Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Resurrection - Rebirth of a Foe ❯ No Escape ( Chapter 22 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Twenty-Two - No Escape

T
rapped. No where to hide - no one to run to and no one to hide behind. Now Squall knew what it was like to feel cornered. No escape route, no nothing. He stared back at the expectant faces that looked at him and then looked away. How could he choose? He could never choose. It was an impossible situation. Rinoa or Matron. He didn't know who to pick. I pick select either of them; I gain one, but lose another. Whichever way it goes, it will be a lose-lose situation. Rinoa… Matron… I can't decide. "I can't decide," he eventually said, keeping his head bent low, eyes aimed at the floor to avoid their frowns much like his own.
"Squall, you've got to decide, you're the commander." Selphie insisted, reminding him of his role and position in Garden.
That's right. I'm the commander; I make all the decisions. I make the wrong choice; it's going to be me who'll take the blame. If I lose Rinoa or Matron, I'll… I'll… I don't know what I'll do.

"Squall come on," Selphie urged.
"I can't decide. I just can't." Squall bit out harshly. "How can I choose between these two people? They both mean too much me. To sacrifice a life, yet have the other is no consolation to the fact the Matron acted as the mother to me- to us, and Rinoa… I can't…"
"Let's not go rushing into things just yet." Said Zell, beginning to pace the room with his hands jammed inside the back pockets of his shorts. "Let's lay out a few things on the table first. Why has Ultimecia decided to use a combo of Edea and Rinoa as her body?"
"Because, in terms of physical strength, Rinoa is lacking in that department." Quistis answered slowly. "No offence to Rinoa, but Edea does have a stronger body whereas Rinoa is more fragile. On the other hand, because the powers of the sorceress has been past on from Edea to Rinoa, it is in the magic sector that Rinoa is an asset in."
"Right." Zell said, turning over an idea inside his mind. "Right…" he repeated.
"Right…?" Irvine encouraged.
"Hold on will ya, I'm still thinking!" Zell snapped.
"Next question is, which of those two would Ultimecia rather lose." Seifer spoke up to join in, in the discussion.
"I reckon her magic," Irvine put in.
"Ah, but Ultimecia relies on her magic to battle. Magic is her forte - every sorceress' in fact. Wouldn't she prefer to have that?" Quistis challenged, a palm outstretched suggestively.
"Yeah, but what use is that? If we get Rinoa out, then what has Ultimecia got left to fight with, her hands? I don't think so. She ain't no martial artist like me," Zell pointed out. "I think," he added, rather worriedly.
"Then we're stuck," Selphie said, her arms flopping by her side. "What're we going to do?"
"You've got to take something into consideration, though." Seifer said. He had his gunblade out, and was tapping its point on the classroom floor in a rhythmic motion. "Even though she hasn't got her own body, she's still very powerful, and I'm not talking about her ability to cast strong spells. The moment she realises what you intend to do, she's going to fight back. You try to separate them, you may end up causing more damage than you will with your physical attacks."
"Then what do you suggest we do?" Zell asked.
To this question, Seifer shrugged. "The idea of separation is a good one. If you were Ultimecia, what would you rather keep? The fighting power, or the stamina?"
"In my own opinion, I think we have a better chance of extracting Edea from the other two. The reason why I think this, is, one, Edea is more physically stronger like Quistis pointed out. And two, she's got us. Every single one of us she raised when we were still young. We're like her children to her. That's one big factor I think Edea has over Rinoa."
"But we care for Rinoa as much as we do for Matron!" Zell argued heatedly.
"Do you?" Seifer said, matching the shorter boy's look, stare for stare. "Pushed into a situation like this one now, who would choose - Rinoa, who you know for about a year? Or Matron, whom you've known for your entire lifetime?"
Silence.
"I don't think we should make a decision just yet." Quistis advised wisely. "We do that, when the time comes, we may be filled with remorse and regret on our decision. I say we leave it till we really have to make a choice."
Prolong the agony…
Squall thought, remaining where he was in front of his study panel. Either way I have to make the choice… A choice I know I won't be able to make. How can I? I can't. I CAN'T!!! The dark haired boy could feel himself losing control and he wished Rinoa were with him now to place her cool soothing hand against his forehead, with her smile that made the ghost of smiles appear on his face.
