Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Bump in the Road ❯ Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

A Bump in the Road
Chapter One: Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair
 
A/N: Thanks to the lovely Aoi Tsuki for beta-reading. She's perfectly brutal, and we love her perfectly. Now, before either of us forget, there are a few matters we need to address (we promise that this will be the only A/N of a ridiculous length -- forgive us, please):
 
1. Neither of us own Furuba in any way, shape or form. I mean, we own the DVDs and the manga, but the idea totally belongs to Takaya Natsuki, Tokyo Pop, Funimation, and Hana to Yume. We're just borrowing the gang for a spell. We'll give 'em back. Honest.
 
2. How to put this diplomatically? Every story needs a villain, and ours is Akito. If you can't handle Akito being ... well, evil, this story's not for you. Also, though we do acknowledge the Very Special Spoiler regarding everyone's favorite god, this story is not an Akito/Shigure pairing. There is Shigure/Akito action, but the story is NOT Shigure/Akito.
 
3. "A Bump in the Road" will feature not one, but eventually two OC's. No, we're not kidding. This may just be Niamh's MO -- we're not sure, really. Or maybe it's just that the two of us are striving to eradicate the Mary-Sue, one fandom at a time. They're OC's, but not Mary-Sues. Trust us. The moment either of them display signs of Mary-Sue'ism, Aoi has been instructed to beat us with something large, blunt, and very heavy. And we don't want to be beaten.
 
4. We've already mentioned that this story uses elements from both the anime and the manga, and that characters present in the manga (but not the anime) either appear or are referenced. This is important. Please don't forget this. The story is neither anime-centric or manga-centric. It's both.
 
5. Oh, and if you're biting your nails over whether the story is "Kyouru" or "Yukiru," your wait is over: Kyou/Tohru.
 
Now that we've got that unpleasantness out of the way, on with the show!
.
.
.
 
Chapter One: Fair is Foul and Foul is Fair
 
And, which is worse, all you have done
Hath been but for a wayward son,
Spiteful and wrathful; who, as others do,
Loves for his own ends, not for you.
 
~Macbeth, III.iv.10-13
 
Shigure sighed; it was going to be a long day.
 
The novelist knelt by a small cluster of shrubs, pruning shears held loosely in his hand. He watched Yuki's form grow smaller as every step took him further and further away from the house. He knew as well as anyone that a summons from Akito wasn't a thing to be ignored. Akito would not be ignored.
 
An "invitation" to the main house was typically less than auspicious for any Juunishi, but for the Rat it was a different story entirely. For Yuki, such an order was cause for fear.
 
Lowering dark eyes to the bushes, he clipped slowly, trimming back the dead and dying branches to allow room for new growth. Even now, waxy green leaves were pushing their way forward on young limbs. It was early still, and a persistent chill hovered in the air, but spring would not be deterred -- delayed occasionally, but never deterred.
 
Despite his concern for his younger cousin, Shigure couldn't quite ignore the small twinge of excitement in the pit of his stomach. What did Akito's summons portend? What new move was the head of the Sohma family going to make? And what did it mean for the eternal game in which they all were locked?
 
A dark smile touched the Dog's mouth for a moment. I do believe it'll be fascinating to find out.
 
***
 
All over the Sohma estate, the sakura trees were coming alive with tiny buds that would soon burst into bloom, softening what remained of winter's hard edges. Though frost seemed to cling to the earth, springtime hovered just beneath the surface, appearing in scattered clumps of new grass, the vibrant green bringing life to the dead, brown blades.
 
There was life beyond the walls of the main house, life beyond the walls of Akito's apartments. But here -- here hung the oppressive veil of sickness. Here, death was imminent.
 
Yuki hated this room.
 
But here he knelt, hands braced against his legs, eyes trained on the tatami. One did not ignore Akito -- one did not go against Akito's wishes. So, whether Yuki liked it or not, when he got word that Akito wished to speak with him, he had very little choice in the matter.
 
At the moment, his only small comfort came with the knowledge that in a few scant months, he would be far from Sohma house, far from Akito, ensconced at the University of Kyoto. Even though it meant leaving Honda-san as well, from the moment his acceptance letter had arrived, she'd spoken of nothing but how wonderful the news was, how happy she was for him -- how excited she was.
 
And yet, lurking just beneath the reassuring warmth of her smile was a sliver of sadness. It made him feel hideously selfish, but Yuki was sure that if he had declined the scholarship, Honda-san would have blamed herself for his decision. Yuki knew her well enough to understand that she only wanted her friends to be happy, regardless of her own happiness.
 
