Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ sore kara... ❯ ochiru ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Standard disclaimers apply.

-------------------------------
sore kara...
-------------------------------
ochiru


"ARGH! ! DAMMIT!!! Just how many of them are there anyway?!" Zidane screeched in sheer agony, having rendered enough people unconscious to be able to write a bestseller. "Do they have like, millions of reinforcements waiting in those stupid rooms or something?"

".................." went Squall, who managed to clear away enough people to be fighting alongside the monkey boy. "....... there IS a difference in number. The people are starting to retreat back into the rooms they came from."

"Well, good!!" Zidane scoffed, managing to catch his breath while truly appreciating the point of Squall's statement. The people stopped suddenly and were making a mad rush for the doors they came in from, grabbing as many fallen comrades as they could manage. "There wasn't enough space on the floor to contain all of them, anyway."

With the receding crowd, Squall and Zidane soon caught a glimpse of their other comrades, all equally perplexed at the sudden shift of strategy on the part of the enemy. They caught sight of each other and ran to converge in the middle of the room, Ipsen slowly walking from behind.

"No, don't ask me!" Kuja held a hand out immediately when he was in hearing range. "I do NOT know what's going on, and am not going to find out either. Let's just go find the monsters and let them all out or something, okay?"

"Don't worry about finding the monsters," Ipsen shrugged, "you'll probably be more interested in how to get them back onto the surface instead."

"OOooh! I can't take this anymore!" Kuja stomped on his right foot and stormed up to the still-caped Ipsen. "You know, I'm a big fan of your plays and everything, but would you stop acting like you know us inside out?! It's creeping, bothering, annoying and frustrating me to no end!" He reached out during his banter and grabbed a loose fold of the hood, yanking tightly. "Just who do you think you are anyway?!"

The hood fell in slow-motion.

Kuja withdrew his hand sharply and let his jaw drop, as unfitting as it was for a man his grace. No sound managed to escape his lips.

He pointed.

Zidane pointed.

Squall pointed.

"......... !!!!"

Was all they managed to eke.

Cloud was, surprisingly, the one who stood through this whole pointing session with his arms folded and gaze cool.

Ipsen had sharp, blond, spikey hair. Ipsen had glowing, blue, Mako eyes. Ipsen had a big, bad, Buster Sword. Ipsen had a nice, silly, moronic smile.

Heck. Ipsen looked exactly like Cloud Strife.

"You know, I have no time or interest to explain things to you guys," 'Ipsen' put a finger to his lips and grinned, "but trust me on this, the way you'd trust Cloud." He jerked a thumb towards the still quiet Cloud for emphasis. "I'm here to help. I'll open up the way for you guys."

While the other 3 still had their fingers trained on him, and their jaws on the floor, Ipsen re-hooded himself, leapt into the air, and promptly disappeared. Cloud took a huge breath in, calmed himself down, and proceeded to his three fossilized companions.

He waited for about 5 seconds.

"If you don't snap out of it, I'm gonna cast Sudden Death on all of you..." He gently said, blowing at his fingernails while he was at it. It worked to a certain extent. They snapped out of their pose and shifted their fingers to be pointing at him instead.

"Cloud!" Squall was the first to say.

"You..." Zidane managed to continue.

"..." went Kuja, for a while, "... reproduce asexually, right?" before he dug up the most logical explanation he had for the appearance of 2 Clouds at the same time before him.

For that, they all got the Evil Eye and the Glowing Materia treatment.

"I'm going to cast Sudden Death." Cloud glared.

"AAAH!!" The rest promptly screamed when they realized the materia was beginning to glow. Frantic running around in all directions followed soon after.

Before Cloud could lift the materia into the air and cast the spell he so wanted to, however, the ground rocked and trembled with a mechanic sound, knocking them all onto their hands and knees. Recovery was quick, and soon everybody stood and was astounded.

The rumbling of the floor became a mere background. Ceilings and walls thought to have been sheer brick and concrete slowly slid away to reveal a new type of wall of sorts. It was translucent, and rose slowly to engulf the group of four in a cone-like prism prison. The only things which remained unchanged were the doors, holding still in their position while everything else rebuilt themselves around them. Looking over their shoulders, they caught a glimpse of the moustache man who had disappeared earlier, stroking the tails of his moustache with ferocity, staring at them through the solid glass barrier.

