Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Can I sleep with you tonight? ❯ Main House Blunder ( Chapter 9 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Fruits Basket or any characters associated with the anime/manga. Although I do own all four Dvds wah The anime was good but it was never finished :'( wah
Author's Note: I just realized that all of these chapters were not posted on MM… sorry to all who were waiting for this.
Onto the chapter
Chapter 9 : Main house blunder
Arriving at the main house within the hour, he looked around searching for any sign of life. He didn't usually come here unless he was summoned, so he had no clue where everyone was at this time of day.
As he continued to walk around, he remembered the years he had been forced to live here, in this huge, cold mansion that many Sohmas' called home. He still remembered the day when he had been told he would be moving in with Shigure What he had expected to find was another place where Akito reigned on high and fun was not permitted.
Shigure had answered the door, dressed in his usual attire of a dark yukata and tabi socks. Back then he had looked so tall, but then he had only been ten years old at the most, and in his eyes he was sure that this house would be no different from that of the main house, another house filled with secrets and painful things all centered around Akito.
But when Shigure's face had broken out into an almost entirely-too-happy smile, he knew that this place would be different. As the years had passed, although the painful memories still haunted him, he had begun to forget about ever being forced to live in that lifeless cold place. And when Tohru had come, Shigure's house had suddenly become a home, where they were all one big happy family, with the emphasis on the word happy. Even with Kyou there.
Chuckling to himself lightly, he padded down the corridor toward Hatori's study, hoping he would find him there. But then again, although he didn't really acknowledge it, he didn't want him to be there. Then he could go home and tell Tohru that he had tried but Hatori had simply not been in; and all in all it would give him more time to think out what he would say.
But as luck would have it, among tubes of unknown substances and scattered papers, there he was, perched over a pile of those papers, no doubt oblivious to his presence.
"Hatori-san," Yuki said after clearing his throat for what seemed like the twentieth time.
Suddenly, there was no turning back, no way to simply leave and find out if the curse would inflict itself upon his child at some other time. And for one of the rare moments in his life, save for when he was around Akito, he was scared and felt faint.
--
Turning his head he saw a very pale Yuki, paler than he had seen him in years.
Yuki had always been a sickly boy. When he was born he had had troubles breathing and had been diagnosed to die within the week. But, luckily he had made it through, although in the course of said week his mother had become very distant.
She had been 'blessed', as some would say, with two children in the zodiac; the snake and now the rat. And it was more than she could handle. They had hoped that this child would be born curse-free and that they could live a normal life but once again she had been dealt the wrong cards and would be forced to stay on the low end of the family because of her cursed children.
In the years that had followed, Yuki had been given to Akito, as a type of payment to move up the family ladder. This, although only speculation, had made his breathing problems worsen and on many occasions he had been near death.
"You should just die. No one loves you, not even your own mother. You can be replaced easy enough, so just die already so Hatori can tend to me and not have to spend his whole day looking after you," he remembered an eight year old Akito saying to Yuki one morning as he had come to check on the boy.
He had been stark white, eyes vacant, as if he had no will to live. And now as he stood staring at the nearly adult form of the boy he had once cared for, he couldn't help but compare the little frail boy of yesterday to him.
"Yuki, daijobou desu ka?" he said, rushing to his side fearful he may blackout right then and there.
"Hai, I'm fine." he managed to choke out; all other energy expended to keep himself upright.
"You should sit down," Hatori said bringing a chair near the doorway, motioning Yuki to sit in it.
"Hatori, I said I was fine," he snapped, dropping the usual honorary, his voice wavering as he tried to muster all the resolve he could.
"Hai... hai," Hatori mumbled as he turned away from him, not really even having heard what he had responded to. Grabbing what had was looking for he turned back toward Yuki.
"Hatori-san I c," Yuki began, but was abruptly silenced when Hatori shoved a spoonful of an awful concoction of what seemed to be garlic and raspberries into his mouth.
"There that should do it," he stated, as he washed off the spoon in the sink near the window, "I use it on Akito-sama quite often. I've found that it cures many things...and oddly enough Akito-sama seems to have taken a liking to it."
"Hai..." he said, staring down at his hands. A feeling of warmth spread through his body, as the liquid he just swallowed slid down his throat and seemed to settle in his toes, if that was possible.
"Hatori-san?"
"Hai, Yuki-san, you should have come earlier. Your bronchi seems to be acting up again. You need to be more conscious of your health. I would never imagine that Shigure would allow your health to deteriorate so. Maybe it is about time you consider moving back to the main house. I must call Shigure tonight and talk to him about this," Hatori rambled on and on, Yuki having blocked out what he was saying long before.
'Kami-sama, why does this have to be so hard? I just came here to ask a simple question' he asked himself, unsure if he would be able to ask without screwing it up somehow.
"So... why is Yuki-san here? Shouldn't you be in school?" Hatori asked, interrupting his thoughts, apparently finished with the rambling on of how Yuki's health was somehow in part, if not fully, the fault of Shigure.
"Uhh... Hai!" he squeaked, his voice nearly matching that of his zodiac counterpart, "I... I just came here because Tohru-chan isn't feeling well. We figured that you may have something to help."
Taken aback for a moment, Hatori stared at the boy that sat before him in wonderment for a moment. 'When did he get so bold as to call Honda-san "Tohru-chan"?' he wondered.
After the momentary silence, the wheels in his head seemed to kick in. Realizing fully what Yuki had said, he asked in a monotone voice, showing no sign of his earlier surprise.
"Doushita no? Does she have a cold?" he asked, now once again rummaging through random things on a shelf near the back wall.
'If only...' he thought to himself before answering, “No... she has had an upset stomach for a week now. She didn't want us to worry but Shigure suggested we seek Hatori-san's expertise in this matter."
