Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Resurrection - Rebirth of a Foe ❯ Puppets on Strings ( Chapter 19 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Nineteen - Puppets on Strings

C
rick. Crick
. The crack on the glass casement grew, creeping upwards and downwards leading the cylindrical to split in the centre in a jagged slanting line, teetering backwards and then finally crashing to the ground, shattering into a million sharp shards. No amount of super-glue was going to get those pieces back together again. Casting Protect saved Seifer from becoming like a Death Claw's handiwork, the glass bouncing harmlessly from the shield that deflected them with every contact.
Above, the tall elegant figure of what had been an extremely powerful sorceress stood solid. Squall half expected her eyes to flock open in an eerie fashion, and half expected her body to come toppling down on top of Seifer's fallen figure. Ultimecia's body did neither.
What did happen instead was, a haze of purple light emerged from the centre of her upper torso, forming a white ball of white, tinged with purple ionised energy. The ball of energy hovered momentarily in mid-air, like it was indecisive of something. On the ground, Seifer stirred. A scratch from a flaw of glass, the Protect spell had not managed to guard him against, grazed across his right cheek.
The ball of white light did not linger longer, seeming to notice that Seifer was reviving and in control of his mind and body. It hesitated again, glided towards Selphie and hovered in front of the girl's face. The light backed away from the nanchaku wielding SeeD, darting towards the instructor teacher who was eyeing it with equal suspicion and curiosity.
Without warning, the light disappeared in between her ribs, diffusing, coursing throughout her body when none of it could be seen any more. No sound escaped Quistis' lips; she closed her eyes and shuddered at the cold sensation that was seeping into her fingertips and into her toes. It felt odd, it didn't feel right. She wanted to bail out, but this thing wouldn't let her.
"What happened?" she heard Squall ask Odine when she gently rose a centimetre or two into the air, her eyes remaining closed. "That ball of light, what was it?"
"Ah, Squall, we gotta do something. It was her!" Irvine said, the pupil of his eyes widening. "That, that purple thing was Ultimecia!"
"Lay off it Irvine!" Zell said, throwing an exaggerated doubtful expression.
"It is her," Irvine insisted. "Isn't it?" he turned to the doctor who smiled an estranged smile that caused him to shudder. I'll take that as a yes. "Ultimecia's trying to inhibit another body," Irvine went on with his theory.
"What's wrong with her own?" Selphie asked.
"From the beating we gave it when we fought her? I'm not surprised Ultimecia wants to find another body to crash out in. That body there?" he nodded at the looming frame inside the smashed glass casement. "That's just a temporary vessel till a suitable one is found. The physical part of a person, or anything that breathes, is the spirit, the soul. That's what counts - the thing that makes you, you. You're very essence. Her spirit must've taken a beating with the battle with us; otherwise it's still intact. Now's she's trying to find a new host."
A clap startled the cowboy finding the doctor applauding him on his theory. "Very good, SeeD. Have you ever thought of entering the field of science and research?"
What? And become like you? No thanks... mustn't disappoint the ladies.
He grinned, faked a sad smile and shook his head. "Alas, I get the impression that the life of a SeeD and shooter is where my destiny lies."
"But, she tried to go after me," Selphie said. "She didn't try to-"
"Probably 'cos you're too small, Selphie," Zell suggested.
"Zell!!"
"What? Maybe it's true. Or maybe 'cos you're too lively; y'know, active. Maybe she wouldn't be taken seriously enough in you're body."
"So you're saying I'm not serious enough?" she said, hands on her hips with an eyebrow raised.
Would you think I'd be lying if I said yes?
"Don't take it the wrong way, Selph! No, I mean that, uh, y'know... y'know... you've got such an open face and everything." Zell quickly said. "If, if you look at Adel, yeah, well hell anyone would think she was all business, 'cos y'know... she's not exactly the best looking person."
"OK." said Selphie, satisfied with the reply.
"Kurse you SeeDs!" Quistis spat, her face pulled into a feral grin.
"Whoa!" Zell said not intending to say so out loud, but did anyway. Where her blue eyes were meant to be were now a white light and purple. One word to describe her appearance: freaky.
"You try to interfere as always! Diverting the course of what is meant to be!!" Ultimecia cackled through Quistis' lips, and felt the girl resist her control. Do not make futile attempts, SeeD. She told her, they are useless against me. In this body of yours I am able to take on the world!! Another evil laugh followed.
