Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Lost in the Dark ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Final Fantasy Fanfiction

Lost in the Dark

A Final Fantasy IV fanfic

"Pain."

That's a word I know, and say to myself all too often. I also see it a lot. I am a Dark Knight of Baron...it's my duty. The king...he's lately been ordering me to steal crystals from villages...villages that have done us no harm. It sickens me to the heart. I may be a dark knight...but I still feel all the emotions dark knights should not. I pity. I care. I'm such a fool and a coward. I questioning the king...the very man who took me and raised me like a son. I feel so bad for doing so. But have been his orders...they are so unjust. I want to stand up to him and tell him my disgust...but I can't. Such would be treason and I would be beheaded. Then Rosa...she would be miserable. She loves me. That's just more pain I must cause. As a dark knight, I can't return her love as much as I want to. I want to cry sometimes...just because of all the pain. But I can't show weakness...not for my kingdom...the kingdom I still care for.

My friend Kain, a dragoon, and Rosa are both very worried for me. I don't blame them. What if your friend was in pain...and you knew, but couldn't help them? I hear Rosa almost everyday when she sees my melancholy face, the face I have after killing innocents, and says, " Oh, God...Cecil, are you alright?" or something to that effect. Kain isn't as worried...he knows I'm capable of handling my pain. But I think he really wants to help. Ever since that day he forsook the dark sword for the dragon lance, I could tell he would stick by his beliefs...and sticking by and helping your friends is a belief he feels strongly about. Rosa should just move on to Kain and forget me...Kain loves with Rosa with a deep passion. He's been jealous of me somewhat for years now over that. And I would really like to help...but again, I can't. It all runs back to pain. A concept, which those using the dark sword must become very familiar with.

Now I'm...afraid. Every time I do a dark deed, I feel a piece of my sanity slipping. The dark powers I use are taking me...soon, I won't care how many people I slaughter in a day...they'll just be more casualties in a brutal, meaningless fight. I long to be a Paladin sometimes...to rid myself of the smell of blood. I would apologize to each and every person whom I've hurt. I want to forsake my dark sword and my now dark king...I want to wield swords of light and protect people. I never wanted to kill in my entire trade...it's no longer meaningful. Crystals, magic, weapons...to hell with it all! Nothing deserves this pain for any reason. But I'm just a cowardly puppet now...To be used by the king. But I'll not show my fear. My crew, the Red Wings, must see me in good condition to be in good morale. But I'm still afraid on the inside. My dark power...my pain...it may one day consume my heart and me. What will I do then?

I have been ordered by the king to steal the crystal in Mysidia and kill anyone in my way. I can already feel my dark powers forcing my sanity down...a desire to kill is stirring in me. My pain is resurfacing. I will repeat this cycle until I die, from what it seems. I will forever be lost in the dark.

And thus begins Final Fantasy IV.

Written by,

Adam Kowalski

Copyright 2004 Adam Kowalski. Cecil, Kain, Final Fantasy, and all other Squaresoft or Square-Enix characters, titles, etc. are property of Square-Enix. All other things in this story belong to me. I wrote this for entertainment purposes only, not for money.