Fire Emblem Fan Fiction / Fire Emblem Fan Fiction ❯ Gem of Red Flame ❯ Emerald Seas ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, this is MY version of Fire Emblem. No tactician. Don't want tactician. Don't like that? Go away. Yah… so here it is.

Oh yah… disclaimer: I don't own fire emblem. Big shock. I can guess that you have heard this about a billion times.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Emerald. Seas of emerald as far as she could see. That was all she wanted to see.

An enticing wind rose from the green waves and embraced her tenderly, leaving with a gentle kiss. She smiled. That was all she wanted to feel. The breeze in her hair and the grass under her feet. She knew she would miss it if she were ever to leave.

She would miss the warm sunlight during the long and lonely days. And she would miss the cool and starry evenings that bid her sweet dreams every night she would lay under moonlight. There was nothing she would desire more than the motherly wind and the emerald seas she had grown to always know and love if it was home that she ever left behind.

There was no other place that deserved the name "home" to her.

Eyes identical to the colour of the grass sparkled like the stars and hair nearly as dark as a raven's feathers flowed like water around her body. Her slender arms reached up to the clouds as if beckoning them to come down to rest, she shouted to the sky, "Alnahiam! Hassar! Madelyn! Hanon! Makinarmui! Alnahiam!" Her smooth laughter greeted the day as the dawn breezes shifted to morning winds and as the sun warmed her very spirit.

Yes. She would miss home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A young girl, about the age of eighteen summers, sat upon a hill that only stood as one of the endless waves of the emerald sea.

Her slender fingers dwindled idly with a blade of grass that loosely entwined with a strand of her dark hair that drooped down to meet with the ground. A sigh fell lazily from her lips, blowing some tendrils of black away from her face. They fell back toward her nose and rested there without much purpose. But it didn't bother her.

The wind shifted directions, lifting her thick locks into the air and over her head like an umbrella, shading her from the sun. She lost patience after brushing it away multiple times and ended up wrapping a dyed sinew tie around her tresses in order to tame them.

It behaved the way she wanted it to. She stood up and looked up at the clouds. They cast shadows identical to their shape upon the field, not a one passing over the sun. A smile stretched across her face as she watched her friends float overhead slothfully.

Standing there for a few more moments, she began to remember that she had grown a tad hungry. There was not much of a variety of food to eat, though. But that made little difference to her. Tightening her braided belt around her waist, she jogged down the hill to her ger.

Her tent-like home was situated at the side of a large willow. It was an odd place to find a tree of this sort, but it was there all the same. By this hour, her house was shaded generously by its branches, and positioned comfortably on one bare limb, was an old crow nearly the size of a raven. Its eyes were closed and it shifted its weight on each claw now and again in its sleep.

"Good morning!" she shouted happily as she ran by, waving to the bird.

It gurgled unpleasantly, opening one eye to get a look at her, then slowly shut it again.

The girl stepped inside her house and made her way across the floor, neatly paved with a hand-woven rug, and lifted the lid off of a basket that was surrounded by several others comparable to its shape and colour. Inside were dark green leaves that were of about the same length of her hand and were brittle to the touch. They gave off an aroma similar to seaweeds as she tore one into fours and sat down, placing them in her lap.

The familiar sound of tearing leaves echoed dimly throughout her one-room home as she bit into one of the fourths thoughtfully.

As she sat there quietly, an odd sound was heard from outside her sanctuary. She stopped chewing and perked up her ears, trying to determine a reasonable source for the noise. The disturbance paused for a moment, then continued again, this time louder than before.

"What is that?" she asked herself underneath her breath, prepared to have to go and find an answer. She stood up cautiously, placing her food upon an improvised table made from an old transporting box.

As she stepped outside, the stanch of fire met with her in a sour salutation. She wrinkled her nose in disgust and squinted. The smell of smoke must have irritated the crow as well, for it began flapping its wings violently and screeched loudly in discomfort.

The girl's eyes narrowed as she slowly and silently crept up the hill to view what lay beyond. Before she reached the peak of the knoll, she forced herself to lay flat in the grass. She was not sure of what it was that made her become so wary, but her conscience told her that whatever was making a commotion in these parts were certainly up to no good. Why would anyone besides the plains people waste time on the fields of Sacae? Bandits would. They were the only outsiders that had a purpose of destroying innocent homes and taking what they could only wish was theirs in this fair country.

She inched up along the grass until her eyes could see over the hill. Her soul thought right. Bandits. And seven of them. She nearly choked as her heart leapt into her mouth. She was well aware of the fact of being the only person to live out in this territory for at least thirty miles. They were out for her. And she was alone.

