Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Death In Name Only ❯ Death in name only ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer-I don't own Fruits Baskets

Death in Name Only-

The sun shone down through the small, square window, the metal bars casting shadows on the dark figure seated by it. His hair, hung down into his face, shadowing his eyes. He had lost track of the time that had passed since he was first put into his cage.

He watched as the young sohma children played in front of his confinement, a ghost of a smile on his lips. The children loved to play in front of his prison and tease him but he didn't mind. It wasn't their fault. It was the way they were raised and taught. He would just smile sadly at them through the bars. Soon the children ran home, it was getting close to dinner time, and he was left alone once more.

The sun set and the moon rose full in the sky and he made no move. It was funny how being alone changed a person. How easily you lost hope. How quickly everything began to become dull and meaningless.

He never thought-but here he was.

It had come as a total surprise. It had happened so quickly...

This was the last chance for him. They both knew it. It would happen today...

The look of utter shock and confusion on their classmates faces would have been amusing if things hadn't been so serious.

He was on the floor. There. That was it. It was over.

But it wasn't over. He got back up. Fear of the unknown evident in his eyes.

Now he was on the floor and he couldn't get back up.

He had lost. Obviously.

And where was everyone else? Out there. Living. With families to care for and to care for them. And he was here. Alone.

At first, they came by, pity in their eyes, words of comfort on their tongues.

He ignored them. He didn't want their pity. He didn't want their words of sympathy. Neither could help him.

But now, he wished for their words of pity and false hope. Nobody came by anymore, not even Tohru, whom he had loved with all his heart. It was like he had died. Everyone visits a person's grave right after they die, but as time goes by, they start to forget.

Only Hatori visited him and only because he had to. He was his doctor and came every month to give him his check-up. The visits were silent and Hatori left as soon as he was finished. He had a family to get back to after all.

There wasn't a day that didn't go by when he didn't think of just ending it. Just slitting his wrists and getting it over with. And he had tried, but unfortunately he attempted at the beginning of his imprisonment, back when his 'death' was still fresh and Kagura had come by and found him. After that they took away anything that had the potential of being a suicide weapon.

But it didn't matter anymore. He wouldn't kill himself, even if he had the means. The fact that if he died, then some other poor soul would be forced to live with this curse, stayed his hand. As much as he hated living, he didn't think he could go to the next life with that on his conscious.

The crunch of grass being broken underfoot breaks him out of his thoughts. His gaze focuses on a shadowed figure standing in front of his window.

"Hey," the voice is intantly recognizable. He turns away from the window. This is the last person he wanted to visit him. A sigh, "Listen, I know you probably don't want to see me..."

He scoffs, "Probably?" His voice sounds weird to his ears. It has been so long since he's used it.

A soft, mirthless laugh drifts to his ears. "Tohru wanted to come herself, but she couldn't."

At the mention of her name, he can't help but turn around to face him. "Why not?" He asks, his voice, threaded with fear and doubt. Why couldn't she come herself? Was she hurt? Did she not want to see him?

"She's in the hospital."

"What?" he exclaims, jumping up from his perch. He clutched the window sill for support. He had been in the same position for so long that the sudden movement made him dizzy.

More laughter, but this time, humorous. "She's ok. She just gave birth. She wanted to come tell you, but I told her I'd do it."

"Oh," he said, sitting back down.

A small chuckle. "Yeah, it's a boy."

"Ok," he doesn't know what else to say. Should he congratulate him for marrying the one he loved?

"Tohru wanted to name him after you."

"And what did you want?" Uncontrolled spite laced in every word.

"I wanted the same thing."

"Why? Did you think it would make things better? Did you think that I'd forgive you if you named your child after me? Do you think I care that you and that bitch had a child together?!" The words came flying out. "Well, I don't! It doesn't change anything! I hope it's cursed! I hope it cursed with the same goddamn bad luck that I was cursed with!! I hope it dies! And I hope she dies!! And I hope you end up alone like me!" He is standing up now, his hands clencing the bars so tight that his knuckles are white. His shoved against the bars, as he spat each word out.

He didn't mean it. At least, not anymore. He sat back down and turned his back on the window.

"I'm sorry you feel that way...I just wanted to say, that I'm sorry...Yuki..."

-:-:-End-:-:-