Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Celestial Rise ❯ The Emperor's Silence ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Emperor's Silence

Emperor Gestahl was a man of seventy, yet fit and sharp as a general. His high cheek bones were accentuated by his thick, gray mustache. His eyes sunk deeply into their sockets, and the wrinkles on his forehead were defined. He wore a garment made of the finest of all clothing--a pontifical robe of dark red and black that stretched all the way to the ground, hiding even his feet. He had solid gold rings on each finger, boasting brilliantly--cut gems of the rarest quality and size.

The Emperor was in his private herb garden--a dome of self-contained atmosphere and temperature where he could grow special plants and herbs as a hobby. It was his favorite refuge. The silence, broken only by the soft rustling of leaves and gushing of an artificial fountain at the center, was his valued companion. He held a small pair of garden shears in his hand and a bulb of flower on the other. With the shears, he cut off a petal from the flower and threw the small piece into a white dish with dried laurel leaves, chopped up ginseng, and a pinch of red powder taken from a small bottle in his pocket. He mashed the ingredients together with a ceramic pestle, creating a pasty red substance which he then scraped off with a small knife designed for that purpose.

He mixed the substance into his finest bottle of red wine and poured himself a glass. He sipped from the glass and let the warm liquid linger in his mouth for a few seconds, trying to detect the slightest difference in taste from the last glass he had the day before. With an inward smile of satisfaction he swallowed and drank some more. He had grown good herbs this year, and the wine had matured quite extraordinarily. The potion was his secret to good physical and mental health. It was an ancient secret lost a few hundred years ago, rediscovered and re-mastered by himself.

A servant entered the dome and approached him quietly. Normally, the Emperor disliked intrusions in his favored refuge, but today was an exception. The servant was expected, and with him, a message. "My lord, General Cristophe and Advisor Palazzo have arrived," the servant announced.

He needed not look at a clock or a timepiece to know that they were prompt as always. "Are they aware of each other's presence?" he asked.

"No, my Lord. They are not aware, as you have so carefully commanded me," the servant answered clearly. "Advisor Palazzo waits outside the main door. And the general is in the throne room, ready to be transported here at your command."

"I shall see the general first," the emperor decided.

"Very good, my lord."

The servant uttered a word of magic, and he vanished in a flash of light, leaving the emperor alone once again. A few seconds later another flash, brighter than the first, filled the room. Two figures materialized out of thin air. It was the servant and the general in his ornate battle armor. He had been summoned as a general, hence, he came as a general.

General Cristophe took off his helm revealing his mohawk hair--a mark of the highest military honor in Vector. He knelt before the emperor on one knee and bowed his head.

"My lord, I have come without delay as summoned. What is thy bidding?" the general said reverently.

"Rise, Leo, and follow me."

The emperor walked with measured steps across the small plaza of the dome to where he had planted the taller bushes years ago. With his arm, he brushed aside the small branches and leaves of the bushes, revealing an empty patch between the plants big enough for a man to fit in. There was a stool on that spot, made of wood, yet sturdy.

"Sit down, Leo," the emperor commanded. General Cristophe did not hesitate. He stepped through the gap and sat on the stool. The stool held without a creak even with the full weight of his armor. Then the emperor released the branches he was holding back, utterly hiding the general from view. But just as a precaution, the emperor cast a Vanish spell on Leo to render him invisible. "Be still. Be quiet. And listen," the emperor said as his last commands.

With the General Cristophe out of view, he turned to his servant who was still with them and said, "Tell Kefka that I am ready to see him now."

The servant bowed and left quietly.

"I trust that you have heard of what transpired recently?"

"The news disturbed me greatly during my mission, my lord," Leo answered from behind the bushes.

"I have not spoken to any of my advisors since that day. I was deep in thought. Today will be the first that I will speak with Kefka. I ask that you witness his words with me tonight, and then, as a general, you will give me your advice."

Leo took a deep breath out of thrill. "It would be… an honor, my lord!"

The servant returned with Kefka behind him, unintimidated by his presence unlike most others. Kefka was smiling smugly behind him.

"Your highness, Advisor Palazzo is present," the servant announced and then shuffled out of the arboretum.

Kefka bowed from his waist slowly with a vague gesture of reverence.

"Great Emperor, it brings me great joy to see you again still in perfect health. I was worried that the recent episode had you troubled deeply," Kefka began with a pleasant but sly tone of voice.

Emperor Gestahl held his composed facial expression and stern, straight-to-the-point voice. "When did I give the order to stop the experiments for the Slave Crown Project?"

Kefka's smile disappeared, but his smug composure did not. He had anticipated this question from the emperor, and he was prepared.

