Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Green Flame ❯ Chapter 6

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter Six

YYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY!!! *Dances around the room with glee* I got a review… I got a review… I got a review… I got a review… I got a review…*Dances some more* I think you get the point… Hehe…Anyway, I would like to thank my one and only reviewer besides Starzie. KH-FF lover I will always remember this day *dances on the way to the calendar* Here's a hundred Pico's!! Okay!! I'll write, I swear! I have things to keep me busy. Like music, and …stuff. *Flicks open butane lighter with a green flame* Ironic, neh??? Oh well, I will let those who enjoy the fic more than my rambling do what they came here to do… *Huggles her Kurama blanky* TYPE!

Tom stood outside the door, transfixed at the sight. Rinoa was in the room, a white light around her and Lexa. He had never seen her use her sorceress abilities before, and they were truly amazing. He had always wondered why men had never been able to wield such power. Now, he had grasped a small portion: Men could never look beautiful and graceful and powerful all at once. He saw that in Lexa when she was fighting, and now he saw it in the Commander's wife.

Snapping out of his state, he walked forward so that Lexa could see him when she woke up. She must have fallen asleep while I was gone. Squall saw him and walked towards him. He leaned close as not to disturb his wife and whispered to Tom.

"She should be fine enough to take the exam tomorrow. Rinoa's good at healing, but just in case, I want you to keep an eye on her with me. Two heads are better than one and all that."

Tom, not wanting to disturb anyone either, just nodded his assent and kept watching. Not a few seconds later did the sorceress cease her ministrations. "There you go, Doctor," she said with a smile. "All better. Do you think she'll be able to take the exam tomorrow?"

************************

Dr. Kadowaki walked up and ran some scans with the upgraded Estharian equipment. Only the scanners had been upgraded so far, and everything else was in disarray. She really hoped they'd hurry up with that. What's a doctor without her equipment? She watched the screen as the results of test that would normally take hours to administer rolled across the screen in mere seconds. (A/N: I'm thinking along the lines of the Star Trek medical tricorders here. Ignore my nerdiness. *Sigh*) Satisfied, she smiled a little, set the scanner aside, and turned to address Rinoa. "As always, whenever you heal someone, it's quite effective. No trace of previous damage. Everything indicates that she's young, healthy, and ready to take her exam."

Sam breathed a sigh of relief at the doctor's words, and smiled at Tom. Tom smiled right back, though his was two times wide.

"I'm going to wake her up and keep her here for about a half an hour to make sure she's all right. Then I'll release her into your or Rinoa's care," she directed at Squall. "I trust to see one of you here then."

Squall looked at Rinoa. They seemed to reach a mutual agreement and turned back to the doctor. Squall spoke, "I'll be here in an hour Doctor, make sure she's ready. But right now you need to know that there will be casualties during the mission tomorrow. Quistis will be down here first thing to help you prepare. I've called President Loire about getting his technicians over here to finish the job. They ought to be here soon. I want you to make sure everything's in order. Can you handle that? Or should I get Xu down here as well?" Squall didn't seem to be underestimating her; he just didn't want to overload her if his look was any indication.

"No," she said with a smile, "I think Quistis and I can handle the job just fine. You'll need Xu as a tactician. It's what she's best at."

Rinoa smiled at her and took her husband's hand. "He'll be back in an hour, Doctor. Use your time well." She led him out of the room and the door shut behind them.

***********************

Sam watched quietly as the Doctor roused Lexa. Her green eyes opened as if from a long night's sleep and she looked at Tom. "Ow," she said and then smiled. At his quizzical look, she explained, "I couldn't say it before, so I'm saying it now. Can't keep things bottled up forever!" She laughed and winked. The Doctor intervened before a tease-fest could begin.

"Lexa, dear, Squall never did tell any of us what exactly happened. Care to fill us in?"

Lexa's face went serious as she reached for Tom's hand. She carefully explained how they were talking (about what, she wouldn't say) and the T-Rexaurs had popped up. She had no idea that they could coordinate an attack and then she explained her fight up until she was finished decimating the last threat. "After that, I don't remember," She finished.

Sam then stepped forward, feeling that he was being too quiet in this conversation. He said what (basically) he and Tom had seen up until the point where Lexa arrived in the infirmary. Dr. Kadowaki `knew' the rest.

Dr. Kadowaki wasn't really listening to the cadets. She was watching for their emotional reactions. Lexa seemed disturbed that she was capable of such destruction, and Tom looked proud and shocked at the same time. Proud that Lexa took out four T-Rexaurs, and shocked because of the same. Sam was interested, but he looked as though he was hiding something. You don't treat people for years without learning them very well.

She raised an eyebrow at him and asked, "Anything else?"

He cocked a smirk at her and replied, "Why? Does it sound like there should be? You know, I'm sure those technicians wouldn't mind scanning your memory to make sure it's functional."

"Watch it young man. I can always perform `emergency' surgery. There are perks to being a doctor."

Sam just grinned even wider and said, "Yes, Ma'am."

Judging from that short conversation, nothing seemed to be wrong with Mr. Fox, besides the fact that he was worried. Must have a case of exam jitters.

"The commander will be here in a few minutes to release you. I'm going to see if those damn technicians are here yet. I mean, really, leaving my office and equipment in shambles . . . " She mumbled obscenities as she went to look for them.

The three teens stifled their giggles as the doctor left their vicinity. Then, when she was out of earshot, burst out laughing.

Whee! There's chapter six. This was originally the second part of chapter five, but then that chapter would have been six pages in word. Too damn long if you ask me. So, I'll get to writing and typing more for my fics. Thanks to readers, even if not all of them review. Just one when I check makes me happy………Later, RedFox.