Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ The Puppet of Entropy ❯ Don't I have the right to cry? ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Puppet of Entropy.
 
Disclaimer: I own nothing except Sakura Hayakawa.
 
 
Chap 5: Don't I have the right to cry?
 
 
Sakura was floating in the darkness. Her mind was oscillating between dizziness and plain unconsciousness. She felt as if she was restrained by strings on all her limbs: A parody of a doll hanging in the abyss.
 
“Is it prudent to summon her each time her spirit is not in the here and now?”
 
The only ones capable to detect our work are those who want the renewal of Spira.”
 
And it is necessary to have her at hand to make the adjustments needed.”
 
I'm curious why she didn't try to activate the others parts yet.”
 
Fear. Pure, simple and plain fear. Although I have been surprised when they worked together against Tros.”
 
“Why?”
 
`He' was never a team player. Even if `he' wanted to protect his wielder, `he' would have simply take complete control and not follow her will.”
 
I am sensing that she is more aware than she should be.”
 
It is of no importance. She is just a slave, our slave.”
 
1234567890987654321
 
The Japanese girl found herself completely awake and…underwater. She erupted to the surface coughing and sputtering under a magnificent blue sky and a gorgeous sun. Apparently, she was near a tropical beach with water up to her waist. Her clothes were ragged and she missed her shoes but curiously, her skin was not wrinkled by the long exposure to the sea-water.
 
“Rikku!” She turned to the scream and smiled as she recognized Tidus then frowned. Where was their Al Bhed saviour?
 
The blond young man felt relief when he saw his comrade-in-pain. “Hey, Sakura!” While he was staring up to the black-haired girl, something struck him in the head. He barely made out figures on the beach and before him was a blue… “Blitzball!”
 
“Are you all right?” screamed one of the men on the beach.
 
Tidus smiled and yelled back to the men. “Heeey!” He then took the ball and dove underwater. The ball then came up out of the water, followed by Tidus a moment later. As the ball reached the apex of its flight, Tidus flipped upside down and smashed the ball towards the beach in a perfect bicycle kick. To the inexperienced eyes of Sakura, the ball went sailing towards the beach at about twice the speed it flew before, narrowly missing the person who had yelled at the teenagers, sailing by his head.
 
“Whoa-ho!” The man was orange-haired with a most peculiar cut which looked like a swept back crest-wave and smirked to the five men behind him. All were wearing the same yellow uniform that reminded the schoolgirl of the Blitzball uniforms in Zanarkand.
 
The two displaced persons started to swim towards the beach. Sakura was not feeling very good. Her whole body was very sore and she felt famished. Well, at least, they will be on land for now.
 
1234567890987654321
 
It was perhaps the fatigue or perhaps she was manipulated again but Sakura found herself quite a distance to the right of the group. She blinked. She was more exhausted than she thought. She then remarked the chest almost completely hidden under the sand and vegetation. Intrigued, she managed to open it without too much difficulty to find a curious symbol of silver in the form of a crescent moon and 2 vials of a bright green liquid. Shaking her head, she hastily put the items in her belt and rushed to rejoin Tidus and the group on the beach.
 
Tidus was all smiles. “Yo! Hiya!”
 
“You wanna try that move one more time?” The orange haired man tossed another ball at Tidus as he headed back into the water. He then copied the technique he had done earlier. Tidus and Sakura both sensed that they may get some real help this time around. “You're no amateur. Who you play for?”
 
“The Zanarkand Abes!”
 
The group of same dressed men glanced at each other with a confused look painted on each of their faces and the eyes of the Japanese girl widened as she remembered the warning given by Rikku. The orange-haired man blinked. “What team you say again?”
 
“Uh…I mean…forget that. I got too close to Sin and…uh…my head's all foggy-like. So I don't know where this place is or even where I came from.”
 
The man turned to Sakura. “And you? Do you remember where you come from? Were you too close to Sin also?”
 
The schoolgirl ignored the silent warnings of the Blond young man. “Yes. I remember although I was near Sin. I come from an island called Japan.”
 
The man crossed his arms, thinking a moment then shrugged. “Can't say I remember an island called Japan, ya. But, oh well, can't know every little islands around here.” He smiled, not remarking the sudden paleness of the young girl. “Sin's toxin must have gotten to both of you. But, you're still alive. Praise be to Yevon!”
 
The whole group then gave the two teenagers a curious salute: Right forearm over the left, they moved their hands in a circle in front of them, before moving them into a rough sphere shape and bowing.
 
“All right, back to practice!” The others dispersed off at the order of the orange-haired man, apparently having been in the middle of blitzball practice before. “I'm Wakka, coach and captain of the Besaid Aurochs, brudda.”
 
The empty stomach of Tidus answered Wakka, promptly followed by the twin response of the stomach of Sakura.
 
“What? You hungry? Okay! Back to the village. I'll get you two somethin'!”
 
Sakura smiled a little, embarrassed and bowed in gratitude. “I thank you, captain Wakka. My name is Sakura and my companion is Tidus.”
 
As he walked, Tidus tried to organize his thoughts about the situation so far. `I thought Wakka was a pretty nice guy, so I tried asking...' “Hey, Zanarkand was destroyed by Sin 1000 years ago, right? I guess it's all just a ruin now.”
 
Wakka stopped and turned to Tidus. “A long time ago, there were many incredible cities in Spira. They were large cities full of machinery or Machina, noisy even at night. It was because everyone was having interesting and strange fun with the power of Machina. But now…look.” He gestured to some old ruins dotting the beach. “Suddenly Sin appeared, and all the Machina-cities were destroyed. Of course, that includes Zanarkand. That happened about 1000 years ago. So, what you said was true. Well, Sin got carried away. It's some punishment for people. Really…it makes me so ANGRY to think that WE have to suffer because of the faults of people so long ago. Of course, it's an important duty for people of today to atone for their sins. That, I understand. Yes, but sometimes I just...”
 
Tidus was crushed by what he heard. `It's just like what Rikku said. There's no reason for Wakka or Rikku to lie to me.'
 
Sakura stayed silent. The faint hope that she was still in her world had been obliterate by Wakka. He had no reason to lie and who on Earth had not heard of Japan. A `little island'? Where was she, in the name of God? As typical Japanese, she learned early how to not make any waves. It would be preferable for her and Tidus to stay silent and listen to every little scrap of knowledge.
 
Wakka suddenly laughed, breaking through the sombre silence, before grabbing Tidus around the neck in a headlock, and giving him a noogie. Tidus tried desperately to squirm his way out. “But you from the Zanarkand Abes. That was a good one! Hey, I'm not saying the team never existed, ya? But you gotta figure a team living in luxury like that'd be pretty soft, eh?”
 
Tidus just smiled a crooked smile before walking off ahead. All he was thinking of was how he may be able to get back to Zanarkand by meeting Sin again. He didn't care where or when Sin may take him. He then felt the light hand of Sakura on his shoulder.
 
“He doesn't know Tidus.” She softly whispered. “I don't think he can imagine what happened to us, less helping us directly except by telling us more about this world.” She held her typical sad smile. “Try to take it one day apiece, it's much easier.”
 
“Hey! It's this way!” The two teenagers turned and ran back to Wakka. After a moment, they came to a large cliff, overlooking a lagoon of some sort. Tidus looked down into the water and found himself flying down the cliff because of a push by Wakka.
 