"Let's finish this," Seifer said unfalteringly. A glint appeared in his cold blue eyes - a sign that the fire was building up inside him. "All this leaving and getting it done later - I hate it. I want this over with. Delaying are for chickens."
"Hey-!" Zell started angrily.
"No," Quistis warned. "For once, stop this childish fooling around."
"On to the basement floor?" Irvine didn't needed to ask, but he asked anyway. The nod from Squall was answer enough for all of them.
"Wait," Selphie said, holding out her hands to stop anyone from leaving. "When you guys checked out the Car Park and Library, did you see Headmaster Cid among the students and faculty?"
"No, Selphie. Why?" Quistis asked warily, bracing herself for the auburn headed girl's response.
Selphie's face crumpled into one of worry and agitation. Nobody liked the expression on her face. "We… When we went to the 3F… To Headmaster Cid's office… To check on the students taking refuge there… Headmaster Cid wasn't among the group there. I was hoping he'd be in the Library or the Car Park, even. But if you say you didn't see him, then where is he?"

The question that Selphie had asked kept replaying at the back of his mind like some broken record player. So much, Squall began to feel angry when he felt that familiar sinking feeling nestle at the put of his stomach. He felt sick. Fretting over Rinoa and Matron was one thing. Questioning the whereabouts of the headmaster was another. He's probably hidden somewhere really safe, Squall reasoned quietly to himself. Or not…
The tension inside the elevator travelling to the basement floor, where Squall and two others had fought Master Norg, was beginning to get unbearable. Nobody wanted to say anything for fear of making the situation worse. Nothing could make the situation. That was what they had thought last time, and things had taken a turn for the worst. Best to think of nothing at all, not to think - not to think of anything good, not to think of anything bad. A clear mind meant sharper concentration, and focused mentality. Squall did that now, immediately feeling the tension leave his body.
When the lift slowed to a stop, and as the metal doors opened, Squall reached for his gunblade, getting the best grip possible on its handle. The rest did the same; intently anticipating what the scene before them should be like.

Nothing could prepare them for what they saw before them. Their worst thoughts had come true, despite banishing the idea that something as bad as this should happen.
"Headmaster Cid!" they cried in unison. The medium height of the headmaster in his white shirtsleeves, tie and cut-off jumper was clearly visible the moment they all stepped out of the lift. He was standing in front of the Edea's figure and Rinoa's face, quiet lost of words and simply not knowing what to do. He felt helpless.
"Ah, I see you have returned." Ultimecia remarked in her monotonous tone of voice, her eerie smile appearing on Rinoa's face at the sight of them. "I was beginning to get bored. Then dear Headmaster Cid came along to keep me company. Have you come to fight? I hope so. This day shall go down in history! Signifying the end of SeeD and the resurrection of death! Say goodbye to your childhood, your memories, your dreams!!! Pestilence, war, famine and death shall rule by my side. Reigning over this vanquished earth."
"Is she serious?" Irvine asked in disbelief at her very cliché speech.
Ultimecia turned to look down upon Squall. "Did you like what I did to your Garden?"
"That was not necessary!" Squall barked, breaking from the group and stepping forward.
"Was it not?" The sorceress from the future asked innocently. "I decided that some terror would do everyone some good. That is what you are all trained for, is it not, to face terror? Good practice, and you say it was not necessary?"
"You didn't need to get the rest of Garden involved. The conflict is between SeeD and you. No one else." Squall said. He wondered for a moment where he was getting all this courage from, for he knew that Ultimecia had the capability of obliterating him on the spot.
"This concerns the entire Garden!!!" Ultimecia screeched, suddenly feeling herself getting worked up. "This concerns all of you!!!"

"Whoa, you reckon she gets hypertension?" Zell whispered to Selphie as they looked on.
"Zell," Selphie muttered annoyingly. "Now isn't the time to be asking stupid questions!"
"Yeah, sorry,"

"Headmaster, get back! She's dangerous!" Squall shouted over to the man who stood defiantly before the sorceress from the future. "She could kill you!"
"I am well aware of that, Squall," Cid said calmly. He did not seemed fazed by Ultimecia's aptitude to destroy him. "I would gladly die endeavouring to save Edea."
