Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ At Peace ❯ At Peace ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
AT PEACE
A Fruits Basket Fanfic Short

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess


DISCLAIMER:
Fruits Basket is owned by Natsuki Takaya/HAKUSENSHA - TV TOKYO - NAS - Fruba Project and licensed by FUNimation Productions, Ltd (for distribution in the USA). All copyrights go to them and not me. All characters are used here without permission. Please do not sue. I have no money, although I would be happy to give away my bills. ^_^




I always thought that smiling could take away any kind of pain. From a scratch on the skin to a small internal bruise from a verbal slant. I thought that by smiling, I would suddenly become happy and that happiness would be contagious. If I was happy everyone around me would be happy, too.

But that is far from the truth.

A smile only portrays happiness. It doesn't give it. It doesn't erase the pain from the scratch. It doesn't wipe away the emotional strain of the verbal slant. It only hides it. Heightens it.

And then...BOOM! You explode. Everything bursts from you and you have no control over yourself and your surroundings.

I remember the day it happened to me.

I stopped smiling on that day.

I stopped...period.

Akito had wanted to talk to me. I wasn't sure why. Had I done something wrong? I didn't remember any instances where I would've made him angry. Of course, it could be any little thing. Or nothing at all. I walked into his rooms feeling very confused and just a little frightened.

Our conversation started out relatively normal. He asked me about school. I was entering my final year of high school and I was very excited. Graduation seemed promising and so did my future. I looked forward to going to school. To college. Getting a job. Possibly starting a family.

It was when I said "family" that Akito frowned at me.

"What makes you think you can have a family, little bunny?"

I blinked. The question was to be expected, but I had no ready answer.

And for that I was punished. Most harshly, from what I heard Hatori say later.

I wish my memories weren't fading with my energy. But I do remember most of what happened to me that day. The fists and feet that connected with various parts of my body. The steely hands, which touched me in the most inappropriate of places. The fingers that scratched and poked and pulled. And the voice, the voice of the devil telling me that it would all be over soon.

I did not doubt him in the least.

My eyes opened to a bright room. White light flooded my vision before globs of color became evident. Black and green swirled with white and another voice tried to break through my ears.

"What the hell happened to him?"

"He was speaking to Akito. Hand me that glass of water, Haru."

"What would he have said to piss Akito off like that? I've never seen the bastard so...damn...full of himself. He's proud of this. Here you go."

"Arigato. Momiji? Momiji, can you hear me?"

I lifted my head, and that slight movement caused the world to go spinning on its side. I felt bile rise to my throat and I emptied the contents of my stomach onto the floor, managing to push myself on my side just in time. When I was finished, I laid back down, my eyes blinking, trying to refocus.

"Gross," Haru said. "I'll clean it up."

"Momiji? Can you sit up? Are you dizzy? I need to put some fluids into your system to keep you from vomiting again. Think you can handle it?"

I smiled at Hatori, telling him everything would be all right.

Then I fell unconscious.

Never to smile again.

And all that was left was the pain. The horrible, burning and overwhelming agony.

I've been a vegetable for months. Unable to move or speak. I've been on life support for over a month. I understand that Akito has ordered the life support to be cut off if I don't wake up in the next few days.

A nurse comes in to check my vitals. I can hear her work and then walk away. She stops in the doorway, and I hear voices. Is she discussion my progress? With who? Has someone come to see me today?

"Momiji?"

My name is called by a sweet, loving voice. I'd like to respond, but I can't. There are no words anymore, no actions. Nothing I can say. Nothing I can do.

But I do feel more relaxed now that she's here. I feel at ease. At peace.

I haven't felt that since I slipped into my coma.

I haven't felt anything quite honestly.

But I'm glad she's there.

BEEP. Pause. BEEP. Long pause. BEEP. Longer pause. BEEP.

There's a field of white before me. I hear voices, encouraging me to walk towards the bright center. They smile at me. The smile and I smile in return. I haven't smiled in months. But I have a reason to smile now.

BEEP. A very long pause. BEEP. Seconds pass. BEEP.

I'm at peace.

"Momiji!"

Don't panic, Tohru.

"Nurse? Nurse!"

I'm ready.

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

Ready to move on.


~OWARI~