must be close, she must almost be at her journey's end. But in all this joy, there remained one thorn; the memory of the iceman who had saved her life, trapped under the earth forever. She looked around once more, and saw just ahead, a rocky outcrop. On it, were the tangled remains of wires. This must be it. This must be the remains of the mad scientist's laboratory; the location of the ship that would take her back home… and also the lair of Kazar, the great cyber-tiger and eater of little princesses.
With the sun at its zenith, the air was hot and still, and slowly, cautiously, she turned to the right and began to make her way towards the rocky outcrop following the tracks that little animals had made in the sand. After a few minutes, she paused to get her breath and realized that the laboratory seemed no nearer than when she had set off a few minutes previously. Munching the remains of the prana bread to give her renewed vigor, she pressed on anew. Yet again, it seemed the laboratory remained as far away as ever. It was only when the sun began its downward journey towards the west that she realized she had misjudged its size. It wasn't a small rocky outcrop nearby. It was a big one further away. Now she was angry. After all she had been through, what had seemed to be an easy end to this journey was going to be more complicated than she thought. She felt deceived and the first stirring of self pity began to rise up in her…when suddenly, she had a vision of Wu-Wei. The wise old panda shook his head and wagged his finger at her.
“Now, now.” Wu-Wei spoke. “You're almost there.”
“Whaddya mean I'm almost there? I'm not!” Yuffie moaned. “Why does everything have to be so hard?”
The wise panda shook his head again. “Once more, you don't understand. It is merely an illusion. You are nearer than you think. Follow the left hand path and you will see.”
With that, he disappeared from her mind.
“Stupid panda with his stupid riddles.” Yuffie kicked the dirt. “I just wanna go home!”
With that, she looked down at the ground in front of her and realized she was at a sort of crossroads. Not the big open crossroads of her father's city, it is true. But there was definitely a fork in the path ahead. To the right was the track on which she had been so fruitlessly travelling. And to the left, was what looked like the old dried up bed of a stream.
“The left hand path…” Yuffie thought to herself. “Is that what he meant?” It was there, staring at her face all the time. But another voice in her head said: “I'M TIRED!”
“Yes, I know.” said a wiser, more mature voice. “But be brave and push on.”
“Gawd, I better had, or I'll be talking to myself all day.” Yuffie shook her head and scrambled up the little gulley.
After only a few minutes, she reached the top of the little hill and saw there, a broad flat expanse that led to an opening in the rocky outcrop. It had been an optical illusion after all. It had only appeared to be so far away, because of the angle from the sun and now she could see the sea quite nearby from here and realized she had been misled by a mirage. She paused a moment and listened. The only sounds the gentle swell of the ocean and far above, the cries of sea birds to one another. Gathering her remaining strength, she ran to the entrance; a big man made hole in the side of the cliff. Scorch marks around it suggested there had been some terrible accident here long ago. She peered inside and at first saw nothing. Then as her eyes grew accustomed to the dark, she saw tiny little pricks of glowing light. And beneath it all, there was a distant hum, like an ancient turbine running on through the ages, slowly trying hard not to make a sound, she crept into the cave.
There was a short corridor, which led to a big circular room, everywhere there were signs of destruction. Wires were hanging loose from the wall and black scorch marks covered the ceiling. As she pressed on, she heard a crunching noise from beneath her feet, and looking down, she saw the bones of countless animals littering the floor. Had they crept in here and died, or were they victims of Kazar's insatiable greed? She shuddered and tried to press forward without making any more noise, but it was difficult. There were so many skeletons strewn throughout the corridor. She moved her feet forward one at a time, pushing aside each carcass she might find lest it snap and give her presence away. As she got to the end of the corridor, her heart leaped into her mouth. There, in the center of a huge circular room, was a ship of some sort, resting on a platform. Her heart began to beat faster.
This was it. This was her chance to escape, to return to the friendly embrace of Chekov and the strong arms of her father, Godo. Creeping quietly like a mouse, she took three small steps into the chamber, when suddenly, all the lights turned on. Yuffie froze in terror when a synthetic voice announced:
“Welcome, Dr. Hojo.”