Sakura turned angrily to the Auroch coach. “Captain Wakka! What are you doing?!”
 
“Hey! Hey! It's just a shortcut. Beside, taking the other way is more dangerous. There are fiends, ya know.”
 
The Japanese schoolgirl sighed and considered the distance to the water. She knew how to swim but it was a `bit' higher than the diving board at the swimming pool of the school. She then felt the hand of Wakka pushing her and screamed as she plummeted to the surface of the water.
 
She surfaced, coughing water. Wakka followed down the cliff in a perfect dive and laughed to the furious face of the green-eyed girl when he surfaced. “WAKKA NO BAKA!” She waved her fist to the soon-to-die orange-haired man.
 
“Hey? What did you say?”
 
“I SAID YOU ARE AN IDIOT!”
 
The face of Wakka lost his smile and considered the young girl. “Say, it was not Al Bhed, ya?”
 
“Huh? No, it was Japanese, my native tongue.”
 
Wakka beamed again. “Ah! You're one from the lost islands that recently been rediscovered, ya? Explain your clothes and language. Praise be to Yevon that you learn Spiran.” He then turned and swam vigorously down the lagoon.
 
Able to dive and stay a long time underwater, Tidus found some chests partially buried under the sand. He gleefully recuperated the items inside and put them in his pockets. To the stupefaction of Sakura, the same type of pocket as her belt, capable to hold a great number of small items, was common in this world since Wakka had the same pockets. It was another sign that Spira was more like the original world of Tidus than her own Earth. Was this possible? Sin made them travel 1000 years in the future of Zanarkand?
 
As they drew closer to the end of the lagoon Wakka put Tidus into a headlock.
 
“Lemme go!”
 
“I got a favour to ask ya.” Wakka stated frankly.
 
“You want me on your team, right?” Wakka let him slip out of his headlock and down into the water.
 
“A major blitz tournament's coming up. All the teams in Spira'll be there! It's so huge, I'm sure someone there will recognize you! Then you can go back to your old team, right? It'll be fun! What do you say, huh? Come on, come on!”
 
“Sure thing.”
 
“Thanks. I'm counting on you at the tournament.”
 
Coming out of the water, the group walked a while as Wakka continued to speak about him and his village. “I was born there and started playing blitzball when I was 5 years old. At 13, I started playing with the Besaid Aurochs…and I've now been playing for 10 years.” He scratched his head. “But, even after 10 years, I have not even won once at the big tournament.” He paused. “Had to back out of last year's big tournament at the end. Well, after withdrawing from the competition, I started a new job. But whenever I get a little discouraged, I would think about blitzball.”
 
Tidus considered the blitzball captain. “In 10 years, you've never won a game.”
 
“There was a chance last year. But it was hard, and we couldn't concentrate in the game.”
 
“It's a good reason.”
 
“It's tough.”
 
“So, you want to get a fresh start by winning at the next grand tournament?” Wakka
nodded. “What is your goal in the tournament?”
 
“The ranking doesn't matter. I'll be happy if we can play a good match. I think I can stop refreshing if there's feeling of completion, a feeling that we did it seriously.”
 
Tidus turned around and waved his arm. “When you're asked 'Goal', you answer 'Victory'. You WILL win if you're entering a match. What is there other than that?”
 
“Victory…That's better?”
 
Sakura inserted herself in the discussion. “Of course, it's better, captain Wakka. If you go to the tournament thinking you'll loose, you WILL loose! Fighting spirit is everything.”
 
Wakka smiled as he considered the words of the two teenagers and stroke his chin. They came across an old ruin. The captain of the Aurochs waved to it. “In an old practice, folks who leave the island will pray at this ruin for safety. It has worked pretty well.”
 
As they approached the village, they encountered two characters seen leaving the beach. Both were armed and sported leather armours. The man with red hair approached Tidus and Sakura. “Ah, aren't you the man and the girl who came from the sea?”
 
His companion continued. “You had better be on guard because there are many fiends on the road.”
 
“Although you were close to Sin, you were very lucky to just have the problem of the toxin. Don't get killed in a place like this!”
 
Sakura bowed to them. “Thank you for your kind advice, sirs.”
 
After the departure of the two men, Tidus asked Wakka. “Who are they?”
 
“Luzzu and Gatta, members of the Crusaders.”
 
“What? Crews of what?”
 
Sakura sighed. “Crusaders, Tidus. That mean they are members of a fighting force for a holy cause.”
 
Wakka nodded. “Ya, what she said. You have forgotten even this?”
 
Tidus slumped down in disappointment so Wakka promptly tried to cheer him. “Oh, no. Don't worry. I'll take care of both of you.”
 
“Cool. In return, come tournament time, I'll make sure we take the cup!”
 
The Japanese girl bowed again. “Thank you, captain Wakka. I will repay you in the future, I promise.”
 
Wakka smiled. “Cool. About the Crusaders, you can ask them yourself. They've got a lodge in the village.”
 
1234567890987654321
 
They finally arrived at the village. It was not very big, but bigger than one may expect. A walled village with straw huts decorated the surrounding landscape, looking like an Indian village for a moment to the eyes of the extra-dimensional girl. That is, until she saw the temple. The temple was a huge multi-story stone structure.
 
Wakka turned to his charges. “Here's Besaid Village.”
 
Sakura continued to examine the architecture. “It's different from my home.”
 
“Oh, ya?”
 
“Yes, we mainly use squared wood structures with panels of paper and straw mats.” Sakura couldn't speak about her modern cities as Wakka had hinted that technology was a very bad thing for their religion. But Japan had enough traditional structures that she would not be forced to lied, only to not say everything.
 
Tidus looked awfully sad to the blitzball coach. “Is there any food?”
 
Wakka pointed to a house. “You can eat at that house later. First, go kill some free time.” He put his hands on his waist. “Oh yeah… That is the 'Crusaders' lodge'. Try to ask Luzzu and Gatta various things.” Wakka started to walk away but remembered something. “Oh, yeah. Come this way, you two.”
 
“What?”
 
“Even you two should surely remember the prayer?”
 
“I forgot.”
 
“I am not one of your faith, captain.”
 
“Even the basic thing in life? And what do you mean, you're not of my `faith'… Oh, ya! You're from the lost islands. No problem, even the Guados have seen the truth about Yevon. Well, I'll teach you two anyway. Okay.” Wakka then showed them how to pray. It was the same moves that the Aurochs performed on the beach. “Now, you try it.” Tidus and Sakura tried the prayer moves.
 
“Okay! That's good. Now, go introduce yourselves to the summoners at the temple.”
 
Tidus considered the prayer to Yevon. `Well, for blitzball players, everyone knows that it was the sign for victory.' He turned to the Japanese girl. “Well, I'm off to see the Crusaders. Want to tag along?”
 
Sakura smile wearily. “No, thank you. I need a little rest. I will find you later.”
 
As Tidus went to visit the lodge of the Crusaders, Sakura searched a place where she could be alone for a while. Her exploration revealed a few trinkets: A shining red-orange feather, 2 potions of health, some money and a vial with the same liquid as the health potion but in a larger vial.
 
Exhausted physically and mentally, she slumped down behind a hut that served as a shop. Everything she lived so far came, crashing down from her memory. Tears began to fall silently. She was alone: She was the only Japanese in this strange and dangerous world. She was separated from her family and her friends perhaps forever. She gathered herself in a foetal position and wept. She felt so miserable.
 
