Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ sore kara... ❯ wakari tsuzukeru ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Standard disclaimers apply.

-------------------------------
sore kara...
-------------------------------
wakari tsuzukeru


"What's going on??" Cloud demanded the moment he crawled out of the tent, unable to rest with the crazy racket Squall and Kuja were making. They did realize they were on a big, flat piece of grasslands, didn't they? If the monsters were attracted, they probably wouldn't even have time to sleep tonight!

His two other friends were oblivious to his entrance to the scene however, as they continued murmuring loudly and sometimes shouting a word of command or two to one another. When he finally got close enough, he noticed that he hadn't heard the usually noisy Zidane. Squall ducked into the shadows into his own tent and returned quickly with some semblence of a ration pitcher. He then attempted to pour it on someone who was resting against the log Kuja was sitting on.

Cloud rushed over when he saw who it was. "What's going on?" He asked again when he was sure the others could see and hear him. Kuja gave him a confused look and shook his head.

"I don't know." He sighed. "He was trying to remember, but I guess his subconsciousness didn't want him to."

"Water's not helping." Squall withdrew the receptacle. "Guess we'll just have to rest him up." He then sat down cross-legged on the grass, scratching his head and sighing softly. "Does this always happen?" He asked nobody in particular. "I never knew trying to remember something could be so painful."

Although he didn't know why, Cloud decided that he was rather annoyed with that simple comment. "How would you know anything about trying to remember a past you can't seem to reach?" He frowned. "You've never suffered from memory loss before."

Squall then looked at him like he was a moogle on crack. "Of course I suffer from memory loss. I junction G.F.s, remember?" He then stopped and looked like he just realized HE was the moogle on crack. "Oh, sorry. I never told you I junctioned G.F.s."

Kuja didn't know how much of this he could stand before he would try to knock himself unconscious. The look on his face told Squall that it was imperative he explained himself. Which he did, surprisingly. But not before he let a long, stretching sigh leave his mouth.

"Cloud uses materia to cast magic, summon creatures and do all that schmuck," Squall began, "Kuja's spells are imbued in him..."

"But I have to use certain items to draw them out. Only when I do that can I use the spells without abovementioned catalysts." Kuja added. Squall nodded.

"... and me," he continued where the silver-haired man left off, "I have to junction Guardian Forces, G.F.s for short, to myself. Using these G.F.s, I'll be able to draw magic, use magic, summon the G.F.s themselves, and do a lot of other stuff; provided that the G.F.s are capable of them."

Cloud looked thoughtful for a while, before saying, "You mean this 'junctioning' thing is essentially COMBINING yourself and those G.F.s together during and outside battle so you can use commands you don't normally know or have?"

Squall nodded. "That was essentially what junctioning G.F.s was, except for one part. When a person junctions G.F.s, he risks losing a part of his memories to the G.F., who would eventually take over a part of the brain and reside there.

"Not that the memories are repressed forever, that is," Squall quickly added, "they just don't seem to be there. The junctioner can't seem to remember. And if he ever DOES think back about the past, he'd just find a blank. It wouldn't hurt, like what I always see Zidane going through." He brooded. "That's why... that's why I said I didn't understand."

"While that may be an all in all acceptable argument for Zidane's memory loss," Kuja frowned, "I also know a hard knock to the head would probably do the same to a person's remembrance; probably worse." He smiled sadly. "He... we've been through a lot, before we found you guys. It's going to be hard to trace the root of the problem."

Despite Kuja's lamentations, Cloud appeared to be pondering on what had just been discussed. "Squall," he called out quietly, "junctioning a G.F., is it a physical or a spiritual kind of connection?"

"What?" Squall wasn't sure if he understood that correctly.

"You know," Cloud made a sign with his hand, "do you junction G.F.s physically to your body or just spiritually to your mind?"

"Well, to the mind, of course!" Squall sounded offended, and then shot Kuja, who was beginning to giggle, a death glare. He didn't need to be a genius to know that Kuja was thinking about how a Squall+Shiva entity would look like, if junctioning was truly done physically. "Otherwise I think I'd be looking like a freak, what with Shiva, Ifrit, Cerberus, oh gosh, that thing's got 3 heads for goodness sake!" He scowled at the thought. Cloud merely broke into a grin.

"Right, I should've guessed, you know. No summon creature'd look at dandy as you do, Squall, heheheh. So there's no junctioning that takes place physically, eh?"

"I really don't understand why you're asking this, but actually, there is." Squall threw his hands into the air. "Ultimecia junctioned herself physically onto Griever. Gosh, that was one ugly junction if I ever saw one."

