Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Between the Sohmas or Life as Someone Else ❯ Memories of a Honda ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I no own Fruits Basket. Thank you for understanding my pitiful situation.

Chapter Seven:

Memories of the Hondas

Tohru looked down at the cat in her arms and stroked it, her words still ringing in their ears.

"Tohru. . . You are kind to say such, but no one even knows the reason for our curse. It has been so for as long as we remember." Yuki whispered.

Kyo enjoyed her soft hands on his fur, but remained in silence. "It's impossible."

Haru closed his eyes, and fervently wished she could break the curse, as well as the pain that had been attached to it. But. . . "Alas, it is impossible." He said. "Many have tried, and all have failed."

Tohru took a deep breath. "I- We," She began, the three going silent, and listening to her soft, yet strong, voice. "Akai and I, we have so many secrets to tell. Far more than yours. And my mother- she hadn't even told us all of it, but was slain when I was old enough to understand." At the collective gasp, she closed her eyes, and held Kyo closer to her chest, the cat nuzzled her cheek.

"My mother was suspected of witchcraft, long before I came into this world. Yet, she managed to marry the man she fell in love with. My father. The two have struggled endlessly with other people, and something. . .not from this world, let's say. They finally ran away, here. To this town. My mother was soon pregnant with me, and my father had opened up the tavern that my mother named The Hot Onigiri.

"When I was born, strange things began to happen. When I fell, or scratched myself, I would heal faster than most of the leeches believed I would for a youth. And I became sick so often, they thought I wouldn't last the year. I was six years old when my sister was born. Six, weak, sick, and yet, I was healthier than any of the other children.

"When Akai was born, strange things began to occur for her as well. She was crying in pain, more often then not, and even then, she was sleeping fitful sleep that no one thought she would live out the year. Then, I. . I. . .I touched her." Tohru stopped, and glanced around at the three boys, entranced at her storytelling. "I touched her with the desire to see her live. I wanted whatever to ail her to go away.

"And it did. Her pains were gone for a few years, until mother began to teach her how to build walls around herself. It was when she was five, able to protect herself, that we discovered another talent. She could shoot fire from her hands, and that she was one with the fires of the earth.

"That was when father died. He was murdered in the streets one day while coming back to his family. Akai was the one who felt him die. She screamed for days on end afterward, my mother and I feared for her and I was ordered to take her pain away. Let me tell you, her life was far more damaging than my own."

"But where does that whole 'dressing as boys' come from?" Yuki asked curiously.

"We always have." She replied. "Ever since I could remember, my mother has always dressed me in boys clothes, and told me I was a boy. She told me and Akai, we were boys. Until I was six, then she informed me I was really a girl. The dressing as males was a protection. . . She could sense an early death." Tohru's eyes watered up. "She taught us to always-always!- look to the mother earth, if there was anything we needed. She taught us to hunt, cook, clean, and protect what we love. Akai always sacrificed herself, even if it meant hurting me to protect me, she used her strength to do it.

"I guess that's why she broke down when she felt mothers death too." Tohru's tears fell as she remembered that day.

*Flashback*~-~-~

The sky was darkening, as if it were an omen. Tohru, twelve year old Tohru with her hair in a queue, and a hat on her head with hands in her pockets, was strutting around the town with a piece of long grass poking out of the side of her mouth. Dirt covered her face, and her ocean eyes glared at any boy who dared disturb the precious little boy that held her hands.

Tohru realized what she and her sister must look like, two boys walking through the two on an errand for their mother. Akai was barely at Tohru's waist, since she had suddenly had a growth spurt. Akai's fiery locks were more brown than red, and danced around her shoulders. One short pudgy arm reached up to clasp Tohru's strong hand, which was rough with calluses and scars. Her lavender eyes were filled with tears as it coursed down her face.

"Niisan," Akai whispered. "It hurts."

Tohru leaned down to Akai. "Where does it hurt my little brother?"

Akai clutched at her stomach, where moments before, one of the town bullies had kicked her to the floor, after which, Tohru personally kicked that stupid boys ass.

"It's alright," Tohru said, holding her sister near before whispering, "Don't let them see you cry. They can't see your tears."

Akai nodded before pulling her head up high, and walking ahead of her sister.

Tohru smiled with pride, and spit out the long grass which had long lost it's taste in her mouth.

"Oi!" She heard the familiar call of a rare friend, and turned around.

Tohru and Akai met the faces of Arisa Uotani, and Saki Hanajima, and waved. The young blonde girl was wearing her breeches and shirt, a belted sword at her waist, and the dark haired one wore a cape of black, lined with red.

When the two parties met, there was hugging, patting, and rounds of joy. "So," Arisa started. "I hear you got into a fight again."