He gave himself a mental shake, and a voice that sounded annoyingly like Kyou's ribboned through his mind. She'll be all right if you're not there. Despite reports to the contrary, the sun doesn't rise and set on you, nezumi.
 
Akito moved on the futon, and the soft whisper of shifting material was loud in the silent room. The noise sent Yuki's thoughts scattering like marbles. Blinking, he snuck a glance at the head of the family.
 
Akito sat quietly by the open shoji door, staring outside; a tiny white bird was perched on his finger, and it held his full attention. Silence hung in the air for what felt like hours, until the Sohma turned his head slightly, finally choosing to acknowledge the Rat's presence.
 
A faint smile lit his pale lips. "I'm glad to see you still remember your duties to the family, Yuki."
 
Yuki swallowed hard, lifting his eyes to regard Akito through the fall of his bangs. The external calm that so many believed to be natural faltered for a moment as Yuki strove to maintain his equilibrium. When he spoke, his voice was soft, bland, and noncommittal. "I am a Sohma," he murmured, as if this were the only explanation necessary for remembering one's duties. I am a Sohma, and nothing I can ever do will change that fact.
 
Akito's smile grew slightly and he lifted his hand, sending the bird fluttering out the window. "True." He stood in a fluid movement, gliding towards Yuki. "You've made us all very proud, you know."
 
Yuki's nod was brief. "I've only done my best."
 
The touch that drifted across the teenager's head sent something cold slithering down his spine. Akito's fingers feathered lightly through his bangs. His voice was by Yuki's ear, low, soothing, melodic. "I know." After a moment, Akito drew back, smiling slowly. "I wanted to talk to you."
 
Yuki lifted his gaze, lavender eyes meeting blue. They held each other's gaze for several moments, and as the eye contact lengthened, tension wound around Yuki's spine. He could feel a faint headache forming at the base of his neck -- it came from the sheer effort it took to keep his expression patently blank. He was going to have a migraine before he was through here. "Yes?"
 
The fingers in his hair traced a cool path down the side of Yuki's face. "What are you doing after you graduate?"
 
Akito's eyes were boring down into Yuki's when, finally, the Rat had to look away. Once again, he focused on a spot on the tatami. "I've... I've been accepted to the University of Kyoto." Yuki was bemused; surely Akito knew this already. Nearly everyone had heard about his full academic scholarship -- it was unlikely Akito, who seemed to know everything that happened within and beyond the walls of Sohma house, had missed this information.
 
"Ah, yes. Kyoto," Akito echoed. "So far away..."
 
"It isn't that far on the trains," he replied reasonably. Yuki already knew exactly how long the trip to Kyoto was, and he'd already assured Honda-san several times that, no, it was not too far away to visit.
 
"And what will you do there, so far away from us? From me?" He leaned forward, chuckling softly. "What will happen when they see you for what you are?"
 
Stiffening internally, Yuki strove to keep his voice steady. "I will go to Kyoto, and I will study -- to bring honor to the Sohma name. I managed three years of high school in a similar environment."
 
Akito's voice was like raw silk. "You did." His fingers slid under Yuki's chin, tilting his head up, forcing the Rat to look him in the eyes again. "Even though we wished you to attend a different school."
 
Yuki's jaw tightened, and he swallowed the bile that surged in his throat. We? Don't you mean "you"? He forced himself to meet Akito's penetrating stare unflinchingly. "Despite that, I received an excellent education at Kaibara."
 
That smile grew, deepening the chill crawling down Yuki's spine. "You did." Smooth fingertips drew back, caressing Yuki's face. "But you had the resources of your family to draw on." He straightened and turned, walking slowly back to his niche, but Yuki could still feel the cool touch burning his skin.
 
Yuki's brows furrowed slightly. "...Resources?"
 
A slender hand gestured vaguely as the head of the Sohma family looked over his shoulder. "Shigure's house. Hatori's... abilities. And of course, the kindness of Tohru-kun..."
 
Tohru-kun. Yuki swallowed hard, shoving down the rush of protectiveness at Akito's familiar, casual use of her name. The words were designed to provoke a reaction, and Yuki was determined not to give it. He was not going to bring Honda-san into this conversation. "Hatori's skills were not required once while any of the Sohma have been at Kaibara." Haru and Momiji were still attending, and Kisa would be enrolling soon. There had been a few close calls, of course, but no incidents.
 
"Perhaps. But when something happens at Kyoto..." He shook his head slowly. "Do you expect me to send Hatori all the way over there to take care of it?"
 
Yuki's reply was quiet and reasonable. " Nothing is going to happen at Kyoto, Akito-san."
 