Yuffie let out her breath. It was just some crazy old computer program, left over from the days of the mad scientist, presumably, she had set off the welcome greeting on her approach. She relaxed a little and casually began to stroll over towards the ship.
“Do you care for a drink, Dr. Hojo?”
“I dunno.” Yuffie thought hesitantly, shrugging her shoulders. “Maybe a Royal Sunrise…?” she couldn't help but laugh.
Then a strange half-human, half-growling voice came from behind her.
“Make mine a Bloody Princess.”
Yuffie froze again as she felt hot sickly breath on the back of her neck as she slowly turned round. She was gazing into the eyes of Kazar.
“Your dinner is ready now, Dr. Hojo.” said the synthetic voice.
“Indeed.” The tiger replied.
Yuffie was about to let out a terrifying scream when he stood up on its hind legs, grabbed her, and placed a bloody paw over her mouth.
“So glad you could finally drop in for dinner.” Kazar said, as he strode towards what looked like an operating table, the squirming little princess locked tightly in his clutches.
He threw her down onto the table, keeping her still with one paw, as he strapped her legs and arms down firmly.
“You can squeal as much as you wish, my dear. But your friends are far away…dead. No one can save you now.” Kazar snarled.
“Why don't you just eat me know and get it over with?” Yuffie shouted.
“Eat you…now?” Kazar raised a brow. “I don't think you understand. It's not a question of eating you, if only it were that simple. It is your marrow I need, if I was to restore myself fully.”
“Whaddya mean restore yourself?”
“My implants are malfunctioning. Over the years, water has seeped into my circuits and impaired their function.”
“Okay…that doesn't explain why you need to eat my marrow.”
“Dr. Hojo used some of his DNA to create some of my cybernetic circuitry. I have tried the marrow from Moogles and all the creatures of Tsas Aral, but only human DNA will work. I did have some, for a while, but that too has run out, although it seems that you are a perfect match.” He picked up a scalpel in his right paw, and smiled at her, his huge fanged teeth learing at her in a rictus. “I'd love to say this isn't going to hurt, but we both know that wouldn't be true. Of course your mother was very brave…but in the end, I knew she wanted to scream. I arranged it so she would. But no matter how hard I tried she only let out a small cry. She was a great disappointment. You, however, I don't think I will have much trouble in raising a scream out of you. You can scream for both of you.”
He brought his face closer, and she could smell his foul and noisome breath. He pulled back, inspecting the blade in the light.
“Let's hope for your sake this is sharp enough.”
With a flick of his claw, he ripped a hole open in the tights of her Chocobo costume, and slowly began to slide the blade into her plump little thigh. She let out a scream. This was it. She really was going to die.
“Your guests are arriving, Dr. Hojo.” The synthetic voice announced.
“Who could that be…?”
For a moment, Kazar looked puzzled, and turning round, he looked into the mangled icy features of Yuki.
“Me.”
With that, he raised a huge glacial fist, and pounded the tiger in the face. Kazar went flying back and hit the walls of the laboratory with an unpleasant thud.
“YUKI!” Yuffie screamed out. “But I thought...”
“I was barely alive.” He coldly replied. “But in the cold darkness of the tunnel, I regenerated, though I'm not as strong as I was.”
“Well, whaddya waiting for? Untie me!”
From the corner of her eye, Yuffie noticed Kazar beginning to stir, as the iceman pulled her bonds free. She scrambled off the table just in time as the tiger lunged at Yuki, and they both fell, crashing to the floor together, locked in a deathly struggle. As Kazar slashed and clawed at Yuki, the little princess ran over to the ship and climbed the steps to the door in its side. The door was closed. She banged and banged and pulled at it. Yet still, it would not budge. She turned around, panicking, that at the very last, her escape route was doomed.
