Fire Emblem Fan Fiction / Fire Emblem Fan Fiction ❯ Fire Emblem: The Bow of the Winds ❯ The Wolves Fear Fire ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fire Emblem: The Bow of the Winds
 
A Fire Emblem Fan Fiction by Keiya Taiko
 
============================================================== ======================
 
I do not own Fire Emblem, which is owned by Intelligent Systems. If I did, I should have made the wise decision to ship FE many years ago along with the Fat Italian Plumber and his Effeminate Italian Plumber Brother.
 
If you take any part of this fic and use it on your own fic, or your own website, without my permission, well, then, I should say… Imitation is the best form of flattery. Thanks.
 
Anyway, on with the story!
 
============================================================== ======================
 
Chapter 1: The Wolves Fear Fire
 
“So much for your perfect sense of direction…” Rika scowled at Dayan. She was once again riding behind Fukien.
 
“Hey, don't blame me… I just took us on a little detour…” Dayan said, making a face.
 
“If you call running around in circles `detour…'” Kei said, which made the others laugh quite a bit.
 
“Hey! Cut me some slack, will ya!?”
 
They were laughing at Dayan as they continued on the road back to their village. Dayan and Rika were riding Fukien, while Eleanora was riding behind Elbert in his white steed. Kei, unable to get a horse for himself, was traveling on foot. Dayan then rubbed the back of his head, growling a bit.

”Eleanora, are you better…?” Elbert said, seeing that Eleanora was looking a bit pale. “If you want, we can ask if we could rest for a bit…”
 
“No, it's alright, my lord…” Eleanora said, leaning by his back and resting her head at the back of her neck. “I just feel… a bit tired is all…”
 
“I told you never to call me `Lord' again, right?” Elbert said, smiling softly. “I am your friend, Eleanora, not your superior. I… don't want people calling me `Lord' or `Master'…”
 
“Lord… I mean… Elbert…” Eleanora whispered softly. “I hope our she is safe…”
 
“Yeah, I do too…” Elbert said, looking up at the clear blue sky. “I hope that nothing has happened to her…”
 
“Hahn, lovebirds…” Kei whispered to himself, watching the four ride off, while he trailed behind them. “It's been so long since I felt what real love feels like, yet…” he held his hand over his heart and stopped walking. “I still feel the pain here… It has never healed ever since you left… Lilina…”
 
“Hey, Kei!” Dayan called out to Kei, making him stop thinking and look up. “You okay back there? You sure the heat isn't making you feel sick?”
“Y-yeah… I'm okay.” Kei said, smiling. “I just need to think about something, is all.”

”Kay then.” Rika said. “You better move on, or else we'll leave you behind!”
 
“Of course…” Kei said, shaking his head, taking a deep breath, and then continuing to walk towards the four riding on steeds.
 
============================================================== ======================
 
“Okay, just beyond this hill is Kutolah Village.” Dayan said with a sigh of relief. “Finally, our long journey is over.”
 
“No thanks to you…” Rika said, rolling her eyes. “We should have been here by noon…and the sun's almost setting by now…”
“Well, at least we got here, right?” Elbert said, stopping his horse beside Fukien. Eleanora has fallen asleep behind him. “Please give Dayan some credit for his efforts…”
 
“Yeah, don't you think you're being too hard on him, Rika?” Kei said, smiling. “After all, he owns the horse you're riding right now.”

”Okay, okay…” Rika said, sighing exasperatedly. Fine, I'll rest my case. Anyway, let's go home.”
 
Dayan nodded, and then quickly stirred Fukien, causing him to ride up the hill, where he could see a clear view of the peaceful Kutolah Village, where he could finally be home with his mother and father at last…
 
But what he saw when he came up the hill made him gasp in horror. Rika's eyes also flew wide open, and when Elbert rode up to where they were, and Kei ran up to them, they could understand why.
 
The whole Kutolah Village was on fire. The screams of dying men, women and children pitched through the air, along with explosions of magic. Fire, lightning and ice flew in all directions, as the gers, which Dayan and Rika once knew as homes for their close friends, were now reduced to ashes or burning.
 
“N-no… who could…” Rika said, gasping in horror.
 