Two dark brows shot up as the slender young man turned. "Are you challenging me?"
 
Despite the many years he'd lived away from Sohma house, despite the fact that he'd managed to avoid Akito except for when it was absolutely necessary, and despite Honda-san's calming influence, that expression, that tone of voice rousing nightmarish memories he'd thought long-buried. When Yuki finally managed to find his voice, it was lower, softer. "Of course not. I'm only saying that if no such incidents occurred while I attended Kaibara, then it's unlikely that Kyoto will be any different."
 
"We can't take that risk," the other Sohma murmured, shaking his head slowly.
 
Violet eyes widened minutely. "...What?"
 
Taking slow, gliding steps, Akito crossed the room, picking up a packet from a nearby table before turning again towards Yuki, tossing it down in front of him. Reaching out with a hesitant hand, the Rat picked up the packet. As he realized what he was staring at, he felt a faint, familiar tightness in his chest.
 
Not here; not now.
 
Taking slow, steady breaths, Yuki willed the heat in his chest to subside. When he could speak, he looked up at Akito once more. "... What... what is this?"
 
"Read it."
 
Gripping the papers with hands that only looked steady, Yuki read the top page again -- and again. As his eyes skimmed the words, and as their meaning sunk in, Yuki felt the walls of Sohma house rise up around him again -- again, when he was so close...
 
When Yuki looked up, he saw Akito watching him with a small smile playing about his lips. After a moment, he spoke. "It's too dangerous for you in Kyoto, Yuki. It's too dangerous for the family. When they found out..." He shook his head slowly, almost mournfully. "I'd have to send Hatori. Questions might be asked."
 
The words washed over Yuki, who was too stunned to speak. He was not going to be attending the University of Kyoto. In his hands was an acceptance letter from Takaya University, dated several months' previous.
 
It took several seconds for him to find his voice again. "I never applied to this school, Akito-san."
 
Narrow shoulders lifted in a small, elegant shrug. "An oversight."
 
His response was nearly inaudible. "I see."
 
"I only want to keep you safe, Yuki. Away from those who wouldn't understand." The words were too soft, too gentle, too reassuring to be genuine.
 
At those words -- at that tone -- Yuki looked up at Akito, and for a moment, the lavender depths sparked with all the helpless rage and fire the Rat had never been permitted to release. But soon the moment passed, and once again the quiet Sohma tightened the reins on his emotions, and his expression was bland once more. He saw Akito's smile widen and he gritted his teeth.
 
"Is that all you wished to speak with me about?" he asked in a low voice.
 
The other young man nodded and walked back to his niche, resettling himself gracefully. Yuki had only just gotten to his feet when Akito looked up at him. "Oh... before I forget."
 
The Rat froze, bracing himself for another bombshell.
 
"Tell that monster you live with... that I want to see him."
 
That monster.
 
Something in Yuki stiffened, and he gritted his teeth harder, feeling heat throb around his jaw. Yes, he knew precisely who "that monster" was. But it had been nearly a year since a dark, wet night, when thunder crashed in the distance and lightning reflected feral purple eyes. The scar on his arm was faded, but the memories hadn't dimmed; his anger with Akito flared hot again, but he kept his gaze deliberately blank.
 
"I'm sorry, who?" he asked mildly.
 
The reply came with a delicate sneer. "That disgusting Cat."
 
Yuki retained that same bland, disinterested tone. "Oh, you mean Kyou."
 
The silken kimono that swathed Akito moved like water as he shrugged. "He doesn't really deserve a name," he murmured dispassionately. "He's just a creature underneath."
 
There's a monster in the Sohma family, but I think there's some misunderstanding as to who that monster is. "Very well. I'll tell him." He gave a brief bow and turned to leave.
 
The soft, sweet, eerily melodic voice trailed after him. "And come see me more often, Yuki. I miss you."
 
Nausea cloyed at his throat, and Yuki closed his eyes for a moment. Swallowing against the bile, the young man murmured coolly, "Good-bye, Akito-san." He left quickly and quietly, feeling the china blue gaze -- eyes that were at turns both amused and predatory -- drill into his back, making the fine hairs at his neck tingle uncomfortably. Step after step, Yuki strode quickly through the halls of Sohma house, wanting nothing more than to escape the claustrophobia that came whenever he found himself within the walls of the estate.
 
That suffocating sensation didn't fade until he found himself on the main street. He walked quickly -- the route to Shigure's house was one he could have navigated with his eyes closed -- taking deep, gulping breaths of brisk February air. Unfortunately, none of it did anything to alleviate the helpless rage that coursed through his veins, and when he arrived home, he opened the front door with a sharp snap.
 