"Foolish mortals of that you are!" Ultimecia hissed savagely. "This courage you show is all very endearing to behold. It is a pity I shall have to subject you to unimaginable pain. I shall make you pay for what you did to me. The countless number of time you have tried to thwart my plans. I tell you, I shall not tolerate it!" she shrieked now. "I shall make each and every one of you bleed!"
"Shut up, already!" Seifer's voice shouted over the quiet that ensued. "You're persistence- why do you bother?"
"My knight…" Rinoa's voice spoke softly. "My lost knight… Come back to me…"
"Hell no! This ends now you hear. No more torturing, no more of this control and manipulation."
"I fear I've lost you now…"
"I don't belong to you, Ultimecia. I was never yours. You took advantage of me. I won't let you do that to me again." Seifer said, shaking his blond head.
A wave of fury swept across the face of Squall's loved one, to the point that Squall wasn't sure if it was Rinoa he was watching so anxiously. Arms by her side, Ultimecia clenched her fists into balls, her face contorting to one that radiated revulsion and extreme dislike. Squall to an uncertain step back, tugging Headmaster Cid by his shirt, with him.
"Enough of this fooling around!" she shouted her eyes glowing purple.
"This can't be good," Zell said, stepping back fearfully.
"Where are you running off to?!" Seifer demanded, brushing past Irvine, Selphie and Zell. "She's a push over."
"Seifer, wait!" Quistis ordered, grabbing him by the collar of his trench coat, yanking him back, as if he were a young pup gallivanting into trouble - which he was. "Think of who we're dealing with."
"Ultimecia," he replied shortly, shrugging her grip from his coat.
"Don't be so foolish, Seifer!" Quistis said, now making a grab for his arm.
"Foolish is standing here doing nothing, my dear Instructor Trepe. Doing nothing, would be foolish. How do you think we're going to stop her? Through negotiations?! Hah! That's like trying to negotiate with Galbadia and their stupid tirade in declaring war on garden. Negotiations didn't work with the Galbadian President, and it sure ain't gonna work we her. Hell, no."
"Just wait, first." Quistis pressed. Come on, Squall. Get through to her if you can. It doesn't matter if you don't. Tell us when and we'll initiate combat.
"Squall stop her-!"
"My children! Destroy the sorceress whilst you have the chan-"
"Edea!" Cid cried on the emergence of his wife's voice and face.
"Cid, I-, the sorceress- too strong-"
"SILENCE!!!" The witch ordered, her voice resounding in the spacious confines of the basement floor.
"Help me, Squall!!!" Rinoa's voice of help called to him, echoing in his mind - awakening his senses to the extent, that he nearly raised his gunblade to attack Ultimecia.
Ultimecia laughed harshly when she saw Squall snap from his hypnotised state. "Problem, SeeD? It appears you cannot hurt me without harming your loved one."
Jaws clenched, Squall gritted his teeth together hard - trying not to let the reality of her words affect him. I have no choice... He thought. Rinoa, I'm sorry… Determination set in his eyes, Squall said his orders. "Seifer and Instructor Trepe with me. Zell, Irvine and Selphie, take Headmaster Cid to the 1F. Get Nida and Xu, we've got to move Balamb Garden away from Balamb Island."
"Squall?!" They instantly objected.
"Don't Squall me. Just do it!!!" Squall thundered taking the other three aback.
"W-where should Nida divert Balamb Garden to?" Zell asked apprehensive of the haggard expression Squall's face formed.
"Far away. Tell him to set a course for the Centra plains."
"Come on, Headmaster Cid, sir." Selphie said, taking the man by the arm and leading him to the elevator.
"Edea!" he shouted at the sorceress who returned his pleading face with her own barren, soulless eyes.
"No one leaves!" Ultimecia snarled, hurling an Ultima spell at the elevator entrance, blowing its door apart, and the only exit. "Why should three SeeDs suffer when you three are equably to blame for my wretched demise?"
"There goes that plan," Irvine was heard to mutter. "Any other great ideas?"
"But of course all of you will get a chance to battle me. No one shall miss out." Edea's voice mocked. Cid's face strained with the agony of Edea's state. Things were not looking up. In fact, things had never looked up since Odine had merged the three sorceresses together!
"The sooner I am rid of you parasites, the better! Come, show me what you are capable of!"
