Fist Of The North Star Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ The Dragon is Reborn ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Egwene stood staring at the opening door. She was in shock about everything that was going on. The look of the throne room, Rand's behavior, the woman Selene, who she had realized was much stronger than Nynaeve, and Nynaeve was a match for the Forsaken in strength. It was incredible. And now this invisibility. Egwene had seen Moiraine use something like it once, but how had Rand learnt it. And what was he planning. She wished she had managed to make him angry at the Aes Sedai, to make him misbehave with them, but Rand wasn't acting like his usual self, and she shuddered to think what that might mean. And the supposed Aes Sedai Selene had interrupted her at just the wrong time.

Now she watched the Aes Sedai enter as the gate slided open. The Aiel guards stood ready for anything, and paying close attention to the Aes Sedai. Rand on the other hand seemed to be looking at something on the arm of his throne. She could see three Aes Sedai in front, linked, she stared trying to figure out how they were doing it. Nearly a dozen servants walked behind them, carrying large chests. The Aes Sedai seemed to be goggling at the throne room, until they realized what they were doing, and their faces again assumed the Aes Sedai mask of serenity. The servants felt no such compulsion though, and they continued to stare wide-eyed at everything as they moved forward. Finally after a while the Aes Sedai came to a stop near Rand. Both Rand and Selene seemed utterly calm.

"They are linked." Selene said. The three Aes Sedai suddenly seemed to stare at her. No doubt they could feel her strength in the power. Which made Egwene wonder if the Aes Sedai could feel her, or if Rand's invisibility extended to that as well. At least none of the Aes Sedai looked towards her, so hopefully it was alright.

Rand nodded to Selene, then looked towards the Aes Sedai "You will not channel around me. Let it go."

Three Aes Sedai faces stared at him. She wondered what he would do if they didn't, what he could do. Shielding someone who was embracing Saidar was a lot harder than shielding her before hand. And what would they do if he tried anything? Then again, Selene could likely shield them all alone, and the Aes Sedai seemed to realize this. They let the Power go. Egwene sighed in relief.

Coiren stood before the gate to this Rand al'Thor's throne room. The gate was quite presumptuously shaped like the ancient symbol of the Aes Sedai. The Aiel guards had sent a message inside, using a ter'angreal of some sort. She wondered where the boy would have gotten such a thing. She waited linked to Nesune and Galina, she was in control of the link. It had been decided that should there be a need to act, a link would be useful. They could not bring a whole circle of thirteen the first time in order to lull the Rand al'Thor's people, so this was the best that could be done, under the circumstances. There was a possibility that they would get lucky or manage to convince al'Thor to come with them today, and she had carefully planned what she would say, and what arguments she would give to answer his questions. This would all be easy, if the boy was as greedy as reports indicated. Yes, no real problem for someone of her abilities.

Suddenly she saw a light shine above the gate, and the symbol of the Aes Sedai parted, with the Flame of Tar Valon going to one side, and the Dragon Fang to the other. She moved forward, and so did Nesune and Galina walking beside her. She had scarcely taken more than a few steps, when she became aware of her surroundings. She stood suddenly still, her breath caught, and she knew that her sisters had done much the same. The whole room was a work of art. The room was covered with winged creatures of some sort, made of silver and gold, much like the shape on the Dragon banner she thought. There was a light in the room, it seemed beautiful somehow, and she couldn't find it's source, there were no lamps or any such, nor any signs of globes made of the Power, it was all very breath-taking. And there sat on the throne, a man looking quite impressive. The Dragon Reborn. Suddenly it occurred to her that if this was his throne room, something no one in this time could hope to make, then maybe, maybe…

Suddenly she came back to her senses. She had a job to do here. Obviously this throne room was made to awe whoever walked in, and she secretly admitted that she had been awed, but now she was in control, and she could feel through the link that Nesune and Galina were also back to themselves. Now that she saw, the throne had seats on both sides for people to sit and one was occupied by a woman in her late twenties, or early thirties, and quite beautiful. Perhaps she was his advisor, though they had never heard of such.