1234567890987654321
 
Tidus went to visit the Crusaders lodging with the intention to speak with Luzzu and Gatta. Sakura was right, they needed information and quickly.
 
Gatta advised him as he entered. “Hey, you were attacked by Sin? Was that recent?”
 
“Probably…”
 
“So, is Sin close to the island? Aren't you hiding something from us?”
 
“Of course not!”
 
Luzzu spoke to explain the problem. “If Sin came close to here then we can suppose it could come here to attack the island. Still… There's no such indication.”
 
“It's bad, but I don't understand anything. The main point is that I don't understand anything about the Crusaders.”
 
Gatta looked to him incredulous. “Are you joking? Sin's poison...”
 
“Tell him, Gatta.”
 
“Yes, sir Luzzu. The Crusaders is an organization designed to fight Sin. We have support groups all over Spira and anyone can join the local group as a volunteer. The Crusaders originated as the "Crimson Blades", started by the hero Mi'ihen 800 years ago. Years later, as the organization got bigger, it changed its name to the Crusaders. Since then, we have continued to fight against Sin.”
 
“Continuing to fighting for 800 years… You are really fighting for a holy cause… You can't defeat Sin?”
 
Gatta felt praised then embarrassed. “Ah…”
 
Luzzu continued the explication. “What has the Crusaders has been able to do is to make Sin change its routes… Well, that is about the extent that I can say for sure. Sin probably cannot be defeated by us. The duty of the Crusaders is to protect the temples, cities, villages, and people from Sin.”
 
“Well, who will defeat Sin?”
 
Gatta, eyes widened, turned to Luzzu. “…Is Sin's poison really so powerful?”
 
“Yeah, this is pretty awful.” He looked at Tidus. “To tell you would be pretty easy, but if you can, it would be better for you to remember it yourself. Go to the temple and strike up a prayer. Try to remember everything.”
 
1234567890987654321
 
“Praise be to Yevon! What happened to you, my girl?”
 
Sakura jerked back in the reality and gazed up with her tearing eyes into kind and wise grey eyes. It was an elderly person clad in robes that looked formals. “I…I am one of the few escapees from an attack of Sin.”
 
The wise eyes widened. “Oh! That terrible! Praise be to Yevon, you are alive at least.”
 
Sakura shook her head. “I…I can't go home…My family…my friends…I have almost nothing…no one…what I am going to do?” She sobbed, hiding her face in her hands.
 
The priest of Yevon shook his greyed head in dismay. Another tragedy, another lost girl and another family send to the farplane. The dull words of a Yevonite seemed very little against the pain of the heart, but Yevon offered Hope of a bright future when they will atone for their past sins.
 
“Come with me my child. Our temple has finally received the statue of High Summoner Braska. Come and we will pray for your loved ones.”
 
He took the hand of the Japanese girl. She didn't resist. She was not of their faith, but found that it was dangerous to reveal such a thing now. And, besides she needed to pray for the guidance of her ancestors. She needed time and focus to recompose herself. Tears will not serve her in this world.
 
The priest smiled as the young girl followed him. With a little guidance and encouragement, he could make her an acolyte in the temple and soothed the wounds of her heart. She was not in a great shape in those rags and looked famished. Charity was something that Yevon could offer to those who have lost something.
 
He guided her in the living quarters of the priests and gave her into the expert hands of another disciple to be fed and clothed after taking a bath. After that, he would lead her in a prayer and after time has healed her, offer her a place under the wing of Yevon.
 
1234567890987654321
 
Tidus entered the temple and gaped before the multiples statues inside. `Something, really. It was really a world I don't know about.' Tidus inspected one of the great sculptures in the temple.
 
Seeing his interest, a priest approached him. “It's been 10 years since Braska became a High Summoner. The holy image was finally realized in this temple.”
 
“What is a High Summoner?”
 
That statement shocked everyone in the temple and everybody looked at him. Before he sputtered an excuse, someone interposed herself and bowed to the audience.
 
“Please, find in your heart to excuse my friend. He had suffered from Sin's poison and has not recovered from it, yet.”
 
Tidus took a double-take as he recognized Sakura. She was completely different from the ragged frail form from before. She had taken a bath, apparently, and was clad in new clothes. Her long black hair was shining and a silver butterfly was pinned on the side. Her clothes were a simple knee-length dark-blue pleated skirt and a white sleeveless shirt. On her feet was calf-length dark-blue laced boots. She has still the dark grey belt from the ruins and, of course, her black manacles and crimson collar. `Well, what do you know? I bet she found something to eat also.' He sighed internally. `Whenever we have explained the something, I feel a little strange… It was lonely.'
 
Reassured, the crowd dispersed, sympathy shining in their eyes. The priest continued. “Praise be to Yevon that Sin only took your memory. The summoners…as works of mystery, are people who protect us, the believers of Yevon. These chosen summoners can manipulate the Aeons, holy creatures that do not have flesh and blood. These Aeons, appearing in response to prayers, are blessings of the great Yevon.”
 
“We thank you for your patience and your explanation.” The Japanese girl executed the Yevon prayer, imitated by Tidus after she discretely mashed his toes. She then took the elbow of the blitzball player and escorted him outside.
 
The two teenagers sighed in relief as they exited.
 
“Thanks, Sakura, I thought I really blew it for a moment.”
 
For the first time since her arrival in Spira, Sakura smiled a real smile that reflected in her green eyes. “It was no trouble, Tidus. We are together in this.” She searched for something in her belt. “Here, I thought about you when they gave me a little food.”
 
It was just a small loaf of bread but to the famished blond boy, it was celestial manna. “Aaaah, that hit the spot… So, did you find something useful?”
 
Her gaze darkened as she considered what she had discovered. “Not really. The Yevon faith seemed to be a global one and, so far, all yevonites are rather zealous. All form of technology is banned. They seemed to rely heavily on natural resources and strengths and…magic.”
 
“Magic?”
 
The newly clothed schoolgirl nodded and reached for the silver butterfly in her hair. “This little bauble is actually a form of magical protection called a `Seeker's Hairpin'. It also augments a little my life-force. A priest gave it to me for if I would encounter fiends.”
 
“Oh yeah. It's true that this world is a little dangerous for tourists. I should equip myself also. I found some money earlier.”
 
“Then you're in luck.” She smiled. “I have also some money and I know where the shop of this village is.”
 
The two teenagers visited the shop. Tidus found little in the way of equipment with the exception of a small and simple buckler that was perfect for his left forearm. Comparing with what she had in her pockets and the items available, Sakura rapidly identified what was the items she found before: Vials of Antidote against poison, a Phoenix Down to revive someone and a Hi-Potion of health.
 
Left with no place to explore, our two shoppers returned to Wakka's place. The captain of the Aurochs smiled as he saw his two charges. It seemed that the little girl had found some local clothes and now looked like a native. That was good: Although she seemed a beginner in the way of Yevon, she had a good heart. Tidus had also a good heart under his jock's image. It was too bad that Sin's toxin had affected him so much.
 
“Sorry guys, the food isn't ready yet. Why not rest for a while. Aren't you tired?”
 
Sakura thought about it. Her hunger had been appeased for now and the bath had given her a bit of her strength. Yes, a nap seemed a very good idea. She smiled gratefully to Wakka and sat down on a big cushion. She promptly fell asleep.
 