Words echoing in his mind, Squall, Seifer and Quistis were thrust into battle, his skill and strategy momentarily lost at the sight of Ultimecia's form before him.
Stop staring, fight! Don't let her gain the upper hand!
Gathering his SeeD senses together, a sign to Quistis signified that on her turn she was to cast Triple followed by Shell and Protect. If we had Rinoa, she could cast her Invincible Moon attack. But she's not here. She's inside that body. Got to use what we have. Squall didn't know if Seifer had Item as one of his fighting abilities, but he didn't. He only hoped that Quistis did, because he was sure he had a Holy War and Hero's Medicine stored there somewhere.
Until her next turn and until she had cast Triple, Shell and Protect, there was nothing much Squall could do. Imitating Seifer's move, Squall wisely cast Aura on himself and watched Quistis gain Triple status. These ventures did very little to protect them or inflict damage until there next turn, for Ultimecia raised a pale, yet clawed hand, moving it in a taunting motion to select who her first victim shall be. A sharp side-wards movement and a talon like finger had chosen Squall to bear the brunt of her malicious attack. For a fraction of a second, the face melted into one that showed a face of sorrow and grief.
Squall... forgive me...
Rinoa said tearfully as the large, white, ionised energy flew from the palm of her hand, travelling with quick speed at Squall's standing figure. Inwardly she shut her eyes to make the pain more bearable, yet his cries of affliction still reached her ears, and she cried.
Whatever attack Ultimecia had just targeted at him, one thing was sure: it hurt. Doubled over on the cold glazed floor of the basement, Squall grasped at his left shoulder, feeling blood swell out profusely from the resulting wound from that ball of energy. Seifer and Quistis looked down at him worriedly, remembering that they still had a sorceress to contend with when he shot them a bloody faced look. Damn... he thought, pressing harder at the wound, trying to reduce the blood flowing in between his gloved fingers which were now soaked.
Still five thousand hit points. Damn...
If ever he felt pain such as this, then he didn't recall. Perhaps when he had fought Griever. The ultimate GF created a bit of a problem with its swift, powerful attacks. But man was he feeling pain now. Some of the confidence he had lost during his fall was regained when Quistis successfully cast Shell and Protect, and now he watched Seifer perform his Limit attack. That was when he began to worry. Seeing him deliver such sharp and cutting motions at close proximity, and seeing the recoil Ultimecia did after each onslaught of his Demon Slice, made Squall wince. He had to remember that Rinoa and Matron was in there too.
From their spectator's point of view, Zell, Selphie and Irvine did not think the battle was going well. They recoiled in unison when they saw Squall receive that devastating blow, and it took both Irvine and Selphie to hold Zell down when he declared that he was going to whuup her ass big time.
Headmaster Cid did not like the current situation. Here they were in a 20/20 scenario. They either attacked the sorceress and save the world from total devastation and lose the lives of two people dear to their hearts, or they let the sorceress do as she pleased and let her continue with the Time Compression process. None of these two options could be afforded to happen, yet one problem still remained.
Impressed though he was with the skills that Seifer and Squall demonstrated Cid was honestly more concerned for the welfare of his wife than anything else. Even though Balamb Garden was his dream, and SeeDs chief aim was to destroy the sorceress when the time came, Cid Kramer could not bring the courage to let that happen. Even after the countless number of times he and Edea and discussed the implications that involved she receiving the sorceress' powers, Edea had been unrelenting. Would he interfere with his wife's wish? The question rotated around his mind as he stood watching the battle continue.

"Man... this isn't good." Zell said, shaking his head fretfully. "Squall just got blasted big time."
"Don't worry, Instructor Trepe has him covered!" Selphie said, pointing with a flutter inside her as Quistis cast Recover on Squall's self. That did not stop the bleeding fully. In fact, the Recover spell only managed to heal him to the extent that blood was no longer gushing from his would. The large gash was successfully sealed, yet his leather jacket was soaked with his vital fluid. Reality was harsh, and here was a prime example.
Able to stand fully straight now, both his arms free to attack, Squall gripped his gunblade with his right hand, and clenched the other to a fist. Then, without thinking, the young man sent a barrage of attacks from his Limit Renzokuken, finishing off with the mighty Lion Heart. The onslaught left him breathing heavily, but still did not remove the tinge of hatred that began to swell in his chest.