"They are linked." She heard the woman say. She was shocked, but managed to control it this time. They had never thought that he would have a female channeler with him helping him. Though obviously the girl was no Aes Sedai, and hadn't even channeled long enough to take on the Ageless appearance. Still, she found herself feeling the strength of the girl, though she shouldn't really have been able to feel it very well this far, and was again shocked. This time she thought that her shock was shared by her sisters. The girl was strong, very strong. Even much stronger than that girl Nynaeve was expected to be when she reached full strength. This was not good. The girl likely had the strength to shield them all even linked, assuming of course that she knew how. By how easily she had recognized a link, she could tell that the girl obviously knew something of channeling.

She saw the… boy nod toward the girl, and then turn his stare toward them. She suddenly felt that she was being looked into, that he was going to see her every thought. This must be what it was like for an ordinary person, when they were stared at by an Aes Sedai, she felt caught. "You will not channel around me, Let it go." She heard him say.

This was outrageous, but there was little that could be done under the circumstances. He was no doubt embracing Saidin right this moment. And with that girl with him, she didn't think they would be able to do much anyway. So she let the link go and released Saidar.

He nodded to them, as soon as they let it go, as if he had known, though of course that was impossible. More likely he had set it up with the girl to give a signal of some sort when they released Saidar, though she admitted that she had not seen it.

"So, let's start", he said "You are welcome guests, and have just arrived."

She felt a moment of confusion for some reason that she didn't know, but she shrugged it off, gathering herself, she began the introductions. "I have the honor to be Coiren Saeldain Aes Sedai, Ambassador of the White Tower, and emissary of Elaida do Avriny a'Roihan, the Watcher of the Seals, the Flame of Tar Valon, the Amyrlin Seat" she announced somehow her tone did not carry as it should have, and from the smile she could see on his face, she could see that this al'Thor - she said it that way in her thoughts to cover the awe that she was feeling here - thought that she had said something truly foolish. She felt embarrassment quickly followed by anger, though she held herself under control, and continued, introducing her companions.

The Dragon Reborn - she had a feeling that the title was more true than she had thought - simply nodded, and gestured for her to continue. Somehow that seemed to destroy the overall effect that she had intended. As if what she had said had said, and that she and her companions were not really important.

She had a feeling that it was time to rethink her strategy. The gift she had brought may not have exactly the effect she had intended in someone who commanded such splendor. And the offer for protection might not be taken very well either. Still she had her mission, and Elaida would have her head, if she failed. Best to go on as planned for now, and if it did not go well, they could re-plan their approach the next time they came. They had plenty of time after all.

"We bring a gracious invitation to the Dragon Reborn, the Amyrlin Seat…" and she continued to speak, mentioning all of the important points, that since the Tower accepted him, he should come with them, and he would be treated with all the honor that he deserved - how much he deserved being debatable. Somewhere during her speech she started getting the feeling that she was wasting his time, she didn't know why she thought it, or why it should matter, seeing how he was merely a male channeler just like any False Dragon before him, maybe more dangerous. She should be concerned with how to protect the world from him, and his foolishness, as was her duty as Aes Sedai… She pointed out, that if he chose to come with them, the Amyrlin would put the Tower's authority behind him, and grant him protection, though in what way the Tower put it's authority behind him was always open to debate, she thought with amusement. "In token of this, the Amyrlin Seat sends this trifling gift." She gestured to the serving women to open them. It took them a while to understand, and then they opened the chests they had brought with them, revealing the leather sacks filling the chests, she gestured again, this time harder, and the serving women started untying them. Gold coins started spilling out, along with gems and necklaces of various sorts. She looked towards the Dragon Reborn to see his reaction, for a moment there, she thought she saw disgust flicker across his expression, disgust mixed with pity, a moment and then it was gone. His face became unreadable, she realized then that in most of this conversation, except for a few times, his face had remained unreadable in a mask that she herself who had lived long among Aes Sedai could not easily penetrate.

When they got back, she was going to sit with Nesune, and go through this whole interview again. There were too many things here that were not right.

Had these been normal circumstances, she would have thought that he was going mad, and that was the cause of his odd behavior. But with all of the other strange things going on, she couldn't be certain. For all that Aes Sedai wore masks for everyone else she could see through the masks of other sisters, and right now, she could see that Galina, and Nesune were nearly as uncomfortable about this whole situation as she was.

She saw the Dragon looking at her, and then he spoke, and she felt something hidden in his voice, though she couldn't tell what it was, "That is a great deal of gold. I have no real need of it however. Nevertheless, I have recently opened a school for scholars and builders here in Cairhein, would you like to contribute to it, with the gold in these chests?"