Tidus smirked as he saw the young girl sleeping so easily. `There really isn't much of a choice. Either starve or sleep...' He slumped down on the low bed in the tent and left his tired spirit floating.
 
As they were napping, a priest came to Wakka's residence to talk to him. “Praise be to Yevon, Wakka. Do you know how the trial of our apprentice summoner is?”
 
“I dunno. However Lu and Kimahri are with her.”
 
The priest seemed worried. “I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea to go and check on her situation.”
 
Wakka get up. “Um… I think she is okay, but…”
 
“However, the time is nearly up…”
 
1234567890987654321
 
Tidus dreamed. He dreamed of the past, of Zanarkand, of his past in Zanarkand.
 
There was a ship docked at the port. A man spoke to a worried woman. “But, the time is nearly up…”
 
“It's nearly a day now…”
 
The scene changed and the same woman with a young blond child spoke to another man. “Won't you please check on the situation for me?”
 
“Um, we are looking for him by dividing the work among people involved.”
 
The woman held her hands together. “Thank you very much.”
 
The boy revealed himself to be Tidus as a child. “Though, it's okay with me if that man doesn't come back.”
 
The woman, who was Tidus' mother in fact, turned to him. “He may have died.”
 
“That's fine.”
 
His mother was surprised by the venom in his words. “How can… How can you hate your dad so much?” The woman knelt to look at her son in the eyes. “If he died, you won't be able to tell him even that you hate him.”
 
1234567890987654321
 
Sakura dreamed. At least, she really hoped that she was dreaming.
 
“I wonder. Why did you not make a divination for her destiny?”
 
Why should I? As long as our destructive eminence maintains her in his grip, anything will be warped.”
 
“So, you can't make a prediction.”
 
Oh, I could, I could, but I don't want to.”
 
Why?
 
It's a…secret.”
 
“Very funny.”
 
I hope so. By the way, why are you so…worried about her?
 
“She is no longer under the rules of her world, and as long as she is in Spira under our control, she is not affected by the rules there.”
 
And what would happen if she forges a link to Spira?
 
“Through someone?”
 
It is of no consequence. She would only bring destruction to the chosen one.”
 
“So what is next?”
 
She is going to meet her fate.”
 
1234567890987654321
 
Sakura awoke suddenly, sweating and gasping. Once again, she had dreamed that she was hearing powerful voices in an abyss, discussing of her fate. Near her, Tidus was roused by her movements. He finally woke up and searched the interior of the tent.
 
“Wakka?” He turned to the Japanese girl. “Hey, Sakura. Do you know where Wakka is?” He then remarked her pale skin and heaving chest. “Huh? Are you alright, Sakura?”
 
Sakura managed to calm her breathing. “Yes, I'm fine Tidus…It was just a nightmare.”
 
He nodded darkly. “I suppose it's normal after what happened to us.” The blitzball player got up and walked outside. “I wonder where the big guy is?” He headed to the temple since it was the only location where the captain of the Aurochs could hide.
 
Sakura blinked at the comportment of her friend and decided to follow him. His big mouth needed a chaperone.
 
In front of a set of stairs in the back of the temple, Tidus and Sakura found Wakka speaking to a priest. Never being the patient one, Tidus asked directly Wakka. “What happened?”
 
“The summoner hasn't returned from her trial.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Well, officially, this person isn't a full summoner yet.”
 
Sakura was perplexed. “We do not fully understand the situation, captain Wakka.”
 
“There's a room in the back called the Cloister of Trials, and the apprentice summoner is praying in there. If the prayer passes, then the petitioner will become an official full-fledged summoner…” He turned to Tidus. “Do you remember?”
 
“I understand that someone hasn't come back out from the trial.”
 
Wakka sighed. “It has already been one full day.”
 
Tidus didn't like that. “Is there any danger inside?”
 
Wakka nodded. “Sometimes, yes.”
 
“Why don't you go in and help?”
 
Wakka shook his head. “There's already guardians in there. Besides, it's forbidden.”
 
Before Wakka could respond, Tidus ran up the stairs before turning around. “Hey, but what if something happens? What if the summoner dies?”
 
“The precepts must be obeyed!”
 
The priest nearby spoke, alarmed. “You must not break the rules!”
 
“Like I care!” And Tidus turned and ran through the doorway, making everyone else in the temple gasping to him for the second time that day.
 
Sakura slapped her face in her hand and shook her head. It was typical of the hot-headed teen. She was rather proud of him to care for a stranger at the drop of a hat, but the troubles he created in his wake…
 
“I'm going after him.”
 
Wakka and the priest whirled to her. “What? Do ya really think you have to break the precepts also?”
 
“In this case, captain Wakka, it's about choosing between a small offence and a graver offence to Yevon. “ She turned to the priest. “His mind is messed by Sin's toxin. He needs someone to prevent him to do other follies. It would be better for an insignificant person to break the rule than a full-fledged priest.”
 
The priest winced. The girl was right and the rule has already been broken. If he entered the room, the fault would be his, but if a normal person entered… Yes, it would be a fault, but one that could be more easily forgiven. Besides, he didn't think that Wakka would be able to restrain the youth. “Alright, young girl. Go inside and I will pray Yevon to forgive you. Praise be to Yevon.”
 
“Praise be to Yevon.” Sakura turned around and entered the doorway.
 
1234567890987654321
 
When the schoolgirl found the blond blitzball player, he was already trying to decipher the puzzles of the cloister. “Need a hand?”
 
“You came?”
 
Sakura smirked. “I'm supposed to prevent you to break any other rules.”
 
Tidus smirked in return. “Well then. Prevent me by helping me to resolve this. It looks simple. You just have to touch some symbols, find some spheres and put them in the right place.”
 
The two teenagers rapidly went through the various puzzles. Tidus was right, it was simple. As they put the `Besaid Sphere' in the pedestal of the final room, Sakura felt the dreaded sharp pain along her major nerves trees. “Oh no! Not again!”
 
“What? What is it?”
 
“Stand back! I'm being controlled again!”
 
Worried, Tidus followed Sakura as she went back to the beginning of the cloister and get the `Destruction Sphere' and placed it where they got the `Besaid Sphere'. The wall crumbled under the effect of the `Destruction Sphere' revealing a chest. The controlling entity released Sakura and she fell on her knees, more shaken by the experience than she wanted to admit.
 
“Sakura!” Tidus ran to his friend and held her.
 
“I'm OK, `It' released me.”
 
“Well, let's see what `It' wanted to show us.” Tidus opened the chest and extract… “…A staff?”
 
Sakura blinked as she examined the elaborated rod that Tidus put in her hands. “This is not really something I can use. It's probably for someone else.”
 
“Huh…? Who?”
 
She shrugged. “I don't know. Perhaps this summoner we have yet to see.”
 
They went back and pushed the pedestal to the middle of the final room. The pedestal began to sink into the floor and Wakka entered. “Hey! How did you become so hot-headed? And you.” He pointed to Sakura. “You were supposed to prevent him from breaking other rules.” He sighed. “All right. It is off-limits here except to summoners, apprentice summoners, and guardians. It's the rule, so remember it well.”
 
Tidus looked to the captain of the Aurochs. “So what about you?”
 
Wakka smiled. “Me? I'm a guardian.”
 
Sakura considered the orange-haired man. “What is a guardian, captain Wakka?” To her surprise in a world that forbade any technology, the floor began to sink under their feet like an elevator.
 