"Don't know what's going on, but I've got a really bad feeling about this..." Cloud kept his Death materia and fished out some other more potent offensive materia instead.

Bright lights shone down on them from above. Squall raised a hand to block out the glare.

"I'd say your feeling is probably right." The dark teenager got used to the light quickly and positioned his hand over the hilt of the Lion Heart. Zidane and Kuja respectively got their daggers and spells ready.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" The loud, static voice of the moustached man went out to people who were supposedly there but invisible from the foursome's viewpoint. "We regret the sudden summon, and apologize for inconveniences! HOWEVER! Tonight's show is a show that must not be missed! It is-"

"What the heck is going on?!" Zidane shouted over the voice, waving the Orihalcon at the man through the glass but apparently not generating a satisfiable reaction. Kuja was at the glass barrier, examining it for plausible solutions to their situation.

Cloud walked up to him. "Well?"

"Strong stuff, enhanced with anti-magic barriers." Kuja stood up and took a few steps back. Zidane was still yelling assorted obscenities and demands at the man, while Squall had more or less lost interest and was currently trying to brood. "Stand back." He waved a hand at Cloud.

Flare exploded into action at once, ramming into the glass barrier repeatedly, in hope of at least a dent or crack. After many trials, Kuja realized that nothing was happening and ceased his attacks, semi-appalled by how pointless it had all been. It was at this point of time that both he and Cloud noticed that the rumbling of the ground had restarted.

"Watch! As the powerful mages battle the detestable monsters in a fight to death!!" Was the last thing they heard over the rumbling before the doors flung open to introduce an entire cohort of newcomers - this time nowhere near human.

Everybody retreated instinctively. "The monsters!!" Zidane gasped, swatting away a daring bug who had made it's way over in a flash. "Dammit, what's this? Gladiator's arena or something?"

A Nibel Wolf leapt high into the air and had his fangs aimed at Zidane, the latter quickly readying himself for a quick counter. However, a strong sound and the sudden release of a lot of wind magic caused the monsters to be thrown about the room like broken rag dolls. Zidane turned around to catch what he would term as Kuja in half-trance mode. Oh boy. Better run.

An aura of imminent death surrounded the deathly calm Kuja. He had 'I am so angry' written all over his empty looking face. With raised hands he called upon an exceedingly enhanced Flare Star to strike and burn all the monsters - already down due to the earlier wind spell - into smoke and smithereens.

From outside their little glass world, tremendous cheering and clapping was heard.

"Those people must be bored out of their minds!" Zidane's knuckles turned white, grasping just a little too hard on the daggers. "What's so fun about watching living things die?!"

The doors opened again to release new monsters, starved for days and nights in their cages, dashing madly towards what they thought was prey. Kuja's eyes began to flash by that time, and while Cloud and Squall took down the new batch of monsters, Zidane spent most of his time turning back to inspect the silver-haired man worriedly.

He remembered what Kuja said about the monsters, and his ability to create them.

Perhaps, in some ways, he could empathize with these creatures? Perhaps, in other ways, he saw them as strays; undeserved of such treatment? Was he angry? At who? At what? The monkey turned more serious than he had ever been since the journey. Kuja had already began chanting another spell.

As if on cue, Cloud and Squall finished the last of their turns with the beasts and leapt backwards to join their companions. At the very same time, Firaga surged forward and licked gleefully at the edges of the strong, metallic doors; the even stronger flames melding them together with the walls and floor.

From the corner of his eye, Zidane noticed the moustached man slam his palms against his announcement table and look upon the scene with disbelief. Now that the floor and doors were melted, no amount of machinery would be able to lift them for an incoming stream of monsters. Slight relief washed over him. He had considered about eventually having to fight every single monster there was in Gaia, and the thought hadn't appealed at all.

The man was now trembling and sweating.

Quickly glancing behind, Zidane saw the reason why.

I mean, if you had a semi-tranced Kuja looking at you like you were Garland, wouldn't you tremble and sweat?

"Kuja, let's just get the monsters out." Cloud shook his head, knowing, just like everybody else, what Kuja would do next if otherwise. "We've played around long enough. The Lunar Cry isn't going to be able to happen until we get all of them to the surface."

Closing his eyes and looking away, Kuja remained silent.