"My lord, I know where this is going. I assure you that I--"

"When did I give the order to stop the experiments for the Slave Crown Project?" the Emperor repeated without a sign of impatience in his voice. However, it was obvious simply due to the fact that he interrupted Kefka's sentence.

Kefka did well to answer the question quickly after. "Six years ago, my lord. I myself presented to you the document that you signed upon your request, declaring to stop the Slave Crown Experiments."

"Six years ago… and it seems only yesterday that I signed that document shortly after reading the progress report," the emperor continued, still with his composed tone of voice.

"Your highness, those reports were highly inaccurate. They only--"

"It was the progress report for the Slave Crown Experiment in the span of… how long was the experiment in effect?"

"Ten years, my lord."

"Ten years," Emperor Gestahl thoughtfully repeated as he turned to pick up a garden hose conveniently hanging from a small hydrant by the bushes. "In the span of ten years the experiment yielded a virtually non-existent progress percentage of--what was it again?"

Kefka licked his thin lips and swallowed. "The number was very low, my lord, but--"

"0.0012%."

The emperor twisted the knob on top of the small hydrant to turn on the hose. He started watering the plants casually, being careful not to send a jet of water towards Leo's direction.

Kefka agreed in submission. His point would be heard sooner or later. He just needed to be patient.

"Then tell me, Kefka. Why is Subject B wearing a Slave Crown on her head?"

Kefka took a deep breath before he answered. "Because, my lord, it works!"

"Ah! Well I suppose that makes it all better. But there is that one problem concerning it. You took a great risk of putting that on her. We could've lost her."

The emperor's voice was still calm. But the way he said the words seemed like they were spoken through gritted teeth. Though it was not evident, the emperor was furious.

"No, my lord, I did not. If you would allow me to explain, I am sure that you would find my decision to be the most prudent and sensible," Kefka stated. It was not a request.

"Please do, Kefka. Because this fact has me the most troubled."

"My lord, sixteen years ago, when we started the Slave Crown Project we were working with extremely limited knowledge about the nature of magic. We have gained a lot more during those years! And my own team has continued the research implementing those new discoveries to the fullest. It was all thanks to Cid del Norte Marguez's independent ground-breaking discoveries of magic. We've figured out what we were doing wrong. And we've managed to find ways around stumbling blocks. We continued the research till we perfected the first prototype!" Kefka said triumphantly. "And as you have no doubt already seen, it works perfectly."

"The end justifies the means only when I allow it, Kefka!" Emperor Gestahl's brows furrowed. "You disobeyed my order and continued the Slave Crown Experiments under my nose! I don't like that, Kefka. I don't like operations happening without my knowledge."

"Please do not be upset, my lord, for I did not disobey your order. Your order was to stop the experiments on human subjects. It was not to stop the research entirely!" Kefka said quickly as an excuse.

"You dare bring up this pathetic loophole before me?"

Kefka bowed again from his waist and said, "It was to be my gift to you, my lord. I continued the research on my own. I used my own resources in testing the prototype. We did not test on humans after you have so clearly commanded. But we did test on animals and did extensive simulations for the human brain. We got the results up to perfection! There was no risk, my lord. And all these, I did for you! For the Empire!"

The Emperor glanced towards the general's direction and then turned the water off. Kefka was still prostrated on the spot, unmoved, until the emperor ordered him to be at ease again.

"A gift?" Emperor Gestahl asked, his composure, returning gradually.

"Nothing less, my lord. I know better than to cross you."

"I don't like surprises, Kefka. A true emperor likes to see every piece on the chessboard before they are moved--and should they be moved it would be with my knowledge and permission. Is this understood, Kefka?"

"Absolutely, my lord. It will never happen again," Kefka promised.

"I trust that you have the proper documents to give to Cid's science team concerning this... gift? I'm sure they would like to see your own team's findings and accomplishments."

"I will personally give the documents to Cid myself, my lord."

"And Subject B?"

"What of her, my lord?"

"How is she faring on her crown enslavement?"

"In mind, she is no more. Her body is ours to control. We can still use her to bring us to our goal, my lord," Kefka promptly answered.

"So she is dead?"

"Her cognitive activities that define her will have ceased to exist. But her body is in perfect health. She is now in a stasis cell, protected from all possible physical threats, shielded from disease, and heavily guarded in the same laboratory that she broke into."

"Is there a chance that she would wake up from this… state?"

"Impossible, my lord."

"So tell me, Kefka. What else do you have planned that should involve my knowledge and permission?"

"I have none, my lord. But I do have a suggestion."

"I am listening."

"Now that we have perfected the Slave Crown Technology, I suggest that we mass produce it. We can use it against our enemies. Think of the possibilities!"