Before she knew what she was doing, she was already back inside her ger rummaging about for her sword, thoughts of revenge sliding in and out of her mind. Underneath a pile of maps and drawings was her sword. She enclosed a shaking hand around it's leather wrapped hilt and squeezed it tightly. "I need you now more than ever…" she whispered to the blade before she stood up once more.

She scowled at the feelings of fear and ventured to the door and stormed outside.

Slurred voices and the racket of clanking weapons were more unmistakable as she drew nearer the top of the hill. She felt no fear of standing up anymore, for now she was well armed and she soon realized that hr skill with a blade, even though she had not used it in several years, was unmatchable.

She glared down at the careless intruders, at the same time, examining them. One, who appeared to be their leader, carried a large axe on his back. All of them had torn clothes and- they all seemed as if they hadn't bathed in weeks or even months. The other six were bumbling about, knocking into their own things and into each other, shouting curses to one another, dropping axes, boxes and other things of the sort. One of them carried a bow and a few matches were at his belt. All the others bore axes that looked like their only real use was to chop wood. This was going to be an easy bunch to dispose of, despite their numbers.

"C'mon, Lyn… Their nothing but permanently drunken men… Stop shaking," she whispered out loud to herself, echoing her name once more, "C'mon, Lyn… Steady…" Her knuckles whitened under her gloves as she prepared to charge down at the trespassers. She was about to give herself another minute to prepare completely, but she had no chance to keep this time.

"Look! The girl! I thought she was dead!"

"Great! Now we'll just have to kill her!"

"Her stuff'll still be there after she goes down!"

Lyn let out a cry of rage, brandishing her sword and sprinted down the hill. The bandits had no chance to react. She crashed headlong into one of them, plunging her blade into his gut, sending him to the ground in an instant.

"Whoa, shit! I didn't know she could fight!" their leader shouted, "Dammit! What're you all standin' `round for?! Kill her!"

The remainder of the four axe men dropped their belongings and dove at her without thinking. She darted backwards and forwards with inhuman speed, slashing and stabbing crazily at her enemies, blood staining her sword and hands all the way.

The bandit who carried the bow lit a fire arrow and shot it in her direction, or so she thought. She paid no attention to him and continued her slaughter wildly, blindly aware of the fact that she was fiercely dismembering her adversaries.

Their leader backed off to their own ger, clearly in terror of her rage and ferocity. His axe was in his quivering hands, but he wasn't about to go and avenge his comrades just yet.

At about this time, Lyn had just finished off the archer and was panting rapidly to regain her sanity. Her arms and legs were bathed in fresh, hot blood, reviving long since forgotten memories. However, that blood was her own.

She looked up to realize there was only one enemy left; the leader. She tightened her grip on her weapon's hilt again and marched toward her final victim. She was no longer going to be prey.

As her enemy saw her coming his way, he shouted at her, "Get the hell back, you bitch! What're you doing going off and killing my men?!"

She had no need for words now. She screamed with fury and lunged at the bandit with all of her energy. He wasn't about to die as easily as his friends did. He raised his axe, causing her sword to glint off like water. But that only encouraged her. Lyn leapt at him again, this time aiming down low, slashing at his right leg.

The leader-of-nothing shouted in pain and anger, swinging his axe at her chest. Lyn shrieked in pain as a wound formed, stretching from her right collarbone to underneath her left arm. "YOU DIE TODAY!!" she screamed and drove her blade into his heart.

He choked and coughed, blood seeping out from the corner of his mouth, as he began to slump to the ground. Lyn prepared to finish him off, when he started to laugh. He was looking off to the distance from where she came, as if he was amused by whatever lay beyond. And he was.

A crow's screech echoed throughout the hills. Lyn looked over her shoulder and saw something that made her blood run cold and her skin turn pale. Smoke.

"no…" she whispered, tears welling in her eyes, "no… it can't be…" She broke into a run, wishing over and over that what was happening wasn't what she thought it was.

Dashing over the knoll that blocked her view of her home, she virtually shattered as she saw what had become of her ger.

It was engulfed in flames. The willow's branches had been set ablaze and were being charred to ash. Lyn screamed and started to run down into the inferno. But, realizing that there was nothing she could do, she collapsed, swallowed by a vortex of tears, fire, and rage.

yah. So there it is. It's a bit different from the actual game, but don't freak out about it, mmkay? Don't flame. I burn.