"Alright, Squall!!!" Zell cheered for his best buddy, punching the air with lifted spirits.
"Don't get too hopeful," Selphie warned apprehensively.
"I thought you were the one who was always saying to think positive. What? So now you're Miss Pessimistic?"
"I'm just saying, that's all." she said, training her eyes on the battle before her.
"Yeah, right. Squall will be thankful for your support." he snorted, folding his arms and turning his back to her.
"Stop being a dumbass, Zell. That's not what Selphie meant." Irvine said, closely watching the battle also.
"How would you know? Got a sixth sense?"
"Yes. My sixth sense is so sharp sometimes, it scares me." This was said in a straight face and left the martial artist clueless as to whether Irvine was playing him for a fool.
"Yeah right..." he said grunted. "Reeaaal sharp like your shooting, huh?"
"I was kidding. Come on, this is Ultimecia we're talking about. You fought her didn't you? Did you see the attacks she used? Hell's Judgement? That was her deadliest attack. One hit point, one hit point."
"Ok, ok. I get the picture. Man... I can't watch."
"Oooh, that must've hurt!" Selphie said, recoiling for Instructor Trepe who was hit directly with a large meteor.
"We need to help them!" Zell flared angrily. "I can't just watch them getting trashed!"
"You heard what Squall said. Their turn isn't over." Irvine said, restraining him with a hand to his shoulder.
"They're harming her!" Cid exclaimed, another devastating blow was delivered to the tri-sorceresses.
"Sir, there's no other way. Rinoa's in there too, but there is simply no other way." Irvine said, angry that everything boiled down to this.
It was extreme selfishness of Ultimecia to bring this burden upon them all. A selfless act that would result in the death of many - yet the life of two that were very dear to certain people's hearts - if Ultimecia was not destroyed.
Towering above them, the immense energy increasing her size - Ultimecia did her evil grin with the look of victory on her face. Seifer knelt on the floor after taking a considerable beating from another wave of Meteor - his HP reduced to a perilous 500 HP - the dawn-like coloured aura engulfed around him indicating his Limit status. "Do you surrender!?"
"Surrendering is for cowards!" Seifer shouted at her, wiping blood from the corner of his mouth and holding his gunblade aloft.
"Why suffer a humiliating death, when you can easily give in?" she questioned, toying with a highly charged energy ball in both hands. "So much simpler."
"We don't give up if we know there is a chance," said Quistis' voice. Her slender standing tall, the young woman concentrated, closing her eyes and feeling the strength flow through her. In a wave of hands, the SeeD instructor had cast Mighty Guard.
"You insolent-!" Ultimecia fumed, casting the large energy ball she had so far held in her hands.
The resulting effect after its connection with Quistis' body was a resounding bright light exploding into a fitful array of bursting force, sending white-hot showers onto the floor. The aftermath of the explosion brought no sign of the blond haired instructor. Everyone stared at the burnt-out spot where Quistis had been standing with mouths agape. What remained was a neat, charred circle, the result of the energy ball's impact, and two smouldering boot imprints - nothing more.
"W-?!" they all started, horrified at what they saw, happen.
"Instructor Trepe!" Selphie squeaked, not daring to believe her eyes.
"Whoa, stay back, Selph." Zell said, standing in front of her. "D-damn... the hell did she go?"
Instructor Trepe? Quistis?
Squall questioned in disbelief. W-where did you go...?
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!" came the laugh, expanding to the entire size of the basement floor. "Now you realise that I am no longer playing games!"
"NOOOOO!!!" the revelation that Quistis had been blown to pieces was received like a sharp, sudden blow to the chest - the voices of the fighters mingling into one, shrill voice.
"No..." Selphie said, sniffing back the tears and sinking to the floor. "It can't be..."
"Instructor Trepe...?" Irvine questioned, frowning back emotions he did not want expose, one hand reaching to remove the hat from his head and bending in sign of reverence.
While Selphie and Irvine were quicker to digest that Quistis had been blown to oblivion before their very eyes, Zell remained resilient to lose hope so easily. "She can't be... she's alive... she can't be- can't be dead?"
"She's dead Zell, didn't you see?!" Irvine snapped, wondering why he was speaking harshly unnecessarily.