"....." went Cloud.

"....." went Kuja.

"...................." went Squall. "Ultimecia was a sorceress from the future. She was the one who started all this time compression crap. Griever was the legendary strongest G.F. in the world." He picked his pendant up from the chain around his neck and flashed it in the audience's eyes. "He looked something like this, except he was much bigger and tougher, of course."

"Excuse me for sounding stupid, but where exactly do you get G.F.s from?" Kuja interrupted. "Chase them down on chocobos?"

"Well, some G.F.s can be acquired by fighting and then winning them, but we usually draw them, like we draw spells."

Kuja looked almost exasperated. "Draw?" He then put a finger to the sand and drew a tortoise with a weird head. "Draw?" He asked again, pointing at the tortoise.

Squall gave him a weird look, then stood up and drew his weapon, murmuring something the rest couldn't quite hear. Before they could ask, bright sparkles emerged from Kuja's body to where Squall was standing, disappearing within the young SeeD. The ex-villian gave a yelp, surprised at the suddeness of the movement and the fact that he felt no pain. He then looked to Squall and expected an explanation.

"Wow," was the first thing Squall said when he opened his eyes, "15 Ultimas! You must have a really high level." He laughed. He then turned to the unsuspecting Cloud and used the same spell on him. Only this time, sparkles didn't dance off as they did Kuja. Squall frowned, confused. He tried it again. And again. And again. It wasn't possible to fail a draw so many times. He wondered what had happened.

"Funny," Squall sat back down on the grass, "I couldn't draw from Cloud but I could draw from Kuja." He put his fingers to his chin. "Now that I think about it, only enemies have spells to be drawn, and the ones I can't draw from are comrades... hmmm..."

"Are you insinuating something, Mr. Squall Leonhart?!" Kuja flicked his silver tresses around and flushed. It was a good thing campfire was orange, otherwise he was going to have a hard time explaining the blush of rage. Or rather, self-admittance. It was true. He WAS a villian. What could he say? Oh don't worry, I'm NOT going to destroy the world now, though I WAS trying to. While still seething, he heard Squall's good-natured laugh.

"No, no, I'm not insinuating ANYTHING, Kuja," he held both his hands up in defense, "it's a wonky world where the past, present and future are all in one compressed space, so many weird things can happen." He then paused for a while.

"Like how you knew my surname without me telling you, for example."

That threw his mind slightly off-balanced. Squall's surname? Wasn't it 'Leonhart'? Funny, he'd always knew it, although now that he came to think about it, Squall never *did* tell anybody his surname. The red left his face. Now he was decidedly white.

Yeah... how DID he know... ?

"Earth to Kuja, Earth to Kuja..." Cloud pushed the vainpot slightly with his boot, in an attempt to get him to snap back to the conversation. His only acknowledgement was a faraway stare in Kuja's eyes. He sighed and turned to Squall. Why did Squall always have to be the one who's conversational, when he really WASN'T, theoratically, that conversational?

"Hey, Squall..." Cloud began, a little unsure of what he wanted to know.

"... Yeah?" Came the slow, steady and bored reply.

"Can you detect what you can draw in a person?"

"... Yeah. If I've come across the spell before."

"Good!" Cloud clapped his hands together. He then pointed at the unconscious Zidane. "Tell me if you can detect anything to draw from this little guy over here."

Squall nodded, then stood up, murmuring the same words he had when he tried to draw from Cloud and Kuja. The little monkey boy began to glow quietly with a soft, white light. Cloud noticed Squall frowning a little halfway through the detection, but at least setting Zidane on soft, white light had gotten Kuja's attention back into the real world. He waited for Squall to finish up.

"I can't..." Squall began, eyes still closed, "... I can't detect it..."

"Figures." Kuja muttered dryly. "Zidane isn't an enemy, you do realize."

"No! I mean," the teenager gritted his teeth, "there's something there for me to draw... I just... can't tell what it is... can't cast it... can't even stock it..."

With those words he broke from concentration and let out a huge gasp. He then sank to his knees and panted hard.

"You don't look like you're all right." Cloud commented, digging into the inventory. "Here, have a potion." He flung the potion over to Squall. "Talk to us only if and when you feel like it, okay?"

The young SeeD nodded and managed to have a bit of the potion he was just thrown. After spending a few more seconds trying to catch his breath, he decided that he was simmered down enough to talk. He changed his position to a more comfortable, sitting position, indicating his readiness.

