Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ Us And Them ❯ Chapter 9: Brotherly Love ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 9: Brotherly Love
 
Aeris sat restlessly as she listened to the rain pelting down against the tent. It had been raining like that for the past two hours. The fire nearby was dead, and it was growing dark. The only light she had came from her lantern as she tried to read one of her books.
 
Amazingly enough, her chocobo didn't seem to mind the nasty weather one bit. The giant bird lay under a tree sleeping peacefully. Aeris felt comforted that the bird was safe. Monsters always stayed away from her when she was alone. It was only when she was in the company of other people that they'd attack. Still, people always regarded her as a quasi-suicidal daredevil for venturing out in the wild alone.
 
A small price to pay for keeping my abilities a secret.
 
The incessant warking from her chocobo broke her away from her reading. Wondering what would wake that bird up, Aeris grabbed her sword and opened the tent.
 
“What's your problem?? Hey- stop it! I said stop it, you stupid bird!!! G'ah!!! I hate chocobos! I hate `em!! Yeah, I'm talking to you- OW!”
 
Aeris' eyes widened in shock as she saw her chocobo relentlessly pecking away at Zack. In the distance, a motorcycle stood parked behind him.
 
“Hey- hey now!” Aeris went over to the chocobo and pulled the reins, gently guiding it away from the young soldier.
 
“That thing was about to kill me!!” Zack exclaimed as Aeris stroked the soaked bird's neck, calming it down.
 
“Kweh!” the bird exclaimed.
 
“What do you expect?” Aeris smirked, “The bird works for terrorists,”
 
“Oh, so funny!” Zack sneered.
 
“What are you doing here?” Aeris crossed her arms, “Did you change your mind and decide to dispatch me in my sleep? Sorry to disappoint you, but this sword isn't just for decoration,”
 
“I had no idea it was you in that tent,” Zack glared at her, “I stopped because this place is always teeming with monsters. You'd have to be insane to be out here alone!”
 
Here we go again…Aeris sighed.
 
“I was just passing through on my way to Cosmo Canyon,” Zack told her, “But maybe I should stick around tonight,”
 
What??” Aeris recoiled, “How stupid do you think I am??? Even if you weren't technically my enemy…what the hell do you think I am letting some guy share my tent?!?”
 
Her eyes then widened, and she raised her sheathed sword, bonking the dark-haired man squarely on the head.
 
“OW!!! What was that for?!?!” he shouted, rubbing his head.
 
“For making me curse!” Aeris shouted back.
 
“God- are all you terrorists as crazy as you are?” Zack yelled as he pointed at the large backpack on his shoulders, “I didn't say anything about sharing your tent! I have my own!!”
 
Aeris continued to glare at him.
 
“Though…I guess I could've worded myself a little better…” Zack conceded as he scratched his head.
 
“This isn't a good idea,” Aeris sighed, “I get where you're coming from, but we're enemies- that's the simple truth. How could we possibly trust each other?”
 
“Because I could have had you in Shinra's custody yesterday after I ran into you,” Zack told her, “Instead, I went home,”
 
“Not a very loyal SOLDIER are you?” Aeris gave him a curious glance.
 
“Look- if you're as skilled with that sword as you say you are, then we can protect each other tonight. Strength in numbers, right? Honestly, I'm tired of riding around in the dark and rain,”
 
Aeris didn't look convinced.
 
“Hey- I'm not one to pick a fight,” Zack held up his hands in surrender, “Did you see me letting that scrawny Turk have it? Did you see me attacking your friend?”
Aeris walked past the soaked youth until she stood about fifteen feet away from him.
 
“This is where you'll set up your tent,” she said firmly.
 
“Fine,”
 
He went over to his motorcycle and set down his large backpack. Opening it, he dug out a cover and slid it over the large bike. He then went over to Aeris and dropped the backpack. Kneeling down on the wet ground, he opened the pack and began pulling the parts of his tent out. To his surprise, Aeris began to help him.
 
“Shouldn't you get back to your tent?” Zack asked her, “You're soaked,”
 
“No more than you are,” Aeris shrugged, “Anyway, the sooner you're all settled in, the sooner I can change into some dry clothes and get some sleep,”
 
Zack chuckled. “I guess I won't argue with that,”
 
The two worked together in the rain for ten minutes, setting up Zack's tent. When they finished, they both stood up.
 
