Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ A Caged Heart ❯ Killing the Moment ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 17.5 - Killing the Moment:
 
They sat on the roof, side by side.
 
The wind rustled the scattered debris below.
 
A string of clouds drifted by, almost as endless as the soft silence that wafted in and out of streaks of golden sunlight.
 
Until what sounded like a cat wailed atrociously in the distance.
 
“Yeah, yeah - I'm getting to it already!!” yelled Kyo, lifting his head from the palm of his hand.
 
Tohru jumped somewhat, and turned to face him.
 
“Hm?”
 
“Nothing! No, that's not what I meant - it's not - I'm just... you know - it's really...” His cheeks flushed, which appeared to only frustrate him further. “I don't know! I mean, I know you know, but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't - `cause I know I should - well, I think I should - but that doesn't really matter anyway, `cause I want to and all - so...”
 
Tohru blinked slowly.
 
It was the downward spiral of all downward spirals - a wet road circling down an almost ridiculously steep mountain, with dangerously sharp corners and an abundance of loose and crumbling rocks, upon a deserted island which was sinking into the depths of the Pacific Ocean in the trunk of a car made completely out of lead.
 
The more Kyo stumbled, the more confused Tohru became - and the more Kyo stumbled.
 
And the only one with a will powerful enough to even dare to stop the perpetuity of this dizzying and distressing state of being - the only one best suited for turning the status of any and all situations completely and utterly inside out and upside down (whether or not this was requested or even necessary) was -
 
“There you two are!” declared a triumphant voice from the other end of the roof.
 
“Oh!” Tohru's heart almost skipped a beat at the idea of having worried someone else. ”Were you looking for us? I'm so sorry, Shigure!”
 
“Don't worry - it wasn't any trouble at all, really!”
 
“...Shigure?” Kyo finally risked glancing in Tohru's direction, and grimaced as his eyes confirmed what he'd really hoped would not happen this time. It seemed like the roof could no longer be considered a safe, peaceful haven away from everything and everyone you wished not to be around during the more special moments of your life.
 
Then again, Kyo wasn't sure if he would have ever been able to shut himself up - and he knew for a fact that Tohru could have starved to death before interrupting. And he had already made enough of an ass of himself as it was...
 
Kyo froze.
 
Was he actually glad for Shigure interfering? Dare he say - or even think - grateful?
 
Unaware of the distraught he was causing the orange-haired youth, the man waved as he clambered up to join them.
 
“Oh, I hope I'm not interrupting any sort of lovers' spat...” Shigure grinned playfully.
 
Any sliver of appreciation for the mangy dog's tendency to stick his nose where it was not needed evaporated in the air of what was just recently a downright perfect afternoon for telling someone that you wanted to spend the rest of your life with them.
 
“Why are you always sneaking around like that?! It's not as if there would be anything to interrupt anyway - but it's damned annoying!” Kyo leapt up, so as to tower over his bothersome cousin better. And it worked. Somewhat.
 
“Kyo, you're completely spoiling that little moment you two were having-”
 
“What moment?! Shut up, you stupid dog! You've been writing way too many stupid novels-”
 
“Oh, dear - I might go as far as to say that you're actually murdering the poor thing!”
 
“Goddamn it - if you don't stop - I'm not killing anything!”
 
“Well, when you're right, you're right. The moment's already dead.”
 
“Shut the hell up already!! Nothing was happening! What do you want?!”
 
Shigure's expression hardened. Kyo's wrath wavered - even the impish glint in Shigure's eyes had dimmed. It had to be something serious...
 
“...What is it?” Tohru inched forward, anxious.
 
Shigure took a deep breath.
 
“Yuki... is missing.”
 
 
Author's Note:
 
In a parallel universe, this chapter ended differently...

Shigure's expression hardened. Kyo's wrath wavered - even the impish glint in Shigure's eyes had dimmed. It had to be something serious...
 
“...What is it?” Tohru inched forward, anxious.
 
Shigure took a deep breath.
 
“Kyo... killed the moment.”
 
“OH MY GOD, YOU STUPID DOG!!! ENOUGH ALREADY! I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!!!”
 
Tohru tilted backwards slightly, placing her hands over her ears in an attempt to lessen the piercing shrieks and reverberating crunches, as little smidgens of Shigure splattered all over the roof.
 
“GODDAMNIT! AND I'D JUST WASHED THIS SHIRT!”