Zell stole a sideward glance at Squall, shrugged and did a rotating motion next to his right temple. Loopy, his face read.
Squall couldn't agree more, frankly didn't know what to do. How were they suppose to lure Ultimecia out of Instructor Trepe's body without harming Quistis herself? I hate this leader thing, I hate making these tough decisions, he said to himself.
Ultimecia raised a slender, high-cut gloved arm and pointed at Selphie.
"Selphie, man, she's pointing at you," Zell said to her.
"I can see that," Selphie returned. "What'cha think she's gonna do give me the Evil Eye?"
"This isn't a joke!" Squall said sternly.
"Who said I was joking," she returned, all innocence.
"Keep your eyes diverted!" Irvine instructed. "I don't like the way she's staring at you."
Quistis' mouth opened and mumbled a torrent of words in Latin, continuing to stare at Selphie. She turned the hand from a pointed finger to an open palm and beckoned the girl in the pale orange dress to come to her. Selphie paid heed and did so, her steps no longer containing the zest of life she always had, rather like a sleepwalker's step - zombie like.
"Uh-uh," Zell shook his head and came forward to take her by the waist, stopping her from getting any nearer to Ultimecia. "Selphie, she's gonna screw you."
The swift uppercut punch to the jaw caught the boy with the obscure tattoo on his right cheek in astonishment. Zell stepped away, massaging his jaw, opening his mouth and moving his jaw to check that it was still in place and not dislocated.
"Geez, Selphie," Zell muttered, releasing his hold and stepping away. "Didn't know you could pack a punch like that."
"No!" Quistis cried out, managing to find her voice to speak. "Stop it! Leave them alone!" then she was lost again.
"You OK?" Irvine asked, placing a hand on Zell's shoulder.
"Shut up, man!" he snapped, rubbing at the sore spot where Selphie had whumped him. He shrugged the hand off his shoulder roughly and took a step away as if in disgust.
"Hey, just asking if you're OK," Irvine said creasing his brow and making a 'humph' sound.
"Does it look like I'm OK?" Zell inquired acidly, jerking at the redness of his jaw. "You call that O-K?"
"I was asking, no need to get hyped up about it!!" Irvine flared angrily. What was wrong with showing your concern for anyone?
"Well I'm NOT OK, OK? Happy now? Has that answered your question?" Zell half shouted in irritation and anger. "I'm not OK 'cos I got bashed in the face by a chick I thought was Selphie!"
"Cool it you guys," Squall intervened, stepping between the two before a battle ensued between the two SeeD members. "We gotta-"
"Butt out of this, Squall," Irvine said, pushing the other boy aside to gain a better view of Zell's head.
"Who do you think you are!!" Squall snarled, pushing Irvine back with a shove that sent the cowboy reeling three steps backwards.
"Irvine Kinneas!" he retorted with a sullen smirk, his Exeter out, ready to do some damaged.
"Give it your best shot," Squall taunted scornfully, drawing out his gunblade in an act of male bravado that nobody saw other than Odine who had that amused look on his face. "Like the pun?"
"Yeah, that's why I'm in hysterics," the cowboy derided. "Say good bye to your life, Squall."
"Say hello to your funeral, Kinneas," returned Squall, cracking a sinister smile while a finger was on the trigger waiting for the right moment.

Ouch
, was the first thought that came to Seifer's mind when he tried to move his body. The pain hurt, though bearable and he winced every time the pain hammered on a nerve ending. He could hear voices shouting and chilling laughter. He couldn't see because he had a pounding headache that caused a not fully focused image. It was all blurry like smudged paint that Seifer squinted against the fluorescent light bulbs trying to sharpen the image.
Quistis and her pink outfit came into view when his memory came flooding back. She had pushed him against the glass knocking the wind out of him. He was out for a few minutes until the screeching roused him from his comatose state, riling his already throbbing head.
Mind control,
Seifer guessed. Very clever manipulative mind control. Deceiving witch! The witch bitch! That made Seifer grin. He groaned from the effort of smiling, rolled to his side and levered himself up into a semi-standing position. Geez Quistis! He pressed a hand to his right rib, squeezing his eyes shut at the pain. Bruise there, no doubt, another one on my back. Great. Clouted by a girl. By Quistis. Falling for the girl was one thing, battered by her - that was a different thing all together.