At the sound, Shigure's head poked out from his office. "Welcome home, Yuki-kun!" he sang out cheerfully.
 
Ignoring him, Yuki dropped the packet on a hall table, instead letting the sound of the television lead him to the great room where Kyou sat, bored, watching a mindless anime flicker across the screen.
 
Over time, the cousins sparred more frequently than they fought -- they bickered habitually, though now their arguments were somewhat less explosive than they had once been. At one point, Shigure had claimed that they'd started to mellow in their old age. Of course, that explanation fell flat whenever either cousin threw a punch.
 
It was times like these -- times when he was reminded of the fact that he was, when all was said and done, still subject to Akito's whims -- that made Yuki want to hit something. He ached to unleash the bitterness, anger, and frustration upon which he'd always kept such a tight leash. And it was just much more satisfying to fight Kyou, who'd become a much more challenging opponent over the years.
 
Yuki stood in the doorway, glaring down at his cousin. "Get up," he ground out through clenched teeth.
 
At the sound of the Rat's voice, the orange head turned. "Eh?"
 
"Get up, neko," he growled, enunciating each syllable.
 
Frowning quizzically, Kyou got to his feet. Some bug had apparently crawled up the nezumi's ass. "What the hell's wrong with you?" he asked, folding his arms over his chest.
 
Without a reply, Yuki threw a quick, sharp punch, connecting solidly with Kyou's shoulder.
 
The other Sohma staggered back at the blow, raising his fists automatically. "Oh, you wanna fight, do you?"
 
Lavender eyes narrowed. "I do," Yuki replied calmly, hitting Kyou again, this time in the midsection.
 
A prickle of apprehension ran down Kyou's spine. It wasn't like Yuki to pick a fight without any provocation whatsoever. But here he was, his movements precise and fast, striking like a snake. And there was no way in hell Kyou was going to share that analogy with his cousin.
 
But even as Kyou blocked the punches, and connected with a few of his own, something didn't seem quite right. Yuki didn't fight like this, normally. He was more of a cerebral fighter, strategizing and reading Kyou's moves before he delivered them -- it was a skill Kyou himself had been trying to work on.
 
Testing the nezumi, Kyou tried a blow of his own, aiming for Yuki's face. The Rat blocked the punch, gritting his teeth -- baring his teeth -- before swinging a kick that landed against Kyou's chest, sending a sharp, slicing pain through his torso, winding him temporarily.
 
 
When the sounds of fighting reached Shigure's ears, he frowned faintly and stood, padding quietly out of his office. His eyes caught the packet on the hall table and he picked it up, his frown deepening. After a few moments, he lifted his head and glanced toward the great room, his brows furrowing. I have a bad feeling about this.
 
Taking a few steps, he peered into the room, getting a good look at his younger cousin's face. Yuki's expression was grim, his jaw set, and his eyes flashing. He pivoted gracefully, dodging Kyou's leg and using the momentum to send him tumbling backwards over the kotatsu table.
 
Swearing silently, Shigure stepped forward. "Yuki-kun!"
 
"I didn't send him through the door," Yuki replied, his voice flat.
 
"Thank you for that, but..."
 
The Rat turned suddenly and glared hard at the older Sohma. "But what?"
 
Shigure's hands went up in a placating gesture. "Nothing, nothing."
 
Without another word, Yuki stalked from the room, heading upstairs; after a moment, his bedroom door opened and closed. Shifting his gaze, Shigure turned his attention to his other cousin, who was slowly getting to his feet, shaking his head.
 
"Ow," Kyou muttered, straightening slowly. He winced suddenly, a hand going to his ribs.
 
Shigure took a step forward. "Are you all right, Kyou-kun?"
 
"I've had worse," he replied, sitting gingerly at the kotatsu. "What bug crawled up his ass, anyway?"
 
"He went to see Akito."
 
Garnet eyes looked up sharply. "He what?"
 
"Akito summoned him," Shigure said placidly, settling himself at the table.
 
"What the hell'd he do that for?"
 
The elder Sohma lifted the packet. "Apparently Yuki-kun isn't going to Kyoto after all."
 
Kyou stared for a moment before shaking his head slowly. "...That meddling prick."
 
"Kyou-kun," the novelist said reprovingly. "He's still the head of the family."
 
The Cat gave a brief snort. "Oh, what's he gonna do, kick me out?" He touched his cheek and grimaced; when he pulled his fingers back, the tips were red with a light streak of blood. "Crap."
 
Shigure looked narrowly at his cousin. The young man had one arm wrapped around his torso, and he seemed pale beneath his tan. "...Need something?"
 
