Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Resurrection - Rebirth of a Foe ❯ Making Ends Meet ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Four - Making Ends Meet

F
or once in his life, Squall did not find a reason or need to hold back his anger or his hatred. To see Seifer before him, in the weak state that he was, made Squall despise him all the more. In front of him Zell had his fists up, ready for battle. Mentally he wished Zell would charge at the 'traitor' to them all, and end his miserable undeserving life. After what Seifer had done? He did not have the right to live. But something inside was holding him back. Restraining him from drawing out his gun-blade to create more bloodshed. Was it Instructor Trepe, who's hand held him by the arm to stop him from advancing any further? No, it was not a physical feeling Squall had, but a mental and perhaps an emotional feeling. Rinoa perhaps? Yes, and maybe even Ellone. Whatever it was, Squall quelled his anger enough to let Quistis remove her hand from his arm. But his body was still tense.
If he says one word to annoy me, one false move... I swear I'll end his life right here, right now. How the hell did he survive anyway? Resurrected from the dead?
Squall wondered to himself.
Fortunately for some people, they were able to hold back better than others. Unfortunately in Zell's case, seeing Seifer just short-circuited his temper and Zell charged at the 'Sorceresses Knight' in quick speed.
"Bastard!! Dunno what the hell you're doin' still alive, but Ifrit help me if you're given a chance to explain!!" Zell stormed just inches away from knocking Seifer square in the jaw. Selphie had rushed forward to stop Zell from inflicting any pain. Although her nanchaku was lethal, so could Zell's punches be and she was happy that she was not in the receiving end of his blows.
"Zell, no!!" Selphie cried applying all of her strength to stop Zell from approaching any nearer to the stairs. "That's not the way to do things!"
"Yeah, well it's not like his way sorted anything out!!" Zell said roughly shrugging Selphie away from him, but grateful at what she had done. "Man, you never give up do you?!" he said to Seifer. "Can't take a hint the first time?! The number of times we had to fight you, geez! Are you soo blind that you can't see nobody wants you alive?! After what you did to the world, man if those fights with us didn't kill ya, I'd be happy to do it now!!" Zell started for the stairs again, and again Selphie came forward to restrain him.
All this time, Seifer just took in the scene before him. Squall's cold face, Zell's face seething with anger. Instructor Quistis whose expression appeared blank, Irvine the 'sharp-shooter' who scowled at him. And Selphie, little Selphie who stared at him with an expression mixed with anxiety and disappointment. These people, these very people before him now were his brothers and sisters long time ago and Matron his mother. But now they were all against him. Despised his guts and his very being - except for Rinoa perhaps. She cared enough to take him in and nurse him better. Seifer knew it was his own fault. He was the one who turned against them. Became a totally different person, serving under the control of Ultimecia - the sorceress from the future. Did he hate Squall? Maybe, or maybe it was more of envy than hatred. Yes, that was what it was, Seifer envied Squall. Envied his talents and envied him. It was said you couldn't change a person unless they wanted to change. Seifer had never wanted to change, nor had anyone tried to. If he stopped his childish name-calling, and stopped his brash and egotistical manner, then he wouldn't be Seifer anymore.
To distinguish a person from the rest, that person had to have their own unique personality - which was true for everybody in the room. Squall wouldn't be Squall if he began to show his true feelings for all of his friends - that would be... wrong! Zell, the energetic puppy who bounded at every opportunity, Selphie, so free-spirited that she looked out of place in a military academy. Irvine, Mr. Suave and play it cool with the ladies. And Quistis, the bossy person who commanded that people did as she said.
Seeing Zell again made him grin. His grin broadened when Zell made another attempt to grab hold of him. Chicken-wuss, you crack me up, Seifer thought in his mind. But now wasn't the time for name-calling or jokes. He could see that everyone had questions written all over their faces, and Rinoa was powerless to help him with the explanations. Even she did not know the full story.
"Give him a chance to explain himself," Quistis said quietly which earned a sharp look from everyone else. She shrugged at them helplessly. What else could she say? Killing Seifer would not clear things it would make matters worst. From the stairs, Seifer sent a grateful smile to his ex-instructor but received a cool blue gaze in return.
