Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Until the End of Eternity, and Longer ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, I know I said I wasn't gonna upload anymore today, but since the first few chapters are so short, I decided to go ahead. And if you want to be completely technical, it'll be tomorrow in 38 minutes. Uh, anyway, here's chapter three, I'll probably upload four too since it's only like two pages long, I think. *chews bottom lip b/c even though she just formatted it, she can't remember*…uh, anyways, here goes. . .

-------------

"Until the end of Eternity, and Longer"

by: Banshee Puppet

Chapter Three

-----------

"The conference went well, didn't it Kiros? Why is Uncle Laguna so depressed?" Ellone asked.

Ward made an inaudible sigh and nodded at the calendar. Kiros nodded at him sadly. Sure, they both knew EXACTLY what was bothering him, and the secret language they were using was extremely obvious.

"It's an old wound, Ellone. He gets this way around this time every year. Just let him be," he said.

"Why won't you tell me?" Ellone pouted. "I can find out easily enough, you know." She only pulled that when she really wanted to know something. And they all knew that she could, and that she wouldn't. Invading his privacy like that, it was just wrong to do it unless it was utterly necessary.

"Someone important to Laguna died a long time ago, not long from now. Just let him grieve in peace," Kiros warned.

"Uncle Laguna has lost so many people that he cares a lot about, hasn't he?" Ellone frowned, defeated. "I mean, his mother and father, and Julia, and Raine, and this mysterious person who you REFUSE TO TELL ME ABOUT."

"It's not my place to say. I only met her once, anyway. But I respect her a lot. We don't talk about her because she didn't want to be remembered. Just drop it."

"And Squall won't forgive him either," Ellone pouted. "It's so sad. I don't like seeing Uncle Laguna frown."

"Neither do we, Ellone. Neither do we."

---------------

Laguna stared at the work on his desk rather than doing it. He just couldn't concentrate. He looked at his calendar blankly. Today was March 1st. Jace had sacrificed herself using that suicide bullet two days from now to end the war and destroy the Sorceress. He missed her so much. She'd been like a sister to him.

"Back then. Back then, I thought you'd always be around. Jace, you were so strong. I miss you," Laguna shook his head disgustedly. "It's been seventeen years since then. You'd think I would be able to get past it, but that look in your eyes, that look of resignation…and the way you smiled at me, and told me to be strong, and to always follow my heart, to never stop fighting…I think I took you a little too seriously…" He pulled a picture out of his desk drawer of a much younger version of himself and Jace. They appeared to be ten years old maybe, and at some sort of carnival by a lake, smiling widely, ice cream dripping down their hands, Jace's arm thrown absently over his shoulder as he had devil horns sticking up behind her head. `We were so happy then. We felt like, even if the world came to an end, it would be okay, as long as we could remember the happy moments.' "But it's not okay. You're gone. And I…don't know what I'm supposed to do. My son hates me, for one. He thinks I'm completely inept, you know. I'm the president of a country pretty much by accident. I met your son. I know him kinda well actually. He looks just like you and I want to tell him all about you so that he can be as proud of you as I am, but he's so happy now, the way he is, just him and his friends and his girlfriend Selphie…I know, above all else, you wanted him to be happy, so I keep my mouth shut to respect your wishes, but it's really hard to not look at him and say, "you're mother was a hero, Irvine" or "I wish you could have met her" or "she would be really proud of you." He helped save the world too. And he has your penchant for guns and a flair for the dramatic. And he has your smile. Gods, it's all I can do to not cry when I see him smile that way you used to. Happy as hell in spite of everything, or because of it. I don't know what I'm doing, Jace. I was supposed to have it figured out by now, but somewhere along the line, all my dreams got buried with the people I've left behind. People like you, and Raine, and…I don't even want to think about it. When you were around, I always knew who I was, and who I wanted to be. You just had that effect on people. You made people want to be better, stronger, to shine just a little bit brighter. But since you died…for the past seventeen years I've just been so damn confused. I would've gotten myself killed a million times over if it wasn't for Kiros and Ward. I think I…I need a little time off. I want to visit you. Would it be okay, do you think, if I took a little trip to Bella Maure? Just a little while. Just to, ya know, say hi? I think I need it, more than anything. I just want to see you again."

----------------

That night, Laguna had left Kiros and Ward in charge of things, got on a small, private jet, and set out for Centra. No one argued with him. The president need a vacation once in a while, if anyone asked, he was relaxing on a beach somewhere, that's what Kiros and Ward decided amongst themselves.

-----------------

Before you even ask, yes, eventually the chapters DO get longer, but not until I have the background set up. Next chapter is short too.

Thanks to Cherry 6124 for reviewing. It's nice to know that people are reading this stuff. And I like opinions, good, bad, ugly. I even accept flames. . .you see, I print them all up, pin them to my cork board and giggle maniacally as I throw darts at them. Okay, not really, but it's a damn good idea isn't it? *note to self: buy a corkboard at the first opportunity*. . . well, more to come. . .