He heard the chicken shouting in his all too loud voice as he always did - Zell had always intrigued Seifer, in the sense that he had an affinity to make him see red. 'Cos you're hot headed like he is, Almasy, he told himself. Oh yeah.
Raising his head too fast had been a wrong move for the blond boy. The room began to spin slightly, the background blurring to a mess. It feels like I'm having a bad hangover, a very bad one. Probably look like an utter mess. Great, great, great, great. He stumbled groggily to the right, his arms outstretched to grab something to help steady himself. I feel like shit, he told himself. I look like shit. Hey, whadya know I'm even talkin' shit! Hangover wasn't quite the word to define Seifer's sways and stagger - more of a pissed-like-hell condition 'cept no alcohol involved. Now when was the last time I went to a bar or pub for a drink...?

"You think you're Mr. Big, don'tcha?" Irvine said, eyeing Squall up from top to bottom. "Just 'cause you're Mr. Leader. Butt kisser!"
"Pathetic," Squall spat. "Least I don't wear some goofy hat that gets more insults than Zell ever does."
"Whatcha sayin' 'bout me?" Zell demanded, taking Squall by the furred lapel of his jacket.
"Nuthin'," he said shortly, backhanding Zell away.
Irvine made a sound of disgust and glared at the dark headed boy. "You've got an ego the size of Alexander!"
"That's meant to be big? If my ego is that big, then your ego is even bigger! It's as big as the Presidential Palace in Esthar! Probably even bigger."
"Don't cuss Alexander! Take what you said back, Kinneas!" Zell said, interrupting their row to come to the defence of his GF. "He's junctioned to me ya know!"
"Make me," Irvine stubbornly challenged.
The hotdog lovin' boy shrugged, slumping his shoulders in a resigned gesture and shook his head in mock sorrow. "Oh, well. Looks like I'm gonna have to punch you're face in. Nobody disses any of my GFs without coming through me. Remember before you blackout and have amnesia: you asked for it." the speech over, Zell drew his hand back and rushed at the cowboy.
Ultimecia was truly pleased, standing at arms length to admire her handiwork. Mind control was such an affective thing to use, it had a result of a collapsing set of dominoes. A little nudge to encourage movement and the rest was done automatically. What she had succeeded in doing was turning the SeeDs against each other. Their disputes and irrational bickering was what she enjoyed the most, knowing that these very teenagers, these young people were the closest of friends who depended on each other in battle, in life and in friendship. Friendship?! Ultimecia scorned in her mind. What was friendship when you had power? Yes, power... Power meant superiority, superiority meant obedience from nonsuperior subjects. Subjects, being the people of the world and SeeDs. The Selphie girl was by her feet - Quistis' feet - kneeling to its master in reverence and fear. The way it should be, Ultimecia thought with grim satisfaction. These SeeDs are nothing. Insignificant nothings!
She had power, not very strong; still enough to confuse the mindless SeeDs against one another. They had no idea. No idea at all! Weakness was not an option. Ultimecia despised weakness, it led to incapabilities, it made you a 'liability', and it showed lack of power and authority. This world needed a figurehead, one who would rule such a world of disarray. They needed her supremacy, even if she had to force her way to the top.
"Hold it!" Irvine ordered at the sight of Zell charging towards him, hands high, ready to do damage. A sudden thought, which hadn't occurred to him before, came to mind. Zell refused to stop and kept on going at the cowboy, ignoring his orders. "I said hold it!!" Irvine yelled, bringing the barrel of his Exeter level with Zell's eyes.
Zell skidded to a stop, his eyes dropping to the weapon Irvine held in his hand, he thought better and retracted his fists - for now.
"Alexander's my Guardian Force," the cowboy accused to the martial artist. "Alexander's junctioned to me, you moron!"
"Wa-, hang on, but I thought-" Zell screwed up his face, frowning at the accusation held against him. After a pause he spoke, guilt scrawled over his boyish features. "Oops, my bad." He shrugged and turned away.
"Where do you think you're going?" Irvine grasped him by the shoulders and spun him round. "Accusing me of dissing a GF that's junctioned to me."
"Then it's even worse coming from you, isn't it?!" Zell sarcastically replied, pushing the other boy away from him. "Nice thing going with your GF. What're trying to do? Start a mutiny with your Guardian Forces?!"
"The fu-, you don't even know what you're saying, Dincht! Alexander is my GF, Alexander is junctioned to me..." Irvine stopped shortly, muttered something unintelligible, then fell silent.