"Heh... heheh... !" The irritating voice of the irritating man from outside the little prison blared over from somewhere. "It's useless, I tell ya! The glass is anti-magic, and attack-proof! Not even a behemoth could run through it without getting half it's neck twisted! I'm telling you, there's no way you can-"

"Aw man! Stop it already, okay?!" The unmistakable 'Ipsen's voice took over the system. "I hate cliche villians!" The voice continued, after someone was heard being knocked unconscious. "Okay, people, don't believe in whatever nonsense this fella just rambled about. Break that stupid glass barrier thing down, go through one of the doors, grab whatever's moving and enjoy the ride of your life!" The hooded 'Ipsen' then feigned a salute, "We won't meet again," turned around, and disappeared from wherever he had come in from in the first place.

"'Break that stupid glass barrier' he says..." Zidane was already stabbing at the glass with all his might, "... I wish he'd make it as easy as it sounded!"

"It IS anti-magic and anti-attack," Kuja suddenly appeared beside him, making him jump out of his skin, "but if we should attack it from the outside..."

Although he was relieved to see Kuja back to his normal self, instead of semi-transfigurating with a reddish glow, Zidane wasn't sure if he was safe to be near still. He slowly edged away.

"A summon?" Squall suggested.

"We might risk the summon hitting us as well, though." Kuja sighed. "I think I have a better idea. Let me weaken this thing enough for a strong physical attack to bring it down." And without a break or a breath, he began chanting for Ultima. Cloud and Squall turned to look at one another blankly.

Over the system, voices of evacuating people could still be heard. Zidane didn't know whether to pity them or to feel sorry. A quick check with his instincts told him that time had not been kind, for the many hours spent in this underground colosseum was probably all they had to bring the monsters back to the surface in time for the Lunar Cry. 'Ipsen's instructions, although straightforward and pretty much easy to follow, had been bizarre and almost incomprehendable - considering the situation they were in.

Therefore, as Ultima passed through the magic field and slammed into the barrier from outside, Zidane could only hope that 'Ipsen' was really on their side and meant more help than harm. For when he, Cloud and Squall each struck the glass barrier in their own move, the ceiling tumbled in on them, revealing the glaring light from the sun, and monsters of every shape and size vaulted over the concrete in a mad rush for the surface they were supposed to be on.

"Woah!" Zidane slipped and almost fell, had he not grabbed onto the tail of a Torama. "WOAH!" He continued to exclaim, when the Torama leapt and bounded out of the now stuffy and semi-buried underground chamber with vitality and energy. He was soon out of sight.

"Zidane!" Kuja swept unsuccessfully at the smoke that had come in along with the soil. His free hand found the horns of an unfortunate Ruby Dragon, who was in the process of flying out. Kuja saddled the beast with ease and experience, and before long he, too, disappeared from sight.

Cloud and Squall both went ".................................".

The spikey-headed mercenary turned to his companion. "We're going to your world, right?" He asked good-naturedly.

"Yeah." Squall answered, though unsure of what Cloud really meant.

"When we get there, you have got to show me around that mercenary school of yours... Balamb Garden, right?" He laughed, surprisingly calm for someone surrounded by so many frantic monsters rushing for the surface.

"Sure thing." Squall agreed almost immediately, for some reason or another.

They looked at one another blankly.

"See you there, then!" Cloud finally looked away and ran forward, leaping over the hill that was created when the soil fell into the chamber, and up into the open air, where Squall could no longer see him.

Spotting a T-Rex storming it's way past him, Squall hesitated for a while before jumping and landing on the rex. For now, the beast had other things on his mind. Squall shook his head, remembering how he used to curse the very existence of the monster. Ironic he had to ride it back to his planet like this, eh?

The rex clambered out of the hole and converged along with it's other comrades on the surface, howling and making a din. Squall tried, but failed to find the other three anywhere near him. The absence of their presence suddenly made him afraid, and empty. Quickly shaking the notion out of his head, he concentrated instead, on how he was going to show Cloud around Balamb Garden when they reached 'Terra'.

That's right. 'When', they reached Terra.

He held his breath when the T-Rex was lifted off the ground and was tossed into the air in a straight path towards the other planet.

Before the atmospheric air thinned, he breathed in really deeply and clung tighter to the rex.

*It's gonna be okay... It's gonna be okay...*

-------------------------------

... and thus, the moon began to cry... it cried tears that told tales of horror and pain... tears that would mark it's receiver as scarred and cursed forever...


-------------------------------
ochita
22/ 7/2001
http://cloud-is.ourfamily.com/