FLCL Fan Fiction ❯ thinking ❯ Belated Beat ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

_____Belated Beat_______________

"Hey, isn't that Naota?"

And they stare. I knew they would. They have no tact. Children. They maybe high school students, but they'll never grow up on the inside. I hate knowing that. I hate knowing that I'm like them.

(I can't be like them though. Haruko…Haruko didn't choose them…she chose me. That means I'm different. I'm not like them. I can't be like them. I hate them. I'm different. I'm not a Taro. I'm Takkun. I'm…special.)

Dad got me the hamster. He said that it was to repent for the death of the one from his childhood, the one he killed. He said to name Hamtaro. He might as well have said call Haruko. That's all it was. Something new. Something to take my mind off of her. I've had him for awhile now. He hasn't died yet. I don't know what that means. I want to think that it means she's still alive, and will come back to me. That doesn't make any sense and that was why it made sense.

I sat at my desk. It's by the window. Farthest from the teacher's desk. I looked around and saw everyone staring at me. They were at different seats since I last came. I hate these arrangement changes. Why can't everything stay the same?

"nothing amazing happens here….

I wasn't going to move, and no one looked like they were going to make me.

"You're late."

I looked up and saw Ninamori. She was looking down at me. Like she always did. Always. It never changed. That look, that stare, it was all the same. Just like…like when….

"So?" I replied, glaring out the window. I didn't care what Ninamori thought of me. I didn't.

"You have to go out into the hallway. It's the rules."

"Where is the teacher?" I said, leaning over to look past her, at the desk. It was empty when I got here. Late. The teacher would have been at the desk with a newspaper. He wasn't here today.

She slammed her hands against my desk, hands on top of it, gripping the sides, hovering over me, blocking my view. "Now!" she said.

I couldn't see the desk anymore. Ninamori blocked my view…Ninamori's…blocked my…view…

I felt my heart skip a beat.

It was the first time I felt it beat so fast…since…she…

I looked away, glaring at the window. Again.

Childish. That was so…childish…

"Ninamori, why don't you just grow up?"

She stood up, aggravated. Her hands were on her hips, staring down at me again. "The buckets are already out in the hall."

____a/n______________

you know what sucks? I typed out a good chapter that I really really really really liked at a friends house, didn't have a floppy, she didn't have any internet access, I tried to print it out, but her printer wasn't working, so I had to trash it. This is an attempt at the chapter's former glory…