Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Resurrection - Rebirth of a Foe ❯ Flying Antics ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Fifteen - Flying Antics

"C
o-ordinates, Zell!" Selphie hollered from her position in the pilot seat.
"Erk, co-ordinations are a bit cranky, Selphie," Zell returned, banging the device against a metal panel. "Damn tracer. Stupid! It's died on me!"
"Way to go Dincht," Seifer cheered from his seat.
"Shuddup Almasy. I don't see you doing much!" Zell snapped. "Ha! Got it back!" he said triumphantly. "Hey Selphie, it's north-east of the Centra Ruins."
"Got it!" the auburn headed girl confirmed, locking onto the location. "Approximate arrival 10-15 minutes."
"What mode are you on, cruise speed?" Seifer inquired from the back of the bridge. "By the time we arrive, Odine would have compressed our world, and that's bye, bye to us."
"Full speed ahead BABY!"
"Sometimes I wonder about Zell. Those hotdogs have a remarkable effect on him." Quistis said thoughtfully.
"Hyperactive is the word you're looking for, Instructor," Seifer supplied.
"His motto: keep on moving and don't stop." Irvine commented.
"Heheh, one day he'll keep on moving until he collapses like a seriously whacked out Chocobos that's been trekking too far." Seifer snickered.
"I am so gonna kick you're sorry ass, from here to the next galaxy!" Zell stormed, his Ehrgiez gloves raised ready to punch Seifer in the face.
"Might wanna stock up on those hotdogs, Dincht. For one thing you're gonna need all the energy-"
"Only 'cos you're sooo fat! Your ass is so fat you take two seats up, I bet I couldn't even do my Meteor Barrett move on you 'cos you weigh as much as an Iron Giant!"
"Go Zell!" Irvine cheered.
"Shut up, cow boy!" Seifer snarled, pushing Zell to one side. "Or I'll kick your sorry ass outta this world and into the cosmos!"
"Yeah, well you just try beatin' a bullet to the brain from my Exeter. Let's see if a phoenix down brings you back to life or not, loser."
"Loser?" Seifer echoed. "I'm looking at one. Two even. Try flirting with a Moomba and it'd run like hell, quick time."
"Urgh! Irvine's gay?!" Selphie squealed from her seat up front.
"Man, you're dodgy. That's why you were looking me up at Balamb!" Zell said horrified.
"Stupid, bastard!!" Irvine yelled, drawing his weapon out and ready to fire at Seifer's grinning face. "I'm not gay! Who said a Moomba was a guy anyway?!"
"Moomba's are from the people of the Shumi village, isn't it?" Quistis said. From what she recalled from her last visit to the Shumi Village which was deep underground, depending on whether a person of the Shumi tribe had served well in his life, he changed into a Moomba to further assist in people's lives. "I assumed that those from the Shumi tribe were all male. I saw no females."
"I'm not gay!" Irvine insisted the barrel if his Exeter pressing against the temple of Seifer. "You ass-hole! Look what'cha gone and done!"
Seifer shrugged and continued to grin. "Oops, my bad," he said chuckling from the thought.
"He's only winding you up, Irvine," Quistis said, coming towards to the cowboy to pry his weapon off his hands. "Just ignore him,"
"Awwe, Irvie can't take a joke?" Seifer taunted.
"OK Seifer, that's enough," Quistis instructed, smiling despite herself.
"Hey, Squall disappeared again?" said Zell whipping his head round from side to side trying to find a glimpse of their commander.
"I don't think he's had enough time to be on his own," Quistis spoke. "I've deliberately tried to interrupt his trail of thoughts, only to stop him from thinking about Rinoa. If he does that, he'll tear himself apart."
"He shouldn't worry. We're gonna kick Odine's ass anyway. We'll save Rinoa and Matron. Never fear, the SeeDs are here!!" Zell said a little on the loud side.
"Did someone deafen you as a child? Don't think you realise what a big mouth you've got." Seifer said. "A big mouth for your beloved hotdogs, as well as your voice." He added in a lower tone.
"Selphie, how are you doing for time?" Irvine asked the girl up front.
"What month is it?" Quistis suddenly spoke up, changing the subject that all of the male members of the team, minus Squall looked at her with blank faces. "Come on. What month is it?" she repeated.
"Oh, month!" Zell said, finally understanding what was being asked. "Sorry, uh, its August isn't it?"
"August? Yeah, yeah, it's August," Irvine nodded. "Why do you ask, Quistis?"
The 19-year-old girl shook her head, waving her hand in a dismissive gesture. "There's a date in this month that's important. I, I was just trying to remember what it was, that's all... oh what can it be?"
"Squally's birthday?" Seifer asked a midst the brief silence.
"That's it!" Quistis exclaimed and clapped her hands in delight. "Yes, Squall's birthday!"
