Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Mercantile Law ❯ Drunken Ramblings ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

[Author's Notes:: First, I'd like to say that the Final Fantasy series and all of its characters do not belong to me. I merely own copies of the games. And a wonderful plastic model of Auron affectionately dubbed "Auron-Doll." He sits upon my TV.

However, the idea for this story is mine, which, put simply, means "no takey." It's not often I come up with the storyline for a fic that I actually like, and would really appreciate it if that was respected. Yes. So respect it… Now, dammit, respect it now!

*ahem*

Also, I have to warn that there will be spoilers. Tons of them. In fact, this chapter is so leaden with them that any gamer who has yet to beat X-2 will seek me out and brutally murder me. So…please don't read if you don't want to know the ending…any of them.

And on that note, I haven't gotten the perfect ending, and so I can't really say I'm an expert on the game or anything. So if any relatively important details contradict anything, just ignore them and call the fic AU, if that'll ease your mind. As far as I'm concerned, though, this fic is a continuation, and takes place a few weeks after the game ends.

Anyway, sorry for the somewhat long Author's note. ^_^ Enjoy the fic.]

I - Drunken Ramblings: the True Source of Knowledge

The idea first occurred to Rin as he listened to Gippal's drunken ramblings. The two Al Bhed, joined by Cid and Nhadala, had met in Gippal's chambers in Djose to discuss recent events and the state of their people. Good intentions quickly turned into another excuse to get drunk, however; thus, the saké had flowed. Liberally.

The conversation had easily drifted from the furthering of the Machine Faction's research to speculations on the sex of machina. (It was obvious to Cid that the larger, four-legged models were male, while the two-legged ones were female.) Rin had neglected to join in these dialogues, choosing instead to sit back and listen; feeling, as he remained mostly somber, like he was spying on his friends.

Soon, however, Gippal suggested playing Sphere Break, and some of Rin's unease dissipated. He had slipped his sphere from a pocket, running his thumb over its smooth exterior and simultaneously warning Gippal of his expertise. Cid and Nhadala had decided they were too old to learn any new ways to loose gil and had stumbled into a corner to down a few more jugs of saké.

Within a few minutes, Gippal had learned the basics of Sphere Break and was eagerly trying to best the older man at his own game. He was only halfway through his quota with three turns remaining when he brought up the subject of Vegnagun; complaining that defeating that monster had been easier than breaking Rin's sphere.

The merchant had looked up, suddenly interested in the conversation. The few splatterings of information he had regarding that particular machina were sketchy and, most likely, not altogether true. He had subtly nudged Gippal into telling more, discovering that, in fact, it had been the High Summoner herself, and her faithful sphere hunting duo, that had actually downed the beast. Gippal puffed up and explained that he and Nooj had held their own against the machina; that the victory was not solely Lady Yuna's. Rin had nodded agreeably, motioning with his free hand for Gippal to continue. With the other, he brought his glass to his lips, letting the saké rest coolly against them before gently setting it back on the table. In a smooth, inconspicuous movement, he ran his tongue over the moisture on his lips, delighting in the subtle flavor.

Gippal lost his first game of Sphere Break, instantly demanding a second. Once he had settled into it again, he let his mind stray back to their interrupted conversation. He told Rin of the aftermath: How the girls had gone on to fight the mastermind, Shuyin, while he and Nooj carried Baralai out of harm's way. He outlined the walk back; the beauty of the inner Farplane, and its stretching roads leading, presumably, into nothingness. When drunk, Rin noticed, Gippal had a tendency to overuse his poetic license, something the merchant had never thought the man had ever possessed in the first place.

Gippal had paused in his monologue to concentrate more fully on the game, giving Rin a chance to process this new information. Always on the lookout for interesting tidbits, Rin questioned his friend again, this time inquiring directly about the haphazard roads leading down to the Farplane.

"Oh sure," Gippal had said, "They didn't really lead into some bottomless pit. They led up into the temples, you know?"

"Temples?" Rin repeated the trick of not-actually-drinking the saké.

Gippal nodded enthusiastically, his spiked bangs flopping comically. "Yeah. That's where all the fiends came from."

Rin accepted this with an uninterested air. "Every temple?"

His question had caught Gippal in the middle of gulping down half a glass of saké, and it took the man some time to answer. "S'far as I know. We went down in Bevelle." He shook his head. "It's kinda scary when ya think about it. But once Baralai jumped, all we could do was follow."

The inklings of a plan already forming in his mind, Rin continued, leading his friend away from this singular topic. "Speaking of Baralai, how is he doing?"

"Oh, yeah, he's great," Gippal paused, leaned in conspiratorially, and winked. "He's more than great, if you catch my drift."

Rin smiled kindly, quietly informing Gippal that his final turn had just ended.

At that moment, Cid and Nhadala stumbled back over, supporting each other with unsteady arms. Cid's body suit had, purposefully or not, come unzipped almost down to his groin and Rin was offered a sight he could have lived the rest of his days without seeing.

The merchant stood, politely excusing himself, tactfully forgetting to collect his winnings from Gippal, and left the room, heading directly to his waiting hover.

It took Rin the remainder of the week to completely flesh out his plan of action: He would connect all of Spira through a single route. It was true that the main roads reached from one end to the other, but if he was correct in his inferences, this would be a far shorter path; one that would negate the use of hovers, shoopufs, and the majority of chocobos. It would also allow him to establish yet another Travel Agency.

From what he had gathered from Gippal, Rin had concluded that the Farplane was just the route he was looking for. The temples provided already established entrances. If use of his road became widespread, bazaars and inns could be set up within them; bringing life back to the too-empty stone buildings.

The fiends occupying the paths could be dealt with easily. Travelers were already accustomed to their blight. Those unprepared for battle could hire out guides. There were plenty Youth League and New Yevon members just itching for a chance to fight; Rin could pay them to do so.

He didn't imagine he'd have much opposition. New Yevon might not approve. In fact, Rin was counting on them to protest. He was defacing their temples, as well as the most revered place in all of Spira. Even if it was only the outskirts he was defacing, he was still treading amongst the dead; and, to top it all off, bringing tourists there. Yes, Rin foresaw trouble, but he looked to it as a fresh challenge: something to be undertaken as a sort of game. This was how he had reached previous goals; it was a system proven time and time again to be effective. And Rin loved things that worked.

By nature, Rin was a man of considerable patience, but he was also determined. If it took him years to complete this task, he would toil until it was utterly complete and could run smoothly without his constant supervision.

With this blueprint in mind, Rin was ready to truly begin.