As they descended, Wakka explained what a guardian is. “The summoners leave on journeys to offer prayers at temples around Spira. The guardians are their protectors. Now, the guardians with the apprentice back there… One will be mad soon, and who knows what the other's thinking. Well, since you come all the way here, you should come with me? Ah, let's go.”
 
The group proceeded to walk to the back room. In there, they saw the two guardians. One was a woman sitting at the bottom of the stairs. She was tall with reddish eyes and black hair. Sakura remarked that her hair was done in a bun with hairpins like in her country. Her dress, however, was completely different than what she knew. It was a long, black, strapless dress, than seemed to be made of belts from the waist down on the right side. The other guardian made her gasp. He was a blue furred feline-like man with a shattered horn on his forehead. He was standing with his arms crossed and sported an impressive polearm.
 
The woman turned to Wakka with a slight expression of anger on her face. “What are you doing here? Didn't think we'd be able to handle it?”
 
Wakka cringed for a moment under her slight glare and placed his hand on the back of his head sheepishly. “No, it's uh...it's just...” He turned to Tidus. “See, I told you she gets mad easy.”
 
Tidus didn't care about the woman's anger and walked closer to her. “Is the summoner okay?”
 
The woman's face went from anger back to apathy, before momentarily switching to confusion. “Who are you? And for that matter, who is she?” She pointed to Sakura who was standing calmly in the back.
 
Suddenly, the opening of the door at the top of the stairs across the room caught the attention of everyone. A beautiful young girl walked out. The eyes of Sakura widened as she remarked the Asian features on her face. Se had shoulder-length brown hair and mismatched eyes: The right was green and the left blue. She was clad in a blue calf-length pleated skirt with white decorations, a white shirt looping around her neck, a yellow obi-style belt, kimono-style white sleeves with pink trim and dark-blue calf-length laced boots.
 
The girl stood still for a moment, then fell over. The blue tiger-looking guardian quickly rushed over to hold her gently in his arms. She regained her balance and fixed her hair before standing up straight and speaking. “I've done it. I have become a summoner!”
 
Sakura slowly approached and bowed to the exhausted girl. “Felicitation. Please accept this humble gift to celebrate your success.” She presented the rod she was forced to find before.
 
The female summoner blinked and reverently examined the more elaborated rod than her own. “A `Rod of Wisdom'.” She whispered and smiled to the Japanese girl. “Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.”
 
1234567890987654321
 
The summoner, her guardians, and the two displaced teenagers all came out from the Cloister of Trials. Tidus looked sideway to the girl. `That surprised me. I had thought that the summoner was an old man.' Everyone proceeded to exit the temple and gathered around a circular platform in the middle of the village.
 
Wakka wrestled Tidus down to the area.
 
“Hey!? Eh!? What!?”
 
Wakka beamed to the young man. “Have a good look.”
 
Tidus shook off Wakka and approached Sakura who was in the first rank of spectators. “I can see for myself.”
 
Wakka walked closer to the summoner. “Ready?”
 
She nodded before gripping her staff with one hand. “Okay.”
 
The summoner did a dance and 4 beams of light rose up from a circle formation around her and spiralled around each other in to the sky. As the 4 beams met, a bright flash of light appeared and something came diving down. It was a giant, multicoloured bird creature, at least 5 times as large as the summoner herself. It swept down and allowed her to stroke its neck. Cheers erupted from the crowd, signalling the success of the first summon of the young girl.
 
Tidus and Sakura were very impressed by the first Aeon that they have seen. Sakura shook her head. After seeing Sin, she didn't think that anything could impress her, and yet…
 
Everyone was in a joyous spirit and congratulated the summoner. A party was being organized on the spot. Tidus smiled as he perceived the joy of the crowd. `So, the first time I spoke to her was after it became dark. I did not understand it, but that was a special night. For everyone…for me…'
 
At an outdoor part in the centre of the village, Wakka was introducing Tidus to his team. “Let me introduce you to everyone on the team.” He pushed the blond boy to the rest of the team. “He wanted to enter the great tournament this year no matter what and decided to join our team. Because his memory is a little foggy, he may say some weird stuff, but don't worry about it. Hey, introduce yourself.”
 
Tidus regained his balance and wondered about what to say. “Nice to meet you, guys.” Everybody nodded. “What is our objective at the great tournament?”
 
All the team members replied. “To do our best!”
 
Wakka shook his head. “Nope, our objective has changed!” He raised his right hand in a fist. “The objective is victory! We will bring the Crystal Cup back to this island! We'll win all our matches! We'll defeat all the other teams! We can win! It's that easy, ya!”
 
The Aurochs looked a little unsure of this. “…Victory?” And then the words of doubt became rallying calls. “Victory! Victory! Victory, victory, victory!”
 
Meanwhile, Sakura was talking with the new female summoner.
 
“I thank you again for your gift.”
 
“It was nothing. After all I did break a rule. Compensation seemed in order.”
 
The young girl smiled to the blushing Japanese girl. “I'm Yuna. What is your name?”
 
The eyes of the schoolgirl widened and she slapped her hand on her mouth. “I can't believe I have forgotten to present myself. I must ask for your forgiveness, Lady Yuna. My name is Sakura.”
 
“Well, since we are doing the presentations… Look here, the tall woman is Lulu…” She smirked a little. “…and my shadow behind me is the proud Ronso called Kimahri.” She giggled to the Japanese girl. “Tell me. Is it true that your friend found himself too near Sin, but survived like you.”
 
Sakura turned to the older girl and looked seriously in her mismatched eyes, searching for something. “Yes, we survived Sin. As for his memory affected by Sin's toxin, I left you the judge of that.”
 
Two old women and a little girl approached Sakura. “Lady Yuna, I don't think it is appropriate to speak to this young fool.”
 
Sakura blinked to the woman. “But I asked permission to the priest before I helped my friend.”
 
“You should have left him. I can't believe he said that he didn't care about the precepts of Yevon.”
 
Sakura gazed calmly into the reproving eyes. “I should have turned my back to a friend because he didn't really know what he was speaking about but the words of his own heart?”
 
The two women looked more constipated than before. Sakura saw something behind them and smirked. “Well, you are going to have the occasion to speak to him about it. He's coming here.”
 
Tidus was walking toward the summoner and her company. The first old woman whirled to him. “Stay back, heathen!”
 
The other old woman continued the verbal attack. “You cannot come near the summoner!”
 
The little girl followed the example. “You're a bad man!”
 
The summoner got up and got ready to face Tidus to the alarm of the group of bigots. “Lady Yuna, you must not!”
 
Yuna smiled to the group of women. “But, if we speak of the cause, it was my fault.” She turned and quickly walked to Tidus to introduce herself under the amused gaze of Sakura. “I'm Yuna. Thank you for before.”
 
Tidus placed a hand behind his head, slightly blushing. “Ah, that I went to help? But, didn't that turn out badly? I did something uncalled for.” He scratched the back of his head.
 
“That's okay. It was because I was inexperienced.”
 
After a short uncomfortable pause, Tidus spoke again. In the background Sakura suppressed her laughter with her two hands as she saw the perfect example of love at first sight. “Hey, I saw the Aeon. It was incredible.”
 
“Really? He is called Valefor. Do you think I can become a great summoner?”
 