"Hey, don't you start, ok!" the boy with the tattoo said jabbing an index finger in Irvine's direction. "Not that easily..."
"Are you blind?!" that was it, Irvine finally exploded, firing a bullet from his Exeter so that it made a slight indent on the ceiling, bits of plaster dangling loose. "Where were you looking when the ball of energy hit her!?"
"You don't understand..." Zell said, not explaining and shaking his head.
"Then explain,"
"Irvine, look out!" Selphie cried, pushing roughly to one side as a spell nearly collided with him.
"I tire of this!" Ultimecia seethed venomously. "All of you shall die eventually." Seeing them scatter in all direction, a smile curled her lips. "You can run, but you cannot hide from me!"
"This is not good!" Irvine breathed heavily, leaning against the metal wall clutching his ribs from the build up of lactic acid and tilting his hat with the barrel of his Exeter.
"You don't say!" Zell sarcastically bit with too much sarcasm than he thought necessary.
Irvine conceded his stupid question and let the scathing remark pass. "Damn, I think I've got a bruise on my arm, my shooting arm! Thanks Selphie."
"Quit complainin''- WHOA!" Zell began to say, jumping a metre back to avoid the same fate as the wall, which now had a big hole through it. "Well she sure ain't wasting time!"
"She's on a rampage," Irvine said, removing the safety catch of his weapon and readying it.
"Hey man, what'cha gonna do with that?" Zell intervened, bringing the barrel down to the floor.
"What do you think I'm gonna do with it? Use it to eat with?!" the cowboy snapped, returning the sarcasm and moving Zell away from him.
"You crazy?! You can't shoot that thing at Ultimecia!" the martial artist argued, making a lunge for Irvine's Exeter.
"At least get it right. You fire a gun and shoot an arrow. There's a difference. Got it?"
"Yeah, yeah. Stop showing off, jerk head."
"Dumbass," the other shot back.
"Don't make me use this on you," Zell warned, bringing his right Ehrgiez fist a centimetre from Irvine's face.
"You wouldn't have the guts,"
"Wanna bet?" he challenged.
"Maybe next time. Do me a favour." Irvine asked, staring right into Zell's Adamantine enforced gloves.
"What?"
"Duck!!!"

Both hands covering her head, Selphie rocked on her heels and let out a moan as more explosions were let loose, sending fragments of metal everywhere. Beside her, Headmaster Cid sat on the floor, back leaning against a conveniently placed metal structure that obscured them from vision. Removing a white handkerchief with the initials H.C on it, Cid Kramer mopped lightly at his brow, expelling a sigh of weariness and defeat.
"Headmaster Cid, sir, are you ok?" the auburn headed girl asked, brining down her hands when she heard the noise stop for a brief moment.
"I shall be ok when everything is restored to normal." he stated, pocketing his handkerchief back into the pocket of his grey trousers. "Foolish of me, really. Garden was my dream - it was mine and Edea's idea to establish a school for mercenaries - with the intent that someday these skilled fighters would one day bring the sorceress down."
His listener remained silent, not commenting or interfering and he appreciated that. "I should have hardened myself for this day. Or should I say, the second time round, eh?" Another sigh and then he continued, taking out his watch and fingering the cracked line that snaked across the face of the clock. "No matter how hard you try you can never prepare yourself for the real thing. You anticipate, yet it never seems to turn out the way you expect it to."
"I think I can agree with you on that one sir!" Selphie said, perking up a little despite their current situation. "Transferring from Trabia to Balamb Garden to complete my SeeD training had its surprises. The least thing I expected from the field exam at Dollet was to be chased my a humungous mechanical spider!"
"Ah yes," Headmaster Cid nodded in remembrance, "who could forget that unexpected incident?"
"Seems like years have gone by when all it's been is a year!"
"The busy, demanding life of a SeeD has made you busy, my dear. The missions and such, no doubt have changed your life drastically?"
Selphie frowned slightly at this and shrugged her bare shoulders. "I dunno about that, sir. Becoming a SeeD hasn't changed me at all, I don't think. It has made me more focused and it's also made me think seriously, 'cos these battled we have are for real! But I haven't changed in any way. I have my friends, I'm happy. I'm ok!"
