Fruits Basket Fan Fiction ❯ Don't Forget Me ❯ Definition ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A/N: Hey everyone, thank you so much for you're totally encouraging and great reviews!!! Very much appreciated!!
 
Disclaimer: Reminder, I love Fruits Basket….just enough to own it but no, I do not own it because it already belongs to a very talented and lucky manga artist Natsuki Takaya!…so end of story.
 
Chapter 7: Definition
 
The major shock that left Risa Yoshida awkward, after Kenji's long explanation had just resulted in a more quiet atmosphere, it seemed like there was a barrier between Risa and her son…after all Karina seemed like her daughter even if she wasn't, so it was pretty strange having Kenji have a strong bond with Karina, well to Risa anyway. Kenji had admitted to his mother that he had a crush for Karina for quite a long time. The swift seconds that passed by every single day just made him think of memories…after the first time he spoke to Karina which was at the picnic tables outside the cafeteria, when he was defending her from a `bully'. But the second time was the actual moment when sparks started to fly…especially the first time when Kenji sort of realised his secret admiration for his newest friend Karina.
 
Flashback
 
It was during an arts lesson, one of Kenji's best subjects, they were painting self-designed sculptures made out of various materials. Mostly every girl in their year had joined it to catch a frequent glance at Kenji, and if they were brave enough, they would ask him for help…purposely just to get more attention…basically every single girl except Karina who had decided to ditch art and do athletics, a different subject that involved Kenji but less screaming girls.
 
“Hey Karina! What's up? Oh my god! You're not doing Art? How could you? Kenji's doing it!!! Don't you know that?” One of the girly chicks came up to Karina and took a glimpse at her school timetable while gasping.
 
“I know...” She replied in a boring voice. “He is my best friend; don't you think I've got the basic idea of what he's doing this semester?”
 
“But seriously, don't you just want to gaze at him for the whole lesson?”
 
“Uhh…no…why would I do that?” Karina looked at her with a weird expression while Kenji who just managed to pass the corner just decided to listen to their conversation. He had his back to them and he was behind a locker so they couldn't see them.
 
“What's wrong with you? He's the most popular guy in the school, he's hot and what's more, he's good at art!!!” The girl exclaimed while dozing into her own fantasy and left Karina looking at her watch, obviously hating this conversation.
 
I know he's really cute and handsome but you girls just think about looks and reputation, well don't you think about other things like…for example he's my best friend..”
 
“Lucky you.” She muttered.
 
“And…he has a great sense of humour, he can read my mind and he's really considerate…to tell the truth, I didn't even focus on his good looks when I first met him and that was when he helped me out with that freak guy who steals lunch.” Karina continued.
 
“Uhh…whatever, I don't understand, how could you not notice his face? And how did a girl like you end up with a guy like him? I mean, we're perfect for each other, the two of us, Kenji and me, we both have great hair, great looks, great style, and we do art together!”
 
“In your dreams.” With a look of sarcasm Karina started to walk off until the girl called her name back.
 
“So do you think you can score a date `for me with Kenji'?” She asked in a fake sweet voice that just made Karina even more irritated.
 
Kenji is a completely different person once you get to know him…in a good way of course, and you can't force love on people because it just comes naturally. Whether he wants to date you or not is his choice, but I'm not gonna stand here and do all the dirty work for you, so you can kiss your luck goodbye unless he likes you back but for now, sayonara.” Karina didn't turn around, instead she just flicked her hand as a wave and walked off.
 
`Pathetic.' Karina thought, she knew those girls were true `nasty bitches' but not only that but they pretended to like Karina just because she was the only friend girl of Kenji's. They were using her to get closer to Kenji by simply acting, being stupid plus a whole load of lies that showed how desperate but annoying they were. To Karina, she only had a few friend girls that weren't so obsessed with Kenji but only a few.
 
Meanwhile Kenji was deeply moved by this… `conversation/speech.' By Karina's words, she meant that she didn't like him just because of his looks and his `fame' around the school, but because of his personality and qualities…maybe additional appearances but what was important was that looks didn't matter too much for Karina…unlike the nutcase-heads that roamed the school and stared at him 24/7, sometimes freaking him out whenever the super-obsessed people stalked him and followed him around watching his every move. But it was great to know that he had a true friend, it made him really happy, the first person to like him a lot without judging the outside first. He felt special and he wanted to treat Karina the same way to show his major appreciation.
 
End of Flashback
 
Their relationship just started like a flower, you know, love just slowly blossomed from a tiny seed, they had their troubles and the flower was struggling through change of season but now they were quite happy, or at least Kenji thought so, the flower bloomed for the first time. Little did he know difficult things were on their way to greet him, another word was `challenges and competition'.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------
 
Tohru wiped the rain drops off her face as the weather started to pour heavily, the clouds were turning grey and it was getting pretty windy. She held her umbrella above her head and used her spare hand to press the button on the intercom outside the Sohma residence/main house.
 
