Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Celestial Rise ❯ Runaway Train ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Runaway Train

"Professor?"

"Shh! Not now! I'm in the middle of something," Cid said, annoyed.

Complex mathematical equations ran through his head faster than he could write them. It was unstoppable. He had lit the fuse of the question hoping to blast the rock that covered the answer to pieces. He was like a miner strategically planting the dynamites on the surface of the rock, and like all experienced miners, he had better be careful with where and how he placed them. A dynamite in the wrong place, at a wrong position could set the entire cave into complete collapse up to its adit. However, obvious differences existed between a miner and a scientist. The scientist, for the most part, was safe. And the scientist's method was likened to lighting the fuse first before it was known to him where to place the dynamite.

Cid both liked and disliked this cascade of thoughts. As the numbers became clearer in his head, it meant he was on the right track and speeding towards breakthrough. But he was wary about it, too. He felt that going too fast with the calculations would derail his train of thought or perhaps overshoot its destination. It was a curse of his own ingenuity. Running the complex equations in his mind at this rate made him more susceptible to forgetfulness and mistakes. But sometimes, letting his mind go at its own speed allowed him to gain enough intellectual momentum to make incredible leaps and bounds.

Cid knew very well that he could not fully control the rate of mental calculations. Doing so took more effort which often led to mental blocks which he could not easily get around of. This train is going to derail no matter what, he thought once to himself. Might as well enjoy the ride and measure the ground it will cover while it's still on track.

So there he was, frantically scribbling numbers and symbols and notations that only he could hope to understand. He felt like a student who took notes from a professor who lectured incredibly fast, hoping to capture most (if not all) of the words that spewed from the lecturer's mouth--hoping to be able to make sense of it at the end.

His colleagues knew him well enough to leave him alone. Most of the time they did it for their own sakes. Cid del Norte Marguez had been known to be unpleasant if disturbed at the most critical of times. Two skilled scientists had made the mistake of interrupting him from his deepest thoughts before and were now serving the science team by doing the most menial of tasks as punishment--pushing papers and counting tacks.

His assistant's voice was enough for his train of thought to change course and speed. The engine faltered, and his mental calculations continued to churn out numbers that didn't make sense to him.

Panic.

He looked back at the last equation he had written down, hoping to spot the error and salvage the momentum. Indeed, Cid knew it was going to derail, but the best he could do at the situation was to make it stay on the track just a little longer. He needed to complete a certain sequence of numbers so that, at the very least, he could come back to his notes and restart the engine where it stopped, instead of going back to square one.

Seven… thirty-three… twenty-eight… zero… zero… twen--

"Cid?" said a voice, softly. It was a very familiar voice that made him drop everything that he was doing… or thinking. It was a friendly voice, but his immediate reaction was that of concern and extreme puzzlement. The fact that the voice alone was heard demanded explanation.

Celes!?

Cid looked away from his notes with a slight wince as though in pain. It felt like he had just dropped a priceless crystal art figure on the floor. His heart sank at the lost effort of salvaging the numbers. But the loss did not linger long enough to torment him for his mental faculty had found a newer challenge--a new puzzle that would bring him more satisfaction if (or once) solved--or so he hoped.

"Celes?! What are you doing here?!" he exclaimed in surprise. The tone of his voice made it sound like a law had been broken.

"Hi, Cid!" Celes returned cheerfully with a smile on her face. "I just thought I'd drop by to surprise you in person."

Cid's mouth hung open for a moment. He could not decide which question to ask first. Finally-- "Surprise me in person? Just by being here in person for whatever the reason is a great surprise! Who let you in here?" Cid asked, glancing at his assistant who just shrugged from behind Celes.

"I did!" she said with a beaming smile.

Cid caught on quickly. "You got promoted! Now that's another surprise!" Cid exclaimed. "Joshua, get us a bottle of champagne to celebrate. Quickly now!" he ordered his assistant.

"Uh… yes, professor!" the assistant said, leaving Celes and Cid in the office.

"Goodness! From First Lieutenant to Major! You skipped the rank of a captain!"

Celes wanted to correct him immediately, but she was curious about one thing. "Major? How do you figure?"

"Well, only majors and above are allowed to show their faces in here with the proper clearances," Cid answered sounding very logical and obvious. "This explains why you didn't show up for your medical testing after you promised to," Cid stated pointedly with a slight smile.

Celes laughed weakly, almost embarrassed. "That would be the main reason," she admitted humbly. "I'm sorry, Cid."