"Hai," he stated matter-of-factly, "Honda-san has been this way for over a week now?"
"Hai."
"Is there anything that could have caused her to become ill? Did she eat anything out of the ordinary? Maybe...do something strenuous?"
"Da...dame," he stuttered, "I don't believe so."
"Hai," he muttered, not quite positive of the cause of her sickness, but deciding upon a medicine for stomach flu for the time being.
Continuing his search for it among the piles of papers and boxes and more papers and boxes proved unsuccessful so he began to search the remaining cabinets. Bending down toward yet another one, he heard a voice call out to him.
"Hatori-san?"
"Hai," he called back, his voice now muffled, with his face inside the cabinet.
Figuring now as good of a chance he would get; seeing as Hatori was distracted at the moment, he continued.
"I was wondering... have any of the members of the zodiac ever had children?"
"Kazuma-san's grandfather was part of the curse. Although he was only the cat."
"Was his son part of the zodiac as well?"
"Dame. As you know only a select random few are chosen to be part of the curse. Why do you ask?"
"No reason really," he nonchalantly stated, quite proud of himself. He was pulling this off quite nicely if he did say so himself, "Tohru and I were just wondering."
"And why would that be?" Hatori asked, popping his head out from under the sink, now intrigued at where this was going; his face now smudged with dirt, some weird green goop hanging from his hair.
Trying hard not to laugh at the site of his elder cousin in such a state of disarray, he answered plainly, "We were talking about our child and" he said, stopping in mid-sentence, not believing what he had just said.
There, now he had gone and done it. He had really stuck his foot in his mouth this time. Had he really let his guard down so much that he had actually said "our child"? He could only hope Hatori hadn't noticed.
But he had, and as he allowed what Yuki had just said play through his mind once again, everything clicked.
"She's pregnant isn't she?" he blatantly asked, deciding not to beat around the bush.
"Da..dame. Wh...what makes you think that?" he stuttered, unable to think anymore.
"Yuki," he nearly yelled. Needing to get a straight answer, he asked again, "Is she with child?"
He stared at a particularly worn spot on the floor, unable to even look his cousin in the eye, for he knew now everything would not be ok as he had reassured Tohru the night prior. Akito would find out and would take the baby to be used as his play thing; just as it's father had been used as when he was little. Then he would probably erase Tohru's memories and his life would be left once again, empty and meaningless.
Finally answering, he managed to squeak out, "Hai."
"I must see her. Bring Honda-san to the main house tomorrow," Hatori unexpectedly announced.
"Nando?" Yuki asked suspiciously, afraid of now even staying for much longer himself.
"Don't worry. I will not be telling Akito anytime soon. You have my word on that. I just need to examine her, seeing as I will be her doctor from now on."
"But who said you were her," he began to ask, before being cut short by Hatori.
"Do you think that it would be wise to allow some other doctor to attend to her? What if your child is inflicted with the curse? There has never been a true zodiac member to have a child before so we do not know the consequences of such actions," he said, fully explaining the situation at hand to him.
His head was reeling, stomach doing summersaults, and heart beating like it felt like jumping out of his chest onto that table beside him right then and there. There was a chance that their child; his child, would be inflicted with the same curse as he had been cursed with until recently. And now there was an even greater chance of Akito finding out about everything and punishing all involved, including the unborn child.
"So now you understand. I must see her immediately to examine her. Now, I believe you should be leaving. Just incase Akito feels the need to stop by my office for one of his unannounced visits."
Looking up from the spot on the floor he had been staring at for quite sometime, he looked at Hatori, nodding his head in silent agreement.
"Tomorrow afternoon," Hatori said as he walked him to the front gate.
"Hai, ashita."
And with that Yuki left the main house, his mission complete. He had in fact found out if there was a chance their child would be born with the curse, but in the mean time had also inadvertently revealed a secret that could possibly ruin his life and the lives of the many people around him.
As he looked back at the house of his childhood, he couldn't, for some reason, not say to no one in particular, "I told her I would mess it up."
--
Dictionary :
Arigatou : Thank you
Arigatou Gozaimasu : Thank you very much
Nani : What
Konbanwa : Good Evening
Dame : No
Sensei : Teacher
Nyo : Huh?
Nushi : Master
Doo itashimashite : You're welcome
Hai : Yes, Okay
Matte : Wait
Ototou-kun : Little brother
Ashita : Tomorrow
Nezumi : Rat
Baka : Idiot, Stupid
Neko : Cat
Inu : Dog
Kami-sama : God
Gomen : Sorry
Daijobou : Are you ok?
Okaa-san : Mom
Ja ne: See you later
Aishiteru : I love you
Mattaku no Baka : Damned Fool
Imouto-san : Little Sister
Nani : What
Ojisan : Uncle
Aniki-kun : Older Brother
Hentai : Pervert
Chibi : Little
Doushita no: What's wrong?
Ohayo : Good Morning
Doki : Sound of a Heartbeat
Ne : Right
Irowa towa kankei ga nai sore : I have nothing to do with that
Nakayoshi : Friendship
Chikosho : Damn
Koi : Lover, Honey, Darling
Kare wa doko ni minna : Where is everyone?
Kangei ie : Welcome home
Tadaima : I'm home
Demo : But
Shiawase na tanjobi : Happy Birthday
Doyatte : How
Zutto : Always/Forever
Onigiri : Rice Ball
Kuso : Shit , Damn
Omedeto : Congratulations
Shiawase wa watashii : I'm happy
Honto ni : Really
Kawaii : Cute
Nando : Why
--
AN : Was it worth the wait? I hope so. Once again thanks for continued patronage and as always R&R. Ja ne minna-san.