"Ha! See, you're in the wrong, asshole!" Zell said, dancing around him in circles. "You cussed you're own GF, and you're blaming me for your own stupidity!!"
"Ah, shut the hell up!" Irvine grumbled. "Sorry Alexander," he muttered quietly to his GF, hoping that the Guardian Force wouldn't hold any grudges against him if summoned.
Pandemonium was everywhere! Everybody was fighting crazily, irrationally, the same effect Berserk had on a person in battle. You had no control over your actions, couldn't summon, couldn't cast magic, all you did was attacked, attacked and attacked some more. Seifer had always thought either Instructor Trepe or Squall would be the ones to keep their cool, to not lose their heads - judging from the current state of them now, it seemed that he was the only one who wasn't eager to throttle someone in the throat. Yes, it certainly appears that way, Almasy. And you're gonna have to do something before the word SeeD becomes obsolete. Pity, I could've strangled Dincht and pretend it was the witch's fault.
Scrambling to his feet, Seifer located his gunblade to the far left of him. Odine, underneath his shelter-table enjoyed the performance Squall and Co. were putting up for him that he didn't notice a grey coat flutter by. Ultimecia was too busy toying with Quistis and Selphie to notice Seifer scrabble for the remains of Quistis Save the Queen weapon, the very same whip she had flung at him not long ago. A glance up in Odine's direction told Seifer that the doctor was pretty much occupied. And do you want popcorn with your front row seat of entertainment? He asked in his mind, seeing Odine clap his hands we glee. Pitiful little psycho, I'll get you later.
The pieces of Quistis' weapon were held in his hand. Seifer wondered for a moment on his next course of action. What he intended to do with the Save the Queen, how to stop this out of control fray that was going to result in deaths if Ultimecia's hold on them was not released, he didn't know. Seifer couldn't injure her; Ultimecia was, after all in Quistis' body. First her whip, then causing her bodily harm, uh-uh, think of a different idea, Almasy. One that doesn't require anyone getting hurt. Gee, how do I figure this one out?!
For a few still moments, the blond boy crouched still in his place in the shadows, arguing with himself whilst watching Ultimecia toying with everyone - the puppeteer controlling the puppets on their string. Bet she's getting a real kick out of this, he thought, winding the two pieces of the whip around in each hand, tightening them enough to hurt. What to do?
"Irvine's an asshole! Irvine's an asshole!" Zell had been chanting the same three words over and over again for the past three minutes, and Irvine had just about enough. He felt stupid; he didn't need to be reminded of his error every second! Luckily, Squall was the one who ordered Zell to 'shut the hell up!' and not him.
"I said shut the hell up!!" Squall growled angrily. There were limitations to his patience, with his patience running out on the expense of one loud-mouthed kung fu fighter!
"Shut up yourself! What I say is more than you ever say at all!" Zell fired back with his own spark of anger. "Better than 'whatever...' and 'whatever, that...' and 'whatever, this...'"
"Are you takin' the piss?"
"Who else says 'whatever...' like you do- OW?!!" Zell yelled, whirling round in the direction of where the object had struck him behind the head. "Irvine, was that you?!"
"What?! Don't get me started again!" the cowboy returned.
"Hey, chicken wuss!!" Seifer's voice came loud and clear over the silence that elapsed. He stood on top a pile of scrap metal, hefting a rock slightly smaller than his fist. "It was me,"
Ultimecia saw red and screeched. The boy was cutting short her fun, she would not allow her moment of triumph in coming this far to end so soon. Her attention averted the control she had placed on the SeeDs weakened and slackened. At her feet, Selphie fell to a heap by her side; exhausted at the energy Ultimecia had worn out of her. The three boys glanced about them wearing puzzled faces. Irvine holding his Exeter in his hand, asking himself why he had it out. Zell still wore a hint of anger on his face, relaxing his brow there and then and whipping his head from side to side in confusion.
Anticipating her next move, Seifer ducked out of harms way from the Ultima spell she hurled at where he was standing - barely missing his sailing coat.
"Not the coat!" he shouted at her. "Omega tried to shred it, I don't need a cranky chick like you to incinerate it!"
"Who's being cranky?" Zell joked at the wrong time.
"Instead of standing there, move your butt and help out!" Seifer snapped casting Thunder and directing it inches before Quistis' feet. Ultimecia shrieked angrily, hopping madly to escape the crackling of thunder beneath her feet.