"You should've contacted me or Dr. Deregasi. We both have been really worried."

"I know. I should've, but when I heard about the promotion, it was quite a shock!"

"Yes. I understand."

"I'm not quite sure you do, Cid," she said. "I mean… I fainted!"

Cid's face grew stern and serious. "Fainted? Literally? Are you all right?" Cid asked, talking fast.

"Yes, Cid. I'm fine. But I have yet to tell you the real surprise."

"The real surprise?" Cid repeated in confusion.

"I--" Celes started to say when a voice from a comm device interrupted her.

"Master Director Marguez? Professor, please answer."

Cid motioned for Celes to hold her answer for just a moment as he went around behind his desk to answer the call. "Forgive me. This is coming from a very important channel. I cannot ignore it." Cid flicked a switch and spoke. "This is Professor Marguez. Who's speaking please?"

"Good evening, Professor. This is Skarman, General Cristophe's personal aide," answered the voice.

"Good evening, Mr. Skarman. What can I do for you?"

"I've just been informed that the new general has scheduled an appointment to go to the lab today. It is most likely that the general will want to have a guided tour of the lab."

"Indeed?" Cid asked worriedly. "I was not aware of it, sir."

"I apologize, Professor. It was rather sudden for us, too, but General Cristophe is confident that you will make everything ready for the V.I.P."

"Goodness! There is so much to prepare! What would the general like to see?" Cid asked.

"Actually, I--" Celes started to say, but Cid urgently motioned--begged--for her to be silent for just a few more seconds.

"Do not concern yourself very much, Professor. This is supposed to be an informal visit," Skarman answered.

"Yes, yes… of course. Thank you very much, sir. I shall make the preparations immediately!"

Cid flicked off the comm device and got up quickly.

"I'm sorry, Celes. But there is much to do at the moment!"

"But, Cid I--"

"Excuse me a second, dear," he said quickly as he walked past her. "Joshua!"

His assistant appeared at the door seemingly out of breath. He carried with him two empty glasses and a bottle of champagne.

"Joshua!" Cid exclaimed. "What are you doing with that thing?!"

"But, professor, you--"

"Never mind that, Joshua! Didn't you hear? The new general is coming! Spread the word to the entire science team immediately!"

"Y-yes, professor. B-but what about the--"

"Oh, give me those!" Cid said in irritation as he took the bottle and glasses from his assistant.

Celes tried to say something again. "Cid, I have to tell you something."

Cid handed her the bottle and glasses suddenly that Celes almost dropped them. "Please, dear, put that some place, will ya? Careful now!" He didn't' give her the chance to speak after. He went out the door, pushing his assistant on the way.

"Cid!" Celes called out after him but either he didn't hear or he ignored her. Celes followed him outside and through the corridors.

It was a different kind of corridor. It was bustling with activity. The walls had large glass windows where one could look into and observe the scientists working on different machines, and counting numbers. He tapped on each one of them as he passed by them making a deliberate signal with his hands. It was a signal Celes wasn't familiar with, but she discovered for it to mean "Look busy!" or "Hurry up!" when the people inside seemed to hasten their work.

"Joshua, I want you to get down to the M-Level, and tell them that the new general is coming. Tell them to drop the new prototypes their working on, and bring out last week's prototypes instead. Particularly the ones that are big and shiny, and that make loud sounds, and drill holes through slabs of metal." He glanced towards Celes and added, "Military freaks love that kind of stuff."

"Cid, this really isn't necessary. I--"

"Joshua, what are you still doing here?! Go! Run! The new general will be here any minute now!" The assistant ran ahead of them. "You were saying something, Celes?" Cid asked without stopping in his quickened pace. Celes was still clutching at the glasses and bottle.

"We need to stop, Cid. It's ver--"

Cid stopped abruptly in front of a large door that Celes almost bumped into him from behind. "What kind of clearance did you say you have?" Cid asked again, interrupting Celes.

"Er…"

"Never mind. I trust you anyway!" Cid said as he turned towards the door, pulling a key card from his lab coat. He swiped it across a slit on the door, and the door beeped loudly. The door hissed and slid to the side.

"Cid--" she started again.

"What are you people doing?!" he exclaimed at the top of his lungs towards a team of perplexed scientists. "Clean up this mess right now and look busy! Don't you know that the new general is coming to visit the lab?"

"Professor, we were just making those calculations that you--"

"I did those calculations already in my office. Now put on some lead suits and everybody jump into the fryer!"

The scientists all scrambled to remove the paperwork off a huge desk and started to evacuate the room.

