Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Few, The Proud ❯ The Few, The Proud ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: The Few, the Proud
Author/Artist: GuiltyRed
Rating: PG
Warnings: none
Word count: 425
Summary: Ever wonder why there are so few Turks in “Advent Children”?
Prompt: Turks in any configuration: Blowing off steam - "Well, that was unsatisfying."



Reno slung his arm across the new guy's shoulders - what the hell was his name? Oh yeah, Tony. Timmy? Whatever. “So, you ready to be a full-fledged Turk?”

Across the room, Rude signaled to Elena. They rose casually and converged on the redhead and his protégé.

Jason fidgeted with his tie a moment before nodding. “Yes, sir! Though, I thought I already was field-approved - do I need some kind of special training?”

“You do.” Reno turned toward the cabinet behind him and flung the door open. “Right here is the heart of Turk operations. Until you master this, you are not truly one of us.”

The new kid looked inside. “It's…a coffee maker.”

“Not just any coffee maker,” Reno announced as Elena muffled a snicker. “This baby was sent to us by Research, yo. It makes a brew of caffeine and materia that'll put hair on your chest, and it's what makes Turks so damn hard to kill.”

Jason's eyes went wide and nervous. “M-m-materia? You drink materia? In your coffee?”

Rude cleared his throat. “Sometimes we have it in tea.”

Reno reached in and switched the machine on. An ominous hum rose from somewhere beneath the cabinet, shaking the floor. Greenish smoke billowed through the coffee filter as nearly-black liquid poured into the carafe. Reno gestured proudly at the burbling machine and said, “It'll be done in a minute. Then you get your first taste of honest-to-shit Turk medicine, yo. With that in your system, even a meeting with the president hisself won't faze you, and SOLDIERs will bow down in awe of your massive, er…”

“Constitution!” Elena blurted, trying damn hard not to laugh.

The redhead leered at her and winked. “That too.”

The coffee maker chose that moment to finish its cycle with a loud, rattling belch.

Reno picked up a Shinra coffee mug with dubious green stains and filled it slowly, making sure the new kid had a good look at the thick dark liquid rolling down the sides. Green steam wafted around his hands as he turned and offered the cup to Timmy - Jason - whatever.

“I, er, think I have to be at a meeting! Rain check!” The newest Turk bolted for the door, setting a new record for length of stay in their esteemed ranks.

“Well, fuck.” Reno lifted the mug to his lips and drank. “That was unsatisfying.”

Without warning, Tseng's disapproving voice sounded right behind him. “Reno.”

The redhead flinched and braced himself for a thorough chewing-out. “Yes, sir?”

“Next time, go easy on the dry ice.”