“Eturia…” Dayan declared. “It makes sense… that they'd attack us first… we are the easternmost tribe, and closest to them… but… why would they attack us? We were always at peace with Eturia…”
 
“Nonetheless, they are attacking right now.” Elbert then said calmly. “Dayan, allow us to accompany you in fighting them off. We owe much to you…”

Dayan nodded, and then, then rode down the hill, as Elbert drew out a lance and began to knock off the Eturian mages and shamans, some he stabbed and sent flying, while Dayan began shooting out arrows in a quick and efficient way. When they made it to the village, Rika jumped off Fukien, drew her blade, and then began to rush towards the other foes, kicking and slashing them. They then found a young Swordmaster dying, who Rika recognized as his cousin.
 
“Hyo, stay in there…” Rika said, holding onto the dying man, who held Rika's hand.

”Rika… Dayan… run…” Hyo said in a whisper. “They came… Eturians… will kill us all…”
 
“Hyo!? HYO!!!” Rika closed her eyes, as tears formed around her closed eyes. When she opened them, a fiery fury was evident in them, and then stood up, took her sword and Hyo's and rushed towards the oncoming mages.

”DIE!!!” Rika screamed, as her two blades flew like the wind, cutting down the mages in front of her. The mages and shamans sent Dark Magic and flames towards her, which she evaded with ease, gliding like an eagle in the air, and then she stuck them, cutting them all down.
 
“Why is Eturia doing this…?”Eleanora said, healing a Kutolah warrior who Dayan saved by shooting down a few shamans.
 
“They didn't bring monks or bishops…” Elbert said calmly. It seems Eturia doesn't want to let their white clothes be stained with the blood of the ones they call dirty…”
 
Rika returned to their side, just as Dayan was helping the warrior they saved to stand up.
 
“Where are my father and my mother? And where is Gyotan?” Dayan asked the warrior.
 
“The chief… he's fighting the leader… one who commands a spell that freezes your very bones…” the warrior whispered, as Dayan then let him rest on one side.
 
“Stay here for now. We'll try to find more survivors.” Dayan said, and the warrior approved.

The four then went deeper into the village, fending and stopped the mages and shamans from killing their friends. It was horrible. Men, but the elders, the women, and the children lay dead in the village. Then they noticed a female archer and a male mercenary fighting off a huge number of foes, but were surrounded. Dayan quickly sent arrows to pierce their bodies, as Elbert rode up there and stabbed them with his lance, and Rika struck with her sword, when every one of their foes fell, Eleanora, ran up to the female archer, looking surprised.
 
“Madelyn! Hassar!” Eleanora exclaimed, referring to the archer and the mercenary. “What are you doing here!?”
 
The archer, looking very surprised indeed, had long, blue-green hair that she tied behind her in a ponytail. She was dressed in a mint green Sacaen tunic, of which the lower part served as the skirt that reached a few inches above the knee, which a sash tied around her waist, where her quiver of arrows were stored, and she wore leather boots. The mercenary, looking equally surprised, had somewhat dark brown hair , and was wearing a bluish Sacaen tunic, with a sash that hung from one of his shoulders to support the sheath of his blade, a belt of black cloth, white trousers, and a pair of boots.
 
“Eleanora, Elbert…” the archer, Madelyn proclaimed. “I thought I told you guys to not follow me into Sacae…”
 
“Well, I guess we're pretty stubborn…” Elbert smiled, shaking his head. “But I should ask…”
 
“Later.” The mercenary, Hassar, said, his eyes focusing on the left of them. “We have to find the chief…”
 
A scream of “NOOOOOOOOO!!!” rang through the air, alerting them all. All six of them ran towards the source of the sound, and when they came there, they froze in horror.
 
Nami, Dayan's mother, was holding a figure in her arms. The figure was a man, and his body was pierced by several large shards of what was ice. Dayan looked closer, and shouted out in terror as he saw who it was.
 
His father, Roku, the Berserker Wolf, was bleeding and dying in his wife's arms.
 
A seedy-looking man, wearing a black cape, and had long, wavy white hair was laughing at the site with relish.
 