Tidus nodded his head. The little girl then approached and tried to tell Yuna something. “Lady Yuna, let's talk some more…” The little girl walked away, waiting for Yuna to follow.
 
Yuna turned to the two teenagers. “Well, I'll see you two tomorrow.”
 
Tidus looked confused. “Tomorrow?”
 
Yuna nodded. “Tomorrow, we will probably depart on the same ship since you are with the Aurochs for the tournament.”
 
“Ah, yes. You are right.”
 
“Then, we can talk more.”
 
“Um.”
 
Sakura waved to the young summoner. “Good night, Lady Yuna.”
 
Yuna walked away but turned around. “Then I can ask you about Zanarkand.”
 
Sakura was perplexed. How did Yuna learned about it. She certainly didn't speak about Zanarkand, but then Yuna had talked to her guardians during the party. It was probably then that she heard about the origin of Tidus.
 
Wakka came and nudged on Tidus' back. “Isn't she cute?”
 
“Yeah!”
 
“Don't get no ideas.”
 
Tidus held his hands up in a gesture of mock surrender. “No promises there, big guy. Hey, but what if she, like, comes on to me?”
 
Wakka frowned slightly, before smiling again. “That's not going to happen.” He turned to look at his two charges. “If you two get tired, let me know. I had some beds made up for you.”
 
Sakura realized that she was dead tired. She nodded at Wakka then bade good night to Tidus and forced herself to the lodge of the Crusaders. She was so tired that the fact to sleep near men didn't faze her. She didn't even hear Tidus taking the bed next to her.
 
1234567890987654321
 
Tidus dreamed. He sat at the dock. Tidus got up and walked toward Yuna who is looking out to the sea.
 
Tidus spoke to the young girl. “The ship isn't coming.”
 
“If it doesn't come quickly, then we'll be discovered by everyone.”
 
Tidus stood near Yuna. “Is it okay…really?”
 
“Yes. Take me…to Zanarkand.”
 
Rikku appeared and ran toward Tidus. “Hey! You said that you would travel with ME!”
 
Tidus pretended to be jogging, surprised by the apparition of the young Al Bhed. “Ah!? Aah! Well…”
 
Rikku continued. “I've heard that you've come to like Yuna.”
 
Yuna turned to Tidus. “Is that so…”
 
Rikku smirked. “Yep! So, you'll go with me!”
 
Jecht suddenly appeared. “What are you doing? Going on a journey with girls even if you're just a kid? You're 1000 years too young!” Suddenly Tidus was just in the form of him as a kid. “Ooh, I wonder if it has started yet...? You will cry. You will cry soon. You will definitely cry soon. Look, you're crying!”
 
Tidus replied angrily. “I really hate you.”
 
Jecht turned his ear to Tidus. “I can't hear you.”
 
A new and powerful voice is heard. “But me, I can hear you.”
 
Jecht turned to face Sakura. A strange Sakura, eyes closed, draped into a black cloak clasped by a ruby. The cloak was so dark that it seemed to absorb the light. “Why are you doing this?”
 
Jecht frowned at the intruder. “This doesn't concern you.”
 
Sakura burst into laughter. She opened her eyes, revealing two dark holes of black light. “Poor little Dream, I'm not talking of what you are trying to do with your spawn. I am speaking of your actions now.”
 
Jecht looked angrily to the transformed Japanese. “I know what I'm doing.”
 
She smirked. “Very well. As you wish.” She closed again her eyes. “Know then, that I also know what I am doing.” Ice crept into her voice. “And I will do it.” She suddenly disappeared as if she had been smoke in the wind. The figures in the dream seemed to resume their actions before the strange apparition.
 
Yuna advised Tidus. “It's no good if you won't say it with a much louder voice.”
 
The young Tidus screamed. “I hate you!”
 
Jecht seemed to react. “Huh?”
 
Rikku turned to Tidus. “Hey, give it your best shot!”
 
Yuna did the same. “Yeah, try your best!”
 
1234567890987654321
 
Tidus woke up, screaming. “I hate you!” He suddenly realised that he was still in his bed in the lodge of the Crusaders and tried to regain his calm after his dream. He frowned and turned to look at the young girl sleeping near him. She had not awaken at his scream and seemed to sleep peacefully. As he was about to resume his sleep he heard voices outside. It was Lulu talking. “He is already dead!”
 
Tidus got up from bed to check out what was going on.
 
Lulu continued to speak. “I can swear that kid looks just like Chappu. I was surprised when I saw him the first time. However, while he can look like him, he is not a replacement.” She hissed at Wakka. “You shouldn't have brought him here in the first place!”
 
“Yea, but...he… No, they needed our help!”
 
“Excuses again?”
 
“Yeah, but...”
 
“That's it. No more. Enough, Wakka!” Wakka cringed, before she walked away, leaving Wakka alone. Wakka was clearly frustrated as he held his head.
 
Wakka found Tidus standing next to the entrance when he stepped back in. The blond young man waved to the still sleeping young girl and talked softly to the captain of the Aurochs. “That was scary. But, who's Chappu?”
 
Wakka sighed. “My little brother. He…looks just like you.”
 
“Is he dead?” The two men sat down on opposing beds.
 
“He joined the Crusaders and was killed…while fighting Sin last year. It was the day of the great tournament when I heard the news.”
 
“Ah, so...”
 
“I decided to become a guardian and fight Sin, ya.”
 
“Seeking revenge?”
 
“That's what I planned. Don't laugh now. Seeking my little brother's revenge and blitzball are both very important to me. Well, after the next great tournament, I'm going to be a guardian full-time. It looks like I'm using you for that purpose… Sorry.”
 
“Don't worry. I depend on you. Sakura depend on you. Meeting you is really helping us. Thanks a lot, Wakka…for everything.” Tidus offered his hand...
 
Unknown to the two men who were bonding on a shared pain, the Japanese girl was not sleeping. She had been awaken by the outburst of Tidus and had quietly listened on the two conversations.
 
She was worried. No, she was scarred. The words in the scream of Tidus were the same that she heard in the strange vision she thought she had dreamed. Could it be possible that the mysterious entity which controlled her sometimes could do it in a dream?
 
1234567890987654321
 
After a good night's rest, Tidus finally exited the Crusaders' lodge and joined Sakura, Wakka and Lulu. The schoolgirl smiled. Tidus was definitively not a morning person. She had the time to buy herself a little breakfast at the shop and read an interesting book found in the lodge. Luzzu had graciously given it to her since the Crusaders have no use of a book about the Al Bhed tongue. It was during that time that she discovered that her mysterious gift of the Spiran tongue included the ability to read the strangely deformed Romanji letters.
 
Wakka turned to greet Tidus. “Hey, sleepyhead. I want to give you something.” The captain of the Aurochs drew out from behind his back what appeared to be a sword made out of fine blue crystal that sparkled in the sun. Lulu seemed to be in a small bit of shock over this fact.
 
“Wow… Are you sure you want to give it to me?”
 
“Yeah, try using it.”
 
As Tidus examined and tried out his new sword, Lulu turned to Wakka. “But you gave the `Brotherhood' to Chappu.”
 
“Well, he never used it, not even once.”
 
Lulu sighed and turned his cool gaze to the Japanese girl. “And her?”
 
Wakka suddenly realised that he didn't thought about it. Sakura waved away the worries of the two guardians. “Don't worry. I am armed and the old priest of the temple gave me this Hairpin to protect me.”
 