"Insolent boy!" the sorceress within Quistis said, "you shall pay dearly for your trouble." another heavy dose of high level magic was blasted at every spot Seifer landed on, each time her aim becoming closer to his target.
Blindly Seifer cast Firaga, estimating where Ultimecia stood, missing within an inch of frying the girl's hair. Ooh, she is not gonna like me for that, Seifer told himself risking to take a peek.
Drawing her arm back, Quistis was prepared to surprise her 'knight' with a deadly Molotov cocktail of her reserved powerful spells finding that she was not able to bring her arm forward to obliterate the scoundrel who used to be so loyal to her. Something snagged her wrist, preventing her from doing harm. The eerie purple of her eyes blazed with ferocity not even Quistis possessed - or was conscious of. Irvine cocked his head to one side and grinned at the sorceress. With one hand he held his cowboy hat in firm position whilst with the other he held the end to the crude lasso he had fashioned using discarded electrical cable he had rooted amongst the other junk that lay inside the laboratory.
"I don't usually catch my women this sorta a way," he joked, "but some are so darn stubborn, I have to resort to this."
"You're diminutive hold shall not be particularly effective against the likes of me, SeeD!" Quistis' voice boomed, her rose coloured mouth pulling back into a truly evil, feral grin resulting in Irvine loosening his hold on the cable cord.
That wasn't Instructor Trepe, was it?
he wondered, mouth agape in worry and fear. Quistis laughed harshly, yanking at the lasso out of his grasp.
Irvine was not going to let their opportunity to free Quistis of Ultimecia so easily. The flying cable sailed towards her - what she had not anticipated was the cowboy to not give up so easily. Irvine lunged after the loose end of the cord, regaining possession of it in his cut-off black gloves, pulling back with equal force that Quistis stumbled forward from her standing position. Something melted behind the pale purple eyes, the colour fading to their proper sapphire blue colour.
"Irvine..." she whispered, her voice containing fear and hurt. "You're hurting me,"
His instant reaction to the girl's yielding voice was to remove the grip around her wrist, not before Squall managed to send a warning shout to him.
"Don't let go, Irvine. It's a trick. She's tricking you into-"
Quistis ignored Squall and his shouts, focusing her attention to Irvine who stared at her transfixed. "Irvine..." she said softly. "The cable hurts me. You're hurting me..."
"I'm sorry..." he replied, slowly letting the electrical cable go
A sharp whistle of a spinning object air sliced through the air twirling haphazardly with the intention of inflicting pain at Irvine. It did not strike the boy anywhere on his body - the metal spanner's object was to whisk the hat away from the cowboy's head, without it, Irvine felt cowboyless - out of role. His hat toppling away from him caught the attention Zell wanted to achieve. He knew what Ultimecia was doing, almost succeeding in doing. He was not about to let her play anyone for a sap - one thing SeeDs weren't, were stupid. Act stupidly, ask stupid questions, yes. Played for a fool, no.
"Irvine you moron!" Zell yelled, attending to Selphie to one side of the room. "Snap the hell out of the trance she's got you under and reel her in!!"
Tearing his blue eyes away from her face, Irvine determinedly tugged at the electrical cable making sure that his gaze remained averted all the way through.
"Release me you foul, wretched SeeDs!!" Ultimecia struggled in the bonds that held her tightly. Quistis sat on the floor on her knees like a trussed up Chocobo. Humiliating it was for her, but also important if they wanted to get Quistis back. "You shall not escape my wrath once I am free!!"
"Keep it coming. Big talk coming from you," Seifer sneered, jumping down the table he previously perched on, to come stand before the witch - cold sympathy and nothing more in his eyes. "You inhibit other people's bodies because your own is too weak to control. SeeDs are not stupid, I'm not stupid to see what you're trying to do with your mind-control to manipulate and use for your own will."
Ultimecia glared back at the boy with her eerie purple eyes. She said nothing for a moment, continuing to stare mutely at him. Her eyes changed from that unearthly purple to a burning shade of strange yellow. Seifer knew what she was doing. It wouldn't work on him because his strong will would resist the temptation offered to him, unlike before. He was just a boy back then... He would destroy the sorceress before the day was through. Unconsciously, Seifer lifted his gunblade, trance like - readying himself for the time when the blade would fall and pierce her stone, black heart.