Kyou was silent for a few moments; there was a sharp throbbing in his ribs, and he wanted nothing more than to curl up under the warmth of the table. He blew out a breath. Pretending that he wasn't hurt wasn't going to fix the ache in his side. "Yeah. I think I need some painkillers." Much to his surprise, the Dog only nodded once before walking silently from the room. He shifted carefully and settled on his side, closing his eyes.
 
A few moments of silence passed before Kyou became aware of someone in the room. Opening one eye, he half-expected to see Shigure returning; instead, Yuki's tall, slender frame stood in the doorway. Kyou could almost see the light catch Yuki's eyes as the Rat watched the Cat dispassionately.
 
"He wants to see you, too," he said quietly, walking through the room, opening the shoji, and going outside, closing the door quietly behind him.
 
Blowing out a silent breath, Kyou closed his eyes, swallowing against the sick, cold feeling in his stomach. We haven't graduated yet; that can't be it...
 
Shigure's steps soon approached, and Kyou forced himself into a sitting position. The elder Sohma held a small bottle of aspirin and was already tapping two into his palm.
 
"...Shigure."
 
"Hmm?"
 
"I think..." He winced again. "I think I need to see Hatori." Gritting his teeth, Kyou shifted in an attempt to find a position that wasn't completely uncomfortable; it was more difficult than he would have imagined. "Feels like I might've cracked a rib."
 
Shigure looked at his cousin for a long moment. It wasn't like the young man to admit discomfort or anything else that could be construed as a weakness. If anything, he was probably underplaying the injury. Nodding to himself, the Dog slipped the tablets back into the bottle. "I'll call him."
 
Shigure padded silently to the hall phone and picked up the receiver, dialing Hatori's number. After a few rings, his friend answered the office line, sounding vaguely distracted. "Yes?"
 
"Ha-san..."
 
"Ah, Shigure -- how are you?"
 
"Oh, fine, fine..." But there was a level of tension in his voice; the brightness was forced, and Hatori had picked up on it.
 
"Shigure?" he asked, lowering his voice slightly. "Is everything all right?" Even over the faint static of the telephone line, Shigure could hear the concern in the doctor's tone. Sometimes he wondered how his friend managed to be so concerned about everyone, all the time.
 
"Actually," he replied, clearing his throat before giving an awkward chuckle, "Kyou-kun needs to see you." His brow quirked slightly. "It appears Yuki-kun broke him. He says he thinks he cracked a rib."
 
There was a brief pause. "...Yuki did that?"
 
Shigure lowered his voice further. "He saw Akito today."
 
He could almost hear the doctor wince. "Understood." There was another pause, and Shigure's ears could pick up the sound of a shoji door sliding open and then the familiar snick of a lighter. There was a breath in, and the light rush of air as he exhaled. "Aside from the obvious, how did it go?"
 
"...Akito enrolled Yuki into Takaya University. He'll be going there instead of Kyoto." Once again the static-laden rush of air filtered its way into Shigure's ears, and he nodded. "Exactly."
 
When Hatori spoke, his voice was soft, introspective. "He hasn't done that sort of damage to Kyou since... well, since before they moved in with you." There was another pause, and Shigure could almost see the pensive frown forming at his friend's forehead. "I'll be by to collect Kyou shortly."
 
Shigure injected a degree of cheerfulness into his tone. "All right. I'll sit on him to keep him from moving around."
 
As he stood outside, overlooking the rock garden, Hatori shook his head slowly. "Remind him about the last time he cracked a rib and punctured a lung," the Dragon replied dryly. "That should encourage him to sit still."
 
Shigure assured him that he would do just that -- and if it meant annoying Kyou at all, Hatori was fairly certain that Shigure would be as good as his word. After returning the cordless phone to its receiver, Hatori sighed, sliding his hands into his pockets. He'd seen the look on Yuki's face when he'd been accepted to the University of Kyoto. Yuki -- stoic and quiet -- had exuded joyous excitement. And why not? Kyoto was that much farther away from Sohma house.
 
Hatori ground out the cigarette. Another Sohma's dream, gone. Crushed on a whim.
 
The doctor rubbed tiredly at his forehead for a long moment before fetching his keys and seeking out Momiji, who was bent studiously over a medical chart. As the vibrant boy grew into a vibrant young man, he'd shown an interest in studying medicine, and after weeks of insistent pleading, Hatori had finally agreed to let him help out in the office. That had been a year ago.
 
"Momiji," he said quietly.
 