Wakka sighed in relief. He dodged the wrath of Lulu on that. He frowned as he searched someone. “Yuna is late.”
 
Tidus remembered the conversation of the last night. “Aren't we going on the same ship as Yuna? Wouldn't it be okay for us to go on ahead?”
 
Wakka shook his head. “Yuna came to this village 10 years ago. It was the year that Braska's Calm started.”
 
“The Calm?”
 
Tidus was confused once again, but Wakka just continued, ignoring Tidus' query for the moment. “Since then, Yuna has been like a little sister to me and Lulu. Knowing that she had the Talent, becoming an apprentice summoner… And today, we're travelling with her as a full summoner.”
 
Lulu finished. “From the very beginning, we wanted to travel with her.”
 
Sakura remarked a small silhouette walking in their direction. “Ah! Here she comes…What the…?”
 
They saw Yuna coming out of the temple with a huge luggage. Lulu turned to the young summoner. “Such a big luggage can only be troublesome.”
 
Yuna smiled a little as she struggled with the heavy luggage. “Ah, there're not really my things. They're gifts for the temples we're going to visit.”
 
Wakka shook his head. “This isn't supposed to be a vacation, Yuna.”
 
“I guess… I guess you're right.” Yuna walked toward them after leaving her luggage near the tent of Wakka.
 
Wakka beamed to the group as they prepared to depart. “So, we're leaving, ya!”
 
Yuna turned around to say goodbye to the temple and the place she called Home for a long time. Sensing her mood, Sakura slipped her hand in the hand of the older girl and smiled sadly as homesickness darkened her heart. After a moment, Yuna let go and smiled gratefully to the schoolgirl. The genuine smile brought some light in the heavy heart of the displaced girl.
 
1234567890987654321
 
As they walked along the path leading back to the dock, Sakura looked around, admiring the lush scenery, the clear blue water and the fierce looking dog-like fiends heading for them...
 
“What the…! Look out! Fiends!”
 
Wakka whirled around and recognized 3 fiends of the Dingo type running right to them. In a burst of dark-blue energy, the Demon Sword materialized in the left hand of the Japanese girl. The rest of the group drew their weapons. Sakura took a double-take as she remarked some of the strangest weapons she ever saw. If Tidus and Yuna had almost normal weapons, here the `Brotherhood' sword and the `Rod of Wisdom', Lulu and Wakka had definitely weird weapons. Lulu was holding a…doll of all things and Wakka was readying a…blitzball.
 
Yuna and Lulu stood back, letting the 3 melee fighters handling the Dingos. “With five of us, this is no problem.” Tidus ran up eagerly to the first and swung his sword in a cleaving downward arc. The creature revealed itself to be agile as it dodged and bit Tidus in the arm. The blond young man swore since it was his weapon's arm. The fiend jumped back to dodge the counter-attack and received a crushed skull courtesy to the blitzball thrown by Wakka.
 
“Aid us!” Yuna waved her staff, and a wave of white and blue sparkles overtook Tidus, healing up the bite he had just received.
 
The other two fiends headed straight for Sakura who felt grateful that the familiar pain of being controlled returned. She waited for the charge of the Dingos and ducked under them. One Dingo burst into pyreflies as the girl had gutted it as they passed above her. The second one whirled back and forced her to give ground with a ferocious charge aimed to her legs. It whined and dissolved into pyreflies when it found itself impaled by the new sword of Tidus. “Alright!”
 
Like before, the pyreflies were absorbed by the polychromatic gems of the schoolgirl: Something that provoked a gasp from Yuna and a raised eyebrow from Lulu. The Dingos left behind them coloured spheres for the grid and Gils, the money of Spira.
 
They continued down the path, but suddenly three small bird-like fiends dove down from the heavens, screeching.
 
Wakka rapidly identified the threat. “Condors! Leave them to me and Lu!” He pulled his blitzball out again, as Lulu got ready to cast a spell. “Here we go!”
 
“Need a good jolt?” Lulu gestured at the first Condor and a bolt of electrical magic came down on it, frying it instantly. Wakka simply slammed his blitzball into the chest of the second Condor, killing it instantly. Unfortunately, this leaved the third and final Condor diving at the rest of the group. Sakura suddenly felt something clicked inside of her. It was something completely different than before, something that belonged only to her.
 
A well of power opened up in the core of her soul and a hot but not damaging sensation rushed to her heart. Strange symbols formed inside her mind and she unconsciously gestured in the direction of the Condor. “Fireball!” A blast of fire erupted from her outstretched hands and reduced the diving fiends into a cloud of pyreflies.
 
Sakura, awed, examined her hands. “Wow… I did that myself?”
 
Lulu approached the dazed girl. “Well, it seems that you have some potential in the Black Magic.” She frowned a little. “What do you mean by `you do it yourself'.”
 
The Japanese girl dreaded this moment. She explained then that since the discovery on her person of those strange jewelleries, she could manifest a sword that seemed to take control of her body since she didn't now how to fight with it.
 
Wakka blinked to the explanation. “Ya mean it's like an Aeon? The sword fights in your place? Only, ya know, by using your body, ya?”
 
Sakura scratched her head. “Well… You can say that. At least it permitted me to protect myself and those around me for now.”
 
Tidus eagerly talked about the fighting prowess of his comrade-in-pain. “And you should see when she released those awesome elemental blades of her. It's so cool and powerful.”
 
Yuna smiled at the blushing young girl. “That good. She can protect herself and others. What could you ask for more?”
 
They arrive at the top the hill overlooking the village. Lulu and Yuna walked over to the edge, Yuna felt a bit reluctant to leave her home of ten years. Lulu seemed to notice this, and put her hand on Yuna's shoulder, trying to calm her uneasiness. “Take your time.”
 
Yuna nodded and gave one last look at her home. She turned and walked back down the incline, towards the rest of the group. Tidus, however, seemed to be getting slightly impatient. “Let's go quickly!”
 
Wakka shook his head. “We'll wait just a bit.”
 
“Huh?”
 
Yuna walked between Wakka and Tidus. The captain of the Aurochs spoke softly to her. “Have you…had enough time?”
 
“Yes.” She walked off, trying to master her emotions. Lulu nodded to Wakka as she walked past the two, and Wakka returned the nod.
 
Tidus was confused. “Wha…what is it?”
 
Sakura sighed. Tidus was not really on top in regard to the emotional stuff. She approached the blond young man and whispered to him. “Tidus, Yuna is leaving for the first time her home of ten years for a pilgrimage. She is not feeling happy about it because any pilgrimage takes time. She will be absent for a long period of time. Do you understand now?”
 
“Ha. Okay.”
 
They arrived at the ruin structure on the top of the hill. The two guardians and the young summoner bowed down and began to pray. Sakura decided to do the same out of respect and prayed to her ancestors to protect her during her ordeal. Tidus walked over, and asked what they were doing.
 
Wakka paused for a moment to explain. “Like I said yesterday, it's an ancient custom. People leaving the island pray here for a safe trip. Chappu didn't pray that day. Said he'd miss his boat.”
 
Tidus seemed to understand, and after a moment of hesitation, joined the group in prayer.
 
“That should do it!” Wakka said, standing up after a minute.
 
He turned away and began to walk down the trail towards the dock, quickly followed by Yuna and Lulu. Tidus and Sakura rushed after them, not wanting to be left behind.
 