This was definitely not a reaction that she had expected or planned for. She was suddenly at a loss of what to do. It was after all a great deal of gold, and putting it into just some school… fortunately, Nesune seemed to see her anxiety - though she had kept her face reasonably straight - and spoke, "I would like to see this school, and discuss with you perhaps your intentions with it. I am sure that Coiren sedai will agree with whatever judgement I make."

"Yes, yes" Coiren said in relief, "I will allow Nesune to see to the use of the money in this regard." She had a feeling that he could see her relief though. Now she had to maneuver this conversation back towards his going to the White Tower with them.

Rand al'Thor decided to interrupt her thoughts at this point, though he was looking at Nesune, "I will be making a visit to the school tomorrow, would you like me to show it to you, while I am there?"

"Certainly my Lord Dragon, I would be most pleased to join you." Said Nesune.

"Good, then if you can come in the morning, we will go together." Said Rand al'Thor. Then he looked to all of them.

"It has been good meeting you. But now, if you will excuse me, I have much work to do right now. Any important points you wish to discuss, Nesune can handle tomorrow." He said standing up.

This was turning out worse than she had thought, she had not been able to control this meeting at all. Obviously she should have planned more thoroughly, though she couldn't see how she could have anticipated this. It may even be that they would have to accelerate the plan for his capture, if all their meetings were going to be like this. Perhaps she should try again, she would not be routed this easily.

"My Lord Dragon, where I am sure that what you have to do is important" she said, as if anything could really be more important then the Aes Sedai, "You have to consider yourself and the future of this world. In the White Tower you could be protected, here you could die from an arrow fired from any window you passed by. It would really be best if you were to accompany us back to the Tower as quickly as possible."

For the first time in the whole interview, she saw his expression harden, a light seemed to shine in his eyes.

"Child" he said, "You cannot even begin to understand most of the problems that must be solved if this world is to survive. Or do you perhaps think that all it needs is for me to walk in front of the Dark One, wielding Saidin, and he will fall at my feet. I have seen what will happen to this world if the proper measures are not taken. Besides that there is the obvious problem that you seem to be overlooking. Those Aes Sedai of yours that you call the Black Ajah. If I were at the Tower, I would have to forever be looking over my shoulder to watch for attack. And that is assuming that they do not manage to form a circle or two, or use angreal to increase their strengths and attack me that way. Here at least, the number of channelers surrounding me can be controlled, and unknown channelers an be detected with shields… what you would call wards. So as you can see, it would be much more risky for me to go to your White Tower, then it will be for me to be here. Here at least, most of the attackers are not likely to be channelers. Now as I said, I have work that needs to be looked into. Incidentally, where is Gawyn, I asked that you bring him with you."

The shocks just kept on coming it seemed. First, he called her a child, definitely a sign of madness, unless it meant something else, she couldn't think clearly, though she felt that… then his comment about the Black Ajah, could not be easily denied. She could not say with surety that it did not exist, though she did not believe in her heart that any Aes Sedai would lower herself to serving the Dark One. He would likely notice hedging about, perhaps anger would be best, though he may be right. Then again, Elaida would have her head if she didn't bring him with her. Well the risk of Black Ajah could be handled. This situation was deteriorating rapidly. For one thing, he had no respect for Aes Sedai. They most likely would have to move to the other plan. She noticed that he was still standing expecting them to leave. His statement about the Black Ajah would also hinder any suggestions that he take one of them as advisor. One more try she thought, then gathering herself she raised her voice as if he had roused her temper, which he had in truth "How dare you suggest that Aes Sedai would serve the Dark One. The Aes Sedai have protected this world since the breaking." true, loosely interpreted. Just as she was about to say something more, she realized that the light in his eyes, and the hardness of his face, had suddenly increased, she could feel her stomach churning. Here she was standing in front of a male channeler and she couldn't even embrace Saidar. The girl would warn him. She could feel sweat slowly moving down her hairline. This was the first she had noticed that she was not maintaining the Aes Sedai indifference to the temperature, and that it was hot. Distractions at a time like this, plus he must see that she had weakened through her loss of control.