"Darkening clouds brew over head of the one who's heart is not really their own, but everyone else's as well," Saki murmured. "Yes, a dark cloud hangs above the angels tonight, for the angels weep with the loss of a dear soul." She glanced up sharply at the Honda 'brothers'. "We must hurry."

Saki grabbed a hold of Tohru's hand before Arisa, strong and mighty Arisa, gently picked up Akai, making sure not to hurt her in any way.

Saki led them to their tavern and the closer they got, Akai suddenly began to get more insane, releasing screams of pain, and writhing wildly in Arisa's tight hold. "Tohru!" Arisa cried out in fear, just as thunder rumbled in the distance. "What's the matter with her!"

Tohru couldn't answer her just yet for Saki demanded her attention when she too, screamed in fear. "I feel it! It's an evil presence!"

Tohru felt the cold rain fall, just as Akai screamed her last, and final scream as she collapsed into an open eyed, panting, exhaustion. Saki looked up, and covered her face with her hands. "We are too late!" Saki cried out, falling to her knees. "I was too late!"

Tohru felt the panic as it pulsed around her, enveloping her in it's suffocating grasp. She reached for Akai as the little girl pulled her. Her sobs shook her body in a torrent of pain and anguish.

That was when a black cloud surrounded Akai. It started over her chest, then wrapped around her as effectively as a blanket. Tohru cried out as Akai's voice rang in her head. It was a pain like no other that made her head spin out of control as Tohru held her sister. She held tighter to her, and felt something swell within her. She didn't know what it was, but it covered the darkness, and chased it away.

Akai was panting slowly, her small chest heaving as Tohru's heart ached for her beloved sister. "Akai. . "

"Mum. . ?" She said hoarsely. "Okaasan?" She opened her eyes and saw Tohru, a tear fell down her cheek.

Tohru carried her sister to where Saki lead as she spoke with Arisa in hushed tones. Akai snuggled into her sisters wet clothes as the rain continued to fall. Lightning flashed for an instant, and Akai saw her sister as her hair blew about in the wind, her eyes a bright eerie blue as a determined look settled on her face.

When Tohru reached the destination, there was a crowd of bodies. They were faceless villagers who eyed out the two 'boys' as they walked over to them. Many had pity in their eyes, others emanated the feeling. They parted as Saki and Arisa moved to either side, both had seen what lay in the center, and both had tears in their eyes.

Tohru felt her whole body freeze. It wasn't from the pouring rain, it wasn't from the gusty winds. The feeling of ice settled within her because within the circle of people lay her mothers decapitated body.

Kyoko Honda had been ripped into six pieces, her arms, her legs, her body, and her head lay within a pool of earth, blood, and rain as firelight surrounded her body and winds blew her lifeless hair around her head.

Tohru remembered hearing an unearthly cry for vengeance before she felt herself crumple to floor like a used paper doll.

~-~-~*End Flashback*

Tohru felt the tears cascading down her face and hastily wiped them away as Kyo nuzzled her neck, Yuki placing his hand on hers, and Haru holding onto her shirt.

The three brothers leant their hearts to her, and gave her the strength to continue.

"My sister and I have dressed more like boys after. We tried to get rid of our memories, yet somehow we had the strength to continue life. Saki Hanajima and Arisa Uotani have been our best friends before our mothers death. We really don't know anything else. The reason for your curse, or ours."

"Yes!" Yuki said gripping her hand. "Your curse! What is it?"

Tohru blinked, and looked away.

"The curse of the Honda's is called, Zahra."

~~~****~~~~~

"My name is Inferius." The red headed man introduced himself, once he was dressed in appropriate clothing. "I am Akai and Tohru Honda's uncle."

Shigure, Ayame, and Hatori introduced themselves, a little skeptical of the fact that the red haired man was their uncle, even if he looked like Akai.

Hatori voiced his opinion. "I apologize, but I find that it is rather hard to believe you are their uncle, especially when you show up just now. Why not before?"

Inferius sighed. "I admit, I knew what was happening to my nieces, it's just that. . .I don't see everything I should see. I don't know what I should know. And I thought they were doing well for themselves."

"Yet did you know they were in hiding as boys?" Hatori pressed.

"Yes."

"Then would that not rouse any suspicions on why they were behaving such way? Why did you not take guardianship of them?" Hatori demanded.

"It's not so easy as that!" Inferius hissed. "I cannot just come around whenever I feel like it. There has to be a drive, a need."

"They needed you!" Shigure said quietly.

"I know." Inferius whispered. "But, they did not need protection from one such as myself."

"And who are you to say whether or not they are worthy enough for your help?" Hatori said.

Inferius looked up, and locked eyes with Hatori. "I am the Angel of Memory, Inferius, brother of the Angel of Mind, Darius who is the father of Tohru and Akai Honda."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Sorry with the cliffy! Another update next week, okay? Please stay with me, and thank you for those who have. Please, Read and Review, okay! THANK YOU!!!!