"Seifer, no!!!" his name was called simultaneously from the other four SeeDs. Zell's voice rang out the loudest, bouncing against the walls of the laboratory. Zell did a double take, grimacing at himself. The way he had said Seifer's name - the thought brought back about a shudder he could not hide. Whoa, man. That was weird!
His gunblade fell from his side, hearing Ultimecia laughing harshly, mockingly at him. "I still have you, Seifer, my knight. You don't want to be a boy any more, do you? Escape your cage-"
"Shut up! Shut the hell up!! Leave me alone!" Seifer flared angrily. He could feel her pulling at his mind. He was afraid that she would have him again, afraid of what he would do to those around him. Hands blocking his ears, Seifer stumbled away from the kneeling figure on the floor. Too much for him to handle, especially with those eyes...
"Right, that's it!" Zell said jumping to his feet. "We get you out of Instructor Trepe, now."
"Make me," Quistis sneered, "SeeD,"
"Do you really wanna say that?" Zell asked. "Think about it. Irvine said that and I would've smashed his face in hadn't been for his excuse."
"I do not believe you," Ultimecia replied hesitantly. "The girl, she is important to you. You would not dare to harm her."
"Wanna bet?"
The blue of her iris' contracting and her pupils dilating in sudden fear at the sight of Zell's Ehrgiez gloved fist travelling at tremendous speed, right at her face, made her want to open her mouth in protest. Quistis opened her mouth in a silent scream, squeezing her eyes tight, waiting for the inevitable: the darkness to overtake her senses.
Inwardly, the sorceress screamed, flinging Quistis' hands to shield her face and block the incoming attack. She would not have another vessel destroyed with her spirit trapped inside. What Ultimecia over looked - rather was deceived by - was the fact that SeeDs, close friends did not, never abandoned each other, never cause them harm unintentionally: in the heat of battle, in complex situations, ever.
Casting herself up and outwards, Ultimecia left the vicinity of Quistis' body, her purple aura emerging from the young woman's body, ascending and then hovering above her. The way in which the white light, immersed in the purple glow pulsated from dark purple, to light, dark to light, gave the effect of a raging storm cloud.
Though he could not stop the momentum of his racing fist, Zell's instincts and reflexes were much faster than Irvine's ability to grab a gun and fire with quick precision and accuracy. While Irvine could not stop the bullet from hitting its intended target once the trigger had been pulled, Zell could however soften the blow from its supposed force, and did so now, stopping millimetres away from Instructor Trepe's heart-shaped, flawless face, punching her gently on the nose.
Zell retracted his fist to confront the spirit of Ultimecia. Ridiculously, the boy from Balamb performed a little victory dance, pointing at the stationary purple glow.
"Ha ha! Gotcha didn't I? Scared ya outta you're pants. Well, not literally... you don't have pants..."
Humiliation was not something Ultimecia bore well. To be fooled and humiliated by SeeDs at the same time, and with her superiority - it was down right degrading!! Angrily, Ultimecia darted at each SeeD, stopping the longest at Seifer and Zell in an attempt to cause physical harm - of course she could only do that with a body - Quistis' body - which was now being carried away from her reach by Squall. Before any objections could be said or any objections made, the ball of light flitted away, disappearing in a small air vent located in a corner of the laboratory.
With the witch gone, their priorities now lay with Quistis' fallen figure lying in a slumped position on the floor. They all hurried to her side, gazing down worriedly. Odine's presence forgotten. Quistis groaned at the dull sensation she was experiencing inside her head. It felt like a severe headache, her head wanting to explode from the pain. Burying her head in her arms, Quistis shut her eyes tight wishing the pain to subside, to leave her alone. She was not aware of what Ultimecia had done to her - the least of her worries at the moment! Unexpectedly the young woman began to sob into her chest. Everything seemed to be happening to her of the sudden. She felt so helpless that it disgusted her. She was a SeeD, a prodigal child to have gained her instructor's license at seventeen. Why couldn't she handle a little angst?
Having her friend's sympathy did very little for her pride - it showed how weak and defenceless she was regardless of her training and mean whip. A hand lay gently on her shoulder making her look up with a tear-streaked face that was normally cool and calm. So, this was what it felt like to be exposed and helpless. First the attack of the Ruby Red at the Esthar City mall, then almost a victim of Odine's planted bomb at the Deep Sea Research facility, now this? Was Quistis showing sign of ineptness? Should she quit whilst she was ahead of herself?