"Could we go outside?" Seifer asked. Being in the small house made him claustrophobic, and he needed some air to breathe. Without waiting for a reply, Seifer left to go back upstairs and returned with his trademark trench coat with the red cross-sword on the left arm. Squall noticed that he had brought his gun-blade with him, and wondered briefly whether Seifer intended to use his weapon. Shrugging, Squall followed the others out of the home of the Forest Fox and towards the exit of the town. Even if Seifer did intend to use his weapon against him, he had more than just Squall to answer to. He had SeeDs to answer to also.
Seifer continued to walk ahead and stopped a little outside the town of Timber and stood at the shorefront in Mandy beach. His eyes swept across the length of the beach, surveying the distant islands and the sea lazily rolling in and out. He took a deep breath and faced the five SeeDs and Rinoa. They looked back at him expectantly and drew back in caution when Seifer drew out his gun-blade and dug the tip of the sword into the sand. Squall eyed him with suspicion. What was Seifer up to?
"I'm not gonna kill you," Seifer said sharply. I'm not that stupid. "Maybe it's better if you asked me questions and then I'll answer them-"
"What'cha doin' still alive?!" Zell demanded, not waiting for him to finish his sentence. It was a fair answer wasn't it? No point running around in circles.
I see Zell hasn't grown up since I last fought him,
"OK... fair enough question. Uh, after the onslaught of Ultimecia, I was basically left for dead. I came to, only to find myself swept up on a beach - Mandy beach. I realised that Timber was near by... knew that Rinoa was there. I came to find her."
"And?" Zell prompted.
"She took care of me, what else?!" Seifer snapped his temper returning. "Sorry. She helped me to get better."
So that's why she hadn't returned,
Squall thought. Rinoa was busy nursing Seifer back to health. No wonder she wasn't keen in telling me why. A frown soon appeared on his face. Was Rinoa and Seifer... They couldn't be! What was that hug back there in the town? Didn't that mean anything at all?
"You turned against, Seifer," Selphie said in a hurt voice.
It's not a surprise
, Squall said to himself. With his Mr. Big attitude, I was wondering when Seifer was going to stray from the straight path.
"I know," Seifer said in a low voice.
"You betrayed us, man! Those name-calling, 'chicken-wuss' and all. You chucked us in the D-district prison. Tortured Squall, led the Galbadian against Balamb Garden. Captured Ellone, united Rinoa and Adel together! You're a sick bastard you know that. You shouldn't be a given a second chance! I wouldn't trust you with my life. You're on the wrong side, man. Totally on the wrong side." Zell said, ending with a shake of his head. Sure Seifer had teased him and roused his anger, but that was typical Seifer, wasn't it? Seifer had been who he was since Zell knew him from the Orphanage. If he hadn't change before, what was the probability of him ever changing?
Sighing with disgust, Zell turned and headed back for the Ragnorak. He wasn't going to stay to hear Seifer's bullshit. It wasn't worth it. The others seemed to agree with Zell, leaving the beach with betrayed and disappointed eyes. Only Rinoa remained behind and placed and comforting hand on Seifer's shoulder. She felt his pain and his anger, and sympathised with him.
"Where are we heading off to now, Squall?" Selphie asked, anxious about the look on his face.
I don't care, as long as we get far away from this place. Away from him, then I don't care.

"Maybe now's a good time to visit Matron again?" Irvine suggested, walking up the ramp to the Ragnorak.
"Guys?!" Rinoa's voice called to them. She ran towards the ship and stood breathless for a few minutes. "W-where are you heading off to?"
"The Orphanage!" Selphie enthused before Squall could stop her from saying.
"Could I come?" she asked meekly.
"Yes!" Selphie replied again, giving no chance for Squall to say anything.
"Could Seifer come?" Rinoa asked, a little too hopeful.
"No!" Squall said, leaving nothing to be argued about and disappearing into the ship. No way was Seifer going to come. Unless Seifer wanted a death-wish...
"Squall, please!" Rinoa's voice pleaded.
"Sorry Rinoa. Gotta agree with Squall on this one." Squall heard Zell say.
"I promise you he won't do you guys any harm. Besides, he's still too weak. Please," Rinoa continued. "If ever I wanted you do something for me, something important, it would be this. I'm not asking much, just that you grant me this one wish."
Not asking much!
Squall silently thundered. Rinoa, you're asking me the impossible. Even if I'm able to bottle up my feelings for Seifer, the other SeeDs, in particular Zell, would have no hesitation in making his feelings clear.
"Well, Squall?" Quistis asked expectantly. "Can Seifer come?"