The blond head jerked up suddenly as his index finger moved to hold his place; the young Rabbit's brown eyes were wide and inquisitive. "Yes, Ha'ri?" Aside from an impressive growth spurt that already put him at Kyou's height, he'd changed little over the years.
 
"I'm going to need you to keep an eye on things for a while -- I have to go out."
 
Momiji smiled warmly. "Don't worry, Ha'ri -- I'll keep this place running like a well-oiled machine." He punctuated the sentence with an authoritative nod, and Hatori couldn't help the faint smile that tilted his lips.
 
"I'll be back shortly," he said, fidgeting lightly with the keyring as he turned, his steps leading him out of the office and around to the private drive where he kept his car. The trip to Shigure's house was a short one -- short enough to walk, though Hatori seldom opted to make the trip on foot.
 
Gravel crunched under the car's tires as he arrived at Shigure's house. Hatori killed the engine and let his hand linger on the door handle, frowning thoughtfully. There had been a time when Yuki and Kyou did far more serious damage to each other, but those days had seemed long gone once both boys moved in with Shigure.
 
Correction: once both boys became acquainted with Honda-kun.
 
Sliding out of the driver's seat, Hatori turned his steps down long pathway that led toward the house. If he gave the matter serious consideration -- and if he were completely honest about it -- he would have had to admit his skepticism. The chances of Akito permitting the young man to attend school so far away from home were slim at best, made even slimmer by the fact that the young man in question was the Rat.
 
Suppressing a sigh, he knocked lightly on the door; it slid open immediately, revealing Shigure, who, unless the doctor missed his guess, had probably been watching for him.
 
He moved to the side as Hatori stepped in, sliding out of his shoes. "He hasn't moved an inch, Ha-san."
 
The doctor nodded once. "He's not a stupid boy."
 
"Headstrong, but not stupid."
 
"And that's not an altogether bad trait."
 
Shigure nodded, closing the door. A tiny, wry grin lit his lips. "You would know."
 
"Mmm. I think it's fair to say I've had some exposure in that department."
 
The other man opened his mouth to reply, but Kyou's voice interrupted, discomfort making his tone sharper than usual. "You guys gonna stand there talking or what?" He was standing in the hall, shoulders slightly hunched, one arm wrapped carefully around his torso.
 
Hatori studied him for a moment. "I assume you're quite ready to go, then."
 
The young man nodded, taking a few slow steps forward. "Besides, the nezumi said Akito wanted to see me." His shoulders lifted in what was meant to be a careless shrug, but the Cat winced at the movement. "Figured I'd get that over with."
 
Shigure's eyes widened, his brows knitting in concern. "On top of..."
 
Kyou tipped his head to the side and gave the novelist a wry look. "He's not gonna kick me around."
 
A beat of silence passed; dubious brown eyes and stoic green ones exchanged a glance that said far more than words could have.
 
"Even so," Hatori began, his fingers nimbly picking through the keys on the ring before settling on one, "if you do decide to speak with Akito, I don't recommend you spend a great deal of time doing it. At this point, rest is more important." It was fruitless to even attempt to talk Kyou out of seeing Akito -- he was resolved to get the unpleasant errand out of the way as soon as possible. Hatori couldn't say he blamed him.
 
"Damn," Kyou replied, deadpan, "I wanted to spend a couple hours with him."
 
Shaking his head, Shigure moved forward to open the door. "That's right, get the sarcasm out of your system now, Kyou-kun."
 
The doctor paused, watching as the injured young man's steps led him through the door. Worry, unhappiness, and something that looked a great deal like defeat all flickered in the sea-green depths of his eyes. When he looked up, Shigure was watching him, an eyebrow cocked in curiosity.
 
"We wanted it to be better for them," Hatori murmured, his tone nearly inaudible. When Shigure nodded, he shook his head slowly. "I'm not sure it is."
 
There was a brief pause -- a hairsbreadth of time in which Hatori saw his friend appear to grow older before his eyes. The novelist blew out an exhausted sigh. "I know."
 
Of course he knew.
 
Hatori turned and watched Kyou amble carefully down the path toward the car. "Try and... I was going to say 'reassure Yuki,' but somehow I'm not sure reassurance is what he requires right now," he murmured, his eyes never leaving Kyou's slightly hunched form.
 
"I don't imagine he'll want to discuss the matter right now," Shigure replied quietly. And then, as was so typical of Shigure, his next words came injected with brightness that now sounded forced to Hatori's ears. "Besides, I'm sure once Tohru-kun returns from work and hears the news, she'll heap enough sympathy and tender loving care upon both of them to alleviate--"
 
"Shigure."
 
