Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Beautiful Shinegami ❯ Part 03 ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Fruits Basket and all its characters are properties of Takaya Natsuki-sensei and Hana to Yume comics. Everything else in this fanfic are figments of my imagination. Any similarities to name, places, yada yada yada are simply examples of the world's many coincidental mysteries. Earlier chapters of this fic is available via FF.NET and Mediaminer.org

May 9, 2004
Beautiful Shinegami
Part 3
by Ina-chan

"Tooru... Tooru?"

The familiar voice filtered through my consciousness. It was a voice that I heard many times before. Even just the simple memory of that soothing voice always brought me comfort... the same way as the memory of you always gave me strength.

"Hmmm... you stayed up late studying again, didn't you?"

"Just five more minutes..." I tried to mumble in reply, but only it came out as a low moan. I snuggled deeper into my blankets, clinging into its comforting warmth as I struggled against the the insistent tug of wakefulness.

"Toooru~~ if you don't wake up soon, all that studying will go in vain!"

"Yes Mom," I managed to sigh as I turned into a more comfortable position. The sun's morning beams filtered through the window, the delicate frilly curtains failed to completely block the offensive light as it shone into my eyes. Mom? My eyes shot open and I sat up with a start to meet my Mother's smiling face watching me in amusement. My heart started to pound hard in my chest, and tears pooled in my eyes as I sprang forward to her arms, "Mom! I'm so glad! I had a horrible dream! You died and I died and there were these strange people!"

My mother held me close and patted my head reassuringly, "It's alright sweetie, it was just a bad dream. Everything will be alright."

"But it seemed so real!" I sobbed, unable to stop my tears as I held on to her tightly, "I was so scared! I was all alone and thought that I would never see you again..."

"Tooru," My mother gently pulled me away so I could meet her eyes. Her gentle voice instantly soothing my anxieties, "Remember that you're never truly alone. I know things can get hard, but you have to be strong. There will always be people around you to support you... and you will have to be strong for the people who needs your support."

"People who needs my support?" I echo faintly, not understanding her words

My mother simply smiled, her face was slowly hidden away from the bright morning light behind her as she got on her feet and slowly moved away. I wasn't sure if it was just a trick of the light... but it almost seemed, just for an instant, it wasn't my mother's gently smile beaming down on me... but rather... it was... you.

"You'll be alright now, you'll be okay until we meet again," You whispered, though your voice rang clearly in my head.

With my heart pounding loudly in my ears, I instantly tried to get on my knees to reach out for you, "WAIT!"

Only to find myself sitting up on a futon, reaching out towards an empty space toward the window...

"A dream, I was just dreaming..." I whispered, my heart sinking in disappointment. All at once, I was struck by the irony of my current situation and started to regret all the things that I had casually taken for granted when I was alive. Mom did tell me once, that it was human nature to realize how precious something that you once took for granted only after you loose it. It had barely been over a day, and I already miss it. My life as a normal teen-ager...Uo-chan and Hana-chan... my family... my day-dreams of once again meeting you. Eventhough I am technically a part of your world now, the chances of us meeting again seemed to be just the same when I was still alive... they go only as far as my dreams. "It was all just a dream..."

"Yeah, well I hate to see you in action when you're awake," A voice groaned beside me, "You're just as bad as he is..."

"Eh?" I clutched my blankets instinctively and spun towards the voice, to find a familiar orange haired figure sitting on the floor beside my futon, clutching his jaw, "K...Kyou-san... isn't it?"

Kyou flinched in annoyance, "Geez... drop the honorifics. It sounds too weird when people call me like that."

"I'm sorry! Kyou-sa... I mean... Kyou-kun..." I sputtered automatically as I watched him get on his feet, still rubbing his jaw. My eyes widened upon the realization of what had happened, "AH! Did I hit you? I'm sorry! I didn't mean to..."

"Look, we don't have time for this," Kyou interrupted irritably, "Kagura left clothes for you over there. The toilet is sort of in use right now." As if on cue, a rather violent round of muffled coughing exploded over the sound of a running tap, from behind a nearby door, "Kagura just went out to get something from the convenience store. I'm going out to meet her so you can change here."

"A...no..." I stammered as I nervously eyed the washroom door, "Is he..."

Kyou-kun snorted as he rose to his feet and made his way to the door, "Don't worry about him. He'll be in there for a while, so it's okay for you to change. 'Sides, you're not his type."

"AH! NO! THAT'S NOT WHAT I..." I felt my cheeks flush in complete mortification. The thought didn't even cross my mind. I waved my arms in complete panic, just as another round of coughing rang clearly, "I... I mean, is he... okay in there?"

""Well, it's not like he's going to die," The orange-haired boy shrugged, "We'll be back in a few minutes."