"You actually could *sense* that there something you could draw from Zidane??" Kuja immediately asked. "But... that's ridiculous!" He almost snorted. "Zidane... isn't an enemy..."

"Woah, chill, Kuja." Cloud fanned his hands in a waving position in hopes that it would accelerate the soft breeze around the plains, and in the event cooling the worked up Kuja down. "Let the boy have his piece first, okay?"

"........................" went Squall, waiting for Kuja to nod and settle back before continuing, "There was one spell I could draw from Zidane... it's a spell I've never stocked, casted or seen before... but when I pressed on with it's status, I found out that it couldn't be stocked or casted, like the other spells I could draw from other people."

There was a dramatic pause. Someone had to teach Squall about coherence sometimes.

"Which means?" Cloud finally broke the silence.

"... considering the fact that he's a supposed ally and I'm not supposed to be able to draw anything in the first place," Squall began, slowly, cautiously, "there can really only be one possibility..."

Kuja found himself leaning forward in anxiousness despite himself.

"... there's a... sleeping G.F. I've never come across before junctioned to his mind." He finished off with a tone of uncertainty... and something else. A tone of apology, perhaps? He sure as anything didn't know and didn't want to. Especially when Kuja was looking at him like he was tomorrow's breakfast; or worst still, tonight's supper. He could feel himself cringing. After all, the only other creature he remembered who stocked Ultima spells was the Omega Weapon, and memories of that thing was a nightmare he NEVER wanted to live through again. If Kuja was strong enough to stock Ultima spells, and oh might he add, Curaga, Meteo, Holy and a consortium of some other spells he didn't want to know WHERE Kuja had gotten from, he KNEW he wasn't going to be left standing if Kuja took offence and started lashing out. He HAD gotten 100% for Judgment in the SeeD exam.

It was therefore, to his surprise when Kuja's fist shook in rage, only for a short while, before he gave a long sigh and sat himself back onto the log. He was definitely frustrated, but not at Squall. Not at Cloud. Not at anything. Maybe with himself, but nobody could really tell.

"Are you..." Kuja began, trying to suppress the vehemence in his tone, "... absolutely, sure about what you just said? That... there's a monster hibernating in Zidane's brain..."

"G.F.s aren't monsters." Squall frowned, but for some reason or another thought otherwise of the strange entity hibernating in Zidane's mind. "But I AM absolutely sure. I can't NOT be sure. The Garden Laws forbid that. Sharp judgment about spells and junctions are tantamount to entering a battle in top condition and surviving it in an even better one." He did the little funny SeeD salute thing for the first time since he'd met these guys. "You have my word for that."

He heard Kuja sigh again, and not for the first time that evening, too. "I knew the Iifa Tree didn't really manage to knock him hard enough on the head to cause memory disturbances..." he began jabbering in a hushed whisper, "but having magick from ANOTHER time and space steal his memories... oh gosh, what would his dear canary say? What would Mikoto say?" He began to laugh bitterly. "All this because he wanted to go back and save a dying man!!"

"Kuja..." Squall was feeling a little frightened. When the laughing villian didn't quite answer him, he looked at Cloud, feeling lost. The expression Cloud wore on his face told him the blond was pretty much as lost as he was. They continued hearing Kuja laugh like there would be no time to do that anymore, until he stood up and graciously sashayed into his tent, still laughing.

Cloud stood up too, dusting his pants. "Well, since I don't know what to say and do, I might as well let that decision come to me in my dreams." He grinned, giving Squall the thumbs-up sign. "That means you have just volunteered to move Zidane into his tent. Thanks, Squall! You're the best, you know?" He purposely gave an earth-shaking yawn. "Good night!"

When the blond disappeared into his tent, Squall turned his attention to the other blond in the visible vicinity. Careless to all that surrounded him, Zidane slept like a pig.

There was something about him that bothered Squall. Maybe it wasn't HIM, him. Maybe it was the weird draw he had performed. Something had hidden inside Zidane? A sleeping G.F. even? He'd thought he knew all G.F.s, from Shiva to Eden. There were OTHER G.F.s he didn't know about? It was piquing his curiousity, but he also knew Cloud would kill him if he didn't get Zidane into sheltered places right now. He sighed.

What would he give to have Rinoa with him...

"..." went Squall. He then looked up to see a shooting star across the skies.

"Did I just say that out loud?" He wondered.

"... Rinoa..."


-------------------------------
wakari tsuzuketa
10/6/2001
http://cloud-is.ourfamily.com/