The novelist's words stopped short and the cheerful demeanor shifted like quicksilver; he seemed almost to deflate, shoulders sagging as his eyes closed. "I know, Ha-san. I know," he said, his voice low.
 
Pressing his lips together in thought, the doctor regarded his friend for a long moment. "Depending on Kyou's results," he said slowly, "I may drive him home as well." He paused. "In fact, I believe I'll drive him home regardless."
 
Nodding, Shigure looked out the door. Kyou was still walking, his steps slow and determined. "I assume he'll need to rest for a few days." At Hatori's nod, he let a faint, genuine smile warm his lips. "I'll tell Tohru-kun so she can get ready to fuss over him."
 
Hatori gave a brief smile, a fleeting one laced with equal parts sympathy and empathy. He nodded once and turned, his long-legged strides catching up easily with Kyou.
 
Shigure watched them leave, his expression pensive. He stood in the doorway long after both figures disappeared from sight. Ha-san's car started, the sound of the engine fading as he drove off. Closing his eyes and exhaling deeply, Shigure slid the door shut.
 
 
 
In the car headed back to the Sohma estate, silence reigned. Neither Kyou nor Hatori were particularly talkative individuals to begin with, but now both of them were lost in their own thoughts. Kyou was settled in the passenger seat, wincing minutely whenever the car took a bump, however miniscule.
 
Hatori frowned inwardly; he couldn't begin to imagine why Akito wanted to speak with Kyou, but he was confident that it was nothing auspicious. "Kyou?" he began quietly, but the Cat shook his head.
 
"You're not talking me out of this," he said, never opening his eyes. "I want to get this done and over with." There was a short silence during which time Kyou's lips twisted sardonically. "Besides, I figured he'd enjoy seeing me hurt."
 
Hatori did not agree out loud. "I don't recommend you speak with him at all while you're injured; however, I know better than to try and deter you."
 
Kyou let out a harsh, un-Catlike bark of laughter. "Believe me, it's not my idea. The nezumi said Akito wanted to see me. If I had a choice, I'd stay way the hell away from him."
 
Exhaling hard, the doctor pressed his lips into a thin line. Unfortunately, you don't have a choice; none of us do. He guided the car expertly into the main compound, navigating a series of short roads before pulling up to the small cluster of buildings that comprised his offices as well as his house. "We're here."
 
Kyou expelled a short, hard sigh. "Right. Let's get this over with." He climbed out of the car, his movements deliberate, and followed Hatori into the building and through the series of hallways leading to the examination rooms reserved exclusively for the Juunishi.
 
Several radiographs later, Kyou was seated on an examination table, waiting for Hatori's return with his results. He still hadn't managed to find a position that didn't hurt -- only some that hurt significantly less than others. He sat still, his breathing shallow, as he turned over the fight once more in his mind. He was, of course, annoyed with himself for failing to block the kick that had landed so squarely against his ribs, but riding alongside that annoyance was that prickling apprehension. If Akito's eyes were already turned toward the future -- and his sudden realignment of Yuki's university plans suggested that they were -- then that most certainly did not bode well for the Cat.
 
He inhaled as deeply as he dared -- it was a breath that was intended to be steadying, but breathing caused Kyou too much discomfort for that to be the case.
 
Several more minutes ticked by on the clock; there was a quick knock and a brief pause before Hatori opened the door.
 
"So what's the damage?" Kyou asked tiredly.
 
"You have a simple hairline fracture along your eighth rib on the left side." The Dragon shrugged a bit. "Nothing's been punctured, and aside from a few impressive bruises--"
 
Kyou snorted.
 
"--everything else looks fine."
 
Nodding once, the Cat stood carefully, one arm still wrapped around him. "Y'know, part of me's pissed he's been holding back all this time, but--"
 
"This doesn't necessarily mean he's been holding back, Kyou," Hatori interrupted patiently.
 
But Kyou shook his head. "No, he was..." He trailed off, frowning, trying to articulate it. "He was... cold," he said slowly. "He had this weird... clarity."
 
Hatori nodded, but said nothing. He wanted to hit someone he knew could and would hit back.
 
Blowing out a long breath, and wincing as he did so, Kyou turned scarlet eyes on the doctor. "You need to wrap it?"
 
Hatori shook his head. "No, your body will keep it immobilized just fine. I don't have to tell you to take it easy -- and I have some analgesics I want you to take." He produced a small brown bottle deep from within the pocket of his white lab coat. "Two every six hours should keep you comfortable."
 
A small, wry half-smile tilted Kyou's lips as he took the bottle. "I'll even take 'em this time."
 
"I'd imagine you would -- after spending four days as a cat the last time."
 