I could only watch mutely as Kyou-kun left with a small dismissive wave, leaving me to sit all alone and ponder at my current situation. I surveyed my surroundings and found myself in a small and very cute looking one-room apartment. It was easy to conclude that the place belonged to Kagura-san. I couldn't help pinching myself to make sure that I didn't wake up into another dream.

"Itte!"

That hurt... The room didn't disappear... and Yuki-san is still coughing his lungs out in the washroom. With a deep breath, I got on my feet and made my way to the low table pushed to the corner of the room, where a simple and conservatively cut black dress lay. I couldn't help frowning at the outfit. It wasn't as elaborate like the ones that Hana-chan usually wears. Mind you, I always thought Hana-chan's clothes suit her and were quite lovely... but I was never really fond of wearing black. Specially these kinds. They remind me too much of funerals... and I had my share of more than enough funerals in my short lifetime. Well... as they say, beggars can't be choosers. Kagura-san was already kind enough to let me stay the night and lend me her clothes. If I ask for anything more, I'll be punished.

With one last nervous glance, I eyed the closed washroom door anxiously. The coughing seemed to have quieted down underneath the loud gush of water. Yet, there was no sign of Yuki-san emerging, just as Kyou-kun said.

"Second-in-command..." I mumbled absently as I remembered the events that happened just hours before.

I was on my way to my part-time job after school, when an antique cabinet fell on me and I died. I somehow ended up with a group of people who claim to be Shinigami, which I was supposedly to be one now. We picked up Yuki-san from a hospital morgue and came to Kagura-san's apartment. For some strange reason, I could sense that everyone seemed to be holding some kind of deep reverence with Yuki-san... despite Kyou-kun's harsh words, it was obvious that there was something about Yuki-san that he... maybe... feared. Well, Kagura-san did introduce Yuki-san as the second-in-command, though there is this vague feeling that it was something more than just status. But to be quite honest, there really isn't anything I found particularly fearful about Yuki-san. He seemed very... I don't know... fragile. Kyou-kun had to carry him all the way here. He wasn't exactly how I envisioned a person with a title as "second-in-command" would be at all!

Then again, everything I'm learning about the Shinigami wasn't exactly how I originally envisioned them to be. I always believed them to be these mystical creatures of the shadows who would come for you when your time is up. I never imagined that a Shinigami would be a cute girl who lives in a small and modestly furnished Tokyo apartment... or a hot-headed boy who gets ordered around a lot... or a fragile-looking thing who was currently sounding very sick in the toilet.

"I know this looks bad... but he really isn't normally like this," I remembered Kagura-san's words from last night, as I watched her put a blanket over Yuki-san's sleeping figure, almost with maternal affection, "This is just one of the consequences of Yun-chan being Yun-chan."

"Eh?"

"Well," Kagura-san paused as she ran a mental list with her fingers, "His metabolism is kind of slower than a normal Shinegami, so it takes almost ten times slower compared to everyone else for him to recover. Of course, by saying that... if you manage to get him to drink, unlike the rest of us, he actually gets drunk... and you're set for a few hours of entertainment. Sometimes he has trouble with his short-term memory... specially when he's like this. So don't get offended if he doesn't get your name right the first couple of... uh... months... He can be completely blunt and tactless, but he doesn't mean anything malicious. Oh... and sometimes Yuki does this 'thing'. That's only because Akito is checking in on us. He likes to do those surprise visits once in a blue moon. Don't get freaked out when that happens. Akito usually freaks the heck out of people... specially first timers."

Akito-san... The memory of everyone's reaction when Hatori-san said that name flooded back to my mind. "Akito-san sounds like someone very important, isn't he?"

"You can say that..." Kagura-san replied, as she cast an apprehensive glance at Yuki-san, "Akito's word is pretty much law."

I figured that Akito-san was very important... but I didn't know that he was THAT important, "Is Akito God?"

"Hell no! Though he sure likes to think he is!" Kyou-kun let out an annoyed snort, "This day has been bad enough dealing with that damned Yuki and you just had to make it worse talking about that damned Akito. I'm going out!"

Kagura-san gave our orange-haired companion an exasperated look as he walked out of the door before turning to face me, "It's pretty obvious, ne? Kyou-kun doesn't really get along with Yun-chan and Akito. And yes, Akito isn't really God. Though he does have some certain... authority... that sorta makes him seem like one. At least to us, anyway."

"I see..." I replied, though I really didn't understand anything at all.

As if sensing my uncomprehension, Kagura-san chewed on her lower lip as she obviously searched for a better explanation..."Hmm... How do I explain this... well... compare this to the living world. Like if you're working for a company... Akito to us is somewhat like... 'middle management'. Everything that happens in our district is directly under his jurisdiction... whether it be dispatching new members to units or handing out our assignments. A word of the wise, make sure that you don't do anything that would attract negative attention with Akito."