On the floor of the laboratory below, Yuki had the upper hand as he tightened his icy hands around the tiger's throat. Kazar struggled and clawed, creating deep gashes within the iceman's flesh. And with one last heave, Kazar raised his hind legs and catapulted Yuki across the laboratory. In pain and full of rage and fury, the great cyber tiger paused to regain his strength, his head slowly turning towards the princess. She looked towards the iceman, who struggled to pull himself up. Then she turned back to face Kazar, whose eyes rested for a moment on a panel of buttons and instruments, just to Yuffie's right.
Yuki felt his ice crack and knew for certain that he could not sustain another blow like that. His consciousness seemed to flicker. And as he blinked his one remaining eye, he saw the laboratory, as it had been those many ages past when he had been a man. And standing where Yuffie stood now, was the woman, his beautiful lover, who smiled at him. Suddenly, he was conscious of many things. He knew for certainty what the panel of instruments were, that stood by Yuffie's side. And a name began to form itself at the tip of his tongue.
As Yuki underwent this transformation, Kazar padded slowly with menace towards the little princess.
“There is no escape now.” he spat. “Your snow cone is broken. Prepare yourself, little girl, to die.”
At that moment, Yuki scrambled to his feet, his pale luminous blood oozing from the many wounds from his broken body.
“The white button, Yuffie!” he cried. “Press the white button and run for the door!”
As Kazar made to leap, Yuki threw himself with one final desperate leap onto the enraged tiger. Pulling him out of midair, just as he was about to snatch the little princess.
“THE BUTTON! PUSH THE WHITE BUTTON!” Yuki yelled.
Coming to her senses, Yuffie looked to the computer panel and scanned its surface. There were so many buttons, some light, some pale, some dark. But there, there it was, unmistakable. A large, white, round button with the word `DANGER' printed in words beneath. She took one last look at the fight beneath her and pressed the button down as hard as she could. The synthetic voice sprang into action:
“Danger. Danger. Evacuate the flight chamber. Light blast commencing in t-minus ten.”
Yuffie ran up to the door of this ship as lights flashed all around her. This time, the door opened easily. And running inside, she turned into the cockpit, and sat down on the chair, strapping herself in. Through the ship windows, she could see Kazar and the iceman fighting to the death, locked in an eternal deadly embrace.
“T-minus eight.”
“Place select destination.” The synthetic voice spoke in the cockpit.
“Wutai! I wanna go to Wutai!” Yuffie stated.
“T-minus five.”
There was the sound of grating stone above her and an aperture opened in the roof of the laboratory as the ship slowly began to rise from the platform.
“T-minus three.”
Yuki could hear it now; his name. His lover looked at him lovingly.
“Your name…” she whispered.
“T-minus two.”
“My name…” Yuki replied. “My name…is Vincent.”
“T-minus one.”
Kazar the Great let out a final, terrifying roar as from all directions, light blasted through the chamber, vaporizing everything and propelling the ship with speed through the roof and into the early night's sky.
From where Yuffie sat, she could see a flash of light…and then everything went dark for a moment.
Nothing could have survived that…she thought to herself. As she sighed, she noticed what at first she thought was smoke, rise from the crater beneath her, as she floated in the purple sky. But as it rose higher, she could see it was a mist made from water vapor that moved and formed a cloudy cushion around the plane. She felt into her pocket for Vincent's eye, and seemed to hear a voice.
“You are on your way home, Yuffie.”
“Is that you?” Yuffie heard herself ask.
“I know who I am now.” The voice replied.
“And I know who I am too.” Yuffie replied. “I am Her Serene Highness, the Princess Yuffie, the White Rose of Wutai. And my place is at my royal father's side.”
The little airship rose higher and higher, and from this height, she could see the curve of the great Planet's surface. And in the distance, the golden jewel of the sun began to slip below beneath the horizon in an explosion of flamingo pinks, tangerines and soft blues that shaded upwards into the smoky purple of the night's sky. Above her gleamed the cool white crescent of a new moon, as she flew at a steady pace, towards Wutai…and Chekov…and her father.
Home.
Author's Note: Leviathan has been displeased lately. He will not rest until he receives more reviews! This he commands! Or else be prepared to endure his wrath and face death under a massive tidal wave. Mwa-ha-ha!
 
 
 
1