Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Monophonic ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Random, very strange Cloud/Zack/Reno thing going on here. Feel free to turn away now, but if you don’t read with an open mind, please!

Warnings: Yaoi, mild language, mild angst
Disclaimer: I do not own these characters.

Monophonic
By: cassie_k

Zack is in love with Cloud.

He feels things, does things, says things he ordinarily wouldn’t, and all of it seems to spark from a wayward glimpse of the bluest of eyes or the most adorably spiked hair. Cloud is oblivious, too, and that makes Zack want him all the more. After all, Zackary Donnovan isn’t one to shy away from a challenge.

Zack knows his limits. He’s been told when it’s too uncomfortable, when he’s gone too far or when it hurts too badly; Reno tells him so. And Zack trusts Reno enough to decipher what he can and cannot do with Cloud. And he hasn’t even done much--a strangely lingering touch of the hand, a lustful smile, the slightest brushing of his body against Cloud’s. He was gifted with estranged facial expressions or the occasional question of, “Zack, are you feeling all right?”

Zack doesn’t want to ruin his progress with Cloud, so he releases frustration during his time with Reno.

Reno, the spirited, vulnerable redhead who will try anything at least once. Reno, the smart-mouthed yet endearing Turk-to-be who keeps Zack awake at night when Cloud does not.

Zack likes Reno, but Reno loves Zack, and Zack is positively smitten with Cloud.

They’d met a while back, Reno and Zack. It was so clichè, though neither seemed to care, so long as they were able to spend a bit of time together afterward.

Zack often wonders if Reno will ever learn of his infatuation with Cloud Strife. He wonders what he’ll do in response to Reno’s shock and disbelief. When that time comes, Zack will worry then.

For now, everything is so impossibly balanced.

Cloud ignites Zack in ways that Reno couldn’t dream, nor could anyone else, for that matter. And whenever this happens, the SOLDIER isn’t able to get quite enough of the feeling.

But Reno does things that Cloud wouldn’t dare imagine. He doesn’t mind that Zack arrives at the early hours of the morning, demanding what Reno’s constantly willing to give. He doesn’t think much into his actions while lowering to his knees in the darkened, abandoned halls of ShinRa H.Q. or following Zack toward the bedroom. He’ll never give a damn because Zack means more than life to him, and whatever Zack wants, Zack gets.

Reno will wait until it’s painful, and he has the sneaking suspicion that that isn’t very far off.

Zack is sitting at the foot of Reno’s bed, toying with his clothing. He turns every now and then, only to come across a mess of red hair against a city of pillows and sheets and blankets. He smiles, once again discovering Reno’s true beauty, which seems to only arise when he’s dreaming, away from reality. Zack appreciates that.

Not like Spike, though. Nothing like Spike.

Cloud won’t be surpassed, Zack figures. Cloud is far too gentle, far too precious and far too skilled at stealing hearts. Reno doesn’t stand a chance against Cloud, and Zack has decided this as well.

And Reno is suddenly awake, caressing Zack, whispering so spellbindlingly into the SOLDIER’s ear. He intoxicates Zack, as he always does, and is soon between his knees, as he always is.

Zack’s hands are entangled within locks of bright fire, moaning, wanting. This is so familiar to him, though it’s empty, and he finds himself falling victim to images of a rare yet perfect smile upon such an angelic face. He’s thinking of Cloud when he should be thinking of Reno. He notes to make sure that he pays for that somehow.

When all is done, Reno is lying beside him, humming a song. He’s content and satisfied and so sadly unaware. He reminds Zack that he’s done nothing to deserve this.

And Zack likes Reno, really. He’ll go out of his way in order to be with him, to hear his voice, but he’s in love with Cloud, and he isn’t sure that anything can change that.
_____

A/N: So what do you think of my first Final Fantasy fic EVER!? I love these three. And I know that this is really short but it’s leading up to something else. Catch my drift? This is like a prequel/sequel sort of thing to something bigger that I’m working on, and I know I say that a lot, but...come on. LOL. Anyway, please review! Thanks.