Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Paths We Walk ❯ Prologue ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Timeline: The prologue is one year after Advent Children; chapter one is a year after the DoC.
 
Author's Note: This story is the rewritten story of “In the Absence of Darkness” I appologize for any ooc-ness in regards to the canons.
 
 
Paths We Walk by Phalon/Mikomimaru
 
PROLOGUE
 
I can barely remember who I was...
Was I ever really ever alive?
Was I human?
Did I have a family?
 
"Doctor! There it is, the brain waves are stable!"
 
It is said that in the absence of light,
Darkness prevails.
Could the other saying be true?
In the absence of darkness,
Light Prevails?
 
"Breathing normal, heart rate normal... She's beginning to wake up!"
 
No... Without Darkness,
There is no light.
And without light,
There is no darkness.
Push and pull.
So why...
Do I, exist?
 
A young woman, no older than eighteen stood within the tank. Her mako green eyes fluttered open. She was as nude as the day she was born with long white hair. She had been trapped for nearly two decades, the traumatic experience of it all, destroying her mind. It would be an amazing thing if anyone tormented by Jenova was able to turn out to be the same person they once were. Alas, that was never the case. To not remember, it was a small mercy for the young woman.
 
"Jenova," one of the assistants whispered.
 
Another scientist kept a close eye on the young woman's vital signs. Behind her stood four Turks, who were accompanied by the President, Rufus Shinra who had completely recovered from his Geostigma only a year prior.
 
Suddenly, the readings on the panels began to show something erradic that was occurring within the young woman's body. The young woman began to appear to have a seizure as the green mako liquid began to darken. The skin seemed to release something which appeared to have the same consistency as ink.
 
"She's going into cardiac arrest!" the head scientist yelled. The assistant attempted to free the girl from the pod with little success in their strained efforts.
 
"Tseng, Elena, release her," Rufus immediately spoke up. He wanted to keep his investment. If she did die, then billions of gil would be down the drain.
 
Tseng and Elena had already begun to move forward, using the butt of their guns to crack the thick glass. After several different tries, it shattered, and water gushed out, along with the girl herself. Her body was covered in what appeared to be black veins, from under skin. Her hair was no longer the silver white but pitch black. She began coughing up water, no longer seizing.
 
"It's time to go." A voice fluttered in the young woman's ears but it was unheard by all others.
 
'Who are you?' The confused teenager asked in her bewilderment.
 
"Don't worry, we're family." Another voice spoke, a happy-go-lucky tone there.
 
"Okay," the young woman muttered.
 
The doctors quickly approached the young woman's body and found a pulse. "She's alive but I don't think she has much time left, her body completely rejected Jenova," One of the doctors spoke aloud.
The doctors spoke so quick to one another it became a blur to the girl as she shifted in and out of consciousness. Before the girl's eyes she could see two figures... A man with a large sword strapped to his back while the young woman was dressed in red and pink, at least from distortion that she was able to gather.
 
The room seemed to suddenly fill was an explosion of light at strand of the lifestream wrapped around the young woman and spirited the girl--woman away.
 
"What just happened?" Rufus Shinra demanded, as it escaped everyone's notice that a barely conscious girl just escaped, into thin air none the less.
 
"I'm not sure how to explain it," one of the scientists finally spoke up, they couldn't stop shaking.
 
Hundreds of miles away from the location of the Shin-Ra building. The young woman with pitch black hair and mako green eyes found herself in a bed.
 
"You're awake. Are you alright dear?" A voice asked.
 
Mako colored eyes did their best to focus and looked up at an older woman. "Yeah... I think I am." The young woman said. "If you don't mind me asking, where am I?"
 
"Don't you know?" She asked watching the young woman who shook her head. "Gongaga. I'm Mrs. Fair. What is your name?" The older woman asked.
 
"It's--," She began and stopped. The young woman racked her brain to try and come up with it. Finally she admitted, "I don't remember."
 
"Then we'll have to just pick one out for you then," The older woman spoke with a smile.