“It's Tohru Honda, I'd like to speak to Kyo if he's in there please.”
 
“I'm sorry but outsiders need a known identification or permission from the master Akito himself, do you have a reason to speak to Kyo?” The lady asked.
 
“Uhh… I just wanted to know if they were okay…I mean…umm…”
 
“I'm afraid he's not available at the moment, come back another time. Goodbye.”
 
“Wait!” Tohru called out as the intercom left a beep.
 
`Oh no…what am I gonna do? Kyo sounded really troubled, I hope he's okay…but…no…I should try the secret entrance that Momiji's sister Momo showed me…I know it's bad, but I'm really anxious.” Tohru thought as she walked towards the unknown doorway.
 
She slipped through the gap and bent down behind the bushes and made her way around the Sohma estate looking for a sign of either Kyo or Yuki.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------
 
“Well isn't this interesting…Karina, meet your father.” Akito broke the silence and walked out of the room.
 
“Karina, we should go now, there's nothing to talk about with this person.” Kyo grabbed her hand and tried to pull her out of the room.
 
“So you're here too? I never invited you, get out! You're not welcome here!” The man yelled out with hatred.
 
`Huh? Why are they acting like that towards each other?” Karina thought as Yuki stood on the other side of her in silence. Although she kind of had an impression that this man known as her father was not what she thought he would turn out like. She sensed something that wasn't good coming from his direction.
 
“Why did you cheat on your wife? Why did you even think of having an affair with my mother?” Karina interrupted the two of them.
 
“K-K-Karina, is that you're name?” Her father asked.
 
“Yes, you haven't even bothered to remember my name?”
 
“Of course I remember you're name..” He stuttered surprised at the frown that appeared on Karina's face as she answered.
 
“If you wanted to abandon your own daughter than maybe you shouldn't even have considered liking my mother.”
 
“Let me explain, it's difficult, I had no idea Nara was going to have a child.”
 
“Oh Nara is that her name? Well then why are you treating Kyo like a trash bag, and you know that he is you're son!”
 
“Just because he was born into this world in my family, doesn't mean I like him.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“Because he's a murde-“ Kyo whacked his hand on his father's mouth to stop him from talking.
 
“Karina, I really think the cat has a point somehow, maybe we should leave.” Yuki convinced her as he led her out of the room, she wanted to get to know her father more but in a way, she already hated him.
 
“Trust me you do not want to talk to that rotten person ever again.” Kyo stated as he walked out of the room clenching his fists and gritting his teeth together.
 
“He…he's not very fatherly like…no offence.”
 
“Offend him however you like, I really don't care about that stupid man.” Kyo replied but stopped as soon as he saw Tohru.
 
“Tohru? What are you doing here?” He questioned.
 
“Kyo! I was so worried, I thought something bad had happened to you, since you and Yuki left so fast…and…Karina? You're here…?” She said just as she reached Kyo and held onto his hand causing a blush on his face.
 
“I just met my father.” Karina explained.
 
“You mean…Kyo's father?”
 
“Yea…but he…he doesn't like me…I can tell and umm…yea.”
 
“Leaving so soon?” A strong but powerful voice caused heads turning. Akito was standing there at the gateway glaring at them.
 
“I have no intention in staying here anyway.” Kyo kept Tohru's hand linked to his and tried to walk past Akito.
 
“What are you doing here?” He stopped Tohru and slapped her hard on the cheek as Kyo, Karina and Yuki ran to her side.
 
“I never invited you to my home, nor did I invite Yuki or Kyo, but you…you're never allowed in the Sohma main house unless I ask you to come, how dare you violate my rules and simply come in here, how did you get through the gate anyway?” Akito asked a question that only Tohru & Momo knew about. But she couldn't reveal the secret, because if she did then Momo wouldn't be able to see her brother Momiji anymore even if it was just watching him play the violin.
 
“The entrance was open so I let myself in.” Tohru lied.
 
“You fool, you think I'm stupid enough to believe that I don't have enough security in my home.” Akito hit her on the other side, Tohru was now looking down, close to tears, Akito hit pretty hard, it was painful, indeed it was but she couldn't let them know about the secret way.
 
“Akito, she's telling the truth, really she is.” Yuki spoke up.
 
“You…shut up! If I ever see a lock of you're hair in this estate, I'll make sure you'll regret ever having set foot on this land.” Akito threatened.
 
“Yes, I'm sorry, I won't do it again, I promise.” Tohru kept her head down.
 
“You better! I was so considerate to let you meet you're father Karina and this is how you treat me, well fine, you're no part of the Sohma family, just because you have a last name that matches ours and just because you know about the curse, even with the excuse of being the cat's half sister, you don't belong here, and Tohru, you're even worse, I despise the cat as much as I despise you, you fell in love with the cat, ha, how strange, now get out all of you!” Akito pushed them out onto the road and shut the gate behind him.
 