Sighing inwardly, Squall clenched, and then unclenched his right fist. "Fine," he said reluctantly, his answer coming out in a shaky breath. "He can come. But-, but if he crosses my path, makes me mad Quistis, there's no guarantee that Seifer'll reach the Orphanage alive."
The lighthouse soon appeared above the horizon, it and the Orphanage being in the Centra continent. Selphie gave a smile, her hands gripping the steering of the Ragnorak tighter. Behind her, Zell was practising his moves - a scowl on his face told her that he was not pleased Seifer was on board. Irvine - his hat titled down, was silently contemplating on which girl he would next try his luck on. Instructor Quistis still wore that worried frown on her face - the source of her worry most probably being Squall and also Seifer. Selphie sensed the bad vibes on the ship, causing her to frown slightly herself, but then perked up as the Orphanage drew nearer.
Matron was sure to be pleased to see them all again. Though what she would say at the sight of Seifer was anyone's guess. Determined not let anything get her down, Selphie slowed the Ragnorak down and landed the beast just outside the Orphanage and flipped the button which would open the hanger. All of them piled out of the ship, with Squall taking the front and Rinoa and Seifer at the back. The Orphanage was now a shadow of it's former self, since any of them remembered. It was still intact with quite a few crumbling walls here and there and also creeping plants entwining themselves around the pillars.
Matron - Edea Kramer came out and greeted them with genuine happiness and warmth they knew her to have. Her hair was worn down as they remembered her to do, and she wore a long a long black dress that touched the ground. This was the Matron they knew before she turned sorceress. Edea greeted Seifer with the same warmth and kindness as she did with the rest, although she did steal a worrying glance to Squall in particular. Was this a really good idea? Squall, unlike Seifer was known not for his quick temper, but for his subdued and distant attitude. To herself, Edea wondered when Squall would crack and a fight between two of her 'children' would break.
Seifer dared not approach Squall or Zell, or any of the other's. Even though they were all back in their childhood 'playground' with Matron again, it did not however lower the hostile barriers they had towards him. Rinoa have him a sympathetic smile, and all Seifer could do was shrug. To beg for their forgiveness would be very un-Seifer like. To ask for their understanding was more appropriate. Whether any of the SeeDs would attempt or try to understand was debatable. Giving Matron an awkward smile, Seifer left the inside of deteriorating Orphanage and down the trail that led to the beach. There he could silently think to himself without the threat of Zell's fists pummelling his face in. Seifer could easily defeat Zell in combat. Whilst Zell had his martial arts skills and gloves, Seifer had his sword skills and gun-blade. There was no doubt to who would be the victor. Drawing out his gun-blde, Seifer drew meaningless shapes and objects until the sound of voices and footsteps caught his attention. Seifer raised his gun-blade almost in a reflex action, pointing in the direction of the intruders who interrupted his moment of solitude.
His awkward smile returned to his lips and his gun-blade put away. With an amused look, Seifer watched Rinoa trying her best to drag an unwilling Squall towards the beach. No doubt she was trying to persuade him to talk to Seifer. Seifer shook his head. What Rinoa was asking Squall to do was the impossible, the unthinkable.
"C'mon Squall," Rinoa said in a pleading voice. She took Squall by his gloved hand and dragged him in the direction of the beach.
"Rinoa, this is stupid!" Squall said, making sure she heard the disagreement in his voice. "I did you the greatest favour of letting him come with us, and now you're asking me to talk to him?!"
"I just want you let your feelings be known to him," she said, her pleading eyes searching his.
Seifer already knows what my feelings are for him,
Squall thought to himself. "He already knows how I feel," he said jerkily.
"Then try to understand him. Ultimecia? The sorceresses. Squall, Seifer wasn't entirely to blame for what happened. Like me I was controlled. Both of us were at the mercy of Ultimecia. She supplied Seifer with empty promises, the very promises that Seifer clung onto - his dreams."
How does she know all of this?
Squall wondered. Oh, yeah. I forgot she spent a whole year with him. Enough to pour out his heart to her. Of course he didn't suffer, he didn't cause any bloodshed. Rinoa, Seifer was to blame, why can't you see that?
Encouraging Seifer and Squall with a smile, Rinoa left them alone to sort out their differences and the problems that had been plaguing them all. With fingers crossed, Rinoa returned back to the Orphanage with hope hanging in her heart.