"Fryer?" she asked with uncertainty.

"It's just a nickname for the Level-three radiation room. Being there makes them look like they're doing something," he said with a wink. "Anyway, you were about to tell me something? Speak up fast, Celes, and--what are you still doing with those?" Cid asked as he noticed the bottle of champagne.

"I-uh--"

"Those aren't allowed in here. Quickly… find a waste basket. No, wait! Those are expensive. Give them to me."

Celes held them out for Cid to take but Cid got distracted again. She sighed loudly in exasperation.

"Fischer! You're coming with me!" he said as he walked past Celes. She could do nothing but follow them again. "The new general is coming. You're coming with me to greet him outside. What is that thing you're wearing? Is that coffee stain? Good grief, man! Put on a lead jacket!"

"The new general, sir? I did not know he was coming in today," Fischer said nervously.

"Nobody did. You know how these big military freaks are. You think they own the place. They like to surprise us now and again to check up on us. No offense, Celes."

"None taken," she said with a smirk on her face. Cid walked out of the room and the two followed him. "Cid, would you please listen to what I have to say?" Celes pleaded.

"In a minute, Celes. I need to practice my introduction. Darn it! I need my key staff with me! Where the hell are they?"

Fischer was ready to answer. "Sir, Samar and Jade are in the C-Lab. The others are all over the place."

"Ugh!" he said in disgust. "Never mind I'll find a replacement. It's only for show anyw--you!" Cid shouted as he saw a young man emerge from what looked like a broom closet. "You're coming with me!"

The puzzled gentleman did as he was ordered without a word. Celes found it rather amusing how Cid managed to form a new Key Staff within seconds just by pointing at the people he saw on the way. After capturing about five hapless people with him he started to explain the situation.

"All you need to do is nod and smile. I forbid you to say anything. I do the talking. The new general will be shaking your hands. Are your hands clean? Good! Maybe you may say something like how it's an honor to have him here with us and--confound it!" Cid stopped in his tracks again and turned towards the people behind him. "I forgot to ask for his name! Celes, do you know the new general's name?"

"As a matter of fact, I do, Cid! It's--"

"You! What are you doing with that thing?! You're supposed to be my C-Lab key officer, for crying out loud! Drop that mop and bucket! And you! Put away that sandwich this second!"

"But, sir, I'm just with the maintenance crew," the man tried to explain.

"Well, I just promoted you as one of my main officers. Your first job is to nod and smile and agree with me, do you understand?! You get your pay at the end of the day, and then you're fired," Cid said firmly. With that he turned around and started to walk again.

"So you know the name, eh, Celes? Good. Perhaps you can do the introductions instead. What are you still doing with those?" he asked again, eyeing the champagne.

"If you're not going to liste--"

"Oh! Great idea, Celes! We can tell the new general it's for him. But we need more glasses."

"No, we don't, Cid! We only--"

"You're right!" Cid said quickly as he took hold of the glasses. He spotted a waste basket on the side and threw them away. "Let's just tell the new general that the bottle is a gift. Is it still chilled?"

He didn't wait for Celes to answer that question. Cid led the way to the main entrance of the building. It was the same entrance that Celes took. It was the entrance where Jasom Keep was stationed at. The four interior guards stood up when they saw the group of scientists arrive. They all saluted at the same time. Cid was taken aback at the gesture when he thought that they were saluting to him but then he remembered Celes behind him.

"At ease!" she said simply.

The guards opened the door to the lobby. They saw Jasom Keep behind the guard's desk outside. Jasom stood up to salute, but Celes motioned for him to remain at ease.

"Jasom!" Cid called. "Is the general on his way here?"

Jasom, looking confused, nervously asked, "The general?"

"Yes!" Cid answered impatiently. "He's supposed to visit the lab today."

"I was not aware that General Cristophe would be--" Jasom started to say.

"No, no! I'm talking about the new general!"

Jasom was more confused than he ever was now. He leaned to the side a bit to look at Celes, who was rolling her eyes up at the moment.

"Professor, the general is here," Jasom answered.

"He is?! Where?" Cid looked around like a prey would after detecting a predator nearby.

Jasom raised his hand hesitantly and pointed past Cid and the other people behind him. The key staff parted to the side to look behind them. In the middle stood Celes, leaning on one leg, her arms folded across her chest, and her right hand, still clutching at the bottle of champagne by its neck.

Cid could not understand it at first, but then his face paled and his mouth hung open in realization.

He was speechless.

"Can we toast to my big promotion now, Cid?"