Sheepish, Kyou looked down at his hands, long fingers turning the bottle over slowly. "Yeah, well, even the Cat can learn something," he muttered. After a moment, he handed the bottle back to Hatori. "Listen, hold on to these for me. I gotta--"
 
"Go speak with Akito," Hatori finished for him, putting the bottle back in his pocket. "I understand."
 
"I'll be back for them," Kyou said, heading for the door.
 
Hatori nodded. "I rather had a feeling you would be." He fell silent for a moment or two. "I'll drive you back to Shigure's house when you're done."
 
"Thought I'd jog," was the deadpan reply.
 
"I don't recommend it," Hatori countered, equally straight-faced.
 
Kyou turned his head, his gaze focused on the long corridor before him. "Guess I'll just go get it over with," he murmured, half to himself.
 
"I'll be here when you're done," was the doctor's quiet reply.
 
*****
 
The shadows had grown longer since morning, when Yuki had knelt where Kyou was now trying not to fidget. They filtered through the shoji, touching the room with an aura of gloom and despair unsuited to the beauty of the spring evening outside. Or maybe, Kyou thought, the shadows aren't coming from out there.
 
Akito lay motionless on his futon, his back turned on his room. He had a glass or something hard in his restless, skeletal fingers; Kyou could hear the light clicking sounds. He's just doing it to get me tense. Kyou clenched his teeth and focused on regulating his breathing. I'm not going to lose my temper. I'm not. I'm not. He bowed carefully, grimacing as his rib protested, but managing to keep any sound of pain from escaping.
 
"You came sooner than I expected," Akito said. He sounded neither pleased nor displeased by this observation; he could have been commenting on the weather.
 
Kyou held the bow, ignoring the mounting pain. "I was here for something else, so I thought I'd come."
 
Another long silence fell, punctuated only by the monotonous clicking of whatever Akito was toying with. "You graduate next month, do you not?"
 
"Yeah." My last month of freedom, and I can't even concentrate on beating that fucking nezumi because he cracked my ribs. Kyou gritted his teeth. Oh well. At least she won't have to remember us fighting this way.
 
Akito rolled over, kimono twisting around his torso in disarray, gaping open to reveal bony clavicles. "And, of course, you remember the details of our little arrangement." His eyes gleamed at Kyou from behind the fall of his bangs.
 
"Yes," Kyou bit out, sitting back on his heels.
 
Akito smiled slowly and rose to his feet, not bothering to straighten his kimono. He gazed up at the ceiling. "It occurs to me, neko...." A beautifully carved jade figurine of a rat tumbled out of the folds of his robe. "Yuki is... unique, is he not?"
 
What the hell does that mean? "Yeah," Kyou said. "So what?"
 
The head of the family stooped and picked up the figurine, caressing it slowly. "Perhaps asking you to beat him in a scant eighteen years was asking too much." Akito's smile widened as Kyou's eyes darkened. "He is, after all, the superior fighter. The superior scholar." His fingers traced the smooth lines of the figure with an almost obscene affection. "He is simply... superior."
 
Kyou forced himself to concentrate on a mental image of a sunny smile and cheerful turquoise eyes that nothing could darken. Slowly the roar of his temper subsided in his ears. "Saying he's superior to the Cat isn't saying much." He wasn't too surprised when the crack of the slap resounded in his ears. Way to go, baka. He had the fucking statue in his hand too. Figures. A warm trickle of blood wound its way down his cheek. And he reopened that cut. I hate visiting the main house.
 
"Did I invite you to speak?"
 
Kyou shook his head.
 
Akito nodded and wandered over to his shoji, gazing out into the garden. "It is with Yuki's superiority in mind that I have decided to offer you an extension." Kyou swallowed, feeling a cold lump of dread form in his stomach. "Yuki has decided to attend school locally." He turned and shot Kyou a malicious smile. "But I see he already told you." Akito ignored the hiss that escaped the tense boy and walked over to a fragile table on which rested a bamboo vase and a thick packet of paper. "If you can defeat the Rat before you graduate from university, then... you may join the Juunishi."
 
You don't mean that, you asshole. Kyou nodded curtly.
 
"The rest of our terms still stand. Do you have any questions?" Kyou shook his head this time and was rewarded by the packet landing in front of him. "You may leave."
 
As the Cat-cursed boy walked towards the door, papers clutched in his fist, Akito sprawled bonelessly on his futon once more. "Oh, monster. One more thing."
Kyou stopped, hand resting on the shoji into the hallway.
 
The head of the house set the jade rat down lovingly by his pillow and touched it lightly on the head, as if bestowing a blessing. "Tell Yuki I said... good job."