Wiping the tears away, Quistis sat up from her fallen state, looking into the blue eyes of Seifer. Funnily enough, in the weird way that it was he smiled a lop-sided smile, one that Quistis found encouraging and heart-rendering. She smiled back, composing herself as she did so.
OK, now that you got her smiling, Almasy. Whatever you do, don't ask her if 'she's OK'. That'd be the dumbest question of all time.
"How you feeling?" he asked cautiously. Until now, Quistis hadn't noticed that Seifer knelt down beside her, his black-gloved hand still on her shoulder. Maybe she should gently move away, to remove that caring touch. The fact that Seifer had no intention of removing his hand any time soon unnerved her, especially in the presence of Squall and the others.
"I'm fine," she lied with false assurance, attempting to stand to prove that she really was OK.
"Sure you are," Zell said flatly, frowning with concern when Quistis rose with unsteady feet and had to sit back down again with Seifer's help.
"Doesn't seem to be your day, huh, Instructor?" Irvine said sympathetically.
"No, not at all," Quistis said with a wane smile. "My Luck must be low,"
"No, just unfortunate," Selphie said, crouching down beside the instructor, a smile to encourage Quistis' smile to ease the pain that she felt.
"Instructor Trepe, I don't think you should-" Squall began to say only to be sharply cut off.
"Squall, no!" Quistis said, once more attempting to stand. "You need me. I'm fine, honestly-"
"Gotta side with Squall on this one, Instructor," Zell said in all seriousness. "What Ultimecia put you through, what she made you do- whoa, you gotta rest or you'll be in seriously bad shape. Be truthful to yourself and you'll see that you're gonna have to sit this one out."
"I don't want to disappoint you all," Quistis said her blue eyes melting.
"You won't be," Selphie soothed. "You're Instructor Trepe remember!"
Now Quistis did smile. If Zell was the person who could crack a smile in Squall, then Selphie was the person who could crack a smile in her.
The scrape of a table leg shifting against the floor caught their attention to the quietly attentive Doctor Odine trying to creep away unnoticed.
"Hey, not so fast!" Seifer said, throwing his gunblade in a javelin fashion to pin the scientist against the wall, several inches away from the floor. "I didn't forget about you,"
"Do you realise what you have done?" Odine asked them in the bizarre accent he spoke in. He ignored what Seifer said, instead eyeing each of them in turn.
"Another 'surprise' for us?" Irvine guessed under his breath to Squall.
I officially hate surprises
, Squall told himself. He wasn't sure if he could take anymore of these revelations that brought nothing but more anxiety and frustration.
"By forcing Ultimecia out of the SeeD's body," he pointed at Quistis. "You have made another option available to her; one that she was not considering having settled in an equably suitable vessel."
A time stretching silence elapsed, the sound of people's breathing accompanying the quiet stillness of the laboratory, after the aftermath of Omega Weapon and Ultimecia's havoc. There seemed to be too many of these quiet moments lately, one that lasted too long for anyone's liking.
The realisation of whom Odine was speaking of dawned upon Squall. He did not speak up immediately; too afraid to voice his thoughts and to be told he was right. Please don't let it be them, please don't... he pleaded earnestly to whoever was listening to his prayer of help. Squall did not need to worry about speaking up for Seifer and Quistis spoke up in unison, their voices matching the horror contained in the tone they spoke in.
"Rinoa!!"
"Right!!" Odine applauded as if they had answered correctly a really hard question and in doing so had won the ultimate prize of fighting Ultimecia in a final showdown, this time combined with the physical strength of an ex-sorceress, and the magical ability of another.
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Squall's mind screamed in fright and terror. Not Rinoa, please not her. She doesn't deserve this. She doesn't need to relive this whole nightmare again.
It was happening again, and the nightmare was very, very real. Squall's mind continued to ring shrilly and loudly, though not enough to block the voice of Nida's desperate voice from the radio he had in his possession. There was no mistaking the cries of terror in the background. Zell, Selphie and Irvine did not need to be told of where Ultimecia had sped off too, they simply knew.
"Squall, Balamb Garden is in serious trouble. We need you over here, stat. Ultimecia, she's..."
There was no need to for Nida to finish the warning sentence he was delivering, for Squall knew what was happening: déjà vu, a nightmare reborn - Resurrection - rebirth of a foe.