"Why?"

"If you displease Akito in any way," Kagura-san swept an involuntary glance at Yuki-san before continuing, "He's been known to create very 'unpleasant' problems for people."

My eyes widened, "Is that the reason why Yuki-san has so many problems?"

"Ah? No! It's not like that!" Kagura-san exclaimed, "That's really just the way Yun-chan is, I'm afraid. Though, it's not a secret that Yun-chan has a close connection to Akito. I don't know the true details because there are too many conflicting stories and Yun-chan never made any effort to clarify anything... but you don't need rumors to confirm that there is something very special about Yun-chan. As much as many of us would hate to admit it, Yun-chan is one of the best Shinigami to come around within the last couple of hundred years. At least, not since Hatori. He's also probably the youngest to attain such a high standing with the boss. You're very lucky. Every Shinigami would trade an arm and a leg to be mentored by 'The Rat'."

"Eh?"

I suppose there were a lot of things that normally happen in the world of the living that doesn't change when you enter the world of the dead... "undead", rather. I have to admit, that despite my reservations about associating with these strange people... I also can't help but feel intrigued by them. I do want to learn more about Kagura-san, and Kyou-kun, and Yuki-san... I suppose specially about Yuki-san, since it does seem that I will be spending a lot of time learning what I need to learn from him.

The sound of persistent coughing brought my wandering thoughts back to the real world. I've already finished dressing, and just as Kyou-kun had predicted, Yuki-san was still in the washroom. I already know that there was really nothing to worry about. I mean, after all... how worse can one be than being already dead? However, while I may not be a Shinigami for too long, feeling sick can't feel any more different from a Shinigami and a normal living person, can it? AAAAH! I suppose old habits are difficult to ignore. Before I could even think about it, I found myself knocking tentatively at the door, as I called out meekly. "Anou... Yuki-san... are you alright?"

My inquiry was only met by the sound of running water. I wrung my hands together uneasily, unable to shake that queasy jittery feeling from the pit of my stomach. Gathering all my courage, I tentatively reached out to touch the door knob, "A...anou... Yuki-san... etou... I'm c-coming in..."

"WE'RE BACK!!!" Kagura-san suddenly called out cheerfully, flinging open the door, as she and Kyou-kun walked in with several small plastic bags at hand

I drew back my hand with a surprised yelp.

"Geez! Why did you have to buy so much? It's not like she's going to stay with you anyway?" Kyou-kun muttered as he dumped his bags on the table

"Well, Tooru-kun isn't my only guest. I wouldn't have bought too much, if you weren't such a bottomless pit," Kagura-san replied smugly as she started to take out several cans out of her bags, "Anou... I don't know what you like for breakfast Tooru-kun, so I just picked up some hot tea and bread from the store. You could get a proper breakfast when we get to the cafe."

"Y-yes...ah... thank you..."

"I AM NOT A BOTTOMLESS PIT!" Kyou-kun, who was at the middle of opening the loaf of bread, glared at Kagura-san, visibly bristling with annoyance

"Hai, hai, whatever you say, my honey," Kagura-san said almost with exaggerated patience as she patted Kyou-kun's head with a soft giggle

"GODDAMMIT WOMAN! STOP DOING THAT!" Kyou-kun growled as he swatted Kagura-san's hand away with one hand before biting into the slice of bread in his other hand

"Huaaa!!! The dress fit perfectly! You look very nice in it, Tooru-kun!" Kagura-san exclaimed as she finally looked at me properly, "Tooru-kun's very pretty in that dress, don't you think so, Kyou-kun?"

Kyou-kun simply threw a glance at me, shrugged his shoulders and muttered something unintelligible through his bread.

Without missing a beat, Kagura-san whapped Kyou-kun at the back of the head, intimidating dark aura flaring around her, "THAT IS NOT THE PROPER WAY TO COMPLIMENT A LADY!!!!"

All at ounce, Kyou-kun doubled over from the action and desperately clutched his throat.

"K-kyou-kun!" GAH! Kyou-kun's choking! Waaaah! What do I do? What can I do?

"KYAAA!!!! KYOU-KUN! I'LL SAVE YOU!!!" Kagura-san cried out in horror as she gave Kyou-kun another mighty whap on the back

Kyou-kun coughed up the piece of bread lodged in his throat before collapsing on the floor. But not before pointing an accusing finger at our direction, with an angry gasp, "...women... will cause the end of the world..."

"Heh-heh, my magic hands still got it!" Kagura-san grinned, ignoring the fallen, half-conscious boy on the floor. She proudly mimicked a gun with her fingers and winked at me with a cute pose, before switching to a more serious expression. Probably after seeing the shocked look on my face. "Don't worry so much Tooru-kun. Even if I didn't do that, there's no way Kyou-kun is going to get seriously hurt. That's one of the perks of being 'undead'. So might as well have fun with it."