Kyo was a bit dumbfounded about what Akito had said about Tohru falling in love with him…of course he knew he had already fallen in love with her, but he couldn't tell her that. But he wondered, was it true that she really liked him? `Probably not, after all, she has much bigger things to worry about than about us…or our relationship.' Kyo took a deep breath and looked at Tohru's cheek, apart from it being red, it looked better now…but still she was hurt…and so was Karina…Akito was so evil and Kyo hated him…even more than the rat himself.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------
 
“Hey Tohru, how's you're uhh…cheek?” Kyo entered the living room while passing her an ice pack.
 
“Better, thank you.” Tohru put on a smile that warmed Kyo's heart, she kindly took the ice pack from Kyo's hands and placed it against her cheek.
 
“Teenagers in love, maybe I should do that as a plot for my next novel.” Shigure laughed hysterically as he sat down on the couch between Tohru and Kyo.
 
“Shut up.” Kyo hissed.
 
“Aww…are you really that shy to talk about you're love for Tohru, I mean everyone knows you're little secret, you know how you scribble Tohru's name next to a bunch of love hearts on a piece of paper while watching T.V?” Shigure grinned.
 
“Hey I said, shut it you perverted old man!” Kyo sent Shigure flying outside the door.
 
Tohru went red when Shigure talked about the love hearts, she wasn't sure if it was true or not but if it was, then how adorable!
 
“Umm…so what would you like to have for dinner tomorrow night?”
 
“Anything…but leeks or miso.” Kyo gave her a friendly smirk as he left the room.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------
 
That night Karina chose to stay somewhere other than her own apartment, she was starting to get freaked about Akito showing up again and simply kidnapping her out of nowhere or else messing her room up while trying to injure her. She stayed at the local hotel and drank her hot chocolate as she watched the stars on the deck outside her suite on level 8. She was taking the time to appreciate stargazing now after her experience with Kenji outside of his home. Maybe; like what he said, she was staring at the sky above her in Tokyo while he, at the same time did the same in Nagoya. Luckily she had managed to find her cell phone, it started to ring, she expected someone like Kenji or Kyo to call her, but it was Yuki.
 
“Hi Yuki, everything okay?” Was her instant question since this was the first time that Yuki had actually called her on her cell-phone.
 
“Actually I was going to ask you the same thing…I mean after today, are you alright?”
 
“I guess…well one things for sure, I'm staying at a hotel tonight, I mean I'm scared of staying in my own apartment nowadays after Akito attacked…and kidnapped me…I don't think its safe for me there.”
 
“I really apologise, I never expected him to force you to meet you're father.”
 
“I didn't either…but do you know why my…uhh dad hates Kyo so much?”
 
“Well, let's just say he blames him for his mother's death…which in my opinion is quite inappropriate but I'm not too sure.” Yuki explained.
 
“That is so mean, it's not even funny, I really don't want to meet my father anymore now…he just seems so selfish and…and…heartless and to tell the truth, I'm kind of happy that I was adopted…in a way.”
 
“You have every right to say that, I'm sure you're adoptive mother would've appreciated and took care of you way better than that person.” Yuki agreed.
 
“Well thanks for you're support.”
“No problem…uhh…well just for a change, would you like to umm…perhaps come with me to the winter festival tomorrow that their holding in town?”
 
“And ice-skating?”
 
“…Ice skating? I uhh can't ice skate….” Yuki said nervously.
 
“Oh well, I'll teach ya.”
“Ok….umm…sure but don't expect me to be a professional.”
 
“I won't, trust me…..well….ok, great, I'll see you tomorrow then at the Winter festival, thanks!” Karina exclaimed.
 
“Your welcome, Goodnight.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------
 
Yuki stared out of his open window, writing in his notebook and happy that he had achieved at asking Karina out…however he didn't exactly mention to her that it was going to be a date…without being mean he kind of hoped that Karina wasn't actually dating that boy he saw at her apartment….Kenji, simply because he wanted to try his luck with Karina…she seemed to like him…but he wasn't too sure, it was just her ways of laughing that always made him have a fun time. He didn't know how it happened, it was just natural…like she started out as just a new girl and a good friend…but now that they all grew closer…she seemed more than that, Yuki started to notice things about her that he didn't notice before. It was hard to explain and he didn't want to define it or clarify it as love just yet…incase, since he was still caught in the net of Tohru and Kyo, but he wanted to get free from everything, learn to love another…..
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------
 
A/N: Once again, thanks for reading!! And without you're help/reviews I would never of continued this story, so thanks for you're effort in reviewing, please continue!! I would love to hear what you think of it so far! Bye!