Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Tomorrow ❯ Save Me ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Tomorrow
 
Disclaimer: Don't. Own.
 
“The house should be on your right,” came Reeve's voice to Vincent, static-y over the radio.
 
“Yeah, I see it,” answered Vincent. “But I don't see her.”
 
“Well, of course not,” answered Reeve. “Did you expect her to be waiting out there for you? She is a slave, after all.”
 
“I was kind of expecting that, yeah,” admitted Vincent. He paused. “But from how smart you say she is, I'm disappointed that she didn't know of my coming before I did and got out here.” Reeve's laugh sounded over the radio, nervous for once.
 
“We are, too.”
 
~
 
Peter was always the one who started the teasing. That day, he started teasing her about her body fat-or lack of it. “You look like a stick!” he jeered, pointing at her and laughing. Her only comfort was the fact that someone was coming for her-the sentient being inside her had traveled outside her again and overheard the plans of two other humans; she hated to call herself that, too, even though she was one-and reassured her of that.
 
“Yeah, washing board!” laughed Rita, the youngest of the three. Her blonde hair swirled around her face as she tossed her head. “You're so thin, we could use you as a straw if we hollowed you out!”
 
The black-haired slave girl looked up slowly. “Rita.” She spoke the girl's name softly, almost imperceptibly, her voice raspy from years of disuse. Rita paused and looked at her. “You...go through the same teasing you put me through...every day...you know how it hurts...why do you torment me?” Her indigo eyes switched to Peter. “Peter...you may have your reasons for doing this...this torture...but you know them not...I do, and I see the evil inside you...for this reason...stop.” She stood and looked at them both. “Abuse me no longer. I am...” She stopped, stiffened, and whipped her body around to face the window.
 
Rita screamed and clung to Peter as he yelled in fright and pointed beyond the other girl. A shadowy figure had appeared in the window, one with a long tattered cloak and long hair.
 
~
 
The girl looked up from her feet. “You saved me.” Vincent just hmphed and continued walking as the girl slowly followed him. “Thank you.” Vincent raised an eyebrow but continued to walk toward 7th Heaven, Tifa's place.
 
Two hours later, about fifty feet from the bar that Tifa owned, Reeve and Cait Sith met the two at the crossroads. “I see you got her,” Reeve said, looking at the girl. Vincent nodded and tried to push past Reeve, but the blue-wearing man put up a hand. “Vincent.” The taller man looked at him, his red-hued eyes slightly quizzical. “Did you find out if she's really the one we're looking for?” he whispered.
 
Vincent shrugged. “The only thing she said to me was thanks for rescuing her,” the black-haired man answered in the same quiet tone. Both looked at the girl, who was trying to fend off the animatronic cat. “She's anti-social,” continued Vincent, his voice pitched low.
 
“Remind you of anyone?” asked Reeve sarcastically, walking over to the techno-cat and prying him off the girl. The cat meowed pitifully, but the girl looked frankly relieved. Only for a second, though-the look passed from her face as soon as it had appeared. Turning back to Vincent, the WRO leader said, “Tifa's looking for you-Cloud's come back.” Vincent nodded and turned away, facing back towards 7th Heaven. He paused to make sure that the girl was following him. Then he set off to 7th Heaven, weary feet glad to have found their way home.
 
Reeve and Cait Sith watched the two figures walk towards Tifa's bar as Reeve put his hand on top of the cat's head. “I just wonder how long it'll take for her to trust him enough to tell him her secret,” Reeve whispered. Cait Sith whined.