I let out a nervous laugh as beads of sweat started to run from my forehead. I suppose she was right. Though, seeing Kyou-kun sprawled on the floor after all the abuse he endured... not just from Kagura right now, but from me as well just this morning, I really couldn't blame him for being mad at us. Kyou-kun really does have it rough, doesn't he. Well... I guess at least he's no longer choking... AH! Speaking of which! "Yuki-san!"

"Heh? Is he still in there?" Kagura-san frowned, concern lacing her features,"I told him to stop doing this. It just keeps getting worse each time."

Getting worse? The "undead' may be... well... undead! But that look on Kagura-san's face can't possibly be good. "Anou... Kagura-san? What exactly is going on with Yuki-san? Is he going to be okay?"

"Ha?" The other girl blinked, "We'll, of course he's going to be fine. He probably just got something inside his lung."

"Eh!?!"

"You know, like little pieces of shrapnel and stuff."

"EH!?!?!"

"Pshaw! That happens more than you think. Sometimes when you get involved with projectile-related deaths or explosions, stuff can get lodged in your body and open wounds heal over it. It just started bothering Yun-chan this morning when started moving about. He'll be fine after he coughs it out. Actually, he's very lucky its in his lung. I know someone who had this case involving a nail gun and ended up with a nail in his rear end and it was literally a pain in the a..."

"Kagura-san... about Yuki-san? What exactly is getting worse?"

Kagura-san simply shook her head, "It's really something that's not in my place to discuss. All I can say is that whenever Yun-chan does this, something bad always happens to him."

From her tone, I would assume that was all she would say about the subject matter.

"HAAAAAH! I've had enough of this. If we don't get a move on, we'll be late for briefing and Hatori will never let us hear the end of it!" Kagura-san stretched her arms and cracked her knuckles before, making her move to open the door and enter the washroom, "Tooru-kun, go help yourself to anything you want on the table, and leave Yun-chan to me."

And from her tone... and actions... I would assume THAT was all that's needed to be said and done about THAT subject matter. I slowly inched away as apparent sounds of a struggle started to emit from inside. This whole thing is very very strange! I sat down beside Kyou-kun, who happened to be just regaining his senses, "Anou... Kyou-kun... about this morning..."

"Don't worry, I'm used to it," Kyou-kun interrupted non-chalantly, before letting a satisfied smirk to make its way to his lips as Kagura's yelling echoed clearly from the washroom, "It's a small price to pay just to witness him trod in my shoes for once."

"...trod in your shoes..." I echoed his words absently

All at once, the reality of my current existence finally dawned to me. I was like Kyou-kun and Kagura-san and Yuki-san now... a Shinigami... an "undead". No matter how badly I get hurt, I'll never die. I'll probably never get sick... and based from what Kagura-san said earlier, my new body probably won't even allow me to get drunk! And once again, I was stuck by the irony of my situation. That is, how something I used to consider as very precious when I was alive, was now something that I can take for granted.

End of Part 3

To be continued…

~~@~~

AUTHOR'S SQUAWK:

Well, this chapter was kinda slow. Thanks to everyone who reviewed and thanks for your encouragement. I've had people rooting for Yukiru and Kyouru pairings in this storyline. I'm actually very happy and quite flattered that you're quite taken by the story to the point that you guys want to feel involved! ^_^. All I can say, at this point... is that there are no real pairings in this fic. But whether it will sway towards which pairing direction, I, myself, don't know. I just have the main storyline plotted and the side stories come to me as I write. But as early as now, I hope that people don't get disappointed when the story doesn't go the way they prefer. Because it's really sad when you feel that if the story gets ruined if it doesn't go towards the pairing you like... since this particular story doesn't revolve around any pairing in the first place! ^_^.

On a tangental, totally non-related note... I wrote this chapter listening to a new J-Rock band (well, they're new to me, at least. ^_^.) that I just totally fell in love with! "Kagrra" (heh-heh... not looking at Gura-chan's name the same way, after this). I stumbled upon them when I was looking for "Psycho le Cemu" music. I heard good stuff about them too... but I can't find their music to hear them from anywhere at all!!! As for Kagrra, they're an awesome band and I love their style! I haven't seen their pictures yet, but I'm assuming that they're a visual band as well. If anyone has information about them, let me know. ^_^.

I think I'll feature them in my webcast radio show sometime this month. Not tomorrow though, because tomorrow's feature artist will be one of the J-POP divas of the 90's... Namie Amuro. Please listen to J-MIX! It's every Mondays 5:00-6:30 PM only on www.mediatalks.com (just click on the "go live" button).

Anywayz, going back to fanfic writing... Comments and criticisms to ina_chan@yahoo.com

Ja!
Ina-chan