1234567890987654321
 
As they neared a group of old ruins, a low growl caught the attention of the Japanese girl. She looked up just in time to see Kimahri leaped down from a high pillar, right in front of Tidus and her. A ferocious roar echoed in the ruins. Startled, Tidus took up a defensive stance and drew his sword. Sakura was bewildered by the comportment of the blue-furred guardian.
 
Kimahri took the initiative and whipped the dull end of his polearm around in an arc. Tidus ducked under the blow but Sakura was caught flat-footed on the side of her head and fell on the ground, dazed. Furious, Tidus exchanged blows with the Ronso who proved to be very adept with his polearm. Nonetheless, the blitzball player of Zanarkand held against the powerful fighter. Kimahri suddenly jumped on his polearm like a pogo stick, and bound into the air. He landed, sending Tidus flying a few feet with the shockwave of the impact. The shock of the attack seemed to revive the fallen schoolgirl.
 
“SOULS! BE MY STRENGTH!”
 
The powerful and deeper than normal voice of the Japanese girl seemed to stop everybody for a few second. A whirlwind of dark-blue energy formed around her left manacle which dissolved into pixels. The formidable silhouette of a long sword materialized.
 
“Demon Sword! Ready!”
 
“Uh oh. She's being controlled again.” Tidus was worried. He didn't want Kimahri to be obliterated. He just wanted to beat him.
 
“You want to test me, Ronso! Challenge accepted!” The possessed teen pointed her right hand to the feline guardian. “I have chosen the element to deal with the likes of you!” Her right hand cupped around a green ball of energy. “Eternal anchor that granted everlasting life!” She inserted the ball into the gem on the guard of the Demon Sword. The blade acquired a green sheen.
 
Feeling a powerful attack, Kimahri rushed the young girl, hoping to disrupt her preparation. Too late, the swordswoman held up her blade. “Grant the sturdiness of the ground. STONE BLADE!”
 
The blade seemed to cut through the charging Ronso who stopped instantly. Wakka jumped in at this, sensing the need to end the fight before Kimahri was killed by the dangerously looking teen. “That's enough!”
 
Unfortunately, it was a little too late. The group remarked with horror that Kimahri had been…petrified.
 
Sakura turned to Wakka and spoke with the same altered voice. “Do not worry, guardian Wakka. It is only temporary since he only wanted to test us.” Something seemed to leave the eyes of the Japanese girl and she paled as she regained the control of herself. “Oh my god… What I have done?”
 
To the immense relief of everyone, the Ronso regained his mobility after a few moments. He didn't seem to harbour any resentment to either of the two teenagers. Tidus was nonetheless feeling a little out. “What's with that guy?”
 
Lulu answered the blond young man. “Kimahri Ronso, of the Ronso tribe. He's learned the fiends' way of fighting.”
 
“That's not what I meant!”
 
“He's another of Yuna's guardians.” Wakka replied, causing Tidus to go `Huh?' again.
 
Sakura softly spoke, head bowed, catching the attention of everyone. “I think he wanted to test us in the heat of a fight, because many things are shown during the crucible of the battle.”
 
Yuna laughed and walked up to the two teenagers. “Perhaps… But don't be so down. If it was a test, you both passed it with flying colours. Sometimes we don't understand him much either. Kimahri doesn't talk much anyway. But, he has protected me since I was a child!”
 
“Oh…” Tidus nodded, and continues to walk down to the dock.
 
The group finally passed the beach and approached the boat. It has a strange name: The `SS Liki'. It was a rather normal ship, about the size of an ocean fishing boat, but without all the nets and such. All the villagers were surrounding the dock to say goodbye to Yuna. Many were offering gifts to the group: Some money, some items and a protective ring for the young summoner. Walking onto the deck, Yuna looked around to the pier, where many people were gathered to see her off. Many of them were smiling and waving, and others were crying. Yuna faced them, and did the prayer gesture several times, as the boat began to leave the dock.
 
As the boat finally pulled away from the pier, Yuna said one word, before turning to walk inside the cabin. “Goodbye.”
 
1234567890987654321
 
Notes: I have finally finished this long chapter. Phew…
 
This is an experiment. I want to concentrate on only one story until my muse is finally bored then switch to another story. Well, we'll see.
 
The reference of the `lost islands' by Wakka came from the fact that the Al Bhed tribe was on an island before it was destroyed by Sin. We can easily imagine a multitude of small islands inhabited but undiscovered by the Yevonites of Spira. Especially with the ban on technology.
 
Here's a little bonus. The stats of Sakura as if she has been integrated in the game `Final Fantasy X'.
 
Name: Sakura.
 
Sakura is an average and polite Japanese schoolgirl from Earth. She has been kidnapped by four mysterious entities of great power. She desperately wants to go home. In battle, she seemed possessed by her weapon and is very deadly.
 
Age: 16.
 
Height: 160 cm.
 
Location: Japan/Spira.
 
Overdrive: Elemental blade.
 
Weapon: Demon Sword.
 
Armour: Hairpin.
 
Japanese voice: Megumi Hayashibara.
 
English voice: Amanda Winn Lee.
 
Starting stats:
HP: 400. MP: 20. Str: 5. Def: 8. M Def: 8. Mag: 10. Agl: 10. Eva: 10. Acc: 5. Luck: 17.
 
Magic, skills and special abilities accessible on her sphere grid:
Fire, Thunder, Blizzard, Water, Cure, Esuna, Shell, Protect, Armour Break, Mental Break, Luck, Sentinel, Quick Pockets and Full Break.
 
Battle quotes: During a battle, the character uses specific quotes for each action. Here are those for Sakura.
 
At the start of a battle:
- “Oh, no! Not again!”
“Why me? Someone tell me!”
“You are really annoying me.”
“Someone tell me what to do? Quick!”/ Lulu: “Are you serious?”
 
When she enters a battle by switching with another character:
“You really need me?”
“You hurt my friends!”
“I can feel `Its' hunger.”
“Oh, mother.”
 
When she is revived:
“I'm still alive?”
Yuna: “How do you feel?”/ “How do you think?”
“I want to go home.”
Lulu: “So, back with us?”/ “Sorry, Sempaï.”
 
When she win a battle by inflicting the killing blow:
“We win? Incredible!”
“Phew…”
Tidus: “Controlled again?”/ “What do you think?”
“I'm getting the hang of it.”
 
At the end of a battle: “Finally…”
 
Sakura casts Cure: “Force of life!”
 
Sakura casts Esuna: “Be gone! Taint!”
 
Sakura casts Shell: “Please, guard our souls.”
 
Sakura casts Protect: “Please, guard our bodies.”
 
Sakura casts Thunder: “Feel my wrath!”
 
Sakura casts Fire: “Fireball!”
 
Sakura casts Water: “Mizuno Ryu!”
 
Sakura casts Blizzard: “Ice daggers!”
 
Sakura uses Armour Break: “Armour Crusher!”
 
Sakura uses Mental Break: “Your will is weak!”
 
Sakura uses Sentinel: “You will not touch my friend!”
 
Sakura uses Luck: “Ancestors, protect us!”
 
Sakura uses Full break: “Final Slash!”
 
Sakura uses Quick Pockets: “Nothing in the hands, nothing in the sleeves.”
 
Next: The travel to Kilica. Sakura will be confronted to an element of Spira that should be impossible to her eyes. And, finally, the Demon Gun is unleashed.
 
Read and review please.