“Oh no…” Aeris moaned as she tried in vain to brush the mud off her hands and knees.
 
“The mighty swordswoman and wilderness girl extraordinaire isn't afraid of monsters, but can't stand a little dirt, eh?” Zack looked amused.
 
Aeris was about to dish out another sharp retort, when the two heard the chocobo warking frantically. Turning around, they could see a large, horned reptilian monster approaching. Its hands and feet were adorned with large claws, and its green face was grinning stupidly at the panicked bird.
 
“Shit!” Zack exclaimed, “Stand back! That's a Grand Horn!”
 
“I know what it is!” Aeris snapped as she unsheathed her sword and charged at the creature.
 
“Careful!” Zack shouted as he ran to catch up with her.
 
Aeris raised her sword and sliced through the chocobo's tether, allowing it to run to a safer location. She then held the sword out, allowing it to float in the air.
 
“FIRE!!!” she shouted.
 
The Grand Horn was immediately enveloped in flames. Writhing around in agony, it emitted a series of ear-piercing shrieks.
 
“Nice!” Zack commented as he gripped his sword tightly. Taking advantage of the monster's pain, he charged forward and slashed at its left arm.
The creature stumbled a bit, and then setting its sights on Aeris, charged forward. It swung at the girl, who quickly dropped to the ground and rolled away.
 
Leaping to her feet right behind the monster, Aeris slashed at its back and then quickly backed away.
 
Zack stared in amazement. This girl had skills to match his own comrades! Where on earth did she learn to fight like that?
 
“WATCH OUT!!!”
 
His thoughts were interrupted as the Grand Horn raised its right arm and slammed it into the distracted soldier. Zack traveled in the air about ten feet before landing roughly on the ground.
 
While Aeris hacked away at the monster, Zack raised his large sword and gathered all of his strength before he shouted one word:
“ICE!!!!”
 
The Grand Horn was immediately encased in a block of ice. After a few seconds, the block shattered. Aeris managed to get out of the way at the last minute, avoiding the flying shards. The monster then toppled to the ground, where it slowly faded away.
 
Aeris rushed over to Zack and knelt down beside him. “Are you all right?” she asked worriedly.
 
“I'll be fine…” the soldier winced.
 
“Hang on…” Aeris closed her eyes and concentrated.
 
A warm feeling filled Zack's body. When it passed, the pain was gone.
 
“What kind of materia was that?” Zack scowled, “That didn't feel like it came from a restore materia,”
 
“Where else would it have come from?” Aeris covered as she helped him to his feet.
 
Zack waved his hand dismissively, “Yeah, you're right,”
 
Aeris went over to the chocobo and petted it gently. “It's okay now,” she consoled the frightened bird, “No more monsters to scare you. Yeah, that's a good bird. Just relax and try to sleep. I won't tie you to the tree this time- I know you won't leave. Yeah, that's a good birdie…”
 
“Hey- the rain's finally stopped!” Zack noticed.
 
“Oh yeah,” Aeris observed as she looked around. She then looked back at him. “So you're okay then?”
 
“I'm fine,” Zack managed a smile, “Thanks. You're pretty amazing, y'know,”
 
“I learned from an amazing swordsman,” Aeris shrugged, “And I've kept at it for ten years now,”
 
“Ten years?” Zack whistled, “Wow. I've only been training for six years myself. Yeah, your teacher must really be something if his student is that good,”
 
“He is,” Aeris agreed, “His reflexes are amazing- he started training when he was five, and hasn't stopped for twenty years,”
“Wait- so does that mean he started training you when he was fifteen?” Zack interrupted.
 
“Yeah,” Aeris nodded, “He'd been a junior instructor at a dojo before he ended up teaching me. He was a child prodigy. Not just in swordsmanship, but in general. He could rule the world if he wanted to,”
“Hmm…” Zack smirked.
 
“What?”
 
“Sounds like someone's hot for teacher,” Zack teased.
 
“What?!” Aeris exclaimed, “Whoa- one thing I forgot to mention is that he's my brother!
 
“Oh,” Zack looked embarrassed.
 
