Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ My Brother, My Blood ❯ Burmecia ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Final Fantasy IX belongs to Square.
 
Chapter 2
 
/Why are you waiting here? / Shiva asked after a long silence. I frowned at her.
 
“Did I ever say I was waiting?” Shiva smiled, and though the `ice queen' had not completely lost her glacial reputation, the smile was scarily gentle.
 
/Why do you linger here then, child? / I started to reply then I found I had no answer to her question. I managed to glare at her. She had taken to calling me `child' as it made her feel superior.
 
/You're afraid to go back/ Shiva declared, pointing at me accusingly. I shivered as she pointed. She had just sent a mild Ice spell in my direction, and though it was not enough to injure, it stung and I glared again as I felt snow trickle down by back. She smiled apologetically and I shrugged it off.
 
“I am not afraid...I just feel there is something to do here” I grumbled.
 
/In a place that you partly assisted in destroying? / She said sceptically. I cringed at her tone. She was right. I myself didn't understand why I wanted to stay. It sounds odd, but I couldn't force myself to leave Burmecia, feeling that I had something to finish.
 
“Well, they made a good job of rebuilding it” I attempted to defend myself and Shiva just snorted and retreated to the back of my mind, muttering to herself. I smiled and looking around at the reconstructed city. I was perched on the balcony, looking down at the people going about their daily business.
 
I had made my way to Burmecia after I had left the tree and gone to Madain Sari. Lani had attacked me, insisting I was out for the bounty now on her head. A bounty on a bounty hunter...ironic isn't it? After I had told her that she could hand herself in to collect her own price, she had been quiet enough for me to explain who I was and what I was doing, she had been suspicious but with some reassurance from Shiva, who spoke through my mouth, much to my annoyance, she finally accepted that I was not out to kill everyone. She had reluctantly told me what had happened to Zidane's intrepid group. I had only been interested in one person though. I had asked her what happened to Zidane, and she just said that he vanished a few years ago. I had taken the boat that was underneath the house and headed for Alexandria, planning to get it over and done with before I really did chicken out.
 
I had been caught in a storm and swept to the shore near the `Sandy Tree house'. I had walked to Burmecia, dealing with the monsters on my own, as, much to my relief, I had not been stripped of my magic.
 
“I just don't know...” I whispered to myself, leaving the balcony to escape the rain. I shook water out of my silver hair, tail flicking slightly. I had to keep it hidden, as everyone would link the tail to Zidane then to me. I pulled the cloak over my shoulders with the hood and swept down the stairs and into a small bar attached to the inn. A bunch of locals were slumped over tables and leaning over the bar, chatting up the girl behind it. I sat in the corner, so I could see everyone coming in and out.
 
/What are you doing? / asked Shiva, reappearing in my mind.
“Picking up conversation, seeing if there's anything helpful I need to know”
 
/Oh dear/ She sounded worried, and I looked up towards the door that had just opened. I swore quietly, cursing my stupidity. That rat-woman, Freya had just walked in, Fratley in tow. Lani had told me that she owned the inn!
 
/Keep quiet/ Shiva advised, fading away.
 
“What do you think I'm doing?” I hissed, but she was gone. I leaned back, relaxing so as to appear as normal as I could. I watched them carefully. If there was one thing I prided myself on, it was my ability to read emotions from facial expressions. Freya was laughing, relaxed, content, as was her companion. I knew that they would be less happy if they knew I was here, and for once I was grateful for the female body. As Shiva had said, who would think that I would change into a girl?
 
“I think I remember that...” I looked up. Fratley was nodding at what Freya had been saying, and she burst into delighted laughter. I stood, rubbing my head. They both glanced at me. I nodded to them and swept out the door, aware that Freya had also stood and was following me.
 
“You seem familiar...” She commented as I stopped at the town entrance. I turned and my hood took that opportunity to fall back, revealing my face. I cursed everyone from myself to Alexander mentally. Her eyes widened and I knew she had recognised me somehow.
 
“Kuja” She ground out, her voice tight. I sighed and snapped my fingers. Shiva's physical form appeared beside me, hands on hips and face annoyed.
 
“Kuja, what have I told you about calling me in public? Anyone could...see...” She trailed away, looking at me before turning to regard Freya. “I suppose you want me to save you from being skewered”
 
“If you would be so kind” I replied, almost smiling at the look on Freya's face. She managed to look confused, angry and scared at the same time, a combination that, on her, looked hilarious. Shiva swept over to her, and I could see the rat-woman fighting the instinct to run. Shiva explained things to her, while I thought about what would happen if Freya didn't believe her and got to me before Shiva could do anything.
 
“Very well” Freya spat out, looking at me with intense hatred. I couldn't really care less about what she thought. I just wanted to find Zidane. She led me outside the town then rounded on me, demanding an explanation. I told her as thoroughly as I could.
 
“What are doing back then?” She asked.
 
“Wouldn't I like to know. Shiva refuses to tell me. I think I'm here to find my broth...Zidane” I corrected myself. Freya frowned.
 
“How do you expect to find him when we've been searching for 5 years and haven't found a trace of him?” She said.
 
“No idea. I'm going to if it kills me” I said. She sighed.
 
“Very well...but I still dislike and distrust you though” She warned, her eyes flashing. I held up my hands, shaking my head.
 
“I don't care about what you think of me. I have a task to do and I intend to do it, regardless of whether his little group want to kill me or not” She glowered at me and I gave her an angelic smile before turning away. I walked into the inn, gathered my few things and left, strolling out through the iron gates, with Freya hot on my heels. I turned to her.
 
“What are you doing?” I asked her.
 
“I don't want you coming back here. The people are suspicious” She replied. I pulled the feathers (I still had them) out of my eyes and shrugged again. I dumped my things on the boat and turned to her.
 
“Where do you suppose I go?”
 
“Lindblum” She replied “I don't want you bothering Garnet until necessary. The regent should help you if you tell him you have my support” She said stiffly. I nodded to her and the boat pulled away.
 
After several hours of travelling, I pulled up against a beach, a glint having caught my eye. I leaned down, picking up the dagger lying there. It was a mythril dagger, Zidane's trademark. I looked around for the other one. He always had two, but there was only one here...he would never leave one behind. I ran my hand over the blade, surprised when it cut my finger. It can't have been lying here long then...I frowned and tucked the dagger into my belt.
 
“Zidane...hang on my brother...where ever you are”