Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Broken ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
Tohru was out of it, to say the least, in school the next day.
 
She had spent most of the night either crying or trying to figure out what it was that had suddenly made Yuki detest her so much, or doing both. Because of the, she had lacked in sleep, something which always brought her spirits down, though only a tiny bit. But, the break-up was still on her mind, and her heart still ached every time she remembered that she and Yuki weren't together anymore, every time she recalled the cruel words he had said to her the night before.
 
She couldn't pay attention during class, no matter how hard she tried. Her mind kept drifting off to Yuki, and then she'd feel as though she would cry. She refused to, though; she would not cry in school, she would not cry here, in front of him. Tohru was ashamed of herself for openly bursting into tears when he had spoken with her; her mother wouldn't have, would she?
 
She barely spoke a word at breakfast that morning, making the food automatically without her usual chipper ways. Yuki had skipped out on breakfast, had left early. It hurt her that he would do that, but at least it had saved her from an awkward moment that was almost doomed to happen if they were in the same room together, being so close. Shigure and Kyo had noted her changed behavior, had noticed Yuki's. Neither said anything at breakfast, but as she walked to school, Kyo asked if she had had a fight with Yuki. He quickly told her she didn't have to answer when she started to whimper, tears swelling in her eyes. The topic wasn't brought up again.
 
School was a blur. Her mind was back on the lawn with Yuki, her eyes blurred with tears she refused to let fall. All her actions were slowed, everyone else seemed to be moving fast. She didn't look at Yuki at all during class, didn't trust herself to be able to look at him without bawling.
 
When the bell rang for lunch, she slowly and systematically stood up and walked to the door, careful to keep her head down in case her eyes were to meet Yuki's.
 
“Hey, Tohru!”
 
She turned around at the sound of Uo's voice. Uo and Hana were walking over to her.
 
“Tohru, are you okay?” Uo asked, concern in her voice.
 
“Your signals have been so full of complete sadness and distress,” Hana said. “I've felt as though I would cry. What's caused you to feel like this?”
 
Tohru bit her lip. She didn't want to lay her troubles on her friends, and such petty troubles too. There were far worse things happening than her first break-up.
 
“Hey, have you and the Prince gotten in a fight? He's been acting kind of weird today, too.”
 
She squeezed her eyes shut, sniffling. She didn't want to think of him, didn't want to be reminded of him at all.
 
Uo's hand fell on her shoulder. “Tohru?”
 
Her chin quivered, and the tears broke loose. “He-he broke- he broke up with m-me….”
 
She could almost see her two friends' exchange of glances before she felt two pairs of arms wrap around her, hugging her. “Oh, Tohru….”
 
 
XxXxXxXxXXxX
 
Yuki avoided Tohru as best as he could that day. He purposely woke himself up early so he could leave the house before Tohru even had breakfast made. To see her now, he was sure it would break his heart. He knew Tohru was able to pick herself up quickly when things got bad, but he'd never seen her cry like she had the night before.
 
He almost wished he had told her the truth, that Akito wouldn't allow him to stay with her. Anything, just to make her happy again, to make her smile. But, she'd still want him if he had, and he couldn't have that. If he knew she still had feelings for him, there'd be too much of a temptation to return to her. This way, he knew she'd never want him back, because of how badly he hurt her. Right now, it would hurt, it would hurt for the both of them. But, in the long run, after the tension from their break-up disappeared, it would be okay, because she wouldn't be hurt.
 
At school, he wouldn't look at her, didn't want to see her face. He knew she was crushed, and he just wouldn't be able to handle seeing that right now. Not so soon. When the bell rang for lunch, Yuki was among the first to leave the room, quick to get away from her.
 
He didn't head to the cafeteria. Instead, he wandered outside, out where it was quiet, where he could think of what to do now. She was safe now, but…how would they live together now? The house wasn't that big; he couldn't avoid her forever, and he really did want to see her, sometime. She provided such a source of lightness in his life; he was sure he couldn't survive without her around. Everyone in the Sohma family was serious; even Momiji and Shigure were, under their playful mask. It was just part of the curse. How could someone who was forced to be distanced from half the world be light-hearted, be happy? It just wasn't possible, and Akito seemed to be on a mission to make sure that there was no source of happiness in any of their lives.
 
Yuki sighed, shaking his head as he leaned against the wall of the building. He didn't want this to be happening, didn't think he could handle it. He was breaking around the edges, losing his usual cool. He had been cold today, cold to everyone. Many girls greeted him in the hall; he ignored every one of them. He let his head bow down. He really needed to get it together.
 
“Oy, rat-boy.”
 
He looked up; it was Kyo of course, standing in front of him with his usual sour-puss look.
 
“What do you want?” Yuki asked.
 
“What did you say to Tohru?”
 
Yuki blinked. Did it get around all ready, that they had broken up? “W-what?”
 
“Look, she was acting upset this morning and I asked if you two had a fight, and she nearly started bawling,” Kyo spat. “She's been moping all day; what did you say to her?”
 
“What does it matter? That's between Tohru and I.”
 
Kyo looked a bit flustered. “I hate it when she mopes! Just-just apologize, or something.”
 
“What goes on in my relationship with Tohru is none of your business.” He didn't want to admit he'd broken up with her. Once he did that, it would be true. He knew that no matter what, whether he told anyone or not, they were no longer together, but…it seemed less real if no one knew about it.
 
Kyo's eyes widened, then narrowed. “If you hurt her-”
 
“I'd never hurt Tohru, you stupid cat!” Yuki snapped, straightening up. “I never laid a hand on her! W-why would you think I did?”
 
“I don't know; she's crying, you're avoiding her and refusing to go apologize-”
 
“Just stay out of this,” Yuki said, calming down and walking back inside. “This has nothing to do with you.”
 
He quickly walked inside, far too ready for the school day to be over.