“Yeah,” said Aeris, “Maybe I should head back to my tent. I might have said too much already,”
“He's a terrorist too?”
 
Aeris' expression hardened. “I let my guard down. I think we should just stop talking and I'll head over to my tent. If you really need to stay here, I suggest you do the same,”
Zack sighed. “Guess I should have expected that,”
 
“You're a SOLDIER. I don't trust you,” Aeris stated flatly.
 
“Yeah, I gathered that,” Zack said, “Fine. I'll go to my tent, all right? I'm not going to try anything,”
 
“I'm a light sleeper,” the swordswoman pointed her weapon at him.
 
“Yeah, sweet dreams to you too,” Zack grumbled as he climbed into his tent.
_____________________________________________________________
 
The sun was shining when he opened his tent. The grass had dried up, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky. His motorcycle stood in the same spot he'd left it, the cover still glistening slightly.
 
He stepped outside of the tent and noticed that Aeris' tent was gone, as well as Aeris herself, and her chocobo.
 
Man…who is that girl? Zack wondered. Paranoid as hell, but I guess I can understand that. Still…she's got spunk.
 
He began disassembling his tent, and found himself smiling.
 
I wonder if I'll ever see her again…he thought.
_____________________________________________________________
 
“Welcome home, Aeris,” Elmyra smiled, “I trust you had a safe trip?”
 
“Nothing I can't handle,” Aeris smirked, “One monster, and some rain on the way back- that's all,”
Just then, Jessie walked into the living room. “Mrs. G- I just fixed the problem with your modem- oh, hey, Aeris!”
“Hey,” Aeris greeted her friend.
 
“I guess I'll check my emails then,” Elmyra excused herself, leaving the two girls alone.
 
“How was the mission?” Jessie asked.
 
Aeris sighed. “Jessie, why didn't you tell me you knew Zack was a member of SOLDIER?”
 
Jessie stared for a moment, and then sat down on the couch. “How'd you find out?”
 
“I ran into him in Gongaga,” said Aeris, “Thought he was gonna try and fight me right then and there, but for some reason, he doesn't wanna turn us in,”
 
“I can't figure that out either,” Jessie shook her head, “Geez, I'm sorry. I had no idea you two would cross paths,”
 
“I'm not blaming you for anything,” Aeris stated, “Not at all. It's just…someone in Shinra knows who you and I are,”
 
“It sucks…” Jessie agreed, “Man…and he was such a dish…”
 
“I thought you liked his friend,” Aeris teased.
 
“I already said he's too young,” Jessie glared, “Besides- what do you need to drool over Zack for? You've got Sephiroth,”
 
“What?!” Aeris exclaimed, “Jessie, no! He's my brother!”
 
“Not biologically,” Jessie grinned, “Besides- didn't you tell me your parents never legally adopted him?”
 
“He's nearly ten years older than me!” Aeris argued.
 
“You'll be of age in a year,” Jessie shrugged.
 
“I…!”
 
“You've spent all those years with that hunk and never had any `naughty' thoughts?”
 
“You're sick!” Aeris stormed off.
 
“Oh come on, Aeris- I was just teasing ya! Learn to take a joke! Aeris…!”
_____________________________________________________________
 
Stupid Jessie…what the heck does she know?
 
Aeris fumed angrily as she strode down the road leading to the old church.
 
She's right though…
 
Aeris banished that last thought from her head. He was her brother! Maybe not biologically, but still! Besides, what would he want with a kid like her? He would want a mature woman closer to his age- not some little sister type!
 
“Ah, you're finally back,”
 
Aeris turned around to see Sephiroth standing outside the door of the church.
 
“Oh, hey, big brother!” Aeris fumbled, trying not to let Sephiroth see the red creeping up on her face.
 
He didn't seem to notice. “I have something to show you. Come inside,”
 
Snap out of it, Aeris! Jessie's just messing with your head! Nothing's changed!
 
“Aeris?”
 
“Coming!” Aeris followed him inside the church.
 
The building was a mess. The pews were in complete disarray, and the whole place reeked of body odor and alcohol. Parts of the wooden floor were gone, most likely having been torn out and used for firewood.
 
Sephiroth stood near the altar. Behind him was an especially large patch of dirt.
 
“What did you want to show me?” Aeris as she walked up to him.
 