"It's on the twenty-third, isn't it?" as far as Zell could recall. "Heey, how comes you even remember?"
Seifer smiled smugly. "I remember many things my dear friend," he stated. "I bet you'd be surprised if I told you that I know yours too."
"No not really," Zell replied flatly. "I'd be worried and scared. Knowing you, you'd probably pull a prank with Raijin and Fujin."
"True," Seifer conceded. "In fact, I know all of your birthdays." He said.
"When's mine then?" Zell challenged.
"March the seventeenth," Seifer answered easily.
"Oh,"
"Instructor Quistis' is on October the fourth, messenger girl over at the pilot seat over there is on July the sixteenth. And cowboy... and... cowboy's..." there the blond haired boy's voice trailed off.
"Hah! You thought you knew mine, huh?" Irvine said smirking.
"That's 'cos you're too a minor insignificant person to remember," Seifer said. "Heheh, just kidding. Of course I know yours, cowboy. It's on November the twenty-fourth."
"Damn! That is worrying!" Irvine muttered and tilting his cowboy forward.
"And I know his," Zell said. "December the twenty-second."
"Awe, chicken wuss. You remembered! Going to get me something?" Seifer sniggered.
"You wish," Zell retorted. "My Gil isn't worth spending on you." Score for Z-E-L-L!! He was definitely getting good at back chatting!
"I ask because may be we should arrange a surprise birthday party for him," Quistis suggested.
"Awesome idea!!" Zell enthused. "Yeah, we could use the ball room to hold it in."
"Doesn't Squall hate surprises?" Irvine asked.
"Uh, I don't think Squall kindly takes to surprises," Quistis now said, recalling what everyone knew about the youngest SeeD of the team.
"To hell with that! He's a party pooper, anyway," Zell said. "It's for him, so he should be grateful."
"I'm sure he-" Irvine began, only to be silenced by a nudge in the ribs from Quistis. The bridge door opened, and in stepped Squall. All stared after him guiltily as he slowly stepped in, his face showing curiosity and intrigued.
"What?" Squall said, glancing from one face to another. "What's up with you guys?"
"We're just happy to see you Squall," said Selphie.
"Right..." said Squall flatly. "That's why Zell has a look on his face like a cat who swallowed a canary."
"Ah, you're hopeless!" Seifer griped.
"Shut the hell up, man!!" Zell snapped. "Have a go at Irvine, why always me?!"
"'Cos you're easy target," Seifer replied.
"I'm surprised you two aren't best friends," Squall commented dryly.
"You serious?! Hell, I wouldn't be his best friend even if you gave me all the Gil in the world!" Zell declared.
"I'd offer not to be his best friend, or not know him for free," Seifer said. "Hah! That's a joke. Squall, you takin' the piss? 'Cos if you are, then I'd say you've found your sense of humour."
Squall did nothing more but shrug and allowed himself a small smile. He did not allow himself to fret over Rinoa or Matron. They had beaten Ultimecia before; they could do it again. As for Odine the oddball the 'mad scientist'? Well, the SeeDs would find a suitable punishment for him. It was he who started all the grief in the first place.
"Soon approaching targeted location," Selphie announced.
"We've got to prepare ourselves and make sure we don't get caught out like the last time." Squall instructed. "We've got a total of sixteen Guardian Forces, not counting Odin/Gilgamesh, Phoenix or Boko. All of us are able to junction at least two each, then four of us can take a third."
"I'll take Shiva and Siren," Quistis said raising a hand.
"Brothers and Carbuncle are mine!" Selphie asserted.
"Let me take Leviathan and Cactuar," Irvine said.
"Cerberus and Diablos go with me!" said Zell.
"Fine, Quezacotl and Ifrit go with me," Squall said. "What about you Seifer?"
"Don't care. Ah, jus' gimme Bahamut and Tonberry," he said.
"That just leaves Eden, Alexander, Doomtrain and Pandemona,"
"If anybody has no objections, I'll take Eden," Selphie said.
"Sure, Selphie, anybody else?" Squall asked.
"I'll take Alexander then," said Irvine.
"Doomtrain," Zell said.
"OK, I'll take Pandemona," Quistis said.
"Right, get junctioning. Zell, I want you have Recover on your abilities, OK?" Squall directed. "Uh, Selphie, have Item on you. Quistis and Irvine, make sure you are aptly supplied with aura magic. And Seifer-"
"Will Ultima, Meteor, Flare, Tornado, Full-life and Aura, do commander?" Seifer inquired archly.
"Er... yes, fine," Squall muttered. "Remember to watch your backs. I have a feeling Odine has some nasty trick in store for us."
"You're not alone on that, Squall," Quistis assured.
Everybody else nodded to second that thought.