"Then I'm happy for you." Cid said, patting her on the arm. "One cannot be serious all the time and if we are, we turn into mindless drones. Life has its pros, taking advantage of them does us no harm once in a while."
The young girl nodded again and picked up her Morning Star weapon, which she had laid in front of her. "Sir, do you think Quis-"
"Ms. Trepe was an excellent instructor, a truly gifted SeeD at that, I..."
"You speak as if she's gone forever! She can't have! She, I'm sure she's..." the words couldn't form, and even if they did Selphie was unable to say them. Kneeling now, Selphie hung her head, feeling remorse and sadness. The feeling of doing something to prevent Quistis' loss unrelenting.
"Do not feel you are to blame. Quistis' life was taken with the implications that danger could lead to death."
"But something could have been done!" Selphie argued, balling her fists and hitting the cold floor with them. "If her body was there we could've attempted a Phoenix Down, or, or a Full Life spell or something!"
"What is done, is done." Cid said, nudging the bridge of his glasses back up his nose. "We can only hope to consolidate Quistis' loss by preventing Ultimecia from doing further harm and stopping her before it is too late."
"But what can we do?" Selphie asked, "There's no way out."
"We may not be able to escape, but there is no denying that we must come up with a plan that will minimally hurt Edea and Rinoa."
"Such as?" She had no idea, she hoped Squall had.

A cut above his left eyebrow, a bleeding lip. Seifer couldn't ask for anything more. Right now, he was doing his best to dodge Ultimecia's volley of attacks that were clearly wearing him done, for her last Holy attack had skimmed his left arm. Executing a rough right shoulder roll, Seifer ran the length of the basement floor diving over a protruding metal object and coming face to with Selphie and Headmaster Cid.
"Come to say 'hi', Seifer?" Selphie asked, as Seifer went to peer over the edge of the object that provided as protection.
The blond boy, face neutral and focused on the task at hand whipped his head with a blank expression and said, "Hi," before turning to what he was doing. "Oh, oh." he muttered, hauling Selphie to his feet. "We've gotta move. Headmaster Cid, stay put. She's gonna direct a Tornado spell at us, we've got to keep on moving so she can't be successful."
"Seifer," Selphie said, tugging at his coat and pointing to something that looked very much like a ferocious twirling tornado.
"What?" he asked exasperated, following the finger that pointed and widening his eyes at the same. "Oh, shit! Dive!"

Landing on his feet, Squall pressed himself against the wall and took a deep breath. Think for Hyne's sake! Think of something! What am I supposed to do?! Squall's mind angrily answered back at the questions he was putting to himself. This is useless. This is going nowhere!
<Squall?>
That voice!
It wasn't a physical voice that he could hear with his ears. It was coming from within his mind. I'm going crazy...
<Squall? Can you hear me?>
"Elle- Ellone?" Squall spoke quietly, controlling his breathing to calm himself down.
<How are you faring?>
"I've been in better situations." he communicated back. "I can't stop her, Ellone. I'd harm them both."
<Then what is to be done, then? What is to become of you and the rest of mankind? Is the life of two people more important compared to the millions that is at risk - oblivious as the rest of the world is to the threat?>
Don't make me do this
, Squall's mind silently pleaded. Don't make me choose.
<Wake up to reality, Squall. I love you, and you know I'd help you if I could. The harsh truth is, a choice has to be made. Either you decide or it shall be made for you.>
And I don't want any regrets
, he thought, resting his head back against the wall and expelling breath.
<The right choice is there, Squall. Look for it. Search you soul and you shall find it.>
Then the connection was severed and Squall was left on his own to dwell upon those words and do some soul searching.

Cautiously she removed her hands from her head. Opened one eye like a wink, and then the other. Falling rubble? None. Selphie heaved a sigh of relief, dusting the front of her dress and her legs.
"Everything's in working order," she said, flexing both arms. "Headmaster Cid?"
"Yes, yes, I'm fine. Ouch, I think I make have received a slight knock on the head. Doctor Kadowaki would insist I see her. If we are relieved of the present evil, that is."
The Tornado spell did not seek out its intended victims, but instead their hiding place - though brief as it was. Now the bulk of the object was nothing but a crumpled heap, raised from the ground and totalled by the furiously twirling frenzy of the spell. Seifer dreaded to think what their remains would appear to be like had Ultimecia been successful. Their dive had been a well timed one, despite giving Seifer another bruise, a weak cut on Selphie's arm, and the bump at the back of Cid's head.