"So," Seifer began, unsure of how to begin what was sure to be a very difficult conversation. "Squall, how've you been?"
Wouldn't you like to know how I've been feeling these past months. Troubled - by you, you traitor! Bastard!
Squall couldn't help it; this was what was whirring in his mind right now. And if Seifer wasn't careful, he would soon be seeing the tip of his own gun-blade.
"Tell me-" he struggled to form and say the words. "Tell me about your dreams."
"My dreams?" Seifer questioned with a surprised look on his face. Which dreams? He asked in his mind, a sly smile giving way on his lips. My romantic dreams, or my dreams for the future?
Seeing the smile on his face made Squall narrow his eyes. The old Seifer was back. Squall vaguely remembered Seifer mention something about dreams on their field exam in the town of Dollet. He had asked Squall whether he had ever dreamed before, and that had made Squall wonder. Were dreams just extended thoughts of the imagination? A vision of a person's hopes and dreams, or a person's deepest, most personal fantasies? To just one person, dreams could be all of those, or none of them at all. To Seifer, it was all of them. Deep beneath his brash and egotistic exterior lurked something unimaginable. More so, it was something that was sure to bring laughter to the faces of Raijin and Fujin - his comrades, his disciples. Until Seifer went over board, that was.
So you want to know about my dreams, eh, Squally?
Well, let me ask you a question: "Have you ever dreamed before?"
There it was the very question that Squall was asked before in their mission in Dollet. Did Squall ever dream? He knew he did a lot of thinking - it was a well-known fact to anybody that was close to him, but that hardly could be counted as dreaming. Squall wasn't sure if he was to be worried or not, because the realisation dawned on him that he did not think he had ever dreamed before. He just took each day as it came. Did he believe in fate? That was a good question too. Squall was beginning to suspect that Fate had reunited SeeDs and Seifer together again. One thing was for certain, Squall definitely did not, had not wanted to cross paths with Seifer any time soon. Not ever, if that was possible. Obviously it wasn't, and here he was now, standing in the desolate beach next to the one person he loathed the most, and he was asking him questions!
This is stupid,
Squall thought. This is going nowhere.
"Squall, you didn't answer my question-" Seifer said, and Squall didn't have time to. The sound of Zell's voice broke their conversation short as he ran towards them, kicking sand as he went.
"We've got a major problem Squall!" Zell said, panting to regain his breath.
"What? What's happened?" Squall demanded, instantly jumping into the role of leader and commander.
"Esthar. Laguna. Missing." was all Zell could manage to say. Even Seifer was beginning to be impatient.
"Zell, what's wrong?! Who's missing?" Squall said, his cool exterior breaking.
"It's Ellone, Squall. Someone's taken her; we received a radio signal from the Ragnorak. It was an urgent message from Laguna to return to Esthar as soon as possible." Zell informed him as they hastily said their goodbyes to Matron and boarded the ship. Seifer ran with them in silence, to which Squall made no comment on. They would finish their conversation later. As for Seifer tagging along - he could come in handy in battle - not that Squall was ready to forgive him yet. Seifer still had a lot of explaining to do. Maybe Squall wasn't going to deprive him of a chance to explain himself after all. Though right now, that was the least of his worries. Right now, they all had to focus in getting back to Esthar and finding Ellone. It was definitely déjà vu all over again.
This is so wrong,
Squall thought as he and the rest of his friends broke into a run and entered the Presidential Palace with worried and flush faces. As they entered, Squall could hear the voice of Laguna - Mr. Play-It-Cool - just about losing his coolness to anger and confusion.
"This is just great!" Squall could hear Laguna say, presumably to Kiros and Ward. "First we get a re-enaction of the Lunar Cry, and then Ellone goes missing - or kidnapped should I say? As long as Ellone exists, she'll never be safe. It's like a bad obsession. Guys!" Laguna's face slightly brightened with a look of hope.
"We received your radio signal. What happened?" Squall said as soon as everyone was assembled in the room.
"During the attack of the monsters at the mall, we later found out that that was merely a distraction, a diversion to get to Ellone. While all of us were busy fighting the monsters, someone took her away. Nobody noticed that she had gone until one of the people who were helping with the parade asked where she was. Damn! I should have known something like this would happen on the anniversary of Ultimecia's defeat." Laguna said, banging his fist on his desk. Why oh why oh why?