"I plan to rule a world of the living, Kefka. Not mindless slaves."

"I simply meant to increase manpower in our campaign, my lord. You yourself said it. You want full control of the pieces on the board. With the slave crowns, loyalty is guaranteed. The slaves will fight with no fear and with no regard to their lives. They will not hesitate to charge into battle. And they're combat skills will not be compromised."

The emperor looked uninterested, but he did pause in thought. "I shall think about it."

Kefka frowned at the emperor's lack of enthusiasm. "Furthermore, we can also crown… Subject A.," Kefka spoke ominously.

Emperor Gestahl's eyes stared straight into Kefka's. For a split second, the emperor's eyes showed a glint of disapproval. "Perhaps that would not be necessary."

"Maybe not, my lord. But it would surely speed things up!" Kefka argued.

"I like my chess pieces to move at a comfortable pace. However, I shall consider it."

Kefka frowned again, but held his tongue back. It would do him no good to push his suggestion.

"Very well, my lord. Shall I order the production of a few more slave crowns?"

"No," the emperor simply said. "I shall accept this… gift. You do not need to do any more concerning it. You will have all the research documentations given to Cid. He will be in charge of it from now on."

Kefka was appalled at the idea. "But, my lord-" Kefka began to protest.

"It is not your place to handle such tasks, Kefka. Cid and his team will be more than qualified to put such operation into effect--after they have done extensive reviews of your team's findings."

"A wise decision, my lord, but do you not think that--"

"You will move on to the next phase of our plan which I consider more important. I trust no one else to do it. I expect the same kind of devotion that you have demonstrated to me to the next phase. I know that you will not fail me." The Emperor Gestahl said the last sentence in a tone of such finality that Kefka thought it best not to say any more.

Kefka bowed one last time and dismissed himself from the arboretum. The emperor made sure that Kefka made it outside the dome before he spoke again.

"Come to me, Leo."

A rustle was heard as the branches and leaves of the bushes parted to let an invisible entity through. The general reappeared before the emperor, still holding his helm.

"What have you heard?"

"Everything, my lord," Leo answered in a stern voice.

"Then tell me… what do you think of this Slave Crown Technology?"

"Personally, my lord, I don't trust it."

"Neither do I, Leo. At least, not yet. I shall wait for Cid's analysis before I even consider implementing it."

"A very wise decision, my lord. It did not feel as if Adviser Palazzo was telling the whole truth."

The emperor smiled and chuckled. "That is precisely the reason I summoned you here, Leo. I trust not even him."

"Begging your pardon, my lord, but why do you tolerate his presence in the Empire? Surely, your other advisers are more trustworthy and aptly competent. Not to mention, unconditionally compliant."

"Indeed, Leo. Your words are true. But I have much use for Kefka that I cannot reveal to you. He may be a loose cannon, but his audacity and guile in a certain… field is much needed. Just as your skills and expertise on the battlefield is irreplaceable. I am aware that he is not a very popular character in the Empire, to say the least, but just like you, Leo, I have no doubt that he will help us achieve our goal," the emperor explained calmly.

Leo doubted it very much, but he had to be careful with his words.

"It is not my place, after all, to ask such questions, my lord," he said sternly.

"Enough of that. What do you think of his decision to use the slave crown on Branford?"

"Unacceptable, my lord! He should have asked for your permission on such things."

"Indeed. It was what infuriated me more when I heard of what transpired. But we cannot let what's been done to plague us. It's too late for that. If the slave crowning process is reversible, there would still be no point in doing it. She's as good as dead. Without the crown, her body will perish.

"However, I do not wish for this to happen again. Subject A must be protected, Leo. Kefka will surely find an excuse to use the Slave Crown Technology on her. I know that he will disobey me again. And he knows that there is nothing that I can do to stop him."

Leo was flabbergasted at the thought. "Impossible, my lord! You are the emperor. Your word is the law. You are the law!"

"I have, in my possession, four keys to winning this campaign. You, Subject A and Subject B are but three. Kefka is the last, and he knows it. I cannot control him as easily as you would think. You are amenable because of your loyalty. Kefka is… conforming because he, too, needs me. But he is impatient. I'm afraid that he will ruin everything with his recklessness."

"Command me, my lord! Tell me how to ease your troubles, and I shall not fail you!"

"I have a plan, Leo, and Kefka must not know that I am behind it. For every move I make to turn the tides to my favor, he has a counter-move to turn it to his. Therefore, this plan is something that I cannot directly organize for I am predictable. He knows my intentions well. I have summoned you here from your duty in Doma temporarily to assign to you an odd mission. You are to make a move for me that will throw his schemes off-balance. You will protect the two other keys from him. And I know just how to do it."