Sephiroth gestured behind him. “You said you needed to find a good place to plant your flowers. Plenty of dirt here. And it's not like this is private property you'd be trespassing on,”
 
“I can't use this place as my own private garden,” Aeris shook her head, “This is where all the beggars stay- it's their home,”
 
“None of them deserve this place,” Sephiroth said flatly.
 
“How can you say that!” Aeris exclaimed, “These people have fallen on hard times, all because of Shinra, and-!”
 
“I spent most of yesterday conversing with those men,” Sephiroth interrupted, “None of them are in their situation due to `hard times', even though in the end, they blame Shinra. I know it's easy to blame them for every bad thing that happens in life, but you can't let your hatred of that company cloud your judgment,”
 
“So why were they homeless?” Aeris sat down next to Sephiroth.
 
“One of the men stated that he never liked `the system'. Meaning, having to work forty hours a week for `the man'. Well, Shinra did not create `the system'- that man is just lazy. Another man, from what I put together from his life story, is a certified sex fiend who was fired from every job because of some kind of affair or sexual harassment. Another- and this was the most amusing of all of them- decided years ago that the material world was not worth seeking a place in, and decided that a more spiritual quest was the noble idea. Of course, he seeks to achieve this ideal by filling his body up with more drugs than a pharmacy. Even as he spoke to me, he was having one of his `visions',”
 
Aeris stared blankly at him. “And you want me to plant flowers where these nut-jobs live?”
 
Sephiroth smirked. “They don't live here anymore. I came, I brought them food, I talked to them…and once I realized they were no good, told them if they ever came back here again, I'd give them a few real reasons to complain about their lives,”
 
“You're so cold sometimes,” Aeris shook her head.
 
“And you're too forgiving sometimes,” Sephiroth told her, “Let this church be used for something good. That will never happen if people like them live here. You have a gift- they don't. Plant your seeds. Sell your flowers. Buy your dress. And make Midgar come alive,”
 
“You're the best,” Aeris smiled, “What would I do without you?”
 
“Go plant those seeds,” Sephiroth returned the smile, “You know you want to,”
 
“I'll be right back!” Aeris said excitedly as she ran out of the church.
 
Sephiroth stretched luxuriously and lay down on the pew as he waited for the girl to return.
 
The time is coming soon…my son…
 
Sephiroth jerked into a sitting position. “Who's there?” he demanded loudly.
 
No answer.
_____________________________________________________________
 
“Are you sure?” Elmyra asked as she sent out her last email.
 
“The time is right,” Vincent nodded, “We have a lot of strong and intelligent members in our ranks now. And…I think Aeris should be a part of this mission,”
 
“But she's so young!” Elmyra protested.
 
“Her powers will come in handy,” Vincent told her, “She's better than any mastered restore materia,”
 
“I still can't believe it,” Elmyra sighed, “And I thought she was being targeted for being close to Professor Gast and Sephiroth. To think that she and her mother were also potential specimens?”
 
“She's a special girl,” Vincent nodded, “Plants aren't supposed to be able to grow in Midgar, yet you have tulips peaking out of the soil next to your house,”
 
“Who else knows?”
 
“No one,” Vincent shook his head, “Aside from you, myself, and Sephiroth, nobody knows. Aeris knows the dangers of revealing her secret, yet she's been known to be a bit reckless with it,”
 
“Why share it with me after all these years, then?” Elmyra asked.
 
Vincent paused momentarily. “…Because I realized I can always trust you,” he said finally.
 
“Vincent…”
 
“We should take Sephiroth with us as well,” the gunslinger continued hastily, “Jessie would be useful in helping us make the phone calls we need, along with any technological issues we might have. Barrett's brute strength and his marksmanship, not to mention Dyne's as well-”
 
“Don't take Dyne,” Elmyra broke in.
 
“Why not?”
 
“I just found out today,” Elmyra explained, “Eleanor is pregnant. This is going to be a dangerous mission. She doesn't need that kind of stress. Please, Vincent…”
 
“Very well,” he relented, “Biggs can go in his place,”
 
“So it's really happening,” Elmyra sighed.
 
Vincent nodded. “Vice President Rufus Shinra will be traveling to Nibelheim next week. So will we. Once we get the chance, we abduct him,”