"Any idea where they could have taken her?" Quistis spoke up.
Laguna shook his head in sadness and frustration. "Nobody knows. The invasion of monsters at the mall had grabbed everyone's attention. Nobody saw Ellone being taken away."
"I know where they might have taken her," a voice from within the sombre silence said. Heads turned and several pairs of eyes fixed their gaze on Seifer who was silently listening to what was going on. He ignored the piercing glares he thought Squall and Zell sent him, and continued to have his say. "When I was still a Sorceress' Knight-" a soft snicker from Zell halted him in mid-sentence. Watch it Dincht, I may be in control of my mind again, but that won't stop me from skinning you alive if you push your luck. A dirty look in Zell's direction was enough to pull Zell in a short leash. Seifer allowed himself a smile when he saw Zell's face crease into a frown. "When I was still a Sorceress Knight," Seifer continued. "I remember that Odine had a particular interest in Ellone."
Laguna nodded, "Yes, he wanted to conduct tests on her. He seemed to be very enthusiastic about her 'powers'." he said.
"Odine might have her. Or..." Seifer's voice trailed away, earning an uneasy look on Laguna's face. Laguna did want to know what the other possibility that lay in the 'or' could be. He had a fair idea already.
"Or, it could be you-know-who,"
"Do you think this is linked Sorceress-wise?"
Seifer shrugged, "It's just a guess. You yourself said that it's almost the anniversary of Ultimecia's defeat, what a great way of reliving the nightmare she set free to the world?"
He has a point,
Squall reluctantly admitted. But why, whoever they were, would they want Ellone? Ugh! He had a sudden thought. Had Ultimecia returned from the grave to avenge her defeat? Was she attempting to harness Ellone's powers in a last ditched attempt to live in a time-compressed world? If it was, then the world was in serious danger than ever before. But how could it be? They had destroyed Ultimecia, destroyed her and all of her cronies that came before her. How was it possible? It just didn't make sense.
So absorbed in his own thinking that Squall didn't realise that his name was being repeated over and over again.
"Squall? Hey, Squall? Squall, snap out of it!" it was Laguna. "As it was me that hired you to assist in the safety of the parade, I am asking you, as President of Esthar and as a friend, to help me get Ellone back. If there is a possibility that we may encounter Ultimecia again, I want to give you the opportunity to back out now."
Silence in the President's office. They were SeeDs, trained by Garden to be hired like the mercenaries they were, they were an elite force with high combat skills, and they were the SeeDs who had defeated the biggest threat to mankind. Squall did not need time to think. He knew what his response would be.
"We'll do it," Squall said. We're gonna get Ellone back... Sis, we're gonna save you. Just hold on.
"I'm coming too," once more heads swivelled. This time Seifer returned the stares, his blue eyes unwavering. This is a little personal thing between me and Ultimecia, it's pay back time.
A familiar glint appeared in Seifer's eyes, and Squall had no problem in noticing it. He wondered for a moment what it would be like for Seifer to return back into action, to feel the adrenaline and excitement pumping thought his veins once more. Seifer was probably relishing the thought, with that grin - almost evil like - it was hard not to misinterpret what must have been going through his mind.
Focusing his mind at the task at hand, Squall organised the team into groups. In his mind he had a sneaking suspicion that Matron may be affected if it was Ultimecia they were dealing with. He debated with himself on who should accompany him to search for Odine, and who would return to the Orphanage to keep an eye on Edea, in case anything did happen to her. Squall certainly did not want Seifer out of his sight; he did not trust him enough to let him go with the other group. But neither did he want Zell to be in his group. Squall was having a hard time already keeping his anger under wraps, he was not sure if he would be able to keep Zell away from Seifer to not cause a fight. Finally deciding, Squall lifted his head and addressed his team.
"Right, Zell, Seifer and Instructor Trepe will come with me to search for doctor Odine. The rest of you: Selphie, Irvine and Rinoa go back to the Orphanage and watch over Matron. There may be a risk that Ultimecia will reach out to her, and turn her against us again. We'll keep contact via radio. If there's trouble, call, we'll try to respond as quickly as we can. Weapon upgrades can be done now before we depart, remember to junction GFs and magic. We'll take the Ragnorak and drop the second group a the Orphanage, and my group will take the Ragnorak to aide in our search.
"Alright!" Zell burst with sudden energy, his fists waving madly in the air. "Time to get-it-on!!"