"Do you really believe that there is no Black Ajah Coiren? I think that I would like to see you say that straight out. Say it. 'There is no Black Ajah, there are no Aes Sedai Friends of the Dark'. Well…"

Damn! She knew she was caught. She with all her experience in mediation was being outmaneuvered by someone not yet in his middle years. She looked around at Nesune and Galina. Galina seemed to be in a fury, and Nesune, well Nesune seemed to look… amazed, she thought. Well they weren't going to be of any help. She had to change the subject. Only she couldn't think how. Gawyn was standing outside the door, and he had asked about Gawyn, though she could see no way to use that in face of the more important problem at hand.

He spoke again, "You seem to be having problems Coiren. No matter. Tell Gawyn, that I have setup a regency in Andor, under the Lady Dyelin. If Elayne does not arrive within the next six months at most. A new queen of Andor will be chosen. Who, I can't say with surety, and it is not really my concern. So it would be best to work fast. In case you don't know however, Elayne is with the Rebel Aes Sedai. So there is still plenty of time, if he is quick about it."

This was unexpected. Why had he put Andor under a strong woman like Dyelin, instead of a puppet that he could use easily. Still, Elayne becoming queen was far too important. "I will see that he gets the message." She said.

"Very well" he said, he looked at Nesune "I will see you tomorrow." And then he looked towards all of them "besides Nesune however, it would be best that none of you come into the area around the palace for a mile or so, without permission. I would prefer not to have non-threats activating my shields."

Yet another problem. Normally she would not believe that someone with only a few years of channeling behind him could master wards, but there were simply too many surprises here.

They would have to plan carefully before they decided to make a move, whatever move that was. She had a lot to think about, so she and her sisters, bowed a little, and turned around to leave. They would not show more respect to him. Especially with the way he had been treating them. Yes, there were plans to be made, and he would be taught the consequences of forgetting his place.

Egwene stood watching as the Aes Sedai left. She had wanted him to be arrogant, but this had been extreme. At times, she had almost been overcome by the urge to go over to him and box his ears for treating Aes Sedai in such a manner. But there was another point weighing in her mind. Rand looked at her and said, "I've removed the invisibility. Now, I am sure that you are tired and would like to get back to the tents." He had sit down, and was moving his fingers over something on the arm of his throne. "That was interesting" she heard Selene say. She had almost forgotten about the woman. Before they started discussing the Aes Sedai, she decided to cut in, "What were you saying about the regency in Andor? The throne is Elayne's by right. It is not for you to choose who gets it. And what were you at, behaving that way with Aes Sedai?" her voice had gotten loud to the end. Not too much she thought. Not half as much as he deserved, but she had to stay calm. Shouting never accomplished anything, she had learned.

It was Selene who answered her, "It was the people's choice, and in any case, it is unreasonable for the land to be without a ruler. If your friend Elayne cannot do her duties, then they should be taken over by someone who can."

That made her mad, this was her friend they were talking about. They didn't even care what she thought. Ever since Rand had come back with this woman he had been behaving strangely, she looked towards him "Elayne is the rightful queen of Andor, Rand . How could you do this to her. She loves you. I know she wrote it in her letters, as if what you were doing in the Stone wasn't enough to show it. How can you betray her like this?" and then she looked towards Selene, "And who is this woman, you say she's an Aes Sedai, but you didn't show the ambassadors from the Tower half as much respect as you show her. She has practically appear out of thin air. How much do you even know about her?"

Rand looked at her, that strange light had gone out of his eyes, but there was still an unnerving hardness to him. "Even if she loves me, it doesn't effect her responsibilities to her people. If she wants to be their queen then she must earn that right. I would suggest that you get a message to her if you can. After that, it will be her responsibility. As for Selene, I know enough to know that I can trust her without question." Said Rand. And then he pressed a few more of those… whatevers on the arm of his throne and stood up. A covering appeared on the throne behind him, and then it vasnished. Suddenly she saw slash of light near the gate out of the throne room. It seemed to twist into a hole in the air and she could see some other place on the other side. Rand gestured to the guards at the door, and then looked at Selene "The only way we can work undisturbed is if we go some place else. And I'd like to see if your mother is back yet, saying that he walked across the room, and through that hole, followed by Selene. Some Aiel had already gone through, possibly looking for enemies. A few more Aeil men and maidens followed him after he and Selene stepped through, and then she saw the hole, twist again into a slash of light, that vanished, leaving an afterimage in her eyes.