“How disappointing…” The man said, smiling darkly. “That the Berserker Wolf would fall to such small spells. What a pity…”

”BASTARD!!!” A man who was riding a horse, and his bow pointing towards the cloaked man proclaimed. “You were holding his wife captive! You full well know that he cannot strike down his own wife!”
“Father!” Rika exclaimed, looking a bit relieved. “You're alright…”
 
“Of course…” the man said. “Well, since you gave me quite some entertainment, I will tell you who I am. My name is Fortes, the Mage-General of Eturia. I shall spare you all for now, but only so to tell your barbarian brethren to gather thief forces to try and stop me. The harder you worms fight to survive, the better the kill. Go and tell them my words…”
 
As Fortes turned his back, Dayan then shot an arrow, which burned into ashes before it reached him. Fortes then smiled darkly, and then knocked Dayan away with a burst of flame.
 
“Pathetic…” Fortes said as he walked away.
 
“N-no…come back…” Dayan said weakly, trying to get up, but to no avail. “D-damn…
 
============================================================== ======================
 
Meanwhile, Kei was looking over the battle, surveying everything.
 
“Is this… his fault too…?” Kei thought to himself. “Does he really… want all these people to die…? In that case, I have to end this…”
 
He then took off his black glove, of which his right hand began to glow again with bluish green light, gathering brighter and brighter until he raised his hand into the air, firing a blast of light that lit up the night sky for a small moment.
 
“For the Eturian magicians, a signal like that meant their retreat.” Kei said calmly, looking down. Sure enough, a huge number of the enemies began to leave, either by warp, by foot or by horseback.
 
“Why… why must you continue to do this…?” Kei thought. “How many more must suffer before you are satisfied…?”
 
============================================================== ======================
 
Dayan crawled over to his father, of which the ice was now beginning to thaw. He held his father's hand, and it was cold as ice. Hassar, Elbert, Eleanora and Madelyn were talking amongst each other, and it seems they know each other very well.
 
“Father…” Dayan whispered, trying hard to hold back tears.
 
“My son…” Roku whispered, smiling. “I see that… you have come of age…how unfortunate that… I could never see that time…”

”Father… don't say that…” Dayan said, squeezing his father's hand. “We… we have a healer here… we can bring you back as good as new…”

”No… it's the end for me…” Roku said calmly. “Take your mother… and flee... take… your people… to a place where they can be happy… you are now… the chief…”
 
“Father…” Dayan felt his hand held weakly by his father, before he felt it let go. “Father!? No… FATHER!!!”
 
He bowed his head, and the tears he held for so long have begun to fall.
 
“I-it's all my fault…” Dayan said, holding onto his father.
 
“Dayan…” Rika said, tapping onto Dayan's shoulder.
 
“I… I wasn't there when he needed me…” Dayan said. “I… I failed my father…”

”No, you didn't.” Gyotan said, getting off his horse. “He died a proud warrior. Do not blame yourself for his death.”
 
“But I…”
 
“Did you really think that if you were here, it would make a difference, and that you would have prevented all this from happening?” Gyotan declared angrily. “Assuming such invincibility is stupidity in battle! Dayan, your father did not die for you to sulk and sink into your pain and sorrow! We can mourn your father now, but… after this stand up and fight!”
 
While Dayan, Nami, Rika and Gyotan were conversing, Kei walked over to Elbert, Eleanora, Hassar and Madelyn.
 
“So, these are your friends…?” Kei asked Elbert as he smiled a bit lightly.
 
“Yes, they are…” Eleanora nodded, sighing. “But, I feel horrible about the Kutolah… even though Hassar had sent some of them into the nearby Lorca village…”
 
“Hm… I see…” Kei said calmly. “How far is this Lorca village?”
 
“Not too far.” Hassar replied. “We should leave tomorrow…”

”Alright, then, it's settled…” Kei nodded, and then looked up. “Tomorrow, we'll leave for the Lorca Village…”
 
The moon was nowhere to be seen, and dark clouds formed in the night sky.
 
Rain began to fall, quenching the fire burning the village, and washing away the blood of the men, women and children who had died today.
 
============================================================== ======================
 
Well that's the end of Chapter 1, everyone. I hope you loved it.
 
The winds foretell a dark omen, one that will plunge everyone into war. All tears have been shed, all sorrows kept. Only anger and pain remaining his body as he pledges death to all who brought him death. But, is killing them going to bring him true peace?
 
Next, on Fire Emblem: The Bow of the Winds: A Flicker of Destiny.