"Better than dead", Seifer thought grimly, leaning heavily on his strongest arm. "Can't stop now, it looks like she preparing to strike again."
"Oh Squall," said Selphie anxiously wringing her hands in despair. "Please. Think of something soon."

Dire though things were Irvine could not help but laugh despite trying his best not to. Dodging the Thundara spell left them unscathed, well… perhaps a fraction of Zell's self that continued to crackle and burn with out him knowing.
"What?" said Zell peering around him to check that no more magic was hurtling their way.
"Y- You're-" Irvine tried to tell but couldn't because of the laughter he continued to lapse into.
"Hey tell me man. No jokes funny unless I'm laughing too." He said, pursing his lips together.
At this the young man from Galbaldia collapsed into a fitful of shoulder shaking and laughter - tears brimming at the corner of his eyes.
"Irvine!" Zell snapped viciously. "What's so funny?!"
Which was the wrong question to ask because it gleaned no answer - rather it caused the sharpshooter to laugh even harder. "Zell-" he gasped, clutching his side. "You are the joke."
"Huh?" the martial artist said bewildered and non the wiser. "What have I done that's so funny. Hang on… Do I smell smoke? AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! Help! Help! My hair's on fire!"
"Stop running around and hopping about like a Cactuar that had Berserk cast on it." Irvine instructed, clutching the aching pain on his left rib as a result from laughing too much. "Hold still."
"I'll have no hair left!" Zell shouted crazily, now beating his head with his gloved hands in the hope that he'd clap the flames away. Irvine watched the small flames spreading.
"You're making it worse," Irvine commented calmly.
"I don't see you doing much!" snapped Zell who glared at the cowboy watching him with amused eyes.
"I said hold still," Irvine repeated.
For a brief moment Zell did as he was told and then continued to jump madly up and down while trying to stop the fire from searing all his blond hair off. Caught in mid-hop, Zell shortly stopped when he was doused with freezing cold water. "What the hell?!" he yelled, standing in a gradually increasing puddle. "I said to help me, not give me pneumonia!!! That's the second time I've been soaked."
"Sorry?" Irvine offered though he really didn't mean it - his shoulders were raised in a gesture of mock helplessness. He had cast a Water spell to get rid of the fire. "At least I got rid of the fire for you." He said.
"And that's meant to be some sort of consolation?"
"It's better than bald!" Irvine pointed out.
That was true.
"Tch, but I'm still wet."
"What, do you want me to burn you dry? I saved your miserable ass just moments ago. If it weren't for me, you would have been more than toast. You would've been flambéed to a crisp. Nothing would be left-"
"Ok man. I got the picture. No need to get your cowboy hat into a twist." Said Zell, waving a hand at Irvine's face to hush him up. "Did anyone ever tell you, you talk too much?"
"N-"
"N-uh-uh-uh-uh." Zell instructed. "Ssh. I think I hear someone."
That someone was Squall. Serious face in place, Squall Leonhart crouched behind a pillar - signalling for them to not blow his cover. When all was clear a swift, silent dash across the basement floor lead to his appearance beside two of his comrades.
"Hey," Squall greeted. Noncommittal. Monotonous.
"I'd say 'what's up', except I think we all know the answer to that question." Zell said, glancing about.
"Yeah," agreed Irvine. "Ultimecia, that's what's up."
"I've been thinking-"
"Good. 'Cos I've been thinking too. I've been thinking if we don't do something soon, she's gonna blow us all up. Look at her. It's like she's freakin' immortal!" Zell interrupted, stealing a look to see Ultimecia randomly throwing spells in her wake.
"I've been thinking along those lines too." Squall spoke up again. "I've been thinking…"
"Thinking…?" Irvine and Zell encouraged.
"The only way we can do some real damage and ensure the safety of everyone is to try and separate them. Combined together we'd be jeopardising all of their lives when all we want is to harm the one."
"Right. We went over this in the classroom. Have you decided yet on who it's gonna be?" Zell asked tensely.
"Yes…" Squall said firmly but still swallowing the